Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-13-2011   #1
nut
All Pro

Rep Power: 165 nut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respectednut is a quality contributor and well respected
Default What is the real reason we kept Kubiak?

I want to get excited about the new season but how is he going to become a different coach in the offseason? I don't see our personnel being good enough to carry him. What was the reasoning behind keeping him? Not just being a jerk, I'd really like to know.
nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011   #2
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33836 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary
Default Re: What is the real reason we kept Kubiak?

Real reason. Bob not wanting to be on the hook for having to pay two coaches.
Old 03-13-2011   #3
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 151691 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

Because he's a really. nice. guy.

That's all I got. I know it's not because of his coaching skills.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011   #4
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6655 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nut View Post
I want to get excited about the new season but how is he going to become a different coach in the offseason? I don't see our personnel being good enough to carry him. What was the reasoning behind keeping him? Not just being a jerk, I'd really like to know.
1) Because Bob likes him and wants him to succeed.
2) He is a good O-coordinator, and he now has only that to focus on, as Phillips is now entirely in control of the D.
TexCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011   #5
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Oh brother.....

NTSA (Not This **** Again)
Old 03-13-2011   #6
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 231518 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
First off, let me say that we should have fired him. And if it had been a regular situation, I think we may have fired him. Personally, I would have fired him.

BUT.

With this owner/player standoff, the teams are probably not going to have as much time to prepare their teams for the coming season as they normally have. Because of that, it's probably better to have some continuity than having to install an entirely new offense and defense like you'd have to do with a total house cleaning.

OTOH, how good is our offense and how bad was our defense? We lost several (5) tight games that we could have won if our defense hadn't been epically bad. Kubiak has shown the ability to build a great offense but he has also shown an inability to build a great defense. The signing of Wade Phillips COULD change that. It MIGHT be a step in the right direction.

I personally think that we immediately have a better defense just with the addition of Wade Phillips even if we don't add any other players to the defense.

IF Wade does significantly improve the defense and IF Kubiak can keep the offense on track... we should be a 10-11 win team. Those are a bunch of IFs and like I said, if it was me, I would have fired Kubiak and this next season be damned.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011   #7
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 75541 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

And here we go........

LOL
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-13-2011   #8
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 75541 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
Or this
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011   #9
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 21536 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Because we're on the righ track..........

Just kidding, I always liked Kubiak, and was behind him 100% until like week 12 of this year, and I wanted him to pull it together even then, but felt like he needed to go at that point.

Now I don't know. I want to be behind him, but if he doesn't get it done this year he has to go.

As to your question, the reason he was kept is because the Texans have had a top 5 Offense 3 years running.......
Old 03-13-2011   #10
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
Ding, Ding, Ding we have a winner. This is it. Bob screwed up a year earlier and gave Gary a 3 yr. extension. No matter how bad we are in 2011 I expect that he'll be here in 2012 as well because they can blame a bad season on the 3-4 defense switch/it takes more than 1 yr. to create a great defense, CBA talks and delayed workouts, new personnel coaches and players, etc... Also after next season Gary will only have 1 season left under contract and Bob doesn't want to pay 2 head coaches.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011   #11
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56462 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
First off, let me say that we should have fired him. And if it had been a regular situation, I think we may have fired him. Personally, I would have fired him.

BUT.

With this owner/player standoff, the teams are probably not going to have as much time to prepare their teams for the coming season as they normally have. Because of that, it's probably better to have some continuity than having to install an entirely new offense and defense like you'd have to do with a total house cleaning.

OTOH, how good is our offense and how bad was our defense? We lost several (5) tight games that we could have won if our defense hadn't been epically bad. Kubiak has shown the ability to build a great offense but he has also shown an inability to build a great defense. The signing of Wade Phillips COULD change that. It MIGHT be a step in the right direction.

I personally think that we immediately have a better defense just with the addition of Wade Phillips even if we don't add any other players to the defense.

