Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-14-2005   #1
Toxicology
Rookie

Wink Isn't Ced Benson the Best way to help our Defense?

Disclaimer: I know a lot more about basketball and baseball but consider myself pretty knowledgeable about football as well.

Well, the thread title makes my primary point, but I would also argue that Ced Benson is most likely to have the most net effect on both sides of the ball. If this has already been posted, my apologies b/c I didn't see it.

Primary points to support my argument:

1. I am Captain Obvious: ball control helps our defense, perhaps more than anything else. Particularly against the Peyton Mannings of the world.

2. DD is a good back, but we can't use him as a battering ram. He will wear down. Ced Benson projects to be a Eddie George type of a power back that will thrive between the tackles.

3. On offense, having a power runner will help Carr stay vertical.

4. Benson can pick up blitz packages and would help open things up for Andre Johnson.

5. If we were to draft a Defensive player, say Derrick Johnson, Dem Ware or Merriman, would they make as big as an impact on the defense? I am a huge DJ fan, but I'm not sure he's that sure or much of an upgrade over Wong or Greenwood, two proven NFL players. We do need depth and talent on the D Line, but I think we can get that in later rounds.

My first post after much lurking so let me have it!
Toxicology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005   #2
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Meloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVP

Could not agree with you more. John McClain said Benson might drop to 13 if Tennessee goes for an Olineman and Arizona trades for Travis Henry eliminating Cardinal need for RB. I also like DJ & Merriman is supposed to be good. I think your apologetics for linebackers is correct. It seems obvious that Casserly is going with Oline & Dline starters as is. My only hesitation would be if Braylon Edwards were available by trade up. Another thread I just read had negative comments on Edwards byt I thought he was supposed to be an Andre Johnson type. To me, Benson & Braylon are only two that I would expect to start AND bring the most benefit to team.
Meloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005   #3
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm quietly hoping Benson slips to us myself. I think he would change the dynamics in how teams defend us. You can't just squat back in a loose cover 2 zone all game with a pounding, hammertime back gashing your defense all game. For instance, Benson would FORCE up the Colts SS instead of laying back 20 yards over the top of a corner. Right now they just sit back and let the front-7 handle Dom.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005   #4
Toxicology
Rookie

Shhhh, they're listening . . . .
Toxicology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005   #5
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 86297 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
I'm quietly hoping Benson slips to us myself. I think he would change the dynamics in how teams defend us. You can't just squat back in a loose cover 2 zone all game with a pounding, hammertime back gashing your defense all game. For instance, Benson would FORCE up the Colts SS instead of laying back 20 yards over the top of a corner. Right now they just sit back and let the front-7 handle Dom.

Not only have I been largely unimpressed with Benson since his freshman season, I think he's been overused and is at great risk for a shorter career.

When looking at his stats, look at how he did against teams with similar talent: Oklahoma, Michigan, Kansas State, LSU, etc... it's very unimpressive.
dalemurphy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005   #6
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

How many yards do you have to gash the Colts for before they do that? DD had 23 carries for about 125 and it didn't open up anything downfield. I don't think Benson will do anything that DD can't do. We need better blocking so that: 1) our guys can actually finish their routes and 2) we can send one extra receiver out instead of leaving him in to block.
Old 04-14-2005   #7
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Dom gets a lot of garbage yardage. I've heard all the arugments on Benson but I trust my eyes. I see another version of Stephen Davis/Eddie George/inside runner and think that Benson is highly elusive and tough to hit in short space. I think he would be ideal for a run oriented team like we have and will open up the offense.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-14-2005   #8
66cobra
Veteran

I agree with Vinny. I like Dom a whole lot, but he is not really a gamechanger like Benson. To dalemurphy, the reason that his stats were not impressive against those teams you named was because they centered their defensive gameplan on stopping Benson and dared the Longhorns to throw. That worked for Oklahoma, but not against Michigan because Vince Young took over the game with his feet, not his arm. In the NFL, though, if a team centers their defense on Benson alone, Carr would make them think twice (if we had Benson that is).
66cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005   #9
canadiantexan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Vinny hit it right on the head. Benson would change the dynamics of how teams defend us. Although I do like DD he is'nt a big play threat Benson is.In our system you can give the ball to Benson 25-30 times a game and there is a chance of a score or big play every time he touches the ball. That forces the defence to put extra guys in the box ie. a saftey and that opens up things perfectly for a accurate passer with a cannon like Carr's to get the ball in the hands of A.J. or Gaff plus we could still use DD as a hammering type short yardage guy or make use of his excellent hands in the third and five plays.
canadiantexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005   #10
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 107589 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

