Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 03-08-2011   #1
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92829 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Cam Newton

Does anyone think this guy is going to be really good on the next level?

I sure as hell don't. This guy already had problems and character issues coming into college and he's not a QB that's not going to need a lot of grooming. That's always a risk there. Then you add this guy's attitude and his ego and I can't believe that teams are even thinking of taking him in the first round. This guy is already talking in 3rd person for god sakes. All the athletes that do that always seem to be the head cases. I wouldn't touch Cam Newton until like the 3rd round if that.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011   #2
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Cam Newton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post

I sure as hell don't. This guy already had problems and character issues coming into college and he's not a QB that's not going to need a lot of grooming. That's always a risk there. Then you add this guy's attitude and his ego and I can't believe that teams are even thinking of taking him in the first round. This guy is already talking in 3rd person for god sakes. All the athletes that do that always seem to be the head cases. I wouldn't touch Cam Newton until like the 3rd round if that.
I saw a QB who left Florida, went to Blinn Jr College, get his way back into an Auburn program and get that Natl Championship. Everytime I've seen him I've only see him embracing the people and he looks pretty accurate to me.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011   #3
Kulluminatii
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3280 Kulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respected

I seriously doubt he'll end up like JaMarcus Russell, but unless he's put into an ideal situation where he can sit behind a vet for a few years, he'll at best be a VY 2.0. I have a feeling some team will take him in the first, maybe not one in the top 10, but some team out there will think they can model him into the next Vick.
Kulluminatii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011   #4
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92829 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
I saw a QB who left Florida, went to Blinn Jr College, get his way back into an Auburn program and get that Natl Championship. Everytime I've seen him I've only see him embracing the people and he looks pretty accurate to me.
He's not an accurate thrower at all when in comparison with other QB's that enter the league as top talent. He has no zip on his passes either. His attitude will cause problems for him. You'll see. Guys with egos like that who also have poor parenting and bad advice usually end up causing problems fir themselves. He'll be hard to coach and he's more of raw talent than he is a QB. QB's like him can be successful all day long in college, but the NFL is a much different game.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011   #5
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 73838 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Question: How is Cam Newton a worse QB than Vince Young or Tim Tebow?
Old 03-08-2011   #6
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
He's not, imo. But then again, what have those guys ever done in the pros?
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011   #7
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 33629 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
He's not, imo. But then again, what have those guys ever done in the pros?
Beat the Texans
Old 03-08-2011   #8
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 73838 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Vince made Pro Bowls, his team won games..... if that is Cam Newton's floor, that is pretty good.
Old 03-08-2011   #9
Spled
All Pro

Rep Power: 51 Spled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respected

I think he might develop into a Donovan McNabb type. Good, but turnover prone.
Spled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011   #10
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spled View Post
I can see the Donovan McNabb comparison!! Really good, but at the end of the day, won't deliver... That said, I think he'll be fairly productive... Not Jamarcus Russell.
Old 03-08-2011   #11
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Wouldn't you take a Donovan McNabb career over 95% of the QBs in the league?
Old 03-08-2011   #12
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Wouldn't you take a Donovan McNabb career over 95% of the QBs in the league?
Ummmmmmm, NO!!!!
Old 03-08-2011   #13
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Ummmmmmm, NO!!!!
McNabb led the Eagles to four consecutive NFC East division championships (2001, 2002, 2003, and 2004), five NFC Championship Games (2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, and 2008), and one Super Bowl (Super Bowl XXXIX, in which the Eagles were defeated by the New England Patriots). Perhaps his most memorable play has become known as "4th and 26", which took place against the Green Bay Packers in the final minutes of a 2003 NFC Divisional playoff game.
He is the Eagles' all-time leader in career wins, pass attempts, pass completions, passing yards, and passing touchdowns.[1]

If Schaub ends up with this kind of record I'd be a happy fan.
Old 03-08-2011   #14
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 262563 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
Beat the Texans
Hate to be the answer to that question.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011   #15
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

If this guy fails, it will be something like off-the-field issue or injury.
Best QB prospect (besides Sam Bradford) I've seen since the day of VY.

If you go through the qualification list that Sid Gilman, John Madden, and Bill Walsh had for QB, Newton met all the criteria.

It's Gabbert who was in the spread offense.

Newton was under center about 3-4 times a game (not counting the Championship game.)
It wasn't much, but I've seen him carry out those snaps flawlesly.
From handing the ball off to the RB in the I-formation, fake a hand off then give the ball to a receiver on a reverse, bootleg a la Schaub, play action fake, drop back pass... everything that a QB in a pro system sees.

Even when he was in the shotgun, he would take a 3-step drop from time to time. Also, the Tigers used 2 backs in their shotgun quite often, including the offset I.
(I did say I wouldn't mind Gus Malzan at all when the Cougars was looking for a HC. This guy is pretty crazily innovative.)

So in term of who needs more time to get use to the pro set, I say it would be Gabbert.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011   #16
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post

He really has to evolve in the passing game by leaps and bounds in order to become a viable long time starting QB. I honestly don't think him doing what he did in college is going to work for more than a few games or so if it works at all. It'll be interesting to see where he goes (I don't believe Carolina is going to pick him #1 overall, that just seems so stupid), and whether he's thrown in early or not. The character concerns are a little bit more trivial to me than what I see of him on game tape. I'm not saying he has no shot whatsoever, but I think he's going to have to put a lot of work into it. If he's up for that then he could be good, but I don't think he's going to have a big impact his rookie year.

E: I do think he has better throwing mechanics and a better motion than VY or Tebow had coming out of college, so he has that going for him. I think he's going to be plagued by accuracy issues like he showed at the combine.
Old 03-09-2011   #17
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
He really has to evolve in the passing game by leaps and bounds in order to become a viable long time starting QB. I honestly don't think him doing what he did in college is going to work for more than a few games or so if it works at all. It'll be interesting to see where he goes (I don't believe Carolina is going to pick him #1 overall, that just seems so stupid), and whether he's thrown in early or not. The character concerns are a little bit more trivial to me than what I see of him on game tape. I'm not saying he has no shot whatsoever, but I think he's going to have to put a lot of work into it. If he's up for that then he could be good, but I don't think he's going to have a big impact his rookie year.

E: I do think he has better throwing mechanics and a better motion than VY or Tebow had coming out of college, so he has that going for him. I think he's going to be plagued by accuracy issues like he showed at the combine.
If he's going to evolve in the passing game by leaps and bounds, he will be the best QB ever to play the game!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011   #18
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 43308 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

So how did his Pro-Day go in Auburn yesterday ?
IDEXAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011   #19
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Vince made Pro Bowls, his team won games..... if that is Cam Newton's floor, that is pretty good.

Quote:
Except his ego and sense of entitlement will hinder his development. VY is a head case and he wasn't like Cam is now.
Old 03-09-2011   #20
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He's not. He's got better skills and can read a defense better.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read