Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 03-14-2011   #1
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21867 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Hottoddie's "TEXAN'S PONY UP to TRADE UP" Mock Draft

Okay, it's time to try something a little different. Most everyone believes the Texans don't have the cajones to trade up in the draft to go get that special player. Well, what if they did & what would our draft look like? Finding a willing partner to trade up with should be a lot easier than trading down. All you have to do is agree upon the price. No matter how you slice it, trading up very high is going to gut your draft. However, if you can spread the cost over two drafts then the pain shouldn't be as severe.

The player I have the Texans targeting is Patrick Peterson. Getting him should finally fix our secondary once & for all. Now I know we're switching to the 3-4 this year & might need several pieces to make the transition, but I'm willing to make this move because Wade has said that we're not that far away & only need a few pieces.

In order to get Peterson we'll most likely have to trade up to the 3rd pick. There are indications that Buffalo wants a QB. They're rumored to want Cam Newton & feel that Gabbert might not be as mobile as Chan Gailey wants his QB's to be. The problem for them is that Carolina may very well select Newton at #1. While Peterson would be a sweet player to select, CB is not their greatest area of need. They want a QB & really need help on the Dline. They could just select one of the other stud linemen & leave the value of Peterson for the next team in the draft or look for a suitable trade down & pick up some extra picks. That's where we come in.

Houston sends the #11 (1st), #73 (3rd), #104 (4th), & next year's #1 pick to Buffalo.

Buffalo sends the #3 (1st) to Houston.

If we assume next year's #1 is the equivalent of this year's 2nd round pick, then it comes out to us sending 2051 pts. & getting back 2200 pts. We could include our 3rd or 4th next year to get it closer, but since they're getting an extra #1 pick I'm going to assume that will be an acceptable price to pay.

With the #11 pick Buffalo should be able to select from JJ Watts, Cameron Jordan or one of the two 1st round worthy QB's of Mallett & Locker just ahead of Minnesota.

And with this trade, here's how I would envision our draft going:

1) Patrick Peterson (CB) - We can now move Quinn to FS.
2) Brooks Reed (OLB) or Sam Acho (OLB)
5) Jeron Johnson (SS) or Eric Hagg (SS)
6) Blaine Sumner (NT) or Zane Taylor (C)
7) Mario Harvey (ILB) or Jerod Johnson (QB)
7a) Denarius Moore (WR) or Allen Bradford (RB)

Well, what do you think of this idea?

The Texans Bull Rush
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011   #2
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Hottoddie's "TEXAN'S PONY UP to TRADE UP" Mock Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottoddie View Post
Okay, it's time to try something a little different. Most everyone believes the Texans don't have the cajones to trade up in the draft to go get that special player. Well, what if they did & what would our draft look like? Finding a willing partner to trade up with should be a lot easier than trading down. All you have to do is agree upon the price. No matter how you slice it, trading up very high is going to gut your draft. However, if you can spread the cost over two drafts then the pain shouldn't be as severe.

The player I have the Texans targeting is Patrick Peterson. Getting him should finally fix our secondary once & for all. Now I know we're switching to the 3-4 this year & might need several pieces to make the transition, but I'm willing to make this move because Wade has said that we're not that far away & only need a few pieces.

In order to get Peterson we'll most likely have to trade up to the 3rd pick. There are indications that Buffalo wants a QB. They're rumored to want Cam Newton & feel that Gabbert might not be as mobile as Chan Gailey wants his QB's to be. The problem for them is that Carolina may very well select Newton at #1. While Peterson would be a sweet player to select, CB is not their greatest area of need. They want a QB & really need help on the Dline. They could just select one of the other stud linemen & leave the value of Peterson for the next team in the draft or look for a suitable trade down & pick up some extra picks. That's where we come in.

Houston sends the #11 (1st), #73 (3rd), #104 (4th), & next year's #1 pick to Buffalo.

If we assume next year's #1 is the equivalent of this year's 2nd round pick, then it comes out to us sending 2051 pts. & getting back 2200 pts. We could include our 3rd or 4th next year to get it closer, but since they're getting an extra #1 pick I'm going to assume that will be an acceptable price to pay.

With the #11 pick Buffalo should be able to select from JJ Watts, Cameron Jordan or one of the two 1st round worthy QB's of Mallett & Locker just ahead of Minnesota.

And with this trade, here's how I would envision our draft going:

1) Patrick Peterson (CB) - We can now move Quinn to FS.
2) Brooks Reed (OLB) or Sam Acho (OLB)
5) Jeron Johnson (SS) or Eric Hagg (SS)
6) Blaine Sumner (NT) or Zane Taylor (C)
7) Mario Harvey (ILB) or Jerod Johnson (QB)
7a) Denarius Moore (WR) or Allen Bradford (RB)

Well, what do you think of this idea?
I like the Idea, but that is a little too much to give up. A 1st/3rd and a 2012 1st is all I would give up.

