Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read


The National Football League League News & Current Events

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2011   #1
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame
 
nero THE zero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Spring
Age: 30
Posts: 2,640
Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Evidence the Texans are, in fact, seeking a space-eating NT?

We know Phillips has publicly said that he is comfortable with Cody and Mitchell at NT. But, McClain has said that the Texans will seek a third NT through FA or the draft.

Is this evidence that they might be seeking the big space-eater the fans have been clamoring for?

Quote:
*The Dolphins raised a lot of eyebrows when they put the franchise tag on nose tackle Paul Soliai, guaranteeing him about $12.5 million in 2011. Why did the team step out like that on a player who most fans aren’t even aware of? My sources tell me the Dolphins surveyed the free agent field and believed there were no other nose tackles close to Soliai in ability. Given the number of teams playing a 3-4 defense, the Dolphins feared Soliai would be the subject of a bidding war. In fact, there were rumblings that the Redskins and Texans coveted him.
FTR: Paul Soliai | #96 | DT
Height: 6-4 Weight: 355 Age: 27
__________________
"You always hear about how tough they are and all that stuff," Orton said. "I don't think they are tough. I think they are cheap..."
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011   #2
Blake
MMQB
 
Blake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Spring
Section: 551
Posts: 10,762
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Evidence the Texans are, in fact, seeking a space-eating NT?

Sounds like his agent did a good job of getting the Fins to bid against themselves.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011   #3
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame
 
The Pencil Neck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Dallas, TX
Age: 52
Posts: 17,293
Rep Power: 200326 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Evidence the Texans are, in fact, seeking a space-eating NT?

This was discussed pretty thoroughly in another thread, I think.

But I don't think that Wade is against a space eater NT and I think he'd prefer one. The problem is finding one. They don't grow on trees. There aren't very many good ones in this year's draft and we'll probably have to reach or trade away a huge chunk of our draft to get one. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the rumors about Solial were true.

So we've got to prepare for the possibility of not getting one this year and finding a way to make the defense work without one. That's why Cody got re-signed and Wade has said things about being able to get away with a smaller NT using a 1-gap scheme instead of the normal 2-gap scheme.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011   #4
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste
 
kiwitexansfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Age: 36
Posts: 9,178
Rep Power: 60180 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Evidence the Texans are, in fact, seeking a space-eating NT?

I think the beauty of Phillips being in charge is that he can make do with whatever we have. Whoever we bring in I trust Wade can use them as tools in his defense.
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011   #5
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Challis, ID
Age: 48
Posts: 7,314
Rep Power: 41142 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Evidence the Texans are, in fact, seeking a space-eating NT?

And that evidence would be based on what ? "Rumblings" ?
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011   #6
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame
 
nero THE zero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Spring
Age: 30
Posts: 2,640
Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Evidence the Texans are, in fact, seeking a space-eating NT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
And that evidence would be based on what ? "Rumblings" ?
That would be the proposition.
__________________
"You always hear about how tough they are and all that stuff," Orton said. "I don't think they are tough. I think they are cheap..."
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011   #7
chicagotexan2
IDBLDogDareU
 
chicagotexan2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Somewhere most interesting
Posts: 7,741
Rep Power: 112365 chicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Evidence the Texans are, in fact, seeking a space-eating NT?

Charles Hill, Travis Johnson, Jason Babin, Anthony Weaver, Frank Okam, Omobi Okoye....... The only space these bums were ever good at occupying was cap space. Dammit we're the freaking Det. Lions of drafting DL's instead of WR's.
__________________
Whether Andre Johnson ever plays for the Texans again or not he'll always be up there with Moon, Ryan, Olajuwon & Campbell. Thanks Andre.
chicagotexan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-07-2011   #8
Blake
MMQB
 
Blake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Spring
Section: 551
Posts: 10,762
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Evidence the Texans are, in fact, seeking a space-eating NT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagotexan2 View Post
Charles Hill, Travis Johnson, Jason Babin, Anthony Weaver, Frank Okam, Omobi Okoye....... The only space these bums were ever good at occupying was cap space. Dammit we're the freaking Det. Lions of drafting DL's instead of WR's.
We didnt draft Weaver, but I get your point. Alot of swing and misses with high picks.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011   #9
Malloy
Site Contributor
 
Malloy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: CPH
Age: 40
Posts: 5,527
Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Evidence the Texans are, in fact, seeking a space-eating NT?

At least we're swinging
__________________
Insanity is my only means of relaxation
Malloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011   #10
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame
 
CloakNNNdagger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 15,378
Rep Power: 166542 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Evidence the Texans are, in fact, seeking a space-eating NT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloy View Post
At least we're swinging
Unlike with pinnatas, the FO should try it without blindfolds for once.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011   #11
chicagotexan2
IDBLDogDareU
 
chicagotexan2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Somewhere most interesting
Posts: 7,741
Rep Power: 112365 chicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Evidence the Texans are, in fact, seeking a space-eating NT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
We didnt draft Weaver, but I get your point. Alot of swing and misses with high picks.
I forgot to add Robaire Smith. Not drafted either, but it just seems that Houston is where DL's careers come to die. We've been saddled with GM's with a bad eye for talent at least on the defensive side.
__________________
Whether Andre Johnson ever plays for the Texans again or not he'll always be up there with Moon, Ryan, Olajuwon & Campbell. Thanks Andre.
chicagotexan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011   #12
Doppelganger
None
 
Doppelganger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,862
Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Evidence the Texans are, in fact, seeking a space-eating NT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Unlike with pinnatas, the FO should try it without blindfolds for once.
Or, they could use the George Costanza opposite approach. Rather than go for a young kid with potential: go for the opposite: an older veteran with skills.
Rather than go for the big kid with size but no heart (Okam) go for the guy with a high end motor.


If every instinct the FO have is wrong, then the opposite would have to be right.

http://michaelgass.files.wordpress.c...e-seinfeld.jpg
__________________

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger