Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2011   #101
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: McNair: "We're not going to do something we think is crazy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
...What if Franco Harris didn't catch that ball out of midair or it was called incomplete?What if Renfro was said to have both feet down?What if the Seahawks didn't have 10 unfortunate calls against them in the SB? It didn't happen and Kraft didn't luck into his string of SBs...
He DID make that catch!

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011   #102
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
He DID make that catch!
Completely agree!!
Old 03-23-2011   #103
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54086 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

I am not kidding myself all I know what the Texans have been doing since they became a team has not worked out for whatever reason.
Old 03-23-2011   #104
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
Nothing you say can be taken seriously after the bolded..

Hyperbole at its finest....really 25 drew brees types... every year? really? Furthermore, is it really the Texans FO fault that players use them as a team to help up the ante for teams they want to play for? If anything that makes the Texans FO look better b/c what it means is that they are fielding competitive offers to these guys.
Did I say "every year"? No, I didn't. You said I did.

Yet you're the one saying that people will just read into McNair's comments whatever they wish. Pot meet kettle much?

As far as anyone believing everything I say...man, just give it a break already. This is a message board. There is truth, hyperbole, sarcasm, opinion, drunk incoherent rambling (I'm looking at you, Texan Bill) all intertwined with one another.

What we have to go on is this team's past, and the actions of the owner juxtaposed with his words. After nine years, what you hear (from Bob) and what you get (from Bob) are usually not the same thing.

(see, I'm trying to veer us from a one-on-one spat with each other and back to the main topic)

We're not going to add an impact player. We're going to add a mystery meat guy who they think Wade or Gary can "coach up." Both these coaches said they could make do with what they were given by McNair, there'll be no top-flight players headed this way unless said players are looking for Easy Street in terms of just cashing checks with no real promise of getting a ring.
Old 03-23-2011   #105
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You still don't understand the concept. No one is linking them like spending = win. But there has been links in the past to spending on TOP football players and an upgrade on a team....guys that are tops at their position. Let's also not fool ourselves that these teams don't spend money or make moves...Pats trade for Moss. They just aren't afraid to let go of guys before their time is up and replace them. All of these things are foreign here. Again I'm not advocating outbidding everyone by 5 mil to grab Aso. I'm asking to compete for him and see if he bites. Be willing to move a million or so to get a top of the line star.

You may not HF, but some here do...see steelbtexan's post i responded to. To add to that point, people wouldn't be referencing the money Mcnair's making from the texans if they didn't think that the guy was being cheap in FA.

As for Moss, He was thought largely to be done when he went to NE, hardly a top FA on the order of acquiring a caliber player like Aso.

Look, I'm not saying that those teams didn't spend money in FA...they do/have. Their moves however have been similar to how the texans have made moves in FA though...patch player here, patch player there, no one really notable.

At the end of the day, No one outside of kirby really knows if they're fielding or at least prepared to field competing offers to these top guys. We're mainly just assuming b/c we haven't landed those guys & b/c we haven't won anything. As if, the player/agent don't have a role in all of this. As if it's simply a matter of fielding a competitive offer. There's so much more that goes into landing guys in FA....double that crap when it's a highly sought after FA. So in the end, you might not be saying outbid everyone by 5 mil, but that's what it takes to land these guys when you're a team with no history, no tradition & no recent success.

I mean really, would it make it any more tolerable to watch this team lose year in & out if we knew for a fact that they fielded competitive offers to the top guys in FA for the last 9 years? Odds are for most fans probably not.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011   #106
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 286663 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Old 03-23-2011   #107
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You may not HF, but some here do...see steelbtexan's post i responded to. To add to that point, people wouldn't be referencing the money Mcnair's making from the texans if they didn't think that the guy was being cheap in FA.

As for Moss, He was thought largely to be done when he went to NE, hardly a top FA on the order of acquiring a caliber player like Aso.

Look, I'm not saying that those teams didn't spend money in FA...they do/have. Their moves however have been similar to how the texans have made moves in FA though...patch player here, patch player there, no one really notable.

