Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans reach deal with tight end Daniels

I did now it is a long term deal I thought it was going to be a one year thing.

I personally didnt want this to go down but I suppose worse things could happen. No doubt about it, hes a play maker and our PASSING offense is better when hes on the field. I just want him to stay 100% healthy and full speed the whole year to see what kind of numbers he can put up when hes firing on all cylinders.

We'll see how this shakes out....

I personally didnt want this to go down but I suppose worse things could happen. No doubt about it, hes a play maker and our PASSING offense is better when hes on the field. I just want him to stay 100% healthy and full speed the whole year to see what kind of numbers he can put up when hes firing on all cylinders.

We'll see how this shakes out....

I'm here. I realize his importance. I think he is a great TE for the offense. I get a little worried with 4 year deals for a guy who has trouble staying on the field. He is a stud when healthy though.

I'm here. I realize his importance. I think he is a great TE for the offense. I get a little worried with 4 year deals for a guy who has trouble staying on the field. He is a stud when healthy though.

Yeah, Im just worried that he has had 3 major knee injuries. Thats just insane to me that one player can go through that and still be effective. I just know he's running out of "lives" and can't keep going at that rate.

Contrary to others beliefs, our offense is still extremely effective without OD. Not saying he doesnt matter, just saying we have so many offensive weapons that OD doesnt make or break our scheme.

To this point I haven't seen a word about what sort of bonus was involved, and with the lack of guaranteed deals in the NFL (which isn't going to change as a result of any new CBA), the 4 year part of it could end up meaningless.

Regardless, very happy to see him back in the fold - I think it was important to keep him.

Remember though, this is the NFL. The contract is only as good as the guaranteed money. We know its not all guranteed, but if it was it would be about 5.5 mill per year. 4 years for 22 may only be around 10 or 15 in guaranteed money. So if it is a 3 year deal with 10-15 mill in guaranteed, we are spending 3.33-5.00 mill per year. Not bad considering:

Vernon Davis is ~$7.35 million per year, Antonio Gates is ~$7.235 million per year, and Dallas Clark is ~$6.96 million per year. I would be ok with playing OD something in the 3.33-5 mill per year. OD is as good if not better than all three and comes in 2 mill+ cheaper.

Congrats to OD! I reckon his injury saved the Texans some money. If he'd not gotten hurt it would've been almost impossible to sign him for this amount.

Now we need to get muh boy Leach locked up

Sooo, I guess we'll only be drafting 1 TE this year instead of 2?

Sorry, had to get the infamous TE joke in here

According to JM, only $6 million is guaranteed, though. So, at most, the signing bonus is $6 million and it could be less.

So, if the Texans cut OD after 2012, the Texans would save about $4 million is salary for that season and be hit with a $3 million penalty... In other words, it is a very friendly contract for the Texans. Playing hardball with OD last season has really payed off for them!

According to JM, only $6 million is guaranteed, though. So, at most, the signing bonus is $6 million and it could be less.

So, if the Texans cut OD after 2012, the Texans would save about $4 million is salary for that season and be hit with a $3 million penalty... In other words, it is a very friendly contract for the Texans. Playing hardball with OD last season has really payed off for them!

Bob Mcnair is cheap! Rick Smith is not doing his job!

Remember though, this is the NFL. The contract is only as good as the guaranteed money. We know its not all guranteed, but if it was it would be about 5.5 mill per year. 4 years for 22 may only be around 10 or 15 in guaranteed money. So if it is a 3 year deal with 10-15 mill in guaranteed, we are spending 3.33-5.00 mill per year. Not bad considering:

Vernon Davis is ~$7.35 million per year, Antonio Gates is ~$7.235 million per year, and Dallas Clark is ~$6.96 million per year. I would be ok with playing OD something in the 3.33-5 mill per year. OD is as good if not better than all three and comes in 2 mill+ cheaper.

Haha, let's not get ahead of ourselves just yet.

Owen Daniels represents Texans well both on & off the field. Happy for Texans, they got this one right :worldpeace:

This signing has made my day. Looks like we got him for practically chump change as well, I'm astonished. I mean 6 mil guaranteed?

Haha, let's not get ahead of ourselves just yet.

Not getting ahead by much. OD was killing the league on pace for over 1000 yds when he went down. Post-injury started slow but he had more yards than all of those guys over the last 4 games last season. When healthy he is top tier.

:texflag:Well done Texans for resigning him.

Well done for OD for signing for a little less than prime - his injury has affected his value, but he has still got made with this deal, so well done for not dollar hunting elsewhere.

Good deal by the Texans. This is the first thing I read when I logged in today. Glad to have OD in for the long term.

This signing has made my day. Looks like we got him for practically chump change as well, I'm astonished. I mean 6 mil guaranteed?

supposedly, OD turned down a deal that included a $12-$15 signing bonus last season... So, I'd say things worked out well for the organization, especially considering they only paid him a restricted FA salary last season.

Wow. If that is true, they have scored a MAJOR victory here and not only do I like the signing I LOVE IT. Where else can you get a probowl caliber TE for such little money!

