Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-15-2011   #1
SF49erFaithful
Crabtree FTW

Rep Power: 41 SF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Who goes #1 overall?

As you all know, it's plausible that about 6 different players could be the first pick this year. So, who is the pick and why?
Old 03-15-2011   #2
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Who goes #1 overall?

Cam Newton is starting to generate some buzz.

Cam Newton
Da'Quan Bowers
Marcell Dareus
Nick Fairley
Patrick Peterson
AJ Green

I'm kind of hoping it's Bowers because I like the ripple effect better. I think Buffalo could take Newton and then some other team could possibly take Gabbert (San Fran/Tennessee/Washington)? If Arizona takes Robert Quin over Von Miller, its possible we may draft an Aggie in the 1st round.

1. CAR - Da'Quan Bowers
2. DEN - Marcell Dareus
3. BUF - Cam Newton
4. CIN - AJ Green
5. DAL - Patrick Peterson (Dallas trades up)*
6. CLE - Julio Jones (Colt needs a #1)
7. SF - Blaine Gabbert (new coaching change, Harbaugh recruited Gabbert?)
8. TEN - Nick Fairley (just seems like a Titan)
9. ARI - Robert Quin (Arizona traded down)
10. WAS - JJ Watt (character/work ethic Shanahan loves)
11. HOU - Von Miller to the Texans!!
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011   #3
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post

Cam Newton
Da'Quan Bowers
Marcell Dareus
Nick Fairley
Patrick Peterson
AJ Green

I'm kind of hoping it's Bowers because I like the ripple effect better. I think Buffalo could take Newton and then some other team could possibly take Gabbert (San Fran/Tennessee/Washington)? If Arizona takes Robert Quin over Von Miller, its possible we may draft an Aggie in the 1st round.
BTW I see the Mizzou QB going #1.

1. CAR - Da'Quan Bowers
2. DEN - Marcell Dareus
3. BUF - Cam Newton
4. CIN - AJ Green
I enjoy your comments Ole Miss Texan, even when you are dreamin, which is the case here. I count 7 3-4 teams in the top 10 and you think Miller falls to us ? Honestly, don't you think we have to be prepared to move up and part with atleast a 3-round pick to have a chance at Miller ?
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011   #4
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
I enjoy your comments Ole Miss Texan, even when you are dreamin, which is the case here. I count 7 3-4 teams in the top 10 and you think Miller falls to us ? Honestly, don't you think we have to be prepared to move up and part with atleast a 3-round pick to have a chance at Miller ?
What's the chance of Miller dropping to the Texans?
About 1 in a Million.
So you're tellin me there's a chance!

Every year a "top" talent falls. Some say Quin is a top 5 talent and I don't think it's unreasonable that a team may gamble on him over Miller as the top 3-4 OLB. It's also possible that there are 6 or so other players rated higher than Miller on those teams' boards: Bowers, Dareus, Fairley, Peterson, Jones, Green, and then reaches on 2 QBs. I see Watt going higher than people think and he addresses a bigger need for WAS. I'm not betting on Miller being available but I don't think it's out of the question - just offering up a way it could happen.

As far as #1 goes, I have no idea. Bowers makes sense, he addresses a need and should be rated very high. But he's got a lot of question marks. I don't think Fairley will be it... could be Dareus if Carolina goes 3-4... but aren't they 4-3? I think the Panthers could go a number of directions.
Old 03-15-2011   #5
SF49erFaithful
Crabtree FTW

Rep Power: 41 SF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm just going back and forth with the idea of a QB at #1. I mean, Carolina needs a QB pretty bad, or appears to at least (Jimmy Clausen the answer??), but the top-end talent at that position is just so poor this year that I am not convinced they will go that direction. On the other hand, the value of these guys is so inflated that they may feel forced to do so.

Also, it's been 17 years since a DT was drafted #1 overall, which makes me wonder if Rivera won't take one of the 2 SEC studs there for the same reason many think Peterson won't go #1.

Hmmmmm....
Old 03-15-2011   #6
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 127410 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Cam Newton
Da'Quan Bowers
Marcell Dareus
Nick Fairley
Patrick Peterson
AJ Green

1. CAR - Da'Quan Bowers
2. DEN - Marcell Dareus
3. BUF - Cam Newton
4. CIN - AJ Green
Von Miller won't be around at 11.... Unfortunately.
Old 03-15-2011   #7
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39337 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

I am kind of hoping AJ Green falls to the Texans somehow.
Sponsored links
Old 03-15-2011   #8
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 17475 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

I have to say its going to be Cam Newton. Ron Rivera is a defensive-minded coach so he probably thinks he can take just about anyone and get 100% out of em'. Also, there is no Ndamukong Suh this year nor any other stud defensive playmaker that has dominated his position consistently for at least three years.

With the change in HC almost always comes with a new quarterback and regardless of the fact that you may not like him, Cam Newton's tangibles and his size are too good to pass up especially in a poor QB draft class.
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011   #9
Lucky

Rep Power: 169923 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

QBs go #1.

After all the pinching, poking, and prying, Blaine Gabbert will be the #1 QB.