At the end of the day, No one outside of kirby really knows if they're fielding or at least prepared to field competing offers to these top guys. We're mainly just assuming b/c we haven't landed those guys & b/c we haven't won anything. As if, the player/agent don't have a role in all of this. As if it's simply a matter of fielding a competitive offer. There's so much more that goes into landing guys in FA....double that crap when it's a highly sought after FA. So in the end, you might not be saying outbid everyone by 5 mil, but that's what it takes to land these guys when you're a team with no history, no tradition & no recent success.

I mean really, would it make it any more tolerable to watch this team lose year in & out if we knew for a fact that they fielded competitive offers to the top guys in FA for the last 9 years? Odds are for most fans probably not.
I'll agree with this paragraph. I think early on with the facilities, city, newness etc they could woo some guys...I think as the years have added up and the losing has continued, I'm not sure getting guys here is easier and I'm not sure if McNair would outbid anyone if it got to that.
Old 03-23-2011   #108
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You still don't understand the concept. No one is linking them like spending = win. But there has been links in the past to spending on TOP football players and an upgrade on a team....guys that are tops at their position. Let's also not fool ourselves that these teams don't spend money or make moves...Pats trade for Moss. They just aren't afraid to let go of guys before their time is up and replace them. All of these things are foreign here. Again I'm not advocating outbidding everyone by 5 mil to grab Aso. I'm asking to compete for him and see if he bites. Be willing to move a million or so to get a top of the line star.
I certainly want them to talk to Aso but frankly I have concerns about the wisdom of it. Is he willing to take a pay cut from the absurd contract he has been playing under or is he going to want a raise? He has been making over 50% more than the CB franchise tag cost ($9.5 mil) and that number is elevated substantially by his contract. A reasonable approach to me seems to call up and offer a long term deal at franchise tag range numbers. But if he wants as much or more than he just got, $15 mil per year, I'd say thanks and hang up.
Old 03-23-2011   #109
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54086 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected

I would sign a CB or two who is top notch but not the best and then look for a DT. DE and a strong safety is another safe bet. That being said if Aso wants to come here I would not just turn my head the other way of course.
Old 03-23-2011   #110
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I certainly want them to talk to Aso but frankly I have concerns about the wisdom of it. Is he willing to take a pay cut from the absurd contract he has been playing under or is he going to want a raise? He has been making over 50% more than the CB franchise tag cost ($9.5 mil) and that number is elevated substantially by his contract. A reasonable approach to me seems to call up and offer a long term deal at franchise tag range numbers. But if he wants as much or more than he just got, $15 mil per year, I'd say thanks and hang up.
You know what...that may be prudent but at least I'd applaud that effort. I'd might even offer 16 and then see who bids..maybe if your close debate higher. You could bring him in for talks. Try and convince him that he is the missing piece and that he has an O that can put up points if he does his part. You would at least like to see it. I actually think Cromartie would be worth it but I think we all know that guy isn't coming near Reliant with his background. I'd be highly surprised.
Old 03-23-2011   #111
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
I would sign a CB or two who is top notch but not the best and then look for a DT. DE and a strong safety is another safe bet. That being said if Aso wants to come here I would not just turn my head the other way of course.
I think we're all on the same page with that. If Aso expresses interest i'm sure the texans FO would listen..as they did with schoebel. Where the departure is among fans is some believe pay him whatever he wants just get him here, while others have no issue with the FO hanging up if he's being ridiculous.
Old 03-23-2011   #112
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
You know what...that may be prudent but at least I'd applaud that effort. I'd might even offer 16 and then see who bids. You could bring him in for talks. Try and convince him that he is the missing piece and that he has an O that can put up points if he does his part. I actually think Cromartie would be worth it but I think we all know that guy isn't coming near Reliant with his background. I'd be highly surprised.
chances are though HF, if they simply called him up & didn't like what they heard....you'd never hear of that being done & the perception would be that we never even inquired about him in the 1st place. Having said that, we know this place would be going bat s&*^ crazy.
Old 03-23-2011   #113
gary
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I think we're all on the same page with that. If Aso expresses interest i'm sure the texans FO would listen..as they did with schoebel. Where the departure is among fans is some believe pay him whatever he wants just get him here, while others have no issue with the FO hanging up if he's being ridiculous.
The Texans have multi needs on defense which is why they should not break the bank for any one player.
Old 03-23-2011   #114
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You know what...that may be prudent but at least I'd applaud that effort. I'd might even offer 16 and then see who bids..maybe if your close debate higher. You could bring him in for talks. Try and convince him that he is the missing piece and that he has an O that can put up points if he does his part. You would at least like to see it. I actually think Cromartie would be worth it but I think we all know that guy isn't coming near Reliant with his background. I'd be highly surprised.
I just think that is too much money or more importantly (since it isn't my money) too high a percentage of the salary cap (anticipating there will be one again) for any player other than the QB and even then only for an ultra elite QB. If he won't see he has been dramatically over payed by a senile owner I would rather see them sign Brent Grimes and Eric Weddle (and probably still save money).
Old 03-23-2011   #115
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 398918 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He fired him after three seasons because Carroll was handed a team that had been in the SB and it got worse each year under Carroll's coaching. So no that isn't similar to Kubiak's situation at all. Of course that makes projections of what Kraft would have done based on those events unrealistic as well.
I never said different.

