Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 03-22-2011   #1
axman40
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 38657 axman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default NFL upsets related to spike in domestic violence calls

Some people just can't keep their cool when they're sure-thing football game turns into an upset, it seems.
A new U.S. study has found a 10% rise in domestic violence calls to police in areas where the local NFL team lost a game they were favoured to win.
Researchers analyzed 900 regular-season pro-football games and found that calls reporting men's assaults on their partners went up during a three-hour window that runs roughly from the final hour of a game in which the local team was not performing well as expected to the two hours following the upset loss.
When teams won unexpectedly or lost games that were expected to be close, there was no decrease in reports of violence.
"Our results suggest that the overall rise in violence between the intimate partners we studied is driven entirely by losses in games that matter most to fans," said David Card, one of the study's co-authors.
http://www.torontosun.com/sports/foo.../17712576.html
Old 03-22-2011   #2
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 64918 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: NFL upsets related to spike in domestic violence calls

And these people give us good guys a bad name. My wife always "jokes" that I'm in a bad mood after games which is untrue and she knows that. She just likes to run with the stereotype and picks on me. It started to annoy me so she stopped but every once in a while she can't resist...

Hope we don't become another 911 statistic.
Old 03-22-2011   #3
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 398704 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I find it sad that anyone's emotional state is directly tied to the outcome of an entertainment diversion.

35-3 broke me of that a long time ago. It's just a friggin' football game.
Old 03-22-2011   #4
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 64918 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I find it sad that anyone's emotional state is directly tied to the outcome of an entertainment diversion.

Don't let me catch you jumping for joy when we win the Super Bowl!!

Old 03-22-2011   #5
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9755 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

****, I know a Texans loss makes me punch my girl...()
Old 03-22-2011   #6
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 109012 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

I have invented a few new curse words after Texans losses, thats about it though.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011   #7
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Why did you have to remind me of that game again!!!!
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-22-2011   #8
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 398704 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroGSXR View Post
Don't let me catch you jumping for joy when we win the Super Bowl!!

The ironic thing about what I said is that it shows that I'm just as guilty of the thing that I find sad.

I've never had high hopes for the Texans, as they have never really given us something to believe in. That being said, I know that I will get wrapped up in it when they eventually get there.

However, I will always keep it in context. Even if our team wins the Super Bowl, I'll still have to wake up on Monday morning and go to work. I guess it's just perspective of maturity.

I can't imagine beating my wife because a team I follow lost, though.
Old 03-22-2011   #9
Hagar
Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Rep Power: 8880 Hagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respected

I wonder if there are an inordinate number of babies born 9 months after an upset win.
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011   #10
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 34380 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

I do the same thing after a win or loss...walk away...

except after a W, I might say "**** yeah..." or "beat yo asses at your house..." something good...but nothing more.
Old 03-22-2011   #11
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 172517 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The ironic thing about what I said is that it shows that I'm just as guilty of the thing that I find sad.

I've never had high hopes for the Texans, as they have never really given us something to believe in. That being said, I know that I will get wrapped up in it when they eventually get there.

However, I will always keep it in context. Even if our team wins the Super Bowl, I'll still have to wake up on Monday morning and go to work. I guess it's just perspective of maturity.

I can't imagine beating my wife because a team I follow lost, though.
Feeling happy about a win our your team doing well is a good thing. Share the positive feelings with all in your world. I don't think it's hypocritical to use your maturity and lifeskills to ward off the negative in "hard times" yet share the wealth in "good times."

I too have learned to smile and get off the game ASAP when the stuff hits the fan. I'm a Houstonian, I live in Austin, but I'm a Houstonian. What better place to learn these skills at a COLLEGE PHD level?....lol. Howver, when things are clicking my team's way (IIRC ) all around me reap the benefits of our good fortune.

Having said all that I still feel the need to compartmentalize my feelings and kick the dog through the hedges when nobody is looking....

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read