Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 04-01-2011   #61
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Cam Newton

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Nawrocki is one of the most respected scouts out there, so his word does carry some weight.
It sounded more like an April fool joke, but if I run an organization, I wouldn't turn a blind eye on anything.

The fact is, however, that this is an entertainment business.
Each owner has a different business model.
Some may think of it more as family entertainment; others may think of it Hollywood style or Las Vegas style.
Some owner may have a zero tolerance policy on certain things, while others may not share the same view.

It is quite possible that Newton may be dropped off the list of some teams; but that is just pure speculation on my part.
I'm just saying that it's up to each team to decide what their policies are regarding recruitment/employment.
I'm not even saying that I would sign off on drafting Newton if I was an owner.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011   #62
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94101 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
I think you meant to say, He obviously has it in for the guy for racists reasons.

You are Warren Moon aren't you?
Don't put words in my mouth...As i understand it, he's never met Cam Newton & its irresponsible of him as a journalist to write some of what he did without even having met the guy. Furthermore, that "whatever reason" could be anything including what you suggest i mean.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011   #63
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90711 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
Don't put words in my mouth...As i understand it, he's never met Cam Newton & its irresponsible of him as a journalist to write some of what he did without even having met the guy. Furthermore, that "whatever reason" could be anything including what you suggest i mean.
Ummm, I was using humour.

Have you not read that Moon came out on this being a race issue.

I was taking your post as an opportunity to poke fan at him, not you.
Old 04-03-2011   #64
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Warren: You are a wife beating scum,

You suck

Choker

Buffalo

Racist
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011   #65
Lucky

Rep Power: 153310 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

There were rumors regarding JaMarcus Russell's (lack of) work ethic prior to the 2007 draft. But no one came out and put their name next to them, as Nawrocki has with Newton. I think with the instant news that's available (twitter, blogs, etc.), the internet journalists feel the need to one up each other. Fans are always craving more and more info, but sometimes we get what seems to be too much. I think you could find someone to say something negative about any prospect entering the draft, if you tried. Cam Newton's the biggest name in this draft, thus the biggest target.

Warren Moon playing the race card -
Old 04-04-2011   #66
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
He's not. He's got better skills and can read a defense better.
Newton was in a one read and go system. He has light years to go before he will be able to read pro defenses. He's going to be just like VY, he will have to rely on his athletic ability to survive. My bet is he is VY 2. He'll never make it. To much ego and not near enough drive or technique to be a succesful pro QB.
Old 04-04-2011   #67
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94101 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Ummm, I was using humour.

Have you not read that Moon came out on this being a race issue.

I was taking your post as an opportunity to poke fan at him, not you.
oops..sorry..
Sponsored links
Old 04-04-2011   #68
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Has anybody considered that the Oilers would still be in Houston. If Moon spent as much time preparing for games as he did in the gentlemens clubs. (Sorry Bill)

Thanks Warren you wife beater/choker.
Old 04-04-2011   #69
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

How dare you people bash a kid with down syndrome!

Wait, he doesn't have down syndrome? He is just dumb? ....carry on.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011   #70
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
There were rumors regarding JaMarcus Russell's (lack of) work ethic prior to the 2007 draft. But no one came out and put their name next to them, as Nawrocki has with Newton. I think with the instant news that's available (twitter, blogs, etc.), the internet journalists feel the need to one up each other. Fans are always craving more and more info, but sometimes we get what seems to be too much. I think you could find someone to say something negative about any prospect entering the draft, if you tried. Cam Newton's the biggest name in this draft, thus the biggest target.

Warren Moon playing the race card -
i'm tired of people bringing this up..like it somehow makes it ok for him to say some of what he said. It also doesn't lend this enormous amount of credibility either. Anyone with eyes could've looked at Jamarcus Russell & guessed that his work ethic was trash...dude was a 260 lb qb for christs sakes.
Old 04-04-2011   #71
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101274 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
i'm tired of people bringing this up..like it somehow makes it ok for him to say some of what he said. It also doesn't lend this enormous amount of credibility either. Anyone with eyes could've looked at Jamarcus Russell & guessed that his work ethic was trash...dude was a 260 lb qb for christs sakes.
There were a ton of people trying to present Jamarcus Russell as this next big thing. Right after he had that huge bowl game he got enormous hype. I never understood it at the time since he was never even a Heisman candidate. He was good in all in college but after that bowl game he became the filet Minon of QB's all of a sudden. Cam's a better athlete than Jamarcus Russell, but there are waaaayyyy more questions surrounding Cam Newton's character and his history already than what Jamarcus ever had. Cam may not be as lazy and he might be more athletic, but he's not more refined as a passer at all, and that's ultimately what you're looking for. Cam has already had the scandals in college, he's already talking about himself in 3rd person, and he already has a very poor reputation as far as his attitude is concerned way before this recent scout report was issued out. It's not weird that this one came out at all, and the fact that Warren Moon made this issue into one about race when black and white QB's are criticized coming into the draft every off season just puts a big egg on Warren Moon face and might have cost him a media job down the line since he's been trying to work up the ladder for quite a few years.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011   #72
Lucky

Rep Power: 153310 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If you're tired, try taking a nap. Because I'm going to say pretty much what I want.