Quote:
Kraft fired Pete Carroll after going to the playoffs for two seasons. He fired him after an 8-8 season!!!
I stated what happened. You stated why it happened.

I never said it was similar to Kubiak's situation, as I wasn't comparing coaches. I was making a point about owners and that bringing Kraft into a discussion about McNair is just illogical. Even by your own point, Kraft holds his staff accountable for getting worse, which is the complete opposite of our owner. Spin it however you want, but it doesn't change that simple fact.

My entire point was that Dale was simply wrong in trying to attribute Kraft's success to a "series of fortunate events to begin his success in New England". If Dale cannot admit he misspoke, then he can just be a know-it-all in his own mind, because I know better as a fan of NFL history.
Old 03-23-2011   #116
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 107220 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Just offer Aso a controling share of the Texans, Rockets and Astros... and a Yao Ming autograph. That should get him here.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011   #117
gary
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike View Post
Just offer Aso a controling share of the Texans, Rockets and Astros... and a Yao Ming autograph. That should get him here.

Mike
Yao Ming might even give him a nice meal.
Old 03-23-2011   #118
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 82308 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

I have a solution: A CBA is reached and the Texans win 12 games this season. Then, we all get together for some serious tailgating for our first home divisional playoff game. Keep that second or third Sunday in January. I'll buy the first beer for each one of you. We'll be in an RV in the orange lot. Just PM your commitment to attend. I'll take care of the food, too. See you in 10 months!
Old 03-23-2011   #119
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I stated what happened. You stated why it happened.
Yup and it makes a difference.

Quote:
I never said it was similar to Kubiak's situation, as I wasn't comparing coaches.
Never said you did. I was adding detail.

Quote:
I was making a point about owners and that bringing Kraft into a discussion about McNair is just illogical. Even by your own point, Kraft holds his staff accountable for getting worse, which is the complete opposite of our owner. Spin it however you want, but it doesn't change that simple fact.
Well I would say you are the one spinning here if you try to act like you know what Kraft would have done with Kubiak. We agree Carroll and Kubiak came into totally dissimilar situations. But somehow you want to project that an owner who put up with three progressively worse years of results would have been quicker on the draw when this is Kubiak's first year of regression. Look at that again 3 progressively worse years v. 1 year of regression. That's not an argument for Kubiak not being fired so don't confuse that.

Dale can speak to the fortunate events stuff.
Old 03-23-2011   #120
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Quote:
Yup and it makes a difference.

Never said you did. I was adding detail.

Well I would say you are the one spinning here if you try to act like you know what Kraft would have done with Kubiak. We agree Carroll and Kubiak came into totally dissimilar situations. But somehow you want to project that an owner who put up with three progressively worse years of results would have been quicker on the draw when this is Kubiak's first year of regression. Look at that again 3 progressively worse years v. 1 year of regression. That's not an argument for Kubiak not being fired so don't confuse that.

Dale can speak to the fortunate events stuff.
I know you aren't saying what Kubiak has done is commendable or that he should still be here but 5 years of no playoffs and 1 regression from .500 type ball is not the same as winning records that bottom out at .500. At least not to me. They are different situations but I have a hard time believing that any other owner would have kept what the Texans have considering that it has only happened once in the modern era(corrected that from before)

I'll move along from that. Wish the CBA would get signed.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read