Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-05-2011   #1
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 48117 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Bounding in Optimism for 2011 (sorry, soapers)

The events of the past four days or so have me giddy with anticipation for the season, well, the off-season actually. If this CBA actually gets done by mid March, I think the Texans are primed to do some great things this year. I will be concerned, however, if an agreement isn't reached and the draft occurs before free agency. Anyway, I see many signs pointing up for our Texans and put together an extensive look at why... The article is full of links to other articles as well as to some free agency lists, etc...

From Ashes to Perfection: This is How I would Describe the Texans Off-Season. No Kidding!

Do the following moves have you more, or less excited about the Texans' prospects in 2011:

1. E. Wilson released
2. Pollard let go
3. OD re-signed for 4 yrs and $22 million
4. Shaun Cody re-signed
5. Derrick Ward re-signed
6. one week extension on CBA deadline
7. letting Zac Diles go
8. tendering, but not signing Mark Anderson, Rashad Butler, Mike Briesel, Jacoby Jones
9. dumping Kasey Studdard
10. not signing Vonte Leach yet
11. Moving Quin to safety... maybe
Old 03-05-2011   #2
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3658 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon
Default Re: Bounding in Optimism for 2011 (sorry, soapers)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
The events of the past four days or so have me giddy with anticipation for the season, well, the off-season actually. If this CBA actually gets done by mid March, I think the Texans are primed to do some great things this year. I will be concerned, however, if an agreement isn't reached and the draft occurs before free agency. Anyway, I see many signs pointing up for our Texans and put together an extensive look at why... The article is full of links to other articles as well as to some free agency lists, etc...

From Ashes to Perfection: This is How I would Describe the Texans Off-Season. No Kidding!

Do the following moves have you more, or less excited about the Texans' prospects in 2011:

1. E. Wilson released
2. Pollard let go
3. OD re-signed for 4 yrs and $22 million
4. Shaun Cody re-signed
5. Derrick Ward re-signed
6. one week extension on CBA deadline
7. letting Zac Diles go
8. tendering, but not signing Mark Anderson, Rashad Butler, Mike Briesel, Jacoby Jones
9. dumping Kasey Studdard
10. not signing Vonte Leach yet
11. Moving Quin to safety... maybe
1. doesn't make us better
2. doesn't make us better
3. doesn't make us that much better. TE wasn't a problem last year.
4. doesn't make us better
5. doesn't make us better
6. HOORAY!!!
7. may make us better but nice draft pick Rick
8. doesn't make us better but were prudent moves
9. doesn't make us better but Kubiak was able to get rid of a Longhorn
10. incomplete
11. OMG that move has failure written all over it. Trust me on that. EPIC FAIL.
Old 03-05-2011   #3
VTexan
The Realist

Rep Power: 5771 VTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

So the perfect off-season is to not sign anyone new.

in before Joe Texan facepalm
VTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011   #4
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 48117 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTexan View Post
So the perfect off-season is to not sign anyone new.

in before Joe Texan facepalm
In a manner of speaking... yes. Since free agency hasn't started yet, I am acutally thrilled that they didn't bid on the couple guys that were out there: atogwe, rogers, sanders

I'm not judging the off-season as if it is over... It appears to me that the Texans are accurately assessing the team's strengths and weaknesses, making smart decisions, and are in position to get much better this off-season... assuming the CBA gets done in the next couple weeks.
Old 03-05-2011   #5
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

The moves don't have me more or less excited.

They haven't really done anything that makes me gow wow in either direction.

Not that they've been able to...just sayin
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011   #6
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
The moves don't have me more or less excited.

They haven't really done anything that makes me gow wow in either direction.

Not that they've been able to...just sayin
Rey, I get what you are saying. I happen to think that dumping Wilson and Pollard indicates that they finally have assessed their issue at safety and are preparing to resolve it. I love that they let Studdard go, instead of counting on him again. I also like the success they had playing hardball with OD.

Now, I could be wrong. Perhaps they plan to enter the season with Barber and Nolan starting at safety. If so, then I'm done writing on my blog because 1. I'd be too freakin' frustrated to continue following this team this closely... 2. I clearly have no clue what's going on if I am misreading the organization this badly.

So, we'll see.
Old 03-05-2011   #7
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Rey, I get what you are saying. I happen to think that dumping Wilson and Pollard indicates that they finally have assessed their issue at safety and are preparing to resolve it. I love that they let Studdard go, instead of counting on him again. I also like the success they had playing hardball with OD.

Now, I could be wrong. Perhaps they plan to enter the season with Barber and Nolan starting at safety. If so, then I'm done writing on my blog because 1. I'd be too freakin' frustrated to continue following this team this closely... 2. I clearly have no clue what's going on if I am misreading the organization this badly.

