Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2011   #421
Lucky

Rep Power: 213963 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: McNair: "We're not going to do something we think is crazy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Which successful owner has kept a .500 or less GM/HC for 5 /going on 6 yrs.?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Bob McNair.
If you define success as making $$$, then dale is correct. Otherwise, I haven't a clue as to what he's referring to.
Old 04-02-2011   #422
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
To me, a good offense comes into a game and impose their will. The texans didnt do that. Despit the so called explosive offense, oakland scored more. Despite the explosive offense, 70% of the passes were 7 yds or less. The best example I can give is the game vs denver. a explosive offense wouldve scored 40 againsr the after a 21 pt lead.
C'mon, now you guys are just nitpicking. Noone's offense shows up 16 out of 16 weeks and plays awesome. Every team's offense has games where they struggle. That doesn't mean that they're not an explosive offense. Using your criteria, only the 98' vikings & the 05' patriots would qualify as being explosive.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011   #423
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
C'mon, now you guys are just nitpicking. Noone's offense shows up 16 out of 16 weeks and plays awesome. Every team's offense has games where they struggle. That doesn't mean that they're not an explosive offense. Using your criteria, only the 98' vikings & the 05' patriots would qualify as being explosive.
I agree. The Texans offense can be explosive. Just about everyone's offense has the potential to be explosive.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011   #424
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 86297 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
If you define success as making $$$, then dale is correct. Otherwise, I haven't a clue as to what he's referring to.

referring to Humor.
Old 04-02-2011   #425
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
There you go again, spouting off with more inaccuracies. How do you live with yourself lying to all of us day after day? Gary Kubiak has the worst hair of any coach in the NFL! Have you seen a closeup of his receding hairline? It looks like a boomerang landed on his forehead, or maybe he's trying to channel his inner-Manning...

It's just awful, stop pretending like Kubiak has the greatest hair just because you love him so much. If you could take a step back from humping his leg, you might be able to see how bad his hair really is. It's all frizzy and carelessly stuffed under his headset, he certainly doesn't maintain it as well as other coaches like Mike Tomlin, Bill Belichek and Sean Payton. Even Jack Del Rio had a great year in 2006 where he looked quite dashing after switching to TRESemme.

Year after year, we have to deal with the shortcomings of his poor taste and stupid hair stylist. Seriously, what is he thinking surrounding himself with a stylist that agrees this is the look for him? He's had 6 years to find a competent hair dresser, but each time he fails because he wants one of his buddies to do it. If only he would go to Sportclips and get a new one who will challenge his attempt to pick a halfway decent look, then maybe he could command an NFL team properly.

I think given his track record of years of incompetence and poor taste, the only solution is to fire him and bring in a head coach with some real style. Someone who knows how to be a trendsetter and boldly don a style that he made his own. That's right, I'm talking about the man and his legendary mustache, Bill Cowher! Only he can redeem this franchise from 10 years of bad haircuts and no style!

Well presented factual case. Well documeted with visual aids. No holes in your case whatsoever. Well done young man.

MSR

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011   #426
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291679 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
you forgot to mention that both of those "explosive offenses" were slowed down in playoff time. as you said, every offense, even these record breaking ones, has games where they struggle.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011   #427
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 325689 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Well there is like hundreds of posts from all last season and the one before that where you didn't agree. Do you think people have amnesia around here or something? You repped Kubiak as this great coach in the making all year long and made every attempt that you could to belittle other coaches who have achieved a lot more in your persuit to defend Kubiak. Are you denying this?
No, I think people have agendas.

My stance before the 2010 season, was that the team was ready. My belief was that any coach could take that team to 10+ wins. Gary built that team, so we might as well let him stay there & be the guy.

I also painted a picture of a 10 win season that I believe should still culminate in Gary Kubiak's firing. If we got to Jan 2, 2011 at 10-5, with a win against the Jags putting us in the play-offs, & a loss meaning we watch...... I wanted Gary gone.

I have stated that it makes no sense to me that Kubiak was still part of this organization after Jan 3rd, unless McNair doesn't want to do the new HC & new GM again at the same time. But I expected Rick Smith to be gone by now in that event.