Therefore, Blaine Gabbert will be the #1 pick.

Quote:
There's no doubt in my mind that Jerry will make a play for Peterson.
Old 03-16-2011   #10
SF49erFaithful
Crabtree FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
QBs go #1.

After all the pinching, poking, and prying, Blaine Gabbert will be the #1 QB.

Therefore, Blaine Gabbert will be the #1 pick.

There's no doubt in my mind that Jerry will make a play for Peterson.
Why, in your opinion, is it Gabbert instead of CN?
Old 03-16-2011   #11
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF49erFaithful View Post
Why, in your opinion, is it Gabbert instead of CN?
Gabbert has a quick pro style release (no hesitation at all) comes out tight & accurate to the target, not a hell of a lot different from many of the 49'er greats.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011   #12
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

If Cam Newton or Blaine Gabbert go #1, it would be a great thing for the Texans.

Newton, Gabbert, AJ Green, Julio Jones and Tyron Smith have a shot at going before our pick. That leaves 5 defensive players to be selected before us... we could get a top guy.
Old 03-16-2011   #13
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 63721 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Who goes #1 overall? Definitely the owners. No brainer.
Old 03-16-2011   #14
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104197 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

According to "experts" aren't Bowers and Fairley tanking?

Not that it will happen, but would either fit the 3-4 if they fell to the Texans?
The1ApplePie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011   #15
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90044 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post
According to "experts" aren't Bowers and Fairley tanking?

Not that it will happen, but would either fit the 3-4 if they fell to the Texans?
IMO, no.

I see Bowers strictly as a 43 DE and Fairley as a 43 DT.

Some people project Fairley as a 34 DE but I don't see it. Could he do it? Yes, I suppose. But he is way, way better off in a 43.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011   #16
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90044 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

The only positions that go #1 are QB, LT, or DE.

That means Newton and Gabbert are in the conversation, even though neither is close to being worth the #1 overall selection.

A.J. Green and Patrick Peterson should be in the conversation, only because they are the top two prospects. Either of them being selected #1 is highly unlikely though.

There are no tackles worth the #1 selection.

Bowers is the top DE. Dareus and Fairley are DTs so I don't see them going.

Basically, I would be surprised if anyone besides Bowers, Gabbert, or Newton was selected #1.

If I were the Panthers I would take Peterson. No questions asked. But that's just me.
Old 03-16-2011   #17
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
IMO, no.

I see Bowers strictly as a 43 DE and Fairley as a 43 DT.

Some people project Fairley as a 34 DE but I don't see it. Could he do it? Yes, I suppose. But he is way, way better off in a 43.
Agreed. And I'd much rather have JJ Watt or Cameron Jordan at DE than Fairley. I see him as 4-3 DT, he reminds me a lot of Haynsworth (maybe most of it is the attitude and tough play).
Old 03-16-2011   #18
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
The only positions that go #1 are QB, LT, or DE.

That means Newton and Gabbert are in the conversation, even though neither is close to being worth the #1 overall selection.

A.J. Green and Patrick Peterson should be in the conversation, only because they are the top two prospects. Either of them being selected #1 is highly unlikely though.

There are no tackles worth the #1 selection.

Bowers is the top DE. Dareus and Fairley are DTs so I don't see them going.

Basically, I would be surprised if anyone besides Bowers, Gabbert, or Newton was selected #1.

If I were the Panthers I would take Peterson. No questions asked. But that's just me.
A team at #1 isn't going to draft a QB at that spot unless they think he's a franchise guy. If they think he has it, he'll be the selection. If they don't then they won't select him even if their QB situation isn't great. That's a position, IMO, you don't look for marginal improvement with the #1 pick.

It's rumored they have questions about the DL prospects, mostly medical questions and how much they'd impact early in their rookie season. If true, Bowers is one of the concerns. If they don't think Newton/Gabbert could be their franchise QB then there's no point taking him. Green or Peterson could be the picks. But signs really are pointing to Newton. Question: Are the Panthers going to be 43?? I just love the draft and all the drama and projecting and rumors.

I totally understand the positional value and the #1 pick: QB, LT and DE are the most impactful positions in the game. But I don't believe a CB or DT or whoever wouldn't be selected JUST because they never have been (or its been a really long time). Look at the 2009 season and the 2010 draft. Rams were 1-15, Lions were 2-14. Let's say Detroit had lost 1 of those wins or the Rams won just 1 of those 15 losses... that would put Detroit in the #1 spot. Do you think they would not have selected Ndamakung Suh, a DT, #1 overall??? They would have.
Old 03-16-2011   #19
bah007
Hall of Fame

The #1 selection has more to do with money than anything else. The reason only QBs, LTs, and DEs go #1 is because those are the only positions that are worth that kind of ridiculous money.

If there were a rookie wage scale you would see a lot of different positions go #1.
Old 03-16-2011   #20
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The #1 selection has more to do with money than anything else. The reason only QBs, LTs, and DEs go #1 is because those are the only positions that are worth that kind of ridiculous money.

If there were a rookie wage scale you would see a lot of different positions go #1.

I believe you're 100% correct. I think the rookie wage scale will be in writing when the dust settles.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read