Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 03-16-2011   #1
SteveSlaton20
All Pro

Rep Power: 718 SteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to SteveSlaton20
Default FS and SS

If the Texans were to get a FS and a SS from the Draft, who would you want?

SS
DeAndre McDaniel - Clemson
6'0'' 217 LBS
40: 4.63

Tyler Sash - Iowa
6'0'' 211 LBS
40: 4.62

Joe Lefeged - Rutgers
6'0'' 210 LBS
40: 4.42

Da'Norris Searcy - North Carolina
5'11'' 223 LBS
40: 4.55

Ahmad Black - Florida
5'10'' 184 LBS
40: 4.70

Jeron Johnson - Boise State
5'10'' 212 LBS
40: 4.51

FS
Rahim Moore - UCLA
6'0'' 202 LBS
40: 4.58

Quinton Carter - Oklahoma
6'1'' 208 LBS
40: 4.57

Robert Sands - West Virginia
6'4'' 217 LBS
40: 4.53

Chris Conte - California
6'2'' 197 LBS
40: 4.52

Chris Culliver - South Carolina
6'0'' 199 LBS
40: 4.36

Jaiquawn Jarrett - Temple
6'0'' 198 LBS

Jermale Hines - Ohio State
6'1'' 219 LBS
40: 4.61

Deunta Williams - North Carolina
6'2'' 205 LBS

would yall mind getting Aaron Williams in the 2nd and play him as a FS?
6'0'' 204 LBS
Old 03-16-2011   #2
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: FS and SS

I have no idea, but I like your focus on safeties.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011   #3
SteveSlaton20
All Pro

Rep Power: 718 SteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to SteveSlaton20

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
I have no idea, but I like your focus on safeties.
well, we never had a great safety. and being a fan of texas longhorns, i love great safeties.
Old 03-16-2011   #4
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

If we go FS then I want Rahim Moore, Quentin Carter, or Deunta Williams but it looks like the Texans might be moving Glover Quin to FS thus making it not so high of a priority. I'm thinking we go SS instead and I'd like Deandre McDaniel in the 2nd round or Tyler Sash, or possibly Joe Lefeged in the 4th round. Also I think Jaiquawn Jarrett gets moved to SS.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011   #5
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21346 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

quinton carter!!!

he can most likely play both safety positions in wades defence.
wade looks for more cover safeties and focuses less on run support....another reason why pollard got released.

however carter can also make the big hit and tackle.
seen as he can play both positions, it would be great if we could sign a SS in the eventual FA and have carter backing up both the new FA and Quinn.
and we would straight away turn a terrible safety position into pretty good depth (also add in troy nolan as a back up)
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011   #6
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114593 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

I want rasi dowling as a free safety. If they want turnovers they need someone with ball skills on the back end.

1. cb amukamara
2. fs dowling
4. ss sash
Old 03-16-2011   #7
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194239 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSlaton20 View Post
If the Texans were to get a FS and a SS from the Draft, who would you want?

SS
DeAndre McDaniel - Clemson
6'0'' 217 LBS
40: 4.63

Tyler Sash - Iowa
6'0'' 211 LBS

Joe Lefeged - Rutgers
6'0'' 210 LBS
40: 4.42

Da'Norris Searcy - North Carolina
5'11'' 223 LBS

Ahmad Black - Florida
5'10'' 184 LBS
40: 4.70

Jeron Johnson - Boise State
5'10'' 212 LBS
40: 4.51

FS
Rahim Moore - UCLA
6'0'' 202 LBS
40: 4.58

Quinton Carter - Oklahoma
6'1'' 208 LBS
40: 4.57

Robert Sands - West Virginia
6'4'' 217 LBS

Chris Conte - California
6'2'' 197 LBS
40: 4.52

Chris Culliver - South Carolina
6'0'' 199 LBS
40: 4.36

Jaiquawn Jarrett - Temple
6'0'' 198 LBS

Jermale Hines - Ohio State
6'1'' 219 LBS
40: 4.61

Deunta Williams - North Carolina
6'2'' 205 LBS

would yall mind getting Aaron Williams in the 2nd and play him as a FS?
6'0'' 204 LBS
Chris Culliver is on my mock for Houston in 4th round. He played FS for 3 seasons before moving to corner last year. 4.36 first try & 4.38 last 40. Skills, hip rotation and foot movement excellent. I think Texans will move Quin to FS under Phillips and get a Vet CB in free agency so FS is not high on my board any longer. SS: will be Nolan but I have Chris Prosinki in 7th and he is a tackling machine. Listed as a FS he has body for SS.
Old 03-16-2011   #8
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 52823 dc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm still not convinced we are going to take our best CB and move him to safety. Even if we bring in a solid vet, that leaves us with 1 decent CB.
Old 03-16-2011   #9
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I like Rahim Moore in the 2nd as more of a pure FS but that would mean Quin needs to stay at CB. I kind of like Quinton Carter for the Texans because from what I've read he's more physical than Moore and tackles better. I think it's possible that Quin and Carter could both be Wade's Safeties at the same time... Quin would be a FS that's obviously able to move up to the line of scrimmage and cover the WR... which I love in a Safety.

I think Carter (or Moore) would be a good 2nd round pick if we go OLB in the first. If we don't go OLB in the first, I think some good ones could be available at our 2nd rounder and should be considered over safety.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011   #10
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_txtech View Post
I'm still not convinced we are going to take our best CB and move him to safety. Even if we bring in a solid vet, that leaves us with 1 decent CB.
I'd have no problem with Kareem Jackson as our #2 CB if Quin is covering over the top and we've got a veteran CB (a true #1) on the opposite side of the field.