I'm holding on to hope of hopes, that Rick Smith was told get Aso or be gone...... but we won't know if that is the case for another 2 or 3 months at least.

My arguments have been against arguments that simply don't make sense. That we need to be active in FA & overpay to get talent if we want to win. Greenbay didn't do it, they've been as inactive in FA as we have. So has Indianapolis, so has Pittsburgh.

That we have to hire a "proven winner" in a coach. Miami didn't, Atlanta didn't, Baltimore didn't, Greenbay didn't.

I think Kubiak has done an outstanding job with our offense, & I've said as much. I haven't said one good thing about Gary Kubiak the head coach since the end of 2009.
Old 04-03-2011   #428
NBT
Veteran

Rep Power: 124 NBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaayteetx View Post
Let me get this straight, you want the owner and his team to go away? And yet you still sport an an avatar supporting said team and post on a message board dedicated to them? Ok, makes sense I suppose.
It goes under the heading of "think before you Post"!
We didn't like Bud Adams so we sacrificed the Oilers, and were without a Pro team for 6 years of absolute boredom. We have the Texans now and we damn sure don't want to lose them. What, hopefully will happen is that McNair will get more savy as the team matures. At least I hope so.
NBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011   #429
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 402769 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBT View Post
We didn't like Bud Adams so we sacrificed the Oilers...
"we" ??? Who is this "we" you speak of?

Historical evidence reveals that ONE MAN made the decision to move that team, and it was not a fan, local politician, or any other person not named Bud Adams.

Fans had nothing to do with that decision, and if that fat greedy rat had just been patient and willing to work with the Houston Rodeo, he'd be the overlord of a shiny new stadium on Kirby.

Sorry, just had to clarify that situation.
Old 04-04-2011   #430
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
They are up to 4 on the new list, including a TE...hip-hip horray

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...kouts-tracker/
Old 04-05-2011   #431
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
"we" ??? Who is this "we" you speak of?

Historical evidence reveals that ONE MAN made the decision to move that team, and it was not a fan, local politician, or any other person not named Bud Adams.

Fans had nothing to do with that decision, and if that fat greedy rat had just been patient and willing to work with the Houston Rodeo, he'd be the overlord of a shiny new stadium on Kirby.

Sorry, just had to clarify that situation.
I've been thinking about this (several of you are cringing right now)...

Had Bud Adams stayed here, right now we'd be enduring his senile behavior. And, we see what he bases his draft picks upon (which means God only knows what we'd have on the field right now). Although there's no way of knowing if the Houston Oilers (all these past years) would have equaled or even surpassed what the Tennessee Titans have produced, we still would have had today's weirdo Bud Adams running the show.

So all things considered, maybe our current Texans situation is at least a little less embarrassing version of what Bud Adams is displaying these days? I dunno, maybe I'm just grasping at straws (at this point) to convince myself that things aren't as bad here as I believe them to be! LOL.

It's the whole, "Well, at least we're not THEM" rationlization game. See my sig photo, below.

Rule No. 1 in life: Always surround yourself with people inferior to you, so that you look a little better than everyone else. Hey, it's worked for Gary Kubiak so far!
Old 04-05-2011   #432
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 133036 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post

Had Bud Adams stayed here, right now we'd be enduring his senile behavior. And, we see what he bases his draft picks upon (which means God only knows what we'd have on the field right now). Although there's no way of knowing if the Houston Oilers (all these past years) would have equaled or even surpassed what the Tennessee Titans have produced, we still would have had today's weirdo Bud Adams running the show.

So all things considered, maybe our current Texans situation is at least a little less embarrassing version of what Bud Adams is displaying these days? I dunno, maybe I'm just grasping at straws (at this point) to convince myself that things aren't as bad here as I believe them to be! LOL.

It's the whole, "Well, at least we're not THEM" rationlization game. See my sig photo, below.

Rule No. 1 in life: Always surround yourself with people inferior to you, so that you look a little better than everyone else. Hey, it's worked for Gary Kubiak so far!
The Titans have had a lot more success than the Texans have since the Texans have been in existence. Bud has done much better than Mcnair has.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011   #433
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
The Titans have had a lot more success than the Texans have since the Texans have been in existence. Bud has done much better than Mcnair has.
I think it might fall under the "it's all relative" heading, though.

