Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 03-24-2011   #1
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 248345 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default You're being interviewed for the Detroit Lions...

Early 2009.

The GM/owner (whoever) asks you how long it would take you to make that a playoff team, what would you tell him?

Remember, the Packers are up & comers at this time, not the hands down favorite to reach the Super Bowl, the Bears look dysfunctional & on a downward slide, and the Vikings look like the teAm to beat.

You don't have Ndamakung Suh, & though you have the first pick in the draft, at the time of this interview, it isn't guaranteed Suh would be that pick.

So, "Im very interested in having you coach my team. How long would it be before you would have my team in the play-offs?"
Old 03-24-2011   #2
Lucky

Rep Power: 163616 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: You're being interviewed for the Detroit Lions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
So, "Im very interested in having you coach my team. How long would it be before you would have my team in the play-offs?"
Playoffs? Playoffs? You gotta be kidding me? Playoffs?

Signed,
Gary Kubiak

You've got the years mixed up. The Lions drafted Matthew Stafford #1 in 2009 and Ndamukong Suh #2 in 2010.
Old 03-25-2011   #3
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Answer:

I don't know, but my real plan is to let this team continue to suck until I get fired and am offered a lesser position with a better team. Eventually, I will be the HC of that other team....or another good team. That way, I get what I want and the Lions don't lose anything....because, you know....you suck already...

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011   #4
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

5 years at least....
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011   #5
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 263816 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

5 years.

There's a lot that needs to be fixed and we've got to change a culture that's been around for a long time.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011   #6
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 102049 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

I wouldn't hire any potential coach that told me 5 years. Interview would be over. That would tell me that the coach is a loser with a poor ambition, and unfortunately that's the same thinking Gary Kubiak had when he was hired.

I'd tell the GM that we're probably looking at 3 years, but if things bounce the right way and we can over achieve some, then 2 years wouldn't be out of the question since quick turn arounds happen a lot more frequently than people especially in here like to give credit for. I'd tell the GM that we'd be out there playing very competitive football and that the culture was going to completely change there and the Lions would no longer look like a bunch of jokes and that they'd be feared after one season and that any player or coaches on the staff that can't move as fast as I expect to and roll with the pace that I'd be setting for this team's turn around and potential run at the SB would be getting possibly traded or shipped out of there for players who are ready to make a run.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011   #7
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 36959 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

The Lions are on the right track if Stafford would just stay healthy.
Sponsored links
Old 03-25-2011   #8
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

I would say 3, but in my mind I would be thinking 4. Turnarounds can happen quickly in the NFL, but the Lions had a lot of suckitude back then.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011   #9
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 36959 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
I would say 3, but in my mind I would be thinking 4. Turnarounds can happen quickly in the NFL, but the Lions had a lot of suckitude back then.
I don't think they are like that anymore and ought to continue to improve.
Old 03-25-2011   #10
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 263816 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

If I was the GM or owner of the 2008 0-16 Lions and someone told me less than 4 years, I'd think they were a liar just trying to feed me some sunshine to get a job. Or maybe brain damaged.

It had been 9 years since that team had been to the playoffs and 8 years since their last winning record. They were coming off the worst season in NFL history.

Even 4 years would be optimistic to me. 5 years is doable but doubtful.
Old 03-25-2011   #11
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
Yeah, they're not like that 2 years removed from the 0-16 season but the question is how long would you expect it to take to build a playoff team from the 2008 Lions... not the 2010 Lions.
Old 03-25-2011   #12
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd look at them square in the eye, tilt my head to the side, raise my arms so they outstretched to either side and say,

What’s that? Ah — Playoffs? Don’t talk about — playoffs? You kidding me? Playoffs? I just hope we can win a game!

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011   #13
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 102049 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
If I was the GM or owner of the 2008 0-16 Lions and someone told me less than 4 years, I'd think they were a liar just trying to feed me some sunshine to get a job. Or maybe brain damaged.

It had been 9 years since that team had been to the playoffs and 8 years since their last winning record. They were coming off the worst season in NFL history.

