Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-02-2011   #1
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Top rated safety!?

Pretty much all persons have Rahim Moore as the top rated safety in the draft.
Safety is really weak this year compared pervious drafts (especially last year).

however i have Quinton Carter as the top rated safety (there is not a lot separating the safety prospects this year).

He would more then likely be available at 10 in the 2nd round, and i think he would fit in perfectly at SS especially in wades system.
That is he can cover as well as play in the box.

He fits texans philosophy on the draft as well.
He is a leader, treats football as a job, exceptional person of the field (won the wooden award), mature (redshirted).
only thing is we dont draft safetys early .... but surely we change that this year.

What do you guys think about him??
Should we draft him??
Will he fit in our system??

i would be ecstatic if we were to draft him in the 2nd as i have been following him for a while now and to quote one of the great movies ... "Your my boy Blue(Quinton)"
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011   #2
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27437 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Top rated safety!?

As a pure FS I think Rahim Moore is better but I agree that Carter fits better with the Texans better as a SS. Carter is a FS that can play SS and as such would be a SS that can cover contrary to Pollard who could only play the run. I think Wade will want Safeties that can cover more than play the run. Picking between the 2 in the 2nd round will all depend on what Wade wants, a centerfielder in deep coverage who can help out with the opposing teams #1 WR (Moore), or a FS/SS tweener that can cover the TE and slot receivers helping out in the short yardage passing situation (Carter). Another guy that I like is Deandre McDaniels. I think he can play either Safety position but would be better at the SS position like Carter. He, like Carter, would fit the Texans system very well since Kubiak likes players that can play multiple positions thereby adding versatility to the team. Another guy of interest is Tyler Sash but I don't know anything about him. Jaiquawn Jarrett is another FS that I think will be better at SS because he doesn't have great speed and plays the run well with limited coverage ability.

We should be able to get Moore of Carter in the 2nd round. I prefer Moore. I think we need better coverage ability to help out our CB's who have limited coverage ability.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011   #3
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
As a pure FS I think Rahim Moore is better but I agree that Carter fits better with the Texans better as a SS. Carter is a FS that can play SS and as such would be a SS that can cover contrary to Pollard who could only play the run. I think Wade will want Safeties that can cover more than play the run. Picking between the 2 in the 2nd round will all depend on what Wade wants, a centerfielder in deep coverage who can help out with the opposing teams #1 WR (Moore), or a FS/SS tweener that can cover the TE and slot receivers helping out in the short yardage passing situation (Carter). Another guy that I like is Deandre McDaniels. I think he can play either Safety position but would be better at the SS position like Carter. He, like Carter, would fit the Texans system very well since Kubiak likes players that can play multiple positions thereby adding versatility to the team. Another guy of interest is Tyler Sash but I don't know anything about him. Jaiquawn Jarrett is another FS that I think will be better at SS because he doesn't have great speed and plays the run well with limited coverage ability.

We should be able to get Moore of Carter in the 2nd round. I prefer Moore. I think we need better coverage ability to help out our CB's who have limited coverage ability.
mark these words, there are at least a couple safeties who will be better pro's than Carter or Moore. That's not to say they won't be solid players @ the next level but this class is not deep @ the top, its deep in the middle.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011   #4
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27437 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
this class is not deep @ the top, its deep in the middle.
I agree with this completely, lots of good/decent mid level guys but no elite quality.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011   #5
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

UNC-S-Deunta-Williams is who I hope we get later in the draft. He's an intelligent playmaker with size. Every time I watch UNC games to checkout Quin or Austin it was Williams who stood out the most to me.
Old 04-02-2011   #6
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope we draft 2 or 3 safeties.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011   #7
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

safeties are unique athletes. two things seem to follow them, one is durability concerns, two is off field issues. so it would be a good idea to maybe draft at least a couple, a position you need to throw quality numbers at to fully address. my target round would be the 4th then throw in a 6th or 7th!