He didn't win a Super Bowl, and now his team looks completely clueless with their QB situation, Adams' numerous fines from the league due to poor conduct, a new inexperienced head coach and "friends of Munchak" syndrome hitting their locker room. Therefore, any success he had has now become eroded.

Once again: There's no way of knowing what the current Houston Oilers would look like (had they been here all these past years). But I think it's certain that Bud Adams is growing senile and kookier by the year. In fact, I'm almost certain that had he not moved the franchise when he did...he would have moved it a year or two later anyways. Or, what if he had just moved it a few years ago? Then we'd have no NFL football to discuss, as it pertains to "our team" we have now.

I'm not an emergent apologist or anything, just saying it's interesting (to me) to think about the What If's, etc.
Old 04-05-2011   #434
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 121409 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

The Tacks have been way more successful than the Texans.

If winning is the only priority, the Texans have been the Tacks b....

You not only have Bud to blame. But also Buds minions. Along with that wife beating,philandering,choking,racist that is Warren Moon.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011   #435
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think it might fall under the "it's all relative" heading, though.

He didn't win a Super Bowl, and now his team looks completely clueless with their QB situation, Adams' numerous fines from the league due to poor conduct, a new inexperienced head coach and "friends of Munchak" syndrome hitting their locker room. Therefore, any success he had has now become eroded.

Once again: There's no way of knowing what the current Houston Oilers would look like (had they been here all these past years). But I think it's certain that Bud Adams is growing senile and kookier by the year. In fact, I'm almost certain that had he not moved the franchise when he did...he would have moved it a year or two later anyways. Or, what if he had just moved it a few years ago? Then we'd have no NFL football to discuss, as it pertains to "our team" we have now.

I'm not an emergent apologist or anything, just saying it's interesting (to me) to think about the What If's, etc.
The above bolded is going to be an interesting experiment. Maybe "Friends of Gary" just suck alot worse than "Friends of Mike." So we will see how any "Friends of" works out. I know some coaching circles are people you know but there is a difference between familiarity and "give my buddy a shot."
Old 04-05-2011   #436
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 402769 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

You need to read "Oiler Blues: The Story of Pro Football's Most Frustrating Team" sometime. You'd quickly realize that Houston endured his 'senile' behavior for decades! Seriously, old Bud pales in comparison to young Bud.

As far as "what if...", the fact of the matter is that the majority of the star players that took the Titans to the Super Bowl were drafted as Oilers. I have little doubt that this team would have made it to the Super Bowl if they had still been in Houston.

To Bud's credit (and I rarely give him any), he did admit that his biggest mistake was not letting the Astros leave town first. So I think the Oilers would still be here if he had played the game and been patient for a stadium deal, but true to his nature, greed got the better of him and the rest is history.

As far as Bud vs. Bob...m'eh, different times in history. Bud was a big part of the AFL's success and eventual merger with the NFL, so I've got to give him that credit. Back then, it was not a sure fire investment with pro football, and certainly nothing like it is today where you have an almost guarantee on your investment (as close as it could ever be, at least).

The Oilers are a part of my history as a football fan. That connection was forged through great wins and heartbreaking failure. And while I'm a Texans fan for as long as they have Houston in the name, I have yet to feel the emotional connection to the team like I did with the Oilers many years ago. Most likely because the Texans have always...well, to be honest...sucked.
Old 04-05-2011   #437
texanchris
Veteran

Rep Power: 3783 texanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respected

http://houston.sbnation.com/houston-...ch-2011-rumors
Looks like they are interested in Jonathan Joseph according to McClain. I would be happy with this signing because Joseph can be a good number 1 corner and not take up a lot of the cap space that Asomugha would.
texanchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011   #438
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 110481 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanchris View Post
http://houston.sbnation.com/houston-...ch-2011-rumors
Looks like they are interested in Jonathan Joseph according to McClain. I would be happy with this signing because Joseph can be a good number 1 corner and not take up a lot of the cap space that Asomugha would.
From that link, if they don't resign Leach, I really think its gonna come back to bite them in the ass big time!

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read