Even 4 years would be optimistic to me. 5 years is doable but doubtful.
And see that's the problem with a lot of Texans fans. It's a "it will take a decade" mentality to find success and possibly greatness attitude that simply is an under achieving mind set. It's been proven time and time again that you can turn a team around in the NFL if you get the right coach in place and who can make enough off season moves to fill holes and have a good draft and more importantly change the attitude and the grit of an entire team. Teams have been changed from horrible offenses or horrible defenses into very good ones in one off season. It just depends on what changes are made and what new personal gets added. But to have a mentality that it takes 4 to 5 years on the quick end is like living in the stone age of the NFL.

And what the Lions did 6 or 7 years prior to the new coach coming in is completely irrelevant. That just tells that there has been a losing culture there for a while, but the only thing that really matters is what is there now and what needs to be done from last season to this first season for the new coach. Changing the culture of being a loser into a team with a ton of confidence is the first thing that needs to be done and every coach isn't capable of that. Some are and that's exactly why teams like the Chiefs and the Saints turned their teams around very quickly and over achieved. Taking a bottom feeder and turning it into a playoff team can be done pretty fast with a good HC/GM and staff that won't accept losing and has high goals from the start.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011   #14
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The prompt is set a couple years in the past. I think the Lions have a real shot at the playoffs not this upcoming year, but the one after.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011   #15
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Things can turn very quickly for teams in the NFL.

The Texans weer supposed to make the play-offs a few years ago when Capers was still the coach. An up and coming team can become a bottom feeder just as quickly as an 0-16 team can become a contender.

2-3 years is a long time to get a team to reach the play-offs. Especially in a division where there is no team that is consistently dominant.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011   #16
gary
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Yeah, they're not like that 2 years removed from the 0-16 season but the question is how long would you expect it to take to build a playoff team from the 2008 Lions... not the 2010 Lions.
Yhea, but they are making great strides in just about two years. If they sign a top tier free agent or two and have a good draft then you just never know this year if there is any football.
Old 03-25-2011   #17
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yhea, but they are making great strides in just about two years. If they sign a top tier free agent or two and have a good draft then you just never know this year if there is any football.
Good point.

I could easily see Detroit making the play-offs next year as a wild card
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011   #18
gary
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Good point.

I could easily see Detroit making the play-offs next year as a wild card
Just think if Stafford stays under center as well.
Old 03-25-2011   #19
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 251514 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd tell them that I could have the Lions in the playoffs within three years or.... if the owner thought we were on the right track (stop laughing) and believed in what I was doing I'd coach the fourth year for a token salary of a dollar or something like that.

That's assuming I had what I thought was the necessary input into personnel decisions and/or believed in the GM/owner who was hiring me. I think that no truly competent coach with a capable and determined owner/GM should take longer than 3 years to win with a team. Sure there are teams that win but still miss the playoffs but I think if you're winning 10 games by year 3 you're pretty much there.
Old 03-25-2011   #20
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
And see that's the problem with a lot of Texans fans. It's a "it will take a decade" mentality to find success and possibly greatness attitude that simply is an under achieving mind set. It's been proven time and time again that you can turn a team around in the NFL if you get the right coach in place and who can make enough off season moves to fill holes and have a good draft and more importantly change the attitude and the grit of an entire team. Teams have been changed from horrible offenses or horrible defenses into very good ones in one off season. It just depends on what changes are made and what new personal gets added. But to have a mentality that it takes 4 to 5 years on the quick end is like living in the stone age of the NFL.

And what the Lions did 6 or 7 years prior to the new coach coming in is completely irrelevant. That just tells that there has been a losing culture there for a while, but the only thing that really matters is what is there now and what needs to be done from last season to this first season for the new coach. Changing the culture of being a loser into a team with a ton of confidence is the first thing that needs to be done and every coach isn't capable of that. Some are and that's exactly why teams like the Chiefs and the Saints turned their teams around very quickly and over achieved. Taking a bottom feeder and turning it into a playoff team can be done pretty fast with a good HC/GM and staff that won't accept losing and has high goals from the start.
There are so many things that you've written here that I disagree with that we'll just have to agree to disagree.

But I just wanted to say this about the bolded part.

How can a fan's attitude be a problem? My attitude isn't what caused us to go 6-10 last season. My attitude means absolutely nothing. Do you think that if everyone felt the way you did and all of us Texan fans were beating the "Fire Kubiak" drum 2-3 years ago that we'd have a winning team here now? Do you think that every coach should be given 2 years and then fired if they're not in the playoffs? Really?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read