I'm going to disagree with the consensus opinion here, this is a terrible re-signing. Dreesen and Casey were perfectly capable of handling the TE duties and we were told last year that Graham was the future of the TE position for the Texans. Daniels even gave his stamp of approval for the Graham pick. Well is he the future of the position or not? Dreesen and Casey can get the job done much cheaper and all those defensive FA's that everyone wants, well that money has to come from somewhere. Daniels represent 1 less defensive FA. We now have 5 TE's and no FS or SS.

If a a player is that great and can do the job for less, aren't they still going to want a raise sooner or later? Just a thought.

I'm going to disagree with the consensus opinion here, this is a terrible re-signing. Dreesen and Casey were perfectly capable of handling the TE duties and we were told last year that Graham was the future of the TE position for the Texans. Daniels even gave his stamp of approval for the Graham pick. Well is he the future of the position or not? Dreesen and Casey can get the job done much cheaper and all those defensive FA's that everyone wants, well that money has to come from somewhere. Daniels represent 1 less defensive FA. We now have 5 TE's and no FS or SS.

Let's see if you'll have the same opinion when OD goes to the Pro-Bowl next year. Seriously though, I understand where you're coming from but OD has an X factor that he brings that Dressen and Casey just don't have. Dressen made some big plays last season, but I think a fully healthy OD will stretch opposing defenses even more and he can make the spectacular and difficult plays. I do hope we get the defense fixed otherwise it'll be all for naught.

Let's see if you'll have the same opinion when OD goes to the Pro-Bowl next year. Seriously though, I understand where you're coming from but OD has an X factor that he brings that Dressen and Casey just don't have. Dressen made some big plays last season, but I think a fully healthy OD will stretch opposing defenses even more and he can make the spectacular and difficult plays. I do hope we get the defense fixed otherwise it'll be all for naught.

He stands just as good of a chance being on the IR list as he does going to the Pro Bowl. He's shredded the tendons in his knee 3-4 times now. How many times can you keep coming back on patchwork ACL's? Daniels is very good when healthy but so was Dreesen and for a whole lot less money. Just like the Colts finally cut Bob Sanders their Pro Bowl safety because he spent more time on IR than on the field, so should the Texans part ways with Daniels amicably and wish him well. Kubiak also said that Graham was the future of the TE position with the Texans, well is he or not. With only 6 mil. guaranteed I'm betting that Daniels will only be here 2 of those years but it's still a slap in the face to Dreesen for all his hard work the last 2 yrs. and to Graham, the future of the TE position.

He's shredded the tendons in his knee 3-4 times now. How many times can you keep coming back on patchwork ACL's?

This is his 3rd time. The prior two were on the other knee. He came back from one in HS and one in college.

Daniels is very good when healthy but so was Dreesen and for a whole lot less money.

Dreesen is decent but nothing close to OD.

Kubiak also said that Graham was the future of the TE position with the Texans, well is he or not.

Don't recall that at all but if he said anything close to that I am sure it was not in a context that implied OD was not in their plans.

He stands just as good of a chance being on the IR list as he does going to the Pro Bowl. He's shredded the tendons in his knee 3-4 times now. How many times can you keep coming back on patchwork ACL's? Daniels is very good when healthy but so was Dreesen and for a whole lot less money. Just like the Colts finally cut Bob Sanders their Pro Bowl safety because he spent more time on IR than on the field, so should the Texans part ways with Daniels amicably and wish him well. Kubiak also said that Graham was the future of the TE position with the Texans, well is he or not. With only 6 mil. guaranteed I'm betting that Daniels will only be here 2 of those years but it's still a slap in the face to Dreesen for all his hard work the last 2 yrs. and to Graham, the future of the TE position.

That's why this is a good deal for the Texans. OD has been injury prone, but when healthy he's an elite tight end. Dressen is a great backup and insurance policy.

6m guaranteed is pretty cheap either way you look at it..and if the Graham is Daniels 2.0, we shouldn't complain if proper utilized in a 2 TE set. Dressen and Daniels on the field would even give you two reliable TEs

Personally, I think we should make an attempt on possibly trading Dreessen.

If they think that Hill is going to be healthy and can contribute, then I would agree with you. But Dreesen plays a large role as a blocking TE.

If they think that Hill is going to be healthy and can contribute, then I would agree with you. But Dreesen plays a large role as a blocking TE.

True, but I also think OD's blocking abilty has been underrated in the past. Probably not quite up to Dreessen, but has gotten much better. But you're right, if Hill can't stay on the field Dreessen needs to stay. I was just thinking that Dreessen would yield the most in return if traded.

This is his 3rd time. The prior two were on the other knee. He came back from one in HS and one in college.

Dreesen is decent but nothing close to OD.

Don't recall that at all but if he said anything close to that I am sure it was not in a context that implied OD was not in their plans.

Piggy-backing here...

I don't get the injury prone assumption, especially when his career as a Texan were after his two injuries in HS and college.

And I'm thinking 'misremembered' about Kubiak saying that about OD, simply because this signing directly contradicts that kind of statement. Out-of-context, made up, misremembered, whatever, but I have no doubt that Gary did not say it.

Back