Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read


Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2011   #1
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame
 
Wolf6151's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pearland, Texas
Posts: 3,333
Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Wolf6151 Post Combine Mock.

1. Prince Amukamara-CB, this pick might take a little luck but with Gabbert, Newton, Quinn, and Jones moving up the chart it's very possible for Amukamara to fall to us. He's got great speed and potential, also fills a huge team need.

2. Brooks Reed-OLB, I'm torn between Reed and Acho and could honestly go either way here. Reed has great size and motor and with the switch to the 3-4 we'll need lots of athletic LB's.

3. Jerrell Powe-NT, great size for the position and although he might not collapse the pocket often he's a good run stuffer and block eater. He needs to add some strength but that will come from and NFL level weight lifting program.

4. Joe Lefeged-SS, good size for the position and great speed. It sounds like we're moving Glover Quin to FS so I picked a SS because we're apparently letting Pollard walk.

5. Steven Friday-OLB, great size, speed, and pass coverage ability. He's got some character flaws so the Texans may shy away from him, if they do then the pick is Mike Mohamed-ILB.

6. Lee Ziemba-OT/OG, it sounds like Butler will be gone in FA so we'll need someone to take the swing tackle spot and at least 1 O-lineman should be added each year.

7. Derek Epperson-P, Turks replacement.

I took 2 secondary players, 2 LB's, 1 NT, 1 O-lineman, and Punter. I doubled up on our 2 biggest needs, added some size and quality to the D-line, added some depth to the O-line, and replaced Turk.

Let's hear it.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011   #2
otisbean
All Pro
 
otisbean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 572
Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Wolf6151 Post Combine Mock.

I like it. I might be crazy but if we took Prince I'd move him to FS and let him be our center fielder. He could be an Ed Reed type player. With his speed and athletic ability his range would be insane. If you read about his weaknesses, almost all would alleviated by moving to FS and Lord knows it's about time we have stud back there.

Couple other players I wouldn't mind:

Muhamed Wilkerson DE
Aaron Williams FS
Tyler Sash SS
Ian Williams NT
Acho OLB
Buster Skrine developmental DB and KR/PR
Davon House CB
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011   #3
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame
 
Wolf6151's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pearland, Texas
Posts: 3,333
Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Wolf6151 Post Combine Mock.

Otis, that's not a bad idea. I'd give Amukamara at least 2-3 yrs. at CB first to prove or disprove that he can handle the position but your right about the size and recovery speed to play FS. A stud in centerfield would be really nice.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011   #4
beerlover
Site Contributor
 
beerlover's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 12,402
Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Wolf6151 Post Combine Mock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
1. Prince Amukamara-CB, this pick might take a little luck but with Gabbert, Newton, Quinn, and Jones moving up the chart it's very possible for Amukamara to fall to us. He's got great speed and potential, also fills a huge team need.

2. Brooks Reed-OLB, I'm torn between Reed and Acho and could honestly go either way here. Reed has great size and motor and with the switch to the 3-4 we'll need lots of athletic LB's.

3. Jerrell Powe-NT, great size for the position and although he might not collapse the pocket often he's a good run stuffer and block eater. He needs to add some strength but that will come from and NFL level weight lifting program.

4. Joe Lefeged-SS, good size for the position and great speed. It sounds like we're moving Glover Quin to FS so I picked a SS because we're apparently letting Pollard walk.

5. Steven Friday-OLB, great size, speed, and pass coverage ability. He's got some character flaws so the Texans may shy away from him, if they do then the pick is Mike Mohamed-ILB.

6. Lee Ziemba-OT/OG, it sounds like Butler will be gone in FA so we'll need someone to take the swing tackle spot and at least 1 O-lineman should be added each year.

7. Derek Epperson-P, Turks replacement.

I took 2 secondary players, 2 LB's, 1 NT, 1 O-lineman, and Punter. I doubled up on our 2 biggest needs, added some size and quality to the D-line, added some depth to the O-line, and replaced Turk.

Let's hear it.
not a fan of Prince, leave it at that.

have not seen Brooks Reed 2nd rd. on any mock before I did mine then a couple hours later I see you have him too?

Powe is a big, classic NT body. Not athletic nor does he display good footwork in the box, another in the mold of Frank Okam. We need to redefine what the nose tackle position is in Wade Phillips scheme. Mine is a DT who is stout, tough, has ability to create at least some interior pressure on the QB, excellent footwork (Phil Taylor qualifies in this department) demonstrates ability to be an everydown attacker & flash more explosion.

I like Joe Lefeged in 4th. Well coached, disciplined player who will handle responsibilities.

Steven Friday, like I said is a good intermediate grade player, he would add depth. pass rushing specialist primarily special teams player.

Imagine I felt silly mocking Lee Ziemba in the 5th, well at least I noted a move up using supplemental in the 4th wise if the Texans want this fine RT prospect. No way he lasts until the 6th.

Punter/Kicker yes if they fall in love with one.
__________________

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011   #5
mussop
Hall of Fame
 
mussop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 6,136
Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Wolf6151 Post Combine Mock.