But I will say, a Veteran CB + Quin + Jackson is a better CB grouping.
Old 03-16-2011   #11
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
I'd have no problem with Kareem Jackson as our #2 CB if Quin is covering over the top and we've got a veteran CB (a true #1) on the opposite side of the field.

I'd like for the Texans to sign a vet FS as well as a vet CB.
If they can sign a good FA FS, I think Wade might even bring Reeves back at CB (if they can't find anything better - don't know if Wade like Allen???)
In the draft, they still need to sign at least one safety and a CB.
This is the one year the Texans can "afford" to contrate on defense in the draft (yet again)!
OLB, FS, CB, SS, WR/KR

Anybody wants either Allen or Reeves back?
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011   #12
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I'd like for the Texans to sign a vet FS as well as a vet CB.
If they can sign a good FA FS, I think Wade might even bring Reeves back at CB (if they can't find anything better - don't know if Wade like Allen???)
In the draft, they still need to sign at least one safety and a CB.
This is the one year the Texans can "afford" to contrate on defense in the draft (yet again)!
OLB, FS, CB, SS, WR/KR

Anybody wants either Allen or Reeves back?
I know Reeves wasn't the best but I wouldn't have released him. Something must have gone on behind closed doors because didn't he have some negative tweets out there or something? Has he been picked up by anyone or has he been a free agent for the last year?

I liked the pick up of Jason Allen, I would definitely hang on to him. That is assuming he fits the x's and o's that Wade will draw up back there.
Old 03-16-2011   #13
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I know Reeves wasn't the best but I wouldn't have released him. Something must have gone on behind closed doors because didn't he have some negative tweets out there or something? Has he been picked up by anyone or has he been a free agent for the last year?

I liked the pick up of Jason Allen, I would definitely hang on to him. That is assuming he fits the x's and o's that Wade will draw up back there.
This is what I found:

The NFL's waiver wire process applies to players who have less than four seasons of league experience and are released from any of the league's 32 teams. Once a player with less than four seasons of league experience is cut or released from a team, the other 31 teams are given the chance to claim the player from the waiver wire. A team that claims a player from the waiver wire assumes the terms of the original contract agreed upon between the player and the team that released him.

Read more: NFL Waiver Rules | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/list_6640183_nfl...#ixzz1GmhqoTeN

Allen signed a 6-yr rookie contract with the Dolphins in 2006.
He still has one year remaining on that contract term, if all is true.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011   #14
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194239 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Exactly. As much as I disliked KJ's play he seldom had a FS near him. Also, let's not forget Sherrick McMannis who is exactly what we need as a cover corner type with size and speed. He should get more reps this year under Wade and we might have a better teacher for our Dbacks.
Old 03-16-2011   #15
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Exactly. As much as I disliked KJ's play he seldom had a FS near him. Also, let's not forget Sherrick McMannis who is exactly what we need as a cover corner type with size and speed. He should get more reps this year under Wade and we might have a better teacher for our Dbacks.
I really like to see McMannis get some FS looks. like his range, ball skills & longer wingspan than Quin for position, if Glover is our best CB why move him?

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011   #16
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I really like to see McMannis get some FS looks. like his range, ball skills & longer wingspan than Quin for position, if Glover is our best CB why move him?
My POV: Quin was rated #7 FS during his draft; McMannis however is a true cover corner that does not come along often. I've researched him after last draft as I did not know much about him. He can be the real deal with good coaching. I rather use KJ for a FS than McMannis.
Old 03-16-2011   #17
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
My POV: Quin was rated #7 FS during his draft; McMannis however is a true cover corner that does not come along often. I've researched him after last draft as I did not know much about him. He can be the real deal with good coaching. I rather use KJ for a FS than McMannis.
he struggled worse than Kareem when posted on the corner. I'm sure 76Texan will post his film review for us, but is a zone corner if nothing else. Also think he looked strong in run support, good tackler in open field, don't think he has the explosion or burst to hang with elite WR's by himself.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011   #18
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
he struggled worse than Kareem when posted on the corner. I'm sure 76Texan will post his film review for us, but is a zone corner if nothing else. Also think he looked strong in run support, good tackler in open field, don't think he has the explosion or burst to hang with elite WR's by himself.
I saw what you did but McMannis looked lost & I saw that as a coaching issue. Remember where he was drafted when evaluating him. I lke his style CB rather than bump and run that KJ brings.
Old 03-16-2011   #19
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123107 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm with you on this one. I suggested it a few weeks back. McMannis really has the look and the tools of a rangy FS.

CB #1 - nobody
CB #2 - Quin
CB #3 - Jackson
CB #4 - Allen
FS - McMannis
SS - nobody

Fill out those two gaps and I'm a lot more optimistic about next season.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011   #20
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I'm with you on this one. I suggested it a few weeks back. McMannis really has the look and the tools of a rangy FS.

CB #1 - nobody
CB #2 - Quin
CB #3 - Jackson
CB #4 - Allen
FS - McMannis
SS - nobody

Fill out those two gaps and I'm a lot more optimistic about next season.
bah,

You don't think Nolan will be any better as a 2nd yr player?

I'd like to see McMannis see the field as well. They must have seen something there to draft him?

I'd like to see our "steal" seventh rounder on the field too. I'd love to see him shine in PS.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read