Although if a vet NT was signed in FA the defense would become a top 15 defense next yr.

If Peterson or Miller falls to #5 the Texans should trade up to get him.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011   #3
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

I wouldn't mind if the Texans traded up for Peterson but only if he falls out of the top 5. Your trade scenario is to expensive for me. I've seen several mocks that have Peterson falling to #7-San Francisco, if he were to fall this far I'd make a trade up.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011   #4
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 63828 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

No thank you. I like Peterson, but that is an expensive trade up. Like the others have said, if he drops out of the top 5 I would look at it.
Your drafted players look good though. Good to see another guy on the Sumner bandwagon.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011   #5
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

seems like about time to change things up just to be different but doubt rick trades up more than a couple picks. maybe wade can covince his former employer to make a deal with rick to get von miller but thats about it. Texans simply have too many needs.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011   #6
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253530 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

If anything, we should trade back with our first, and then see if we can bundle some of our later round picks to trade up and get another 2nd or 3rd to help shore up the defense. If we had a 4 picks in the first 3 rounds, we'd be in position to really make some nice improvements I think. A rush linebacker, a NT, a safety or two, maybe a DE or a SAM LB, and I think we're just about set.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011   #7
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
If anything, we should trade back with our first, and then see if we can bundle some of our later round picks to trade up and get another 2nd or 3rd to help shore up the defense. If we had a 4 picks in the first 3 rounds, we'd be in position to really make some nice improvements I think. A rush linebacker, a NT, a safety or two, maybe a DE or a SAM LB, and I think we're just about set.

Agreed. I think you trade up when you're one player away and that's not the case with us. Given the depth of defensive talent in this draft, unless a stud fell to us at 11, I favor trading back and adding picks.
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-15-2011   #8
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

In 2009 the Browns traded from #5 to #17 (12 spots) for a 1st, 2nd and three scrub players. You want to give up 2 firsts, a 3rd and 4th to move up 8 spots? I dont think so.

I agree with some of the others. If he slides past Arizona make the call. Other than that stay where you are or drop down.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011   #9
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011   #10
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101274 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not really sure as to why everyone thinks that the Texans can just easily move up or down in the draft every year like it's no problem. Every off season we have these threads around here like moving up and down in a draft only involves one team wanting to do it. Well, it takes two teams to agree on that. If I'm not mistaken Kubiak has only moved his draft spot in the first round one time since he's been here. He may have tried in other years to do so, but it's not easy to just find some team that has a desperate need to move up or down to fit what you're trying to do where you can get compensated for it enough to make it worth your while. I doubt we move anywhere in the draft.

Quote:

Are you serious with this suggestion??
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011   #11
Blake
MMQB

Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
I'm not really sure as to why everyone thinks that the Texans can just easily move up or down in the draft every year like it's no problem. Every off season we have these threads around here like moving up and down in a draft only involves one team wanting to do it. Well, it takes two teams to agree on that. If I'm not mistaken Kubiak has only moved his draft spot in the first round one time since he's been here. He may have tried in other years to do so, but it's not easy to just find some team that has a desperate need to move up or down to fit what you're trying to do where you can get compensated for it enough to make it worth your while. I doubt we move anywhere in the draft.
Makes you wonder how the Patriots can find trade partners like they grow on trees.
Old 03-15-2011   #12
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I disagree with the notion that we shouldn't move up in this years draft because we need to fill so many holes.

The dominant teams tend to be dominant because of their star caliber players. One reason the Colts, Patriots and Steelers have been dominant is because of their star players, IMO. Sure those teams have a bunch of good "B level" players, but I think that if you have a couple of star type players they can elevate the level of play of everyone else.

Those teams can pretty much plug "system guys" in around their main guys. Some of those guys look really good in those systems and then go elsewhere and look average.

Look at the Packers. They lost a bunch of players this past season. But they still had Rodgers, their top receivers, Woodson and Matthews. When starters went down they could pretty much plug in guys that had talent, but because they were in a good system where the stars set the tone they looked really good. Same thing can be said for most other good teams.

The Ravens defense has been good for so long because of the star players that have been mainstays. Not because of the role-players that have come and gone. The Colts offense has been dominant for all these years because of the star players they have there. The Blair Whites and Brandon Stokleys of the world have an easier time on the field because of what the stars over there can do.