And it is OK for Nawrocki to say what he wants. Then, he will be judged by his own words and found credible or not. Everything Nawrocki said about Newton's personality could be true, and Newton could still be the top pick and an outstanding NFL player. Nothing says that someone must be a good person to be a good player (example: Moon, Warren).
Old 04-06-2011   #73
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It is ok to say everything he said. Personality traits and character are on every players evaluation and there is nothing wrong with that.
Old 04-06-2011   #74
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101274 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He got evaluated just like hundreds of others year after year have before him. His just was more on the negative side because of his actions and his history among other things.
Old 04-07-2011   #75
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
If you're tired, try taking a nap. Because I'm going to say pretty much what I want.

And it is OK for Nawrocki to say what he wants. Then, he will be judged by his own words and found credible or not. Everything Nawrocki said about Newton's personality could be true, and Newton could still be the top pick and an outstanding NFL player. Nothing says that someone must be a good person to be a good player (example: Moon, Warren).
1st let me preface by saying I could care less what happens with Newton in the draft & what people think of him. But C'mon lucky, there is no way you can read what he wrote & not come away (at least initially) thinking "whoa, this dude just went in on him...". Then you find out that he hadn't even personally met the guy & you wonder even more. I mean with statements like "fake smile" & "plays to the camera.." what's that about? Furthermore, name me a player expected to go in the top 1/2 of the 1st round who was not prepped up by his agent & god knows who else that doesn't "know where the cameras are at this stage in the evaluation point." yet for some reason he felt the need to mention it in Cam's "negatives" report. We all know he had plenty of practice at it during the season at Auburn last year.

I don't know, I just don't think that being comfortable in front of camera (more so than most of these kids at this stage) is such a "negative" thing as he lists it...especially for a qb. Hell i remember BJ Raji crashing the set & practically doing stand up with Rich Eisen & company on the NFL Network the year he entered the draft.

My statement about being tired of people bringing up Russell was more towards folks bringing up Nawrocki being right about him as if that wasn't at all obvious to many. In reality, most people with a decent eye weren't buying the hype about him for 1 reason or another despite his last bowl performance & his amazing arm strength. At least bring up someone else that was a little less obvious like a Micheal Huff or a Vernon Gholston.
Old 04-07-2011   #76
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't know, I just don't think that being comfortable in front of camera (more so than most of these kids at this stage) is such a "negative" thing as he lists it...especially for a qb. Hell i remember BJ Raji crashing the set & practically doing stand up with Rich Eisen & company on the NFL Network the year he entered the draft.
Being comfortable in front of a camera is one thing. Believing yourself to be an icon before playing down one in the NFL and giving off a real prima donna vibe are another. The latter points to guys who won't take coaching well because they believe they are already great, who may not be hard workers for the same reason, who will potentially lose their teammates, may be huge contract problems and may not deal with adversity well. Cam clearly has talent. The question is if he has any humility.
Old 04-07-2011   #77
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
1st let me preface by saying I could care less what happens with Newton in the draft & what people think of him. But C'mon lucky, there is no way you can read what he wrote & not come away (at least initially) thinking "whoa, this dude just went in on him...". Then you find out that he hadn't even personally met the guy & you wonder even more. I mean with statements like "fake smile" & "plays to the camera.." what's that about? Furthermore, name me a player expected to go in the top 1/2 of the 1st round who was not prepped up by his agent & god knows who else that doesn't "know where the cameras are at this stage in the evaluation point." yet for some reason he felt the need to mention it in Cam's "negatives" report. We all know he had plenty of practice at it during the season at Auburn last year.

My statement about being tired of people bringing up Russell was more towards folks bringing up Nawrocki being right about him as if that wasn't at all obvious to many. In reality, most people with a decent eye weren't buying the hype about him for 1 reason or another despite his last bowl performance & his amazing arm strength. At least bring up someone else that was a little less obvious like a Micheal Huff or a Vernon Gholston.
I get what you're saying and agree with you to an extent.

Newton is this yrs version of VY. He has the ability to be a great QB. However it will come down to work ethic. Just like it did with VY.

This is why I believe it is proper to question Newtons character. If the past is any indication I wouldn't touch Newton with a 10 ft pole.

Warren would consider me to be a racist for that statemnet. But Warren only views things thru race. NFL owners view things thru $$$$. That is why although Newton should not be the #1 pick in the draft he probably will be.
Old 04-07-2011   #78
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
I get what you're saying and agree with you to an extent.