So, we'll see.
And I completely understand what you are saying. It does seem as if they are planning on being aggressive to fix some of the problem areas on the team.

I'm just not 100% sure how they plan on doing it. I want to wait before I judge them because I could see them penciling in Quinn at SS and not giving Nolan any real competition at SS.

I actually think they may make a formidable combo there....IF they went out and got a bonafide cover corner and a beast OLB to rush from the edge. For instance, I would be fine with Quinn and Nolan penciled in at the safety spots if they are planning to go after Nmamdi and trade up for Von Miller.

But I just don't know what they are planning yet.

Right now, I see a defense that has a bunch of holes and I see two guys coming off of serious injury who are being counted on to play prominent roles. If they don't aggressively try to upgrade the talent level on the defense I'm not going to be too thrilled.

I think Wade will help some, but I'd like for us to get some good ingredients for him to cook with.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-06-2011   #8
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

The thing that has been consistently wrong on this team since the beginning of the Kubiak era has been the defense.

I think the FO has done a good job getting talent and I think they've gotten the talent that the coaches wanted as much as possible. The fact that the talent didn't translate into wins is on the coaches both for choosing the wrong guys and for not coaching them to do the right things and for having bad defensive schemes.

Up until this point, I think the defensive coaches have been bound by what Kubes wanted the defense to be. (If you look at Smith's and Bush's press conferences, they sounded pretty much the same with the same words and the same concepts.) And because of that, they ended up chasing rainbows.

The signing of Wade Phillips could be the solution to that. Although I hate having to turn into a 3-4 defense at this point, I think that Wade Phillips could have been given last year's defensive personnel and done a much better job with it that Bush and his staff did.

So I'm looking forward with us getting some of the pieces necessary for Wade to put his defense together. And I'm happy we've signed and tendered and let go the guys we've signed and tendered and let go.

BUT.

It's too early for me to get really happy about it, yet. They still have to make a lot of moves to shore some things up before I'm going to get happy and even then, I think I'll have to see the results on the field. I have to see us do better than 5-7 to start the season before I'm really going to believe that this is working. Unless both the offense and defense come out dominating opponents for the first half of the season.

So, they've got to prove it to me. Last year, I was swimming in the Kool-aide; this year, not so much even though I want to be.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011   #9
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

hope springs eternal

The problem with the Texan D is they're to soft & predictable up front. I'm giddy that Wade can see this & make appropriate changes both in scheme & personel.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011   #10
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 25091 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected

I was excited for last season too, you see how that turned out. I'll wait to see what we have on the field before I get too excited again.
Old 03-06-2011   #11
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

I give you points for the effort.

But outside of changing to a 3-4 defense (it's new, our 4-3 sucked, etc.) nothing has me optimistic.

We're gonna' sit here, like we always do, thinking the Texans are letting crappy free agents slide by (while "waiting for the good ones" to become available) and then one day we realize free agency is done and we didn't grab anybody but some Pollard-esque player.

Patterns.

If we grab a high-profile, expensive defensive player...then Wade cashed in his one, complimentary poker chip for him. But I think Rick Smith and Kubiak are still running the show and I don't think they'll let Wade have the freedom he should have.

Patterns, patterns, patterns. Tigers don't change their stripes easily, and I think Kubiak is going to go down with his ship. Wade becomes interim head coach, then full HC, and he tells people that we WILL focus on defense. What happens from there is anybody's guess.
Old 03-06-2011   #12
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21460 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm very curious about the Texans plans for the CB position if they do move Quin to the FS position. There are only 3 notable free agent corners that haven't been tendered with a 1st round pick or higher.

Asomugha is the premier CB available & will command a mega contract, but he plays the left side like Quin & would solve our secondary woes once & for all.

Carlos Rogers would be a solid addition as well, but he plays primarily on the right side which is Jacksons side.

Ike Taylor is the 3rd significant CB that has not been tendered, but he's openly said he wants to retire with Pittsburgh. He does primarily play the left side, but he'll be turning 31 years old prior to next season.

So, unless the Texans plan on trading up in the draft to draft Patrick Peterson I have to think they may make a hard run at Asomugha.

Or at least, that's what I'm optimistic about.

The Texan Bull Rush
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011   #13
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9610 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottoddie View Post
I'm very curious about the Texans plans for the CB position if they do move Quin to the FS position. There are only 3 notable free agent corners that haven't been tendered with a 1st round pick or higher.

Asomugha is the premier CB available & will command a mega contract, but he plays the left side like Quin & would solve our secondary woes once & for all.