IF Wade does significantly improve the defense and IF Kubiak can keep the offense on track... we should be a 10-11 win team. Those are a bunch of IFs and like I said, if it was me, I would have fired Kubiak and this next season be damned.
Agreed.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011   #12
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 301240 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
"The first thing you have to do is identify the problem. You know, we did not perform the way I thought we should perform. And Iím disappointed by it and Iím upset by it; Iím not happy about it at all. We have to evaluate what we think was the basis for that record. What was the cause of it? And until you properly identify the problem, you canít solve it. And so the first thing you do is identify the problem, and thatís the process that weíre going through, trying to determine where we have fallen short, and then we can look at what the various options are.

ďAnd the options are, quite frankly, you can go in and you can replace all the coaches or you can replace the head coach. Well, when you do that, thatís very traumatic because then they want to come in and they want to replace all the players quite often. Sometimes, they want to replace all the scouts. On the other hand, if thereís a way to solve the problem without it being so traumatic Ė and if you do it in a traumatic fashion, I believe it sets you back two years. So is your situation so bad that you think thereís no other recourse and the only way you can solve it is to tear up your organization and set it back two years? Thatís one consideration. And if thatís what you have to do, then fine, you do it.

ďOn the other hand, if you think you can isolate it and itís not that severe, itís like the guy going into the doctor with a headache. Is he going to give you aspirin or send you in for brain surgery? You have to determine whatís really needed under the circumstances.Ē

~ Bob McNair - January 2, 2011

And there you have it. Replacing the head coach after a mediocre 37-43 record in five seasons is just too traumatic for this owner. And since he believes 6-10 and still playing hard and losing close games in the end "is on the right track" (his words), you can expect more of this stuff in 2011/2012.

After all, 80 games is just not enough to truly evaluate a head coach.
Old 03-14-2011   #13
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

The real reason?

How about the 5 real reasons:

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011   #14
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94174 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
Texans have had a top 5 Offense 3 years running.......
Why do some of you continue to say this? It's false. If you're looking at NFL rankings as an indicator then you're looking at one of the worst indicators for what the best offense or defense is. We might have been a top offense once since Kubiak's been here, but not more than twice. Kubiak has great players on offense. He's not a great offensive play caller by any means.

Last edited by Texecutioner; 03-14-2011 at 12:34 PM.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011   #15
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

Rep Power: 59111 HTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
The real reason?

How about the 5 real reasons:

Is that the old Scrooge McDuck bank from the old cartoon Ducktales?

Used to love that show when I was a kid.

Into black waves I am sinking,Drowning away from the ghosts,Disappearing into eternity,Into the mirror of my soul,The pounding sound is mesmerizing
HTown2ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011   #16
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 231518 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Why do some of you continue to say this? It's false. If you're looking at NFL rankings as an indicator then you're looking at one of the worst indicators for what the best offense or defense is. We might have been a top offense once since Kubiak's been here, but not more than twice. Kubiak has great players on offense. He's not a great offensive play caller by any means.
So what do you want to use as a metric for how good the offense is? How do you want to grade offenses?

We had the leading rusher in the NFL last year and our QB threw over 4000 yards and the year before, our QB threw for the 6th most passing yards in the history of the NFL.

Say what you want, but our offense has been pretty good for the past 3 years.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011   #17
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 52212 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

clearly the impending lock-out which should have been our first clue the owners planned this out in advance so Bob knew when he kept Gary all along.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011   #18
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33836 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

I would hate to see Wade taken out of his role as DC and replaced once again with another DC if Gary does get fired.
Old 03-14-2011   #19
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 304671 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
So what do you want to use as a metric for how good the offense is? How do you want to grade offenses?
There is no good argument the offense is not good.

Points - 9th
Yards - 3rd
1st downs/game - 2nd
3rd down % - 9th
Old 03-14-2011   #20
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTown2ATX View Post
Is that the old Scrooge McDuck bank from the old cartoon Ducktales?

Used to love that show when I was a kid.

Yup. Well done! Its the Scrooge McDuck Money Vault. I always thought it was a bit goofy to keep all your money in a massive vault with a bright Dollart sign on the top that is viewable by everyone. I mean he is pretty much saying, yep, here it is, here is all my money!

Plus he had essentially no real security.

But that's how Scrooge rolled I suppose.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read