IMO, one of the qualities that Ced has that will make a diiference for our team is his ability to shift while in the hole(line). He has a quick left or right shift that is the kind that allows a back to 'fall forward' for extra yards while being hit or wrapped up. This move also has the potential to make tacklers miss altogether as well. For a big back, he has an extremely good stutter step with just enough swivel in his hips to make tacklers miss when head-up in open space. Additionally, he has the ability to absolutely punish corners who have the misfortune to be one on one against him. He has a stiff arm that most DBs would most likely want to avoid.
His ability to bring hard contact to the defender may also contribute to wearing them down somewhat by the fourth quarter, when fatigue to the D could possibly result in opportunities that might not exist otherwise. DD just doesn't have the arse to punish smaller defenders the way Ced does. Believe me, it takes it's toll by game's end, and also can create tenativeness in tacklers in the open field...
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005   #11
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm
DD just doesn't have the arse to punish smaller defenders the way Ced does.
DD is one pound lighter than Benson. Benson may very well be an upgrade, but arse won't be the reason for it.
Old 04-14-2005   #12
Wild Bill
Rookie

DD is one pound lighter but he doesn't have the punishing style that Benson has. Benson is a much more physical runner. However, I won't go out on a limb and say that Benson, especially as a rookie, will be head and shoulders better than DD. DD is a great runner and while he fumbled 4 times in the first two games last season, didn't fumble the remainder of the season. Let's not forget that Benson has some fumbling problems in college also. But you see that with those kind of backs who are constantly fighting for yardage and are carrying tacklers down field.

DD just hasn't proven that he can stay healthy, and that's the main concern. He's great when he's healthy. Benson has proven he can stay healthy and is hard to bring down. I would be very happy if we can land him.
Old 04-14-2005   #13
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 107589 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
DD is one pound lighter than Benson. Benson may very well be an upgrade, but arse won't be the reason for it.

'having arse' is a euphemism for his ability to bring the contact to the tackler in a way that DD just doesn't strike me as having... more of a contrast in what they do, individually, with the arse they each posess.
I will say, however, that after re-reading my post I may have discribed Ced as more of a pure power back than I intended (or he, in fact, is...)

Also, before anyone points out that I (may)have technically mis-used the word euphemism, I am aware of it... but you get the point...
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005   #14
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 86297 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Do you guys remember the first preseason game that Dom played in last season?... He had about 6 carries for 40 yards or so. But, his attitude was very agressive and punishing. He carried that same attitude and style into the openning weekend and it got fumbled out of him. I also question his ability to stay healthy. However, I have the same questions about every RB in the NFL outside of Ladanian Tomlinson and Shaun Alexander. I'd just much rather give another look at Davis/Hollings and possibly add Shelton or someone in the third or fourth rounds. There's a lot of value there, I think. Mainly because most teams don't have RB as a major need in this draft- yet it's fairly deep in RBs.
Old 04-14-2005   #15
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy
Do you guys remember the first preseason game that Dom played in last season?... He had about 6 carries for 40 yards or so. But, his attitude was very agressive and punishing. He carried that same attitude and style into the openning weekend and it got fumbled out of him. I also question his ability to stay healthy. However, I have the same questions about every RB in the NFL outside of Ladanian Tomlinson and Shaun Alexander. I'd just much rather give another look at Davis/Hollings and possibly add Shelton or someone in the third or fourth rounds. There's a lot of value there, I think. Mainly because most teams don't have RB as a major need in this draft- yet it's fairly deep in RBs.
Unless we can get Ronnie Brown!
Old 04-14-2005   #16
wiley2002
Veteran

I can agree with what everyone's saying about Sir Domanic Freebie. IMO I think we should see what he can do with a complete o-line. I think we should still see what Dom can do this season.
wiley2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005   #17
Rosusu
All Pro

I love Dom and I love what he does for our team. Then again if Benson is there at the 13th pick I say take him no matter what. He is going to be a great back in this league and it would be amazing if he fell to us. I dont like the idea of trading up for him though.
Old 04-14-2005   #18
Lucky

Rep Power: 212249 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Bill
DD is one pound lighter but he doesn't have the punishing style that Benson has. Benson is a much more physical runner.
Davis is going against NFL defenders. Benson is punishing kids from Rice & North Texas. I trust my eyes, also. Benson is not a power runner in George mold. When he met future NFL caliber defenders in the hole, like Lance Mitchell or LaMarr Woodley, Benson went down like a rock. An offensive line that has included NFL & future NFL caliber players such as Mike Williams, Derrick Dockery, Jonathan Scott, & Justin Blalock has blown open massive holes for Cedric against lesser teams. And Benson's shared the field with ubertalents like Roy Williams & Vince Young. The type of athletes who are feared gamebreakers, and Benson has benefited from their presence.

Benson is a boola-boola back. He isn't a good receiver out of the backfield. He was never asked to block. Can Cedric pickup the blitz? Does he even want to? Who knows, that wasn't his role at UT.

If Domanick Davis doesn't have the speed to break big runs in the NFL, then Cedric Benson doesn't have that speed, either. I can't see how handing the rock 25-30 times a game to a guy who can't make a big play is going to change any dynamics. That's the offense the Texans are running now. Benson is a guy who will get a team about 1200 yards on 4 ypc, and come out on 3rd down. Nothing dynamic about that.
Old 04-14-2005   #19
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

I can't wait for the DD homers to invade this thread.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005   #20
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEEL BLUE TEXANS
I can't wait for the DD homers to invade this thread.
Looks like the invasion came from the other side. Wonder if they sell anti-homer (that would be someone who wants to take a blanketly negative viewpoint of a team's player without providing a cogent argument to support it) roach motels?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read