Newton is this yrs version of VY. He has the ability to be a great QB. However it will come down to work ethic. Just like it did with VY.

This is why I believe it is proper to question Newtons character. If the past is any indication I wouldn't touch Newton with a 10 ft pole.

Warren would consider me to be a racist for that statemnet. But Warren only views things thru race. NFL owners view things thru $$$$. That is why although Newton should not be the #1 pick in the draft he probably will be.
He's not VY at all. VY had a lot more success in college than Cam did. VY left by his Junior season having the best two Rose Bowl performances of all time back to back and never had any character issues in college. As far as his character went in college Vince was everything you'd look for in a QB as far as leadership goes. It wasn't until he had his spats with Fisher and Norm Chow where VY's immaturity started to show where he went off the deep end at times. Vince could have played another season at Texas if he wanted to though and would have probably won another NC.

Their skills sets are very similar though and I'll give you that, but as far as their personalities go comparing Cam to how VY was in college their not alike at all. VY's personality in the pros is another story.
Old 04-09-2011   #79
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000...e=HP_headlines

Newton receives Gruden's endorsement after personal workout
NFL.com
Published: April 9, 2011 at 11:20 a.m. Updated: April 9, 2011 at 12:59 p.m.

Count Jon Gruden among those who believe in Cam Newton.

Gruden, a former NFL coach and current ESPN analyst, put the Auburn quarterback through passing drills Friday and came away impressed, telling The Tampa Tribune "I think Cam Newton's the best player in the country."
"I agree with the Heisman Trophy people that gave him the award," said Gruden, the famously quarterback-minded ex-coach of the Oakland Raiders and Tampa Bay Buccaneers. "He's got everything I'm looking for."But do the Carolina Panthers, who own the No. 1 overall pick, agree with Gruden? Panthers coach Ron Rivera said Friday that the team is beginning to narrow its candidates for the top selection in the April 28-30 draft.

Newton has met with the Panthers and hopes he makes the cut.

"To some degree, I'd like to go No. 1," Newton said after the 20-minute workout at the University of South Florida. "The most important thing is to come out each day and get better. That's what I can control. ... I can't control where I get picked."

Gruden's praise of Newton came just days after coach Marvin Lewis, whose Cincinnati Bengals own the No. 4 pick, backed the quarterback's credentials. Lewis said Newton is "a real fine NFL prospect" who has "kind of had that 'it,' been that kind of guy for awhile."
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011   #80
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagar View Post
Oh, this is like a sound clip by a reporter who only looks at one side of the issue. Yes, Kerry went 13-3 in 2008, then went 0-6 in 2009. After which VY brought the team back with what record??? I don't think I'd hang my hat on Kerry Collin's reputation.

Do I think VY is an NFL caliber QB? No, he's got to grow up first. But to say this man doesn't have talent, is not exactly correct either. Let's face it, he's playing for Bud Adams who's main reason for drafting him was to get back at Houston (speculation of course, but I think I'm right).
Using the argument that he "Has talent" is stupid. Every player in the NFL "has talent". Even Jamarcus Russell "has talent". The fact is that Young is such an epic headcase that he is almost certain to never be able to utilize that "talent".

The fact is those Titans teams had enough talent outside of the QB position that they could get by with shoddy play from there. For all the shit he gets for being terrible, Mark Sanchez is doing a much better job at being a mediocre QB surrounded by an excellent defensive unit and loads of talent on the O-line.

On with Newton:

76Texan, QB's who don't take snaps under center at college don't bother me nearly as much as they used to. My problem with Newton is that he's never really had to make more than 1 progression before tucking and running becomes the better option to move the ball forward. It's much harder to get a guage on his decision making ability because that offense at Auburn wasn't exactly complicated, and even if he did make bad decisions the defense was usually good enough to bail him out and make them easily forgotten.

My second problem with him is that from when his last bowl game ended up until this point he seems to be more concerned with his image and endorsements. Sure, it's nitpicky, and could lead to absolutely nothing in the NFL. But that would be a huge concern for me taking him #1 Overall.

I think Newton going to a system that he can grow into and has solid talent already in it (Think mid to late) might be a great draft pick. #1 overall though seems like a really really bad idea with guys like Peterson, Green, and Dareus, along with like 2 or 3 other QB's who you can say are similarly talented. I think the Panthers could easily be looking at a situation in 2012 where they spent a 2nd on Clausen in 2010, a #1 on Newton and could possibly draft Jake Locker in 2012. Then what do you do? Again, I'm not saying that Newton doesn't look like a solid overall talent that could develop into a Steve Young type QB who can be a great scrambler and passer. Going #1 overall though, into that Panthers system, where they may lose Williams and Stewart hasn't held up for a full 16 yet? And they've got Steve Smith and who receiving the ball? Really?

Yikes.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read