BL, ole miss had reed in one of his mocks several days ago and I have been saying for weeks that reed would be a steel in the second round.
__________________
"I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots." Albert Einstein
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011   #6
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid
 
Honoring Earl 34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Houston
Age: 51
Posts: 19,052
Rep Power: 179775 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Wolf6151 Post Combine Mock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
BL, ole miss had reed in one of his mocks several days ago and I have been saying for weeks that reed would be a steel in the second round.
Reed has an impressive 10 yd split to go along with 30 reps and a good motor .
__________________
A little about Colleen. She's the brains behind the operation. Magna cum laude from BC, top five in her law school class, so obviously I have a pretty good idea how to recruit, I can tell you that.
Honoring Earl 34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011   #7
beerlover
Site Contributor
 
beerlover's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 12,402
Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Wolf6151 Post Combine Mock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
BL, ole miss had reed in one of his mocks several days ago and I have been saying for weeks that reed would be a steel in the second round.
sorry I must have missed it, but I did do a quick check & the only one found was a 3rd rd. selection Doppelganger's February Mock Version 2.0. would really like to see it, for the most part, similar to Clay Matthews two years ago was being overlooked & considered 3rd rd. material, but I guess we all know better don't we
__________________

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-05-2011   #8
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame
 
Wolf6151's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pearland, Texas
Posts: 3,333
Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Wolf6151 Post Combine Mock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post

have not seen Brooks Reed 2nd rd. on any mock before I did mine then a couple hours later I see you have him too?

Powe is a big, classic NT body. Not athletic nor does he display good footwork in the box, another in the mold of Frank Okam. We need to redefine what the nose tackle position is in Wade Phillips scheme. Mine is a DT who is stout, tough, has ability to create at least some interior pressure on the QB, excellent footwork (Phil Taylor qualifies in this department) demonstrates ability to be an everydown attacker & flash more explosion.

I like Joe Lefeged in 4th. Well coached, disciplined player who will handle responsibilities.

Steven Friday, like I said is a good intermediate grade player, he would add depth. pass rushing specialist primarily special teams player.

Imagine I felt silly mocking Lee Ziemba in the 5th, well at least I noted a move up using supplemental in the 4th wise if the Texans want this fine RT prospect. No way he lasts until the 6th.

Punter/Kicker yes if they fall in love with one.


As for Reed, I've been going back and forth between him and Acho for a while now. I do multiple mocks with different players/positions in the 1st round and work out each one. The drop off in the CB position from the top 4 is tremendous though so I decided to take CB in the 1st thus making OLB the next biggest need. Maybe we get real lucky and Justin Houston is available to us in the 2nd round but it's doubtful and comes down to Acho or Reed and I could honestly go either way but I'm a little leery of UT players.

As for Ziemba, I've been wanting a tweener OT/OG in the late rounds and there aren't very many of that type of player. At first I wanted James Carpenter but he appears to have moved up to high, maybe we get lucky and he falls. Another choice could be Darius Morris from Temple but I don't know anything about him. That leaves Ziemba and I like guys who play in the SEC against top competition. As for not being available in the 6th, guys that go that late in the draft, 5th 6th or 7th rounds, can move around alot and it's a little bit of wishful thinking and hope.

As for Powe, I wanted a big traditional NT here. He's not a big pass rush guy like Taylor but he'll take up blockers and stuff the run. He's not like Okam because Okam's height worked against him. He never learned to get low enough and got stood up losing leverage and was moved out of the play easily. Powe is shorter and has the natural leverage advantage. I'll agree his footwork is slow but in the 3rd round he's not going to be perfect. I've also thought about someone more athletic here like Jarvis Jenkins and wouldn't be upset with that pick either. Jenkins fits Phillips one gap system better but I settled on a more traditional NT.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011   #9
beerlover
Site Contributor
 
beerlover's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 12,402
Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Wolf6151 Post Combine Mock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
As for Reed, I've been going back and forth between him and Acho for a while now. I do multiple mocks with different players/positions in the 1st round and work out each one. The drop off in the CB position from the top 4 is tremendous though so I decided to take CB in the 1st thus making OLB the next biggest need. Maybe we get real lucky and Justin Houston is available to us in the 2nd round but it's doubtful and comes down to Acho or Reed and I could honestly go either way but I'm a little leery of UT players.

As for Ziemba, I've been wanting a tweener OT/OG in the late rounds and there aren't very many of that type of player. At first I wanted James Carpenter but he appears to have moved up to high, maybe we get lucky and he falls. Another choice could be Darius Morris from Temple but I don't know anything about him. That leaves Ziemba and I like guys who play in the SEC against top competition. As for not being available in the 6th, guys that go that late in the draft, 5th 6th or 7th rounds, can move around alot and it's a little bit of wishful thinking and hope.

