Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 03-18-2011   #1
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184414 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Drew Hill admitted to Piedmont Hospital

Since this story broke, it is reported by John McClain on 610 that Hill has suffered a severe stroke and is "trying to hang on to life." My prayers go out to him and his family.

Quote:
12:32 pm March 17, 2011, by Doug Roberson

Former Georgia Tech and NFL standout Drew Hill has been admitted to Piedmont Hospital for an undisclosed reason, an official with the hospital confirmed today. There were no updates on Hill’s status as of 4 p.m.

Hill is in Tech’s record books in several categories: receiving yards per season (t-15th, 708, 1978), receiving yards/career (19th, 1,080, 1975-78), and yards per reception/career (t-4th, 19.3, 1975-78).

Hill, a native of Newnan, caught 634 passes for 9,831 yards and 60 touchdowns in the NFL. He was selected by the Rams in the 12th round of the NFL draft in 1979. He played for the Falcons in 1992-93.

– Doug Roberson, AJC
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011   #2
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 44942 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Drew Hill admitted to Piedmont Hospital

I hope he pulls through and everything will be fine.

He was one of my favorite Oilers.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011   #3
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 69312 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Get well soon 85!

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS PUSHED IT
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011   #4
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 126226 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Get well soon Big Drew! This sucks.

Drew Hill return for a touchdown - GTech, 1978

Man he was fast.
Old 03-18-2011   #5
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 25091 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Drew Hill was awesome, a lot of really good football memories as a child because of him. Hope he pulls through.
Old 03-18-2011   #6
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

WOW!! Definitely thoughts and prayers to Drew Hill and his family!! Hang in there Drew, just like you hung onto all those receptions!!!

Old 03-18-2011   #7
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184414 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

A friend of mine in Atlanta has confirmed to me that Hill sustained two back to back massive strokes this morning. I would have to say that few with that chronological history of significant strokes survive.
Sponsored links
Old 03-18-2011   #8
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 25091 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
A friend of mine in Atlanta has confirmed to me that Hill sustained two back to back massive strokes this morning. I would have to say that few with that chronological history of significant strokes survive.
Not good. How old is he? Mid to early fifties? Too young.
Old 03-18-2011   #9
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 126226 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaayteetx View Post
Not good. How old is he? Mid to early fifties? Too young.
Wiki says October 5, 1956. 54 years old. Geeez that's scary to me at my age.
Old 03-18-2011   #10
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post
Wiki says October 5, 1956. 54 years old. Geeez that's scary to me at my age.

Sad to say, I've participated in the surgical care of too many youngsters that stroked in their 20's.
Old 03-19-2011   #11
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Former Pro Bowl WR Hill hospitalized with brain conditionBy Len Pasquarelli
The Sports Xchange/CBSSports.com
March 18, 2011
ATLANTA -- Former NFL wide receiver Drew Hill, a two-time Pro Bowl performer, has been hospitalized here, and sources said the 14-year veteran is in very serious condition and battling a brain-related condition.

Hill, 54, was admitted Thursday to Piedmont Hospital. Sources said that Hill was on the golf course when he took ill, and was transmitted to Piedmont. After Hill was diagnosed with high blood pressure, he departed the hospital, but then was subsequently re-admitted when he experienced headaches.

Hospital officials confirmed Hill's admission but declined to discuss his condition.

Two sources close to the Hill family said the former wide receiver, who retired in 1993 after spending two seasons with the Atlanta Falcons, was being treated for either a stroke or an aneurism.
Essentially the same, in that in light of the seriousness, the aneurism would have to be "leaking" (ruptured) also with resultant stroke.........being triggered by high blood pressure episode.
Old 03-19-2011   #12
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61322 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

And the tears come out... Stroke took my mom in January. She was 60.

RIP, Drew. You were beloved.
Old 03-19-2011   #13
Texans34Life
I BLEED TEXANS!

Rep Power: 1028 Texans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Drew Hill, Oiler Great, passes away at age 54

....reported by 610.

EDIT:

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/spor...ll-passes-away

HoustonTexans4Life - 2010-2011 CHAMPION of TexansTalk Survivor and TexansTalk Pick'em
Texans34Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011   #14
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Drew Hill, Oiler Great, passes away at age 54

chron.com

Sad news, Drew was a wonderful player, underrated by the national media, but a great Houston Oiler.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011   #15
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Fan favorite, Moon's top target dies at 54Two strokes sent former Oilers receiver Hill to hospital
By JOHN McCLAIN
Copyright 2011 Houston Chronicle
March 19, 2011, 12:18PM
Quote:
Receiver Drew Hill, who was quarterback Warren Moon’s favorite target during the Oilers’ run-and-shoot era, died Friday night in an Atlanta hospital.

Hill, 54, suffered two massive strokes.

Hill, 5-9, 175, was one of the Oilers’ most popular players during one of the most successful eras in franchise history.

“I’m shocked,” Moon said. “I can’t believe it. Drew meant so much to us as a player and as a person. I counted on him so much. He was the consummate professional. It’s just so sad.”

Hill was a Georgia native who played at Georgia Tech and was selected in the 12th round of the 1979 draft by the Los Angeles Rams.

In five seasons with the Rams, Hill never caught more than 19 passes. After the Oilers signed Moon to the largest contract in NFL history, five years, $5.5 million, in 1984, they wanted to surround him with top-notch receivers and linemen. They traded two low draft choices for Hill.

“Drew was a great receiver, one who knew the offense and was always in the right spot,” Moon said. “I always knew exactly where Drew would be.

“He had a low-key demeanor. He didn’t get upset. He was always cool under pressure.”

Hill, who played inside receiver, thrived in the run-and-shoot. In 1985, his first season with the Oilers, Hill had 64 receptions for 1,169 yards (18.3 average per catch) and nine touchdowns.

The Oilers drafted Ernest Givins in 1986 and Haywood Jeffires and Curtis Duncan in 1987. All four receivers made the Pro Bowl.

They used first-round picks on offensive linemen Mike Munchak (1982), Bruce Matthews (1983) and Dean Steinkuhler (1984) before loading up on receivers for Moon. They made the playoffs in 1987 and every year through 1993.

In his seven seasons with the Oilers (1985-1991), Hill had at least 1,000 yards five times. In his other two seasons, he had 989 in the strike-shortened 1982 season and 939 in 1989 when he missed two games because of injuries.

“I spent some time with Drew in Atlanta and December,” said Green Bay scout Alonzo Highsmith, the Oilers’ top draft choice in 1987. “I’m stunned. I asked him how he was doing, and he said he was doing all right.

“As a player, I remember Drew being all vertical. He was a great deep threat, fast but very smooth.

“As a person, Drew was quiet and humble. He never sought attention for himself. He was a great guy and a great teammate. We used to play poker at his house. We had so much fun. He’s going to be missed by many.”

Hill, an avid golfer, signed with the Falcons in 1992 and played two more seasons before retiring and going into private business in Atlanta.
Old 03-19-2011   #16
texanhead08
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11275 texanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respected

RIP and thanks for all the fun memories we have watching you play.

Gary Kubiak
December 4,2011
texanhead08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011   #17
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33836 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Very sad news and may he rest in peace. There is already a thread about this in the NFL forum.
Old 03-19-2011   #18
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 225538 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

That's sad. Had some great memories because of him.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011   #19
Txn_in_Oki
Lucky 13

Rep Power: 26824 Txn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respected

RIP Drew.
Old 03-19-2011   #20
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 69312 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Rip 85.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS PUSHED IT
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read