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-03-2011   #8
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

I like Deunta Williams. IMO, he ends up as the best pro. Take him in the 3rd and don't look back.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011   #9
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
UNC-S-Deunta-Williams is who I hope we get later in the draft. He's an intelligent playmaker with size. Every time I watch UNC games to checkout Quin or Austin it was Williams who stood out the most to me.
I agree, he also has enough size to play SS. Im hoping he falls to the 4th. I'd like to see something like this

Watt/Jordan DE
Paea NT
Chris Carter OLB
Deunta Williams SS/FS
Chris Culliver FS/KR
BPA
BPA

Sign a couple of good solid vets at CB, NT, and LB and let's roll.
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011   #10
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

I dont think you can leave Aaron Williams out of the discussion for the best Safety in this draft even if he's moving from CB to FS. He's got better speed than any of the others mentioned and has very good cover skills in both man and zone schemes. He moves to FS in the NFL because he doesnt quite have CB speed.

TCU's Colin Jones has a lot of potential could end being a steal in the 5th to 6th round.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011   #11
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by otisbean View Post
I agree, he also has enough size to play SS. Im hoping he falls to the 4th. I'd like to see something like this

Watt/Jordan DE
Paea NT
Chris Carter OLB
Deunta Williams SS/FS
Chris Culliver FS/KR
BPA
BPA

Sign a couple of good solid vets at CB, NT, and LB and let's roll.
Im down with this!
Old 04-06-2011   #12
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Im down with this!
As they say great minds think alike! Ha Ha
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011   #13
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I dont think you can leave Aaron Williams out of the discussion for the best Safety in this draft even if he's moving from CB to FS. He's got better speed than any of the others mentioned and has very good cover skills in both man and zone schemes. He moves to FS in the NFL because he doesnt quite have CB speed.

TCU's Colin Jones has a lot of potential could end being a steal in the 5th to 6th round.
Agreed

Williams is the best S prospect in this draft. He's worthy of the Texans #11 as a S. (Not that I'm advocating taking him without trading down.) He's big enough to play either S position at 6'0 and 205 LBS. Williams also is a solid open field tackler and has the hands to create turnovers. Williams is close to being on par with E.Thomas and Thomas went in the 1st Rd last yr.

Dont know much about Jones. But I've read that he's really fast and a great ST guy. This is the kind of guy I hope the Texans look at in the later rds. A guy with speed. Who will upgrade the ST's immediately and maybe can grow into a starting S. He certainly has the abilty to do this from what I've read.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011   #14
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm a big fan of Aaron Williams, I think he is a great football player. It would be very difficult for me to draft him in the first round as a safety though, it's too much of a risk IMO.

I will maintain my support of DeAndre McDaniel in the 2nd round.

As far as best safety, I would go with either Carter or McDaniel.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011   #15
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87952 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Arron Williams would play free safety where Quinn is ear marked to go. I think we should be looking more at Strong safety's early then Free safety's. Mcdaniel is a guy im looking for in the 3rd or 4th. Then we'll take a late flyer on a free safety in the 6/7 round.
Old 04-07-2011   #16
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
I'm a big fan of Aaron Williams, I think he is a great football player. It would be very difficult for me to draft him in the first round as a safety though, it's too much of a risk IMO.

I will maintain my support of DeAndre McDaniel in the 2nd round.

As far as best safety, I would go with either Carter or McDaniel.
I dont believe that there is a Safety in this draft that I would take in the first round .... But I maintain that Aaron Williams is the best Safety Prospect in this draft.

If he were available when the Texans pick in the second round , I'd make that pick without looking back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post
Arron Williams would play free safety where Quinn is ear marked to go. I think we should be looking more at Strong safety's early then Free safety's. Mcdaniel is a guy im looking for in the 3rd or 4th. Then we'll take a late flyer on a free safety in the 6/7 round.
Moving Quin to FS creates a need at another , probably more important position. Also there is no guarantee that Quin will play as well at FS as he did at CB potentially making two positions worse in the process.

