Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 03-21-2011   #1
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90172 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Glanville to Coach UFL's Hartford team

Quote:
Jerry Glanville was named the coach of the United Football League's Hartford Colonials on Monday.

UFL commissioner Michael Huyghue said that bringing in Glanville is part of the league's strategy to hire coaches who "have a winning pedigree and are household names."
I guess 10 games under .500 in the NFL and 9-24 at his last head coaching job qualifies as a winning pedigree.

Glanville to Hartford

But wait, there's more...
Quote:
Barring a last-minute snag in negotiations, Marty Schottenheimer will become the latest former NFL coach to run a United Football League franchise, this time with the expansion Virginia Destroyers, according to sources.
Schottenheimer to Virginia?
Old 03-21-2011   #2
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 71958 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Glanville to Coach UFL's Hartford team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
I guess 10 games under .500 in the NFL and 9-24 at his last head coaching job qualifies as a winning pedigree.

Glanville to Hartford

But wait, there's more...

Schottenheimer to Virginia?
When does their season start? Guess I am a Hartford fan.

TEXANRED is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011   #3
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Are or will the UFL games be televised? Don't recall ever having watched one.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011   #4
Kulluminatii
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3281 Kulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
Are or will the UFL games be televised? Don't recall ever having watched one.
Their deal with Versus expired and their currently negotiating with various networks from what I've heard. I've also read that they are starting in early August this year.
Kulluminatii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011   #5
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39337 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Marty never won in the playoffs and I never understood why.
Old 03-21-2011   #6
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

The UFL is going to make hay this year. I can actually sit through one of their games. It's a good product filled with guys who are trying to get in, get back in the NFL or playing for the love of the game after the NFL told them they were too old.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011   #7
drs23 
Veteran

Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulluminatii View Post
Their deal with Versus expired and their currently negotiating with various networks from what I've heard. I've also read that they are starting in early August this year.
COOL! Football in August. What networks are they talking too 'cause I don't think I get/got Versus.

Sponsored links
Old 03-21-2011   #8
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 215632 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Plans have not changed since this Nov. 2010 UFL piece.
Quote:
The United Football League has quickly learned that they can't compete with the massive audiences of the NFL, so they're working out a new strategy in 2011 that will hopefully generate a larger UFL fan base.

The league announced on Wednesday that they will be starting their 2011 season in early August (one month earlier than previous seasons) as to avoid a clash with the NFL crowds. The UFL also announced they will be extending their season by two games, as each team will play 10 -- instead of eight -- games in 2011.

"The intent is to begin play before the National Football League season begins, and to start incorporating Sundays into our football schedule," UFL commissioner Michael Huyghue said. "As the NFL preseason kicks in, most of their games are on Friday and Saturday, but their games at that time don't count, and our games do.

"From a fan's standpoint, you're going to see a more competitive football game on Sundays during the NFL preseason in our games, than you would in the National Football League."

The 2011 opening games will kick off on Aug. 5, and will lead into a 12-week season which includes a bye week for each team and the final championship game at the end of the year.

The UFL continues to expand across the country as the newest team, the Virginia Destroyers, will join the five current teams in the 2011 season. UFL executives are already searching for a seventh and eighth football-friendly market to develop additional teams in the near future.

According to Huyghue, bumping the UFL season up one month is just another way for football fans to get a jump-start on their Sunday afternoon enjoyment.

"I think we understand that the NFL's there, it will always be king of the hill," Huyghue said. "I think we can carve our own niche as well. Sundays during the preseason, when the NFL typically doesn't play is a perfect opportunity."
LINK
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011   #9
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90172 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Plans have not changed since this Nov. 2010 UFL piece.

LINK
They've changed at least a little bit...

Quote:
The UFL once envisioned having six or eight teams playing 10 regular-season games in 2011, but with the morphing of the Florida Tuskers into the Virginia Destroyers, there again will be five teams -- in Hartford, Las Vegas, Omaha, Sacramento and Virginia Beach -- playing an eight-game schedule.
LINK

Given that I don't believe Fox, NBC, CBS, ESPN, or ABC (Sister company to ESPN) will touch them, I think they're gonna have an incredibly tough time finding a TV contract that gives them anything in the way of exposure.
Old 03-21-2011   #10
drs23 
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
They've changed at least a little bit...

LINK

Given that I don't believe Fox, NBC, CBS, ESPN, or ABC (Sister company to ESPN) will touch them, I think they're gonna have an incredibly tough time finding a TV contract that gives them anything in the way of exposure.
TBS maybe?

Old 03-22-2011   #11
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
TBS maybe?
Or maybe TNT? They used to do the old World Football League games. Speaking of that, I recall that I was a big fan of that league. I was like 14 or 15 at the time. These leagues need to know that the majority of their fans that actually pay attention are going to be in that age range. Make it a Sunday when kids got nothing to do and you can get viewers.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011   #12
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 124814 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

To hell with the UFL! When are we getting our lingerie team???
Old 03-22-2011   #13
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 29696 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
Marty never won in the playoffs and I never understood why.
Cause he's too damn conservative. No huevos.
Old 03-22-2011   #14
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39337 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaayteetx View Post
He was a winner during the regular season just not in the playoffs.
Old 03-22-2011   #15
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 124814 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaayteetx View Post
Ironically enough it was his conservative style that lost a playoff game when Ernest Byner fumbled at the goal line going in.
Old 03-23-2011   #16
Dan B.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67904 Dan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Schott would have been a lot better for the Chargers than Norvie has been. It's not like San Diego started tearing up the league when they let Marty go.
Dan B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011   #17
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 35618 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected

It's official! Schottenheimer is headed to Virginia as the head coach and GM of the Destroyers.

Source:
http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news;_yl...schottenheimer

The UFL is picking up steam while the NFL continues to lose its credibility.
Old 03-24-2011   #18
Kulluminatii
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3281 Kulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CretorFrigg View Post
It's official! Schottenheimer is headed to Virginia as the head coach and GM of the Destroyers.

Source:
http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news;_yl...schottenheimer

The UFL is picking up steam while the NFL continues to lose its credibility.
Adding Schottenheimer to the Destroyers coaching staff brings a ton of credibility to the league. Before even playing a down the Destroyers went through two head coaches while the UFL was having some financial troubles (I believe they owed $ to players and Mark Cuban). I'm hoping they are able to land a better T.V. deal than the one they had with Versus, I tried following the UFL last season but my interest in the league pretty much died when I heard that a 7th & 8th team for the 2011 season was no longer on the table.

The UFL needs to do everything right and then some this season if they have any hopes of lasting more than 5 years. They'll never be able to overtake the NFL, and I think they realized that after their first season, but they definitely should be able to close the gap and increase the level of play. I would hate the see the UFL die or become a D-League to the NFL.
Kulluminatii is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read