Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 03-09-2011   #1
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default lance zierlein mock 2.0

http://blogs.chron.com/fantasyfootba.../post_180.html

He has Houston taking Houston, as in OLB Justin Houston from Georgia.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011   #2
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 35118 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: lance zierlein mock 2.0

that pick is full of win. <3 LZ
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011   #3
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

12. Minnesota - Da'Quan Bowers, DE, Clemson

???

No way he falls that far, but if he did, I would want the Texans to take him at 11 over Houston.

Edit: On second thought, our DE position isn't as big of a need as OLB or NT, so if he did fall, I would rather sell him to a team like the Patriots, Eagles or Chargers for an extra 2nd/3rd. Pick up Houston or Ayers later in the 1st, maybe a DT like Taylor or Wilkerson instead.
Old 03-09-2011   #4
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 35118 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

bowers does not project as a OLB or a 5-tech DE. would not be a smart pick.
Old 03-09-2011   #5
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

EDITED - Must address mock/LZ first! I've like Houston for a while but he sure gained some weight for the combine. What do yall think his real playing weight will be? He and Barwin could be good OLBs for us with Barwin being the one more responsible for coverage.
__________________________________________________ ___________________________________
I'm really starting to like JJ Watt. I think it'd give Wade a lot of options having him, Mario and Antonio. He could really move Mario around if Watt/Antonio are manning the edge on occasion... or have Antonio/Mitchell at DT and Watt/Mario at DE when in 4-3.

Go 3-4 OLB in the 2nd hopefully with a guy like Brooks Reed or Sam Acho (if he warrants 2nd rd). Solid FS/SS prospect in the 3rd and grab a top FA veteran CB and our D will look solid.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011   #6
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

houston will play around 260-265 range which he'll do fine with IMO. i'm not too concerned about him in coverage since he would mainly be brought in to get after the QBs ass. GB rarely, if ever, drop matthews in coverage.
Old 03-09-2011   #7
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9610 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Houston is a guy that probably isn't perceived to be worth the 11th pick but looking back on the draft in 5 years could be a real special player. I was honestly thinking to myself this morning if we could find a way to maybe trade down with STL so they could grab Julio 14 would be a great spot for Houston. I'll be the first to admit I haven't watched a lot of tape outside of youtube highlights on most prospects so while Houston looked good, it was nice to see him perform so well at the combine. His measurables compare favorably to guys like Shawne Merriman and Brian Orakpo. I wouldn't have a problem with taking him at 11.
Old 03-09-2011   #8
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27437 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
EDITED - Must address mock/LZ first! I've like Houston for a while but he sure gained some weight for the combine. What do yall think his real playing weight will be? He and Barwin could be good OLBs for us with Barwin being the one more responsible for coverage.

Houston weighed in at 270 lbs. at the Combine. If we did select him I'd be ok with the pick but would like to see him play at 250-260 lbs.. I think he'd be a little faster at that weight.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011   #9
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
Houston weighed in at 270 lbs. at the Combine. If we did select him I'd be ok with the pick but would like to see him play at 250-260 lbs.. I think he'd be a little faster at that weight.
He's already pretty damn fast at 270. I don't think it's a problem.

Sometimes people fixate too much on height and weight. Some guys can just play.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011   #10
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 45091 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
He's already pretty damn fast at 270. I don't think it's a problem.

Sometimes people fixate too much on height and weight. Some guys can just play.
Lance did article couple months ago with his top 5 OLB prospects, Houston was not mentioned. Thought he should be & posted as such, now I'm the one not so sure? He did not bring to the combine the skill set I was hoping for, namely explosiveness in open space. Despite what anyone says weight is a concern, that goes for every prospect @ nearly every position. I suspect trainer/handler may have projected him as a 4-3 DE. He is alot closer to Freeney than Ware, IMO

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011   #11
JimBaker488
Veteran

Rep Power: 106 JimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
I was surprised to learn he went to 270 for the combine, but he ran well there at that weight and would expect him to remain at that weight if drafted by a 4-3 team but move down closer to 260 if drafted to play OLB by us or another 3-4 team.
JimBaker488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011   #12
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

I would be fine with Houston at #11. He's a football player a matching body. He's played the 3-4 OLB before and knows how to get into the backfield. I think I'd like to see him in the 260 range as a rookie as well. I'm also high on Quinn, who I maintain is a top 5 talent. I think both of these guys have the potential to be the next Ware, especially coming from the same system. Big OLB types that live in the backfield. Barwin is a different type of OLB, more along the lines of what Von Miller should be, though Miller seems to have a higher ceiling. I think Houston is one of the safest picks in the entire draft.
Old 03-11-2011   #13
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't really care for any of the second tier OLB's with the #11 pick.

I'd rather trade down or take Julio if it came to that scenario.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011   #14
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 60180 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I don't really care for any of the second tier OLB's with the #11 pick.

I'd rather trade down or take Julio if it came to that scenario.
From what I have been seeing if Jones' foot checks out he might not reach us at 11.
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011   #15
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
From what I have been seeing if Jones' foot checks out he might not reach us at 11.
Good. The more offensive players drafted before #11 the better.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011   #16
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Good. The more offensive players drafted before #11 the better.
That's kind of what I was thinking...

Although the player I want probably won't fall to us, if we did want to trade up for him, maybe we wouldn't have to trade as far...

But I'd even settle for one of the top two DT's if one fell to us...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011   #17
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
http://blogs.chron.com/fantasyfootba.../post_180.html

He has Houston taking Houston, as in OLB Justin Houston from Georgia.
Houston looked terrible in combine. I moved him off my board.
Old 03-16-2011   #18
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 32275 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Houston looked terrible in combine. I moved him off my board.
You let the combine over come the game film?
Old 03-17-2011   #19
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 60180 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
You let the combine over come the game film?
This argument seems to come up every draft and over every player.

Personally I think what someone does in shorts in a sterile environment is WAY overrated.
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011   #20
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 32275 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This argument seems to come up every draft and over every player.

Personally I think what someone does in shorts in a sterile environment is WAY overrated.
I agree

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read