Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-03-2011   #1
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans reach deal with tight end Daniels

The Texans have reached a contract agreement with tight end Owen Daniels, a person familiar with the situation said Thursday. Tight end Owen Daniels and the Houston Texans agreed on a four-year, $22 million deal Thursday, two league sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...t/7455094.html

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6178148

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011   #2
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans reach deal with tight end Daniels

Sweet! This is the first time I broke a story on Texans Talk!

Old 03-03-2011   #3
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8734 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

good for you and the texans.
Old 03-03-2011   #4
IBleedTexans
Superbowl Bound

Rep Power: 3223 IBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
Sweet! This is the first time I broke a story on Texans Talk!
Funny thing is I just seen it on pft ad was about to post it. Good shat
IBleedTexans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011   #5
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34423 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

I did now it is a long term deal I thought it was going to be a one year thing.
Old 03-03-2011   #6
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 11791 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

I personally didnt want this to go down but I suppose worse things could happen. No doubt about it, hes a play maker and our PASSING offense is better when hes on the field. I just want him to stay 100% healthy and full speed the whole year to see what kind of numbers he can put up when hes firing on all cylinders.

We'll see how this shakes out....
Old 03-03-2011   #7
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 23300 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

Now everyone can quiet down.

This offense is nice, but it can't GO without Owen.
Old 03-03-2011   #8
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slik4u View Post
I personally didnt want this to go down but I suppose worse things could happen. No doubt about it, hes a play maker and our PASSING offense is better when hes on the field. I just want him to stay 100% healthy and full speed the whole year to see what kind of numbers he can put up when hes firing on all cylinders.

We'll see how this shakes out....
I'm here. I realize his importance. I think he is a great TE for the offense. I get a little worried with 4 year deals for a guy who has trouble staying on the field. He is a stud when healthy though.
Old 03-03-2011   #9
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 11791 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
I'm here. I realize his importance. I think he is a great TE for the offense. I get a little worried with 4 year deals for a guy who has trouble staying on the field. He is a stud when healthy though.
Yeah, Im just worried that he has had 3 major knee injuries. Thats just insane to me that one player can go through that and still be effective. I just know he's running out of "lives" and can't keep going at that rate.

Contrary to others beliefs, our offense is still extremely effective without OD. Not saying he doesnt matter, just saying we have so many offensive weapons that OD doesnt make or break our scheme.
Old 03-03-2011   #10
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 80044 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

I saw they resigned Ward too.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011   #11
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 84986 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
To this point I haven't seen a word about what sort of bonus was involved, and with the lack of guaranteed deals in the NFL (which isn't going to change as a result of any new CBA), the 4 year part of it could end up meaningless.

Regardless, very happy to see him back in the fold - I think it was important to keep him.
Old 03-03-2011   #12
Doppelganger
None

Remember though, this is the NFL. The contract is only as good as the guaranteed money. We know its not all guranteed, but if it was it would be about 5.5 mill per year. 4 years for 22 may only be around 10 or 15 in guaranteed money. So if it is a 3 year deal with 10-15 mill in guaranteed, we are spending 3.33-5.00 mill per year. Not bad considering:

Vernon Davis is ~$7.35 million per year, Antonio Gates is ~$7.235 million per year, and Dallas Clark is ~$6.96 million per year. I would be ok with playing OD something in the 3.33-5 mill per year. OD is as good if not better than all three and comes in 2 mill+ cheaper.

Old 03-03-2011   #13
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Congrats to OD! I reckon his injury saved the Texans some money. If he'd not gotten hurt it would've been almost impossible to sign him for this amount.

Now we need to get muh boy Leach locked up
Old 03-03-2011   #14
hookinreds
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5748 hookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respected

This is scary...we appear to be doing the right things today.
hookinreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011   #15
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Sooo, I guess we'll only be drafting 1 TE this year instead of 2?

Sorry, had to get the infamous TE joke in here
Old 03-03-2011   #16
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Sooo, I guess we'll only be drafting 1 TE this year instead of 2?

Sorry, had to get the infamous TE joke in here
Are you kidding? Some can be turned into O-lineman and DEs. 3 probably
Old 03-03-2011   #17
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Quote:
Are you kidding? Some can be turned into O-lineman and DEs. 3 probably
True, and WR's (see Dorin Dickerson)
Old 03-03-2011   #18
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 56461 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
According to JM, only $6 million is guaranteed, though. So, at most, the signing bonus is $6 million and it could be less.

So, if the Texans cut OD after 2012, the Texans would save about $4 million is salary for that season and be hit with a $3 million penalty... In other words, it is a very friendly contract for the Texans. Playing hardball with OD last season has really payed off for them!
Old 03-03-2011   #19
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14190 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
According to JM, only $6 million is guaranteed, though. So, at most, the signing bonus is $6 million and it could be less.

So, if the Texans cut OD after 2012, the Texans would save about $4 million is salary for that season and be hit with a $3 million penalty... In other words, it is a very friendly contract for the Texans. Playing hardball with OD last season has really payed off for them!
Bob Mcnair is cheap! Rick Smith is not doing his job!
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011   #20
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
Remember though, this is the NFL. The contract is only as good as the guaranteed money. We know its not all guranteed, but if it was it would be about 5.5 mill per year. 4 years for 22 may only be around 10 or 15 in guaranteed money. So if it is a 3 year deal with 10-15 mill in guaranteed, we are spending 3.33-5.00 mill per year. Not bad considering:

Vernon Davis is ~$7.35 million per year, Antonio Gates is ~$7.235 million per year, and Dallas Clark is ~$6.96 million per year. I would be ok with playing OD something in the 3.33-5 mill per year. OD is as good if not better than all three and comes in 2 mill+ cheaper.
Haha, let's not get ahead of ourselves just yet.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read