Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-03-2011   #21
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29411 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx
Default Re: Troy Nolan ?

Why they didnt sign OJ Atogwe is another example of the texans doing business as usual.
Old 03-03-2011   #22
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 55787 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
Why they didnt sign OJ Atogwe is another example of the texans doing business as usual.
Maybe Atogwe didn't want to come here?
Old 03-03-2011   #23
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29411 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
Maybe Atogwe didn't want to come here?
Maybe if the texans would show some real desire to upgrade the secondary vs going with what we got or the draft, they can land some of these guys cut loose. As soon as sanders and oj were released, the texans should have at least brought them
in and kicked the tires. Sanders and rogers on a 1 yr deal or atogwe for the 5 yr deal would have solidfied the texans secondary. Stroud as a 5 technique would have been better than antonio smith at that same position,but of course, its the texans.
Old 03-03-2011   #24
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 74660 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Maybe if the texans would show some real desire to upgrade the secondary vs going with what we got or the draft, they can land some of these guys cut loose. As soon as sanders and oj were released, the texans should have at least brought them
in and kicked the tires. Sanders and rogers on a 1 yr deal or atogwe for the 5 yr deal would have solidfied the texans secondary. Stroud as a 5 technique would have been better than antonio smith at that same position,but of course, its the texans.
So you want a guy who has played 3 games in 3 years to be your safety? Might as well kept Wilson. As for Rodgers, he is a quitter, was quitting on Rob Ryan in Cleveland and they ran a 3-4...

these players were released for a reason, just like Pollard was released for a reason and the Texans found out why this past season, 8 red zone TDs given up...

these players are not the answer to an already atrocious defense...

Ohhh, uh oh, it's Crapatrick!....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011   #25
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 128249 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So basically you think the Texans should bring in every cat that gets cut?
Old 03-04-2011   #26
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 55787 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Again, how do you know that they didn't contact the agents? Maybe they were told that there is no interest in playing for the Texans by these guys who have lots of teams to choose from?
Old 03-04-2011   #27
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 103388 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
I'd give Troy Nolan a shot at SS but he's most likely a backup at best. I'd give Barber his walking papers.

Remember the 2009 preseason when Kubiak told us that Barber was ready to be the starting SS, I said then that he was terrible and shouldn't be an NFL player. The Texans then picked up Bernard Pollard off the street 4 weeks into the season because Barber was terrible and yet Barber is still cashing an NFL paycheck 2 yrs. later after being replaced by a street level FA. This just shows that Kubiaks defensive talent evaluations skills suck.
Barber also contributed alot to ST too though. He surely isn't a starting safety, but he's likely still cashing an NFL paycheck b/c of ST so...
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-04-2011   #28
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 358082 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Stroud as a 5 technique would have been better than antonio smith at that same position,but of course, its the texans.
Yeah since the Texans didn't do it, it must be a bad decision. Smith was a far better player last year than Stroud.
Old 03-04-2011   #29
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Yeah since the Texans didn't do it, it must be a bad decision. Smith was a far better player last year than Stroud.
Not to mention Stroud was cut specifically because he didn't fit Buffalo's 3-4.
Old 03-04-2011   #30
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 219123 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

As time's gone on, things have gotten so confusing to me as to what type of personel this D is going to really require. I read reports that say that we are going to a 3-4. Then I read that we will be a "hybrid" 3-4. And then I read our 3-4 will be closer to a 4-3. If the FO is as confused as I am now, our draft and FA could look real strange.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011   #31
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
As time's gone on, things have gotten so confusing to me as to what type of personel this D is going to really require. I read reports that say that we are going to a 3-4. Then I read that we will be a "hybrid" 3-4. And then I read our 3-4 will be closer to a 4-3. If the FO is as confused as I am now, our draft and FA could look real strange.
There are different flavors of 3-4 with slightly different assignments and different approaches to doing things.

And I think it gets more complicated with Wade in the mix because I think what he does is he tries to get the best players he can and then he modifies his defense to take advantage of what they do best. If he's got a small NT, he uses that guy's strengths and asks him to do different things than when he has a big NT.

I think Wade thinks he can make a defense work with whatever he's given just like Kubiak thinks he can make an offense work with whatever he's given. So during the draft, I expect them to go more BPA than we've ever gone before because Wade sees each player as possible options to his defense rather than "I've got to have THIS guy and only THIS guy."

Or... I could be wrong.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011   #32
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 91652 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yeah, but just imagine how difficult it will be for our opponents to game plan for!
Old 03-04-2011   #33
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264941 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
... I expect them to go more BPA than we've ever gone before because Wade sees each player as possible options to his defense rather than "I've got to have THIS guy and only THIS guy."

Or... I could be wrong.
Other than Diles & Pollard you mean.

Old 03-04-2011   #34
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Other than Diles & Pollard you mean.

He saw them as options that he could easily and signficantly upgrade via FA or the draft.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011   #35
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 358082 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
There are different flavors of 3-4 with slightly different assignments and different approaches to doing things.

And I think it gets more complicated with Wade in the mix because I think what he does is he tries to get the best players he can and then he modifies his defense to take advantage of what they do best. If he's got a small NT, he uses that guy's strengths and asks him to do different things than when he has a big NT.

I think Wade thinks he can make a defense work with whatever he's given just like Kubiak thinks he can make an offense work with whatever he's given. So during the draft, I expect them to go more BPA than we've ever gone before because Wade sees each player as possible options to his defense rather than "I've got to have THIS guy and only THIS guy."

Or... I could be wrong.
I think you are spot on.
Old 03-04-2011   #36
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 128249 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Or... I could be wrong.
Good post, PN. I think that was a huge issue with Bush. He had an idea of having success of his scheme on paper, but his players didn't fit what he was wanting to do. I've said this a 100 times, but putting the players in the best position to succeed will make or break a coach.

Historically, Wade has had a huge impact on defenses in his 1st year with them and I can only assume ours will do the same. However, it ain't going to take much to make 2010's defense better.
Old 03-04-2011   #37
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 219123 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Or... I could be wrong.
Rep coming your way! BPA was going to be my guess with all the "nonspecifities." Get the best that's available out there.......then use some damn good glue. This approach will only work successfully, though, if it is not only applied to the Draft, but also to FA. The latter is where I'm most skeptical since it involves "bidding."
Old 03-04-2011   #38
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Rep coming your way! BPA was going to be my guess with all the "nonspecifities." Get the best that's available out there.......then use some damn good glue. This approach will only work successfully, though, if it is not only applied to the Draft, but also to FA. The latter is where I'm most skeptical since it involves "bidding."
so by his logic if Julio Jones is on the board #11 Texans take him because he is BPA?

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011   #39
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
so by his logic if Julio Jones is on the board #11 Texans take him because he is BPA?
I wouldn't necessarily be disappointed with that pick. But I have the feeling that BPA for the Texans will mean defensive BPA.
Old 03-04-2011   #40
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I wouldn't necessarily be disappointed with that pick. But I have the feeling that BPA for the Texans will mean defensive BPA.
then its not truly BPA

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read