As for Powe, I wanted a big traditional NT here. He's not a big pass rush guy like Taylor but he'll take up blockers and stuff the run. He's not like Okam because Okam's height worked against him. He never learned to get low enough and got stood up losing leverage and was moved out of the play easily. Powe is shorter and has the natural leverage advantage. I'll agree his footwork is slow but in the 3rd round he's not going to be perfect. I've also thought about someone more athletic here like Jarvis Jenkins and wouldn't be upset with that pick either. Jenkins fits Phillips one gap system better but I settled on a more traditional NT.
I can't get down taking another cb who struggles in press coverage with number one pick back to back years. Again there is no reason why Texans cannot find a more proven, ready to plug in corner via free agency.

Guess its personel choice between Watt or Jordan, but Cam is a great athletic speciman with superior NFL bloodlines. I really like grouping Smith/Williams/Jordan. This also gives Wade another option, let Mario stand up in OLB Ware attack mode.

Brooks is new to me, but addressing OLB in 2nd is just better value, think back to Babin deal.

We differ completely about nose guard, you want substance I want skill set. Phil Taylor is the only big body with feet to fit Wades system.
__________________

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011   #10
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame
 
Wolf6151's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pearland, Texas
Posts: 3,333
Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Wolf6151 Post Combine Mock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I can't get down taking another cb who struggles in press coverage with number one pick back to back years. Again there is no reason why Texans cannot find a more proven, ready to plug in corner via free agency.

Guess its personel choice between Watt or Jordan, but Cam is a great athletic speciman with superior NFL bloodlines. I really like grouping Smith/Williams/Jordan. This also gives Wade another option, let Mario stand up in OLB Ware attack mode.

Brooks is new to me, but addressing OLB in 2nd is just better value, think back to Babin deal.

We differ completely about nose guard, you want substance I want skill set. Phil Taylor is the only big body with feet to fit Wades system.

Just because CB didn't work out in the 1st round last year doesn't mean that it can't work out the next year. The Jaguars keep addressing DE pass rusher every year, you gotta keep trying til you find what works. I'm also not writing off Jackson. CB is the 2nd hardest position behind QB to transition to the NFL. Remember Aso and Revis weren't great their first 2 yrs. in the league, it took time to develop into what they are now. Also I've seen nothing in the history of Texans FA to indicate that they'll go after an elite/grossly expensive CB. Remember bottom line Bob likes making money not spending it. Also a FA CB has to want to come here and they'll be getting offers from other teams some of which will be contenders.

Smith/Williams/Jordan or Watt does sound nice.

Hear me out on this crazy idea before you totally discount it. With Phillips one gap system I keep hearing that we want an athletic NT to apply pressure up the middle like Jay Ratliff at Dallas. Ratliff is 6'04 and 303 lbs. What if we moved Mario to NT? He's very athletic, strong as a bull, has great speed to split a gap, and a bull rush is one of his only 2 moves. He's listed at 295 lbs. and at 6'06" it wouldn't be hard for him to add some weight. I know we'd lose the advantage of his speed around the corner but I think it would be worth a try at least to see if he could handle it. I think he could split a gap or pressure a QB up the middle. Opinion?
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011   #11
beerlover
Site Contributor
 
beerlover's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 12,402
Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Wolf6151 Post Combine Mock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
Just because CB didn't work out in the 1st round last year doesn't mean that it can't work out the next year. The Jaguars keep addressing DE pass rusher every year, you gotta keep trying til you find what works. I'm also not writing off Jackson. CB is the 2nd hardest position behind QB to transition to the NFL. Remember Aso and Revis weren't great their first 2 yrs. in the league, it took time to develop into what they are now. Also I've seen nothing in the history of Texans FA to indicate that they'll go after an elite/grossly expensive CB. Remember bottom line Bob likes making money not spending it. Also a FA CB has to want to come here and they'll be getting offers from other teams some of which will be contenders.

Smith/Williams/Jordan or Watt does sound nice.

Hear me out on this crazy idea before you totally discount it. With Phillips one gap system I keep hearing that we want an athletic NT to apply pressure up the middle like Jay Ratliff at Dallas. Ratliff is 6'04 and 303 lbs. What if we moved Mario to NT? He's very athletic, strong as a bull, has great speed to split a gap, and a bull rush is one of his only 2 moves. He's listed at 295 lbs. and at 6'06" it wouldn't be hard for him to add some weight. I know we'd lose the advantage of his speed around the corner but I think it would be worth a try at least to see if he could handle it. I think he could split a gap or pressure a QB up the middle. Opinion?
Your cracking me up. One of the main benefits to adding a true 5-tech is to keep Mario healthy & giving him more playmaking opportunites plus he might be strong as a bull but inside would lose his leverage

Now maybe Wade could bump Smith inside like they did last two seasons, he has a little more sand in his pants as they say.
__________________

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011   #12
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame
 
Wolf6151's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pearland, Texas
Posts: 3,333
Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Wolf6151 Post Combine Mock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Now maybe Wade could bump Smith inside like they did last two seasons, he has a little more sand in his pants as they say.
I could go for that if Antonio would add some weight. That type of move would make Jordan or Watt a possibility in the 1st round.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger