Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-06-2011   #1
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 126475 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected
Default The Texans May have put themselves in a tough spot.

This team has Let go quite a bit of LAST season starters. Grant it we weren't that good anyways BUT. For example Zach Diles he was a hell of a Gem at LB, I think he made Cushing and Ryans Better. Now we have to get another caliber LB that equals our surpasses Diles. Draft/FA

Pollard and Wilson, now i know wilson sucked i think everyone does. But not only now do u need a CB our 2, but now u need 2 Safties, Our u risk putting Quinn Back their, and that could turn out to be worse than having Wilson back there. Sounds like a lot of gambling except even more than last season. I Like Nolan but i'm not sure on his coverage skills either. So Now You have to find 1-2 CBs, a Couple of Safties. via Draft/FA

You Fail To Sign Leach, Now he was the Main Reason for success last season in the running game. So u find Someone who can open the gap for Foster like leach Does. Draft/FA

If u Dont Get Jacoby Jones back, U have to give Dorin Dickerson a shot, and draft a late guy. But if D.D don't work out, then where are we at. Maybe a Wr via Draft/FA

Last but least Mark Anderson was easily one of our best DE last season. He has good feet and a nose for the ball u tender him and will likely lose him after a CBA is signed. You let him go and then put all hope into Barwin coming off a serious injury. I guess if Barwin goes down we can always try to sigh Schobel again.

Now that is a lot of spots to fill and a lot of IF's. I'm not trying to be negative just honest. I hope the texans do fill all their needs with Superstars, but have they texans ever done that before ?!?!?!?!?

Last edited by EllisUnit; 03-06-2011 at 11:02 AM.
EllisUnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011   #2
Lucky

Rep Power: 207841 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Texans May have put themselves in a tough spot.

Losing Diles, Pollard, and Wilson have put the Texans in a tough spot? The Texans were 6-10 with one of the worst defenses in the NFL with those guys. How can it get tougher than that?

A case can be made that transitioning to the 3-4 will be tough. But even that's hard to argue after watching them fail in the 4-3. The Texans are in a tough spot because they haven't figured out how to build or coach any type of defense. Wade Phillips is supposed to come in and erase the cluelessness of Smithiak. We'll see if that's possible. IMO, Wade Phillips is the one in the tough spot.
Old 03-06-2011   #3
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54086 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

No offense, but would you mind deleting the extra letters in your post it just makes it hard to read. Just a suggestion.
Old 03-06-2011   #4
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 124578 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Brain Cushing
JB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011   #5
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
This team has Let go quite a bit of LAST season starters. Grant it we weren't that good anyways BUT. For example Zach Diles he was a hell of a Gem at LB, I think he made Cushing and Ryans Better. Now we have to get another caliber LB that equals our surpasses Diles. Draft/FA

Pollard and Wilson, now i know wilson sucked i think everyone does. But not only now do u need a CB our 2, but now u need 2 Safties, Our u risk putting Quinn Back their, and that could turn out to be worse than having Wilson back there. Sounds like a lot of gambling except even more than last season. I Like Nolan but i'm not sure on his coverage skills either. So Now You have to find 1-2 CBs, a Couple of Safties. via Draft/FA

You Fail To Sign Leach, Now he was the Main Reason for success last season in the running game. So u find Someone who can open the gap for Foster like leach Does. Draft/FA

If u Dont Get Jacoby Jones back, U have to give Dorin Dickerson a shot, and draft a late guy. But if D.D don't work out, then where are we at. Maybe a Wr via Draft/FA

Last but least Mark Anderson was easily one of our best DE last season. He has good feet and a nose for the ball u tender him and will likely lose him after a CBA is signed. You let him go and then put all hope into Barwin coming off a serious injury. I guess if Barwin goes down we can always try to sigh Schobel again.

Now that is a lot of spots to fill and a lot of IF's. I'm not trying to be negative just honest. I hope the texans do fill all their needs with Superstars, but have they texans ever done that before ?!?!?!?!?
I don't see JJ ever being much better than he is right now . I'd give Dickerson a chance from here on out .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011   #6
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Rep Power: 126475 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Losing Diles, Pollard, and Wilson have put the Texans in a tough spot? The Texans were 6-10 with one of the worst defenses in the NFL with those guys. How can it get tougher than that?

A case can be made that transitioning to the 3-4 will be tough. But even that's hard to argue after watching them fail in the 4-3. The Texans are in a tough spot because they haven't figured out how to build or coach any type of defense. Wade Phillips is supposed to come in and erase the cluelessness of Smithiak. We'll see if that's possible. IMO, Wade Phillips is the one in the tough spot.
oh it can get worse.
Old 03-06-2011   #7
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
I don't see JJ ever being much better than he is right now . I'd give Dickerson a chance from here on out .
i was hoping last season when we were out of contention they would of give Dickerson a Shot. the only time he was on the field was if it was a running play.