Old 04-07-2011   #17
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87952 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Moving Quin to FS creates a need at another , probably more important position. Also there is no guarantee that Quin will play as well at FS as he did at CB potentially making two positions worse in the process.
Keeping Quin at cornerback does not solve that problem. We saw the results last year.

I'm more willing to think of Quin as a starter and a solution at Fs then i am at cornerback. At least moving Quin to Fs gives him a chance to help this team. As a cornerback hes part of the problem.
Old 04-07-2011   #18
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post
Keeping Quin at cornerback does not solve that problem. We saw the results last year.

I'm more willing to think of Quin as a starter and a solution at Fs then i am at cornerback. At least moving Quin to Fs gives him a chance to help this team. As a cornerback hes part of the problem.
I'd rather find a top tier FA CB , move Quinn to the #2 CB spot essentially making Kareem Jackson , opps he fell down while I typed this post , the nickel guy like he should have been early last season instead of throwing him to the wolves.

Jackson is much more a part of the problem than is Quin at CB .....

Old 04-07-2011   #19
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'd rather find a top tier FA CB , move Quinn to the #2 CB spot essentially making Kareem Jackson , opps he fell down while I typed this post , the nickel guy like he should have been early last season instead of throwing him to the wolves.

Jackson is much more a part of the problem than is Quin at CB .....
It seems to me that they were all coached pretty poorly. I think that much is a given. When a whole unit plays so poorly, clearly coaching is the #1 problem. Having said that, its very hard to see who is part of the problem or solution when the coaching sucks and all the players are so young.

Jackson was a good corner at Alabama playing against receivers like Percy Harvin, AJ Green and Julio Jones (practice). His performance last year isn't representative of what he can bring to this team. We just need to continue the good coaching he received at Alabama in order for him to be effective. He's clearly not a Deion-esque natural.

I am in favor of leaving Quin at corner and bolstering both safety and corner through free agency. Drafting a safety is also a necessity, preferably in the first 3 rounds.

Aaron Williams in the second is something I would be on board with, but if McDaniel is there I prefer him.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011   #20
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
It seems to me that they were all coached pretty poorly. I think that much is a given. When a whole unit plays so poorly, clearly coaching is the #1 problem. Having said that, its very hard to see who is part of the problem or solution when the coaching sucks and all the players are so young.

Jackson was a good corner at Alabama playing against receivers like Percy Harvin, AJ Green and Julio Jones (practice). His performance last year isn't representative of what he can bring to this team. We just need to continue the good coaching he received at Alabama in order for him to be effective. He's clearly not a Deion-esque natural.
I dont know what to think of that defense , its essentially the same team minus D-Rob with Jackson taking his place that from game three to game 16 the season before played pretty damn well.
Its the same coach who took a broken defense and turned it into a better than respectable defense ....

That improved defense was a big part of why the expectations for last year were so high , for them to flop like that was totally unexpected.

I will place a large portion of the blame on the coaching staff for not solving an issue that plagued them from the first to the last game of the season - getting beaten between the corner and LB or between the corner and safety. with the latter being as close to a sure thing for opposing offenses as it gets.

Quote:
I am in favor of leaving Quin at corner and bolstering both safety and corner through free agency. Drafting a safety is also a necessity, preferably in the first 3 rounds.

Aaron Williams in the second is something I would be on board with, but if McDaniel is there I prefer him.

Thats what I'd like to see , FA corner , FA safety and drafting at least one safety in the top half of the draft while leaving Quin at CB.

It just seems counterproductive , more of a lateral move to have Quin switch positions "possibly" strengthening the FS position at the expense of the CB spot which is probably the more important position.

The difference is that I prefer Williams to McDaniel , maybe its the orange blood in me but I believe Williams to be the better player with a much higher ceiling.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read