Carlos Rogers would be a solid addition as well, but he plays primarily on the right side which is Jacksons side.

Ike Taylor is the 3rd significant CB that has not been tendered, but he's openly said he wants to retire with Pittsburgh. He does primarily play the left side, but he'll be turning 31 years old prior to next season.

So, unless the Texans plan on trading up in the draft to draft Patrick Peterson I have to think they may make a hard run at Asomugha.

Or at least, that's what I'm optimistic about.
Most of those tenders are going to be obsolete if the new CBA allows unrestricted FA after 4 years instead of 6 (which is what most predict will happen). A couple of guys I didn't see you list, Jonathan Joseph of the Bengals and Brent Grimes of the Falcons. Of those two I know Grimes was tendered which could be why you didn't mention him. Also If we sign a guy like Eric Weddle maybe there is no need to move Quin. I do hope they make a hard run at Nnamdi regardless but he certainly isn't our only option.
Old 03-06-2011   #14
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 76315 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

If the Texans make a REAL effort to sign Namdi, Im talking a visit, contract talks, etc... Ill be happy. This much would at least show the fans they are serious and trying.

I get this feeling that even with having the worst secondary in the league last year we wont even try.
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011   #15
Lucky

Rep Power: 120321 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

So dale is bounding in optimism for the Texans' chances in (pick a year)? What a surprise.

Other than hiring Wade Phillips, the Texans have done little. And the Phillips hiring is trumped by retaining Smithiak (in my eyes). To be fair, real free agency is on hold and the draft is over 2 months away. So there's not much to get excited about.

But there were vets available that possibly could have helped the Texans. The Skins and Saints thought there were vet defenders that could help them. But the Texans stood pat. Again, what a surprise.
Old 03-06-2011   #16
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21460 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Chiles View Post
Most of those tenders are going to be obsolete if the new CBA allows unrestricted FA after 4 years instead of 6 (which is what most predict will happen). A couple of guys I didn't see you list, Jonathan Joseph of the Bengals and Brent Grimes of the Falcons. Of those two I know Grimes was tendered which could be why you didn't mention him. Also If we sign a guy like Eric Weddle maybe there is no need to move Quin. I do hope they make a hard run at Nnamdi regardless but he certainly isn't our only option.
Then that will help tremendously. Joseph was tendered at the max for a 1st & 3rd round pick.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...r-on-cb-joseph

The Texan Bull Rush
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011   #17
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 71089 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
If the Texans make a REAL effort to sign Namdi, Im talking a visit, contract talks, etc... Ill be happy. This much would at least show the fans they are serious and trying.

I get this feeling that even with having the worst secondary in the league last year we wont even try.
Kubiak - Awww Our young CBs will be better this year. Just have Faith Rick hell they cant get much worse. And if Worse comes to Worse, i can get u on in denver next season.
Old 03-06-2011   #18
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:

So, we'll see.
I wonder if there is something to be said, about cutting bait, with players that obviously aren't making it.

Eugene Wilson..... how different is this than cutting CC Brown, Glen Earl, Will Demps......

Zack Diles.... Morlon Greenwood, Shantee Orr

It's not like the Texans haven't done things like this before.

Pollard on the other hand.... fan favorite, play-maker.... cut.
Casy Studdard.... friend of a friend........ cut.

Though these moves say a lot, it is unclear, as of yet, exactly what they say.

Replace these guys with quality, impact players...... then we'll see if it's the S.O.S. or not.
Old 03-06-2011   #19
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41142 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
But outside of changing to a 3-4 defense (it's new, our 4-3 sucked, etc.) nothing has me optimistic.
Our defense didn't suck because it was a 4-3 anymore than converting to a 3-4 will automatically make it a success. It sucked largely because of the personnel on defense and the defensive coachs.
So changing DC is a significant move given he'll bring mostly new defensive coachs along with himself and probably have a lot to say about who plays defense. No doubt he already has with the recent moves in releasing and/or tendering defensive players. Actually I think Wade is almost a co-HC right now ?
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011   #20
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
So dale is bounding in optimism for the Texans' chances in (pick a year)? What a surprise.

Other than hiring Wade Phillips, the Texans have done little. And the Phillips hiring is trumped by retaining Smithiak (in my eyes). To be fair, real free agency is on hold and the draft is over 2 months away. So there's not much to get excited about.

But there were vets available that possibly could have helped the Texans. The Skins and Saints thought there were vet defenders that could help them. But the Texans stood pat. Again, what a surprise.
When you use the Redskins' front office as an example for anything other than how not to do it, you've likely made a mistake.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read