Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-18-2011   #1
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected
Default The Texans best draft choice in history is.....

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/pos...h-afc-south-11
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011   #2
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 91809 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Texans best draft choice in history is.....

Wouldn't AJ be the obvious answer here?

Same with the Colts, why not put Manning in there? He's literally the reason that team is in the playoffs every year.

Edit: Just saw it was only the last 5 drafts.
Old 03-18-2011   #3
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I love how the Texans were slammed for taking Mario but now everyone sees it as the right choice (well, 98% of the people do).

I think Demeco Ryans deserves some discussion as our best draft choice over the last 5 years. 33rd overall pick, he's the leader of our defense. Smart, instinctual player.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011   #4
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 18298 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

I can understand how Mario would be considered the Texans best choice as he was A.) selected when most people thought Reggie Bush or Vince Young was a better choice and B.) He became a cornerstone on our defense that lacked talent besides DeMeco Ryans.

However, if it were up to me here is what I would have to say:

Best Choice: Andre Johnson hands down. Even with a weak offensive line and a quarterback with serious flaws, he found a way to produce and put points up on the board for the Texans.

Best Value: This is a tough one as I am stuck between DeMeco Ryans and Owen Daniels. However, I'm going to say it has to be Ryans. Productive and the obvious leader on our young defense, Ryans was a nice surprise in the 2nd round.

Worst Pick: There are so many players worthy of distinction so its hard to choose from. I would have to say Travis Johnson. He was supposed to be a major impact player at DT, yet, he came of as lazy and would flat out give up on plays. This, and he was also a punk on the field (e.g. Taunting Trent Green who was injured and on the ground helpless)
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011   #5
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 52823 dc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan4Ever View Post
I can understand how Mario would be considered the Texans best choice as he was A.) selected when most people thought Reggie Bush or Vince Young was a better choice and B.) He became a cornerstone on our defense that lacked talent besides DeMeco Ryans.

However, if it were up to me here is what I would have to say:

Best Choice: Andre Johnson hands down. Even with a weak offensive line and a quarterback with serious flaws, he found a way to produce and put points up on the board for the Texans.

Best Value: This is a tough one as I am stuck between DeMeco Ryans and Owen Daniels. However, I'm going to say it has to be Ryans. Productive and the obvious leader on our young defense, Ryans was a nice surprise in the 2nd round.

Worst Pick: There are so many players worthy of distinction so its hard to choose from. I would have to say Travis Johnson. He was supposed to be a major impact player at DT, yet, he came of as lazy and would flat out give up on plays. This, and he was also a punk on the field (e.g. Taunting Trent Green who was injured and on the ground helpless)
Trent Green went flying head first into his knee. He's lucky that shot didn't end his career. Not saying he should have taunted but I can understand why he was pissed.

I have to put Okoye over Johnson. He was picked higher and has been just as ineffective.
Old 03-18-2011   #6
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 37218 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

Nevermind.... It's only looking at past five drafts.
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011   #7
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

worst pick by far was David Carr. set back the franchise five years or more depending on your viewpoint. Just imagine we could have drafted Peppers instead

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-18-2011   #8
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 121565 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan4Ever View Post
3 Way tie :

3rd round pick DE Charles Hill
3rd round pick Qb Dave Ragone
3rd round pick Cb Antwan Molden

Best pick?

The only reason i wont say Andre Johnson is because people knew he was a beast and the Texans didn't have the choice to draft WR Charles Rogers.

Mario has to be best. The scrutiny they endured both locally and nationally was nuts. His entire rookie season people still ridiculed the Texans. How many people have had to appologize for calling the Texans fools? Listening to Rhome say he was wrong was "epic".
Old 03-18-2011   #9
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 37218 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
worst pick by far was David Carr. set back the franchise five years or more depending on your viewpoint. Just imagine we could have drafted Peppers instead
I had mentioned the same thing on my previous post but this article only goes back five drafts.
Old 03-18-2011   #10
stingray
Hall of Fame

Amobi Okoye followed by K. Jackson are the worst picks in the last five drafts. K. Jack can still redeem himself but Amobi is what he is. A very average player in the NFL.
Old 03-18-2011   #11
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 121565 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Duane Brown was a pick people were furious about. In retrospect he was a solid selection

I JUST GOT IT...

worst selection ever...ignore my previous post!

#2 RB Tony freaking Hollings

Way to outmanuever the rest of the NFL Charley.
Old 03-18-2011   #12
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray View Post
Amobi Okoye followed by K. Jackson are the worst picks in the last five drafts. K. Jack can still redeem himself but Amobi is what he is. A very average player in the NFL.
Judging Jackson after one year in a TERRIBLE secondary is a bit harsh in my opinion.
Old 03-18-2011   #13
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55069 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think you have every reason to write off Okoye at this point, but hold off on doing the same with Kareem because it's way too early to say he's a bust, though no doubt his first year was disappointing.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011   #14
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think both players can still redeem themselves with new scheme & coaching, at least we can hope.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011   #15
stingray
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Judging Jackson after one year in a TERRIBLE secondary is a bit harsh in my opinion.
That's why I said that he can still redeem himself.
Old 03-18-2011   #16
stingray
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I think both players can still redeem themselves with new scheme & coaching, at least we can hope.
I think Amobi is not a fit in the 3-4. Not strong enough to play the NT position and too short to play the 3-4 end. I don't know where they will try to put him but I think this is his last year with the Texans.
Old 03-18-2011   #17
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

The worse choice to me was when we decided to trade back into the 1st round,with a division rival, to select Jason Babin. In that same year we go with Bennie Joppru instead of Jason Witten.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011   #18
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 353155 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

It's about the past 5 years, guys. Not all time.

Past 5 years, I'd argue that the best was Owen Daniels or Demeco, not Mario. Mario was taken #1 overall. He's supposed to be a beast.

Worst has to be Amobi. He's played a lot of downs for us but he's not the beast we expected. Not even anywhere close to BEA let alone BEAST.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011   #19
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Its too bad Cushing isn't even in the discussion. If his 2nd year had been anything like his rookie season, he'd be a no brainer. He blew it for himself
Old 03-18-2011   #20
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 86297 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post
Duane Brown was a pick people were furious about. In retrospect he was a solid selection

I JUST GOT IT...

worst selection ever...ignore my previous post!

#2 RB Tony freaking Hollings

Way to outmanuever the rest of the NFL Charley.

Was it really neccessary to bring that up?! UGGH.

just for that, I might as well bring up the PBurnt trade: 2nd and 3rd round pick for a CB that can't cover.

Amazing to think about how few 2nd round picks we've had. When we've had them, they have been good picks: Pitts, Demeco, Barwin (will be).

Here are the 2nd round picks we've lost:

1. gave one away moving up for Babin
2. gave one up for Hollings supplemental pick
3. gave one up fo PBuchanan
4/5. gave away 2 for Matt Schaub

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read