And my whole point is, we have a lot of positions to feel. How good do you feel that knowing a majority of our starters will likely be from the draft our from what we have right now.
Old 03-06-2011   #8
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 115066 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

There's two different issues here - letting them go, and replacing them. Letting them go doesn't concern me a bit. Being smart enough to craft a defense rather than just a roster of defensive players does - but you don't say "Let's keep some sub-par guys around because we are too incompetent to replace them with guys who are better".
Old 03-06-2011   #9
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
i was hoping last season when we were out of contention they would of give Dickerson a Shot. the only time he was on the field was if it was a running play.

And my whole point is, we have a lot of positions to feel. How good do you feel that knowing a majority of our starters will likely be from the draft our from what we have right now.
The Texans aren't very good and if you hold on to average players to long , you stay average . The problem is the offense is above average but they stink in drafting defensive talent .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011   #10
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 345471 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
The Texans aren't very good and if you hold on to average players to long , you stay average . The problem is the offense is above average but they stink in drafting defensive talent .
I'm not convinced that drafting was necessarily the problem. I think it was the defensive coaching combined with the drafting.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011   #11
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
There's two different issues here - letting them go, and replacing them. Letting them go doesn't concern me a bit. Being smart enough to craft a defense rather than just a roster of defensive players does - but you don't say "Let's keep some sub-par guys around because we are too incompetent to replace them with guys who are better".
if McNair pulls out his wallet this season, then hey great. we will probably be ok. But history has shown us time and time again he dont spend money on ANY big name guys. unless they are over the hill. A. Green, Eric Moulds etc.
Old 03-06-2011   #12
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
if McNair pulls out his wallet this season, then hey great. we will probably be ok. But history has shown us time and time again he dont spend money on ANY big name guys. unless they are over the hill. A. Green, Eric Moulds etc.
If you could sign anyone you want, would you be signing A.Green, Eric Moulds, Ron Dayne?

Do you think...... maybe, these "free agents" would also have to want to come here?

& try to remember, there have been FAs who have taken less money to play elsewhere.

Orlando Pace, David Givens.

Last edited by thunderkyss; 03-06-2011 at 04:36 PM.
thunderkyss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011   #13
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
If you could draft anyone you want, would you be signing A.Green, Eric Moulds, Ron Dayne?

Do you think...... maybe, these "free agents" would also have to want to come here?

& try to remember, there have been FAs who have taken less money to play elsewhere.

Orlando Pace, David Givens.
haha u lost me with the drafting anyone you want. EVERYONE knows the Texans dont go out and spend big money on Free Agents. Thats my whole point. If we start now i will be REALLY surprised.
Old 03-06-2011   #14
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55069 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
IMO, Wade Phillips is the one in the tough spot.
Hardly, he was looking for a job when he got this one. Smith & Kubiak are the one's out in the street with another losing season in Houston.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011   #15
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
haha u lost me with the drafting anyone you want. EVERYONE knows the Texans dont go out and spend big money on Free Agents. Thats my whole point. If we start now i will be REALLY surprised.
We signed Anthony Weaver & Antonio Smith to big money. Schaub got a pretty sweet deal. Sage & DanO got big money (for back-up QBs). We signed Jordan Black to starter money. Jaques Reeves wasn't cheap.

I don't think money has been the issue. We give it to scrubs.

I think the problem has been that no one wants to play for a loser.

IMO, Smith has to do a better job of selling the Texans as the team of the future.
Old 03-06-2011   #16
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 267323 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
We signed Anthony Weaver & Antonio Smith to big money. Schaub got a pretty sweet deal. Sage & DanO got big money (for back-up QBs). We signed Jordan Black to starter money. Jaques Reeves wasn't cheap.

IMO, Smith has to do a better job of selling the Texans as the team of the future.
Big name players do not like to be one of the only big name players being pursued. Ego may be massaged initially. But smart big names know that they need support to peddle their maximum skills, and that if you're bumping elbows with mostly scrubs, the ego trip of being the big fish in the pond quickly fades to reality.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011   #17
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54086 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

I think about things this way the vets might be past their primes and the time for them to leave has now come but if they are all replaced by rookies then this team will probably be just as bad.

Last edited by gary; 03-06-2011 at 07:24 PM.
gary is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011   #18
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I forgot Anthony Weaver even existed until I read your post.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011   #19
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Just because they didn't get a deal done before the deadline doesn't mean those players won't be with the Texans at camp next season. They are considered low priority at best, which means someone like Diles may be re-signed for depth behind Cushing/Ryans. I could see that as I think he's a good guy and passes Bob's character test, but if he is signed it won't be for much.
Old 03-06-2011   #20
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 82308 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not sure what happened to Diles last season. He played very well in '08 and '09. Last year was ugly, though. I think the reason he won't have an opportunity to redeem himself is because Wade realizes they need more athleticism at LB. Especially given Demeco's limited athleticism, whomever lines up next to Demeco needs to have good speed and the ability to drop effectively in coverage. Sharpton and Adibi both qualify in that regard. And, it appears that Wade is pretty high of Sharpton. We don't want two linebackers that both run a 40 yd dash on the wrong side of 4.8 lined up next to one another. That's probably one reason why the pass defense has struggled so much.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read