Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 03-29-2011   #1
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 87068 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Adrian Peterson says NFL is "Modern Day Slavery"

Quote:
ďItís modern-day slavery, you know?Ē Peterson said.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...at-nfl-owners/

Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011   #2
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101274 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Adrian Peterson says NFL is "Modern Day Slavery"

And it's stuff like this that makes me think the players are more deserving of a drastic pay cut. They've got no idea how great they've had it, and comparing themselves to slaves is just disrespectful to real slaves before them and to current slaves that don't make a dime while NFL players are all rich.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011   #3
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 128746 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

If that's slavery...then ENSLAVE my BLAGG-AZZ!
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011   #4
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 54346 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Does Adrian know that he can just walk away, real slaves can't.

Just walk away and find a job where you don't feel like a slave.

What a douche.

Old 03-29-2011   #5
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread-Head View Post
Ha Ha Ha!!! And my brown nalgas too!!!

This is why I don't get mad at dudes when they say it so demanding because demanding job and slavery are two very opposite things.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011   #6
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
And it's stuff like this that makes me think the players are more deserving of a drastic pay cut. They've got no idea how great they've had it, and comparing themselves to slaves is just disrespectful to real slaves before them and to current slaves that don't make a dime while NFL players are all rich.
He alone certainly doesn't represent the other couple thousand football players. Not all of them are like that, so there's no reason to generalize their entire side of the labor argument based on AP's comments.
Old 03-29-2011   #7
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't want this to sound or come off the wrong way but I've often thought about this. At the end of the day the NFL (each franchise) is a business. You have your Owner/CEO and he's paying others to provide the service or make the product. I do think NFL players can be treated or viewed as a commodity at times when thinking the ability to trade one asset for another. That's really the difference between the NFL and any other business out there. A typical employee can say "I quit" but depending on the industry they may be restricted to non-compete clauses... NFL players have a harder time doing that. If they say "I quit" they're free to work in any other industry they can find a job.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-29-2011   #8
chicagotexan2
IDBLDogDareU

Rep Power: 134405 chicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I know whites had black slaves, but will also take Mexican landscapers. If so, I'm in.
Old 03-29-2011   #9
Hagar
Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Rep Power: 8880 Hagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
I do think NFL players can be treated or viewed as a commodity at times when thinking the ability to trade one asset for another. That's really the difference between the NFL and any other business out there.
That's true to an extent. I have several friends who work in the construction for Bechtel. Like the NFL, Bechtel pays really, really well. And, like the NFL, when the project is over, you move on to the next one, no matter where it may be. Some jobs are here in the states, some are international but almost all of them are somewhere else other than home.

The players knew what they were getting into when they put themselves up for the draft and this is nowhere near slavery.
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011   #10
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm waiting for a white player to say this...
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011   #11
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I had no idea Adrian Peterson was this stupid. I mean, it's not like I had some mental picture of him cranking out calculus in the off-season or working on his comprehensive 22 volume "History of Human Achievement" study but I thought he was of average intelligence.

Reading this I am surprised to learn that he's a complete imbecile.

Comments like this make me think the NFL owners should pay out all remaining contracts and institute a standardized wage scale for all players topping out at $250,000 per year or something. Just put it out there and pay whoever will play that money to play for their teams. Completely eviscerate the players and make labor costs a non-factor forever. At this point the NFL is THE NFL. If all their best players bolted to another league I'm still not convinced that the NFL wouldn't still hold their ground putting whoever would sign for that kind of money on the field.
Old 03-31-2011   #12
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I had no idea Adrian Peterson was this stupid. I mean, it's not like I had some mental picture of him cranking out calculus in the off-season or working on his comprehensive 22 volume "History of Human Achievement" study but I thought he was of average intelligence.

Reading this I am surprised to learn that he's a complete imbecile.

Comments like this make me think the NFL owners should pay out all remaining contracts and institute a standardized wage scale for all players topping out at $250,000 per year or something. Just put it out there and pay whoever will play that money to play for their teams. Completely eviscerate the players and make labor costs a non-factor forever. At this point the NFL is THE NFL. If all their best players bolted to another league I'm still not convinced that the NFL wouldn't still hold their ground putting whoever would sign for that kind of money on the field.

I have to agree with you. Other than the top 10% of players, I think that the difference between the majority of NFL players and the guys sitting at home who got cut from the practice squad and are now earning minimum wage is coaching, motivation, opportunity.

THE Nfl is marketing first and foremost. If coke changed flavors and the "real" coke flavor went into RC cola you know what most consumers would buy? Coke. Because its coke.

Cowboys fans aren't going to start cheering for the dallas tornados or something just because Tony Romo is the QB.
Old 04-01-2011   #13
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

At the bottom of the article it says that this was originally a Yahoo story. Does anyone have the link to the original Yahoo article?

Nevermind I found it. Here's the Yahoo article, it's #2 on their list.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_yl...lockout_033011
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011   #14
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202148 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

From Rotoworld.

Quote:
Free agent RB Patrick Cobbs is latest player to support Adrian Peterson's comments comparing the NFL to "modern-day slavery."
"I wouldn't say slave. But we are at the mercy of [owners]," Cobbs said. "Obviously, we all love to play the game. But I think at times we are slaves. They tell us to jump and we jump. ... I can see where [Peterson] is coming from. So that's like slaves. But we're not slaves because we get paid pretty well to do it." This preposterous message has been so consistent that it suggests NFLPA leaders have indoctrinated all members with the propaganda.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011   #15
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

My boss tells me to do something, and then I do it. Ipso facto I am a slave?
Old 04-01-2011   #16
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 128746 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
My boss tells me to do something, and then I do it. Ipso facto I am a slave?

You damn right boy! Now you best get in your Ferarri and go back to your mansion! And because you don't know your place...you only get the Chateau la fite Rothschild 72! And you're gonna drink that off year...until you learn some respect!
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011   #17
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

"I wouldn't say slave. But we are at the mercy of [owners]," Cobbs said.
-----from the C'D post above
All I can say is welcome to the real world dumb-azz. That's what just about
everybody has to do, say "how high" when their boss tells them to jump. Go tryout for the Canadian football league if you don't like the NFL.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011   #18
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
"I wouldn't say slave. But we are at the mercy of [owners]," Cobbs said.
-----from the C'D post above
All I can say is welcome to the real world dumb-azz. That's what just about
everybody has to do, say "how high" when their boss tells them to jump. Go tryout for the Canadian football league if you don't like the NFL
Or better yet, be grateful your talent allows you to make far more money than the average person. For most of the NFL players, if they didn't have football, they would be flipping burgers at McDonalds. They have no other marketable skills outside of football.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011   #19
JPPT1974
Autumn Winds

Rep Power: 864 JPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respected

Players overlook those of us that are striving to put food on the table while making ends meet. Those that don't have jobs and those that have jobs cut back. It is really hard to find also a job, that you love to go to and come home from.

Also, those that throw their money away, really it is because of bad management on their money. Or their agents/managers have run off with the money.

Adrian needs to see people that aren't as fortunate as he is. He and other players need to be in our shoes.
Old 04-06-2011   #20
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 127050 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Throw this pasty-white ass in too!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read