All that said, I'd much rather trade up for an impact player if the opprotunity arose and the price was right. Having a bunch of holes to fill doesn't mean you get a bunch of mid range players to fill those holes. We know for a fact that late round picks and undrafted FA's can come in and perform well.

Give me Von Miller or Peterson and picks 4-7 VS "Whomever" and picks 2-7.

Give me a guy that we will be able to count on next year and a potential impact player over guys that may or may not play a significant role in this upcoming season.

Last edited by Rey; 03-15-2011 at 05:20 PM.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011   #13
Blake
MMQB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post

Give me Von Miller or Peterson and picks 4-7 VS "Whomever" and picks 2-7.
You forgot to mention the first rounder he is mortgaging from next draft.
Old 03-15-2011   #14
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
You forgot to mention the first rounder he is mortgaging from next draft.

My post was not in reference to the OP's proposal.

That is a little bit too much IMO.

I was moreso talking about the notion that we shouldn't look to trade up at all.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011   #15
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
Makes you wonder how the Patriots can find trade partners like they grow on trees.
Because they trust their draft board and don't fall in love with prospects.

The phones are always ringing. The key is to have a guy answering who can make a quick decision and know what he's doing.

Does that sound like anyone in the Texans organization?
Old 03-16-2011   #16
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Well we traded down in the 2008 draft. Rumor has it that the phone was ringing and Smith or Kubiak were considering another trade down but they pulled the trigger on Duane Brown - a Gibbs selection.

There was also some movement last year in the 2010 draft trading down in the 2nd.... and then trading back up to select Ben Tate.

I'll be interested to see how easy/hard it is to trade towards the top of this draft. There will be uncertainty regarding the CBA (and contracts) but it could be a calculated risk.

I really see Dallas moving up to get Peterson.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011   #17
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21867 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
I like the Idea, but that is a little too much to give up. A 1st/3rd and a 2012 1st is all I would give up.

Although if a vet NT was signed in FA the defense would become a top 15 defense next yr.

If Peterson or Miller falls to #5 the Texans should trade up to get him.

I agree this price is too expensive, but that's pretty close to what it'll take to get him if we move up that far. I was just trying to point out to those that keep talking about moving up & making it sound like it would be real easy that it won't come cheap.

I don't see any quality NT's becoming an UFA. Good 3-4 NT's are like gold & teams don't let those guys walk. Unless a team is willing to pay a lot of money for a 30+ year old NT that has seen his better days, then you're going to have to draft someone & groom them.

I agree that Peterson at #5 is much more attainable, but then you have teams like Dallas getting into the mix & possibly moving up to get him.

The reason we're having to give up next year's #1 in this proposal is because I want to hang onto this year's 2nd round pick to get one of the impact OLB's that should still be on the board. That would give us 2 impact starters to add to a mix of players Wade has said doesn't need many pieces to do what he believes they are capable of doing.

The Texans Bull Rush
Old 03-16-2011   #18
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
I wouldn't mind if the Texans traded up for Peterson but only if he falls out of the top 5. Your trade scenario is to expensive for me. I've seen several mocks that have Peterson falling to #7-San Francisco, if he were to fall this far I'd make a trade up.
I agree it's too expensive a trade, but if the team feels he's the player that becomes a game changer for us, then you have to take a look at it. Would you pay the price if you knew he would turn into a Champ Bailey or Revis type of player? They were draftees with no NFL experience at one point as well, but a lot of "can't miss" potential.

Mock drafts (much like this one) are nothing more than WAG's & as useless as a screen door on a submarine. But, they give us draftniks a chance to be the lucky lottery winner by being able to accidently get one right. Having said that, I can't see Peterson slipping to #7 & being available for trade, because I think San Francisco would draft him. However, if they were willing to trade away that shot, then a team like Dallas would be willing to pay a little more than us to trade up & get him. Stranger things have happened, but I just don't see Peterson dropping that far.

The Texans Bull Rush
Old 03-16-2011   #19
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
Your drafted players look good though. Good to see another guy on the Sumner bandwagon.
Thanks. I'm on the Sumner bandwagon thanks to your research.

The Texans Bull Rush
Old 03-16-2011   #20
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
seems like about time to change things up just to be different but doubt rick trades up more than a couple picks. maybe wade can covince his former employer to make a deal with rick to get von miller but thats about it. Texans simply have too many needs.
While I agree with what you're saying, at what point do we start being bolder & adding the kind of impact players that can change an entire team's mindset?

Unless Wade is blowing smoke up our keisters he said that we're close on defense & don't need that many pieces to turn this around. Our offense was #3 in the NFL for the 2nd year in a row & missed being #2 by 2.9 yards per game.

I also don't believe Miller gets past Arizona @ #5.

The Texans Bull Rush

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read