Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-03-2011   #1
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Troy Nolan ?

What is your opinion of Troy Nolan? Is he a starter? Is he a FS/SS? Can he be easily beat out by a 3rd round rookie?

Same questions for Barber?

What do you think our safety needs are?
Old 03-03-2011   #2
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Troy Nolan ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
What is your opinion of Troy Nolan? Is he a starter? Is he a FS/SS? Can he be easily beat out by a 3rd round rookie?

Same questions for Barber?

What do you think our safety needs are?
I think Nolan can be a solid back up at both Safety positions and a good special teams guy. That's based on my impression of him last year.

I think that he can progress into a good starter, but I think he needs to refine his game.

I don't even think Barber should be on the team. I do not think he's an NFL player. JMO.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011   #3
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I think Nolan can be a solid back up at both Safety positions and a good special teams guy. That's based on my impression of him last year.

I think that he can progress into a good starter, but I think he needs to refine his game.

I don't even think Barber should be on the team. I do not think he's an NFL player. JMO.
Same thinking here.
If Nolan can get the mental part of the game straight, he can be a starter.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011   #4
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 143551 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

I expected Nolan to step up and take the FS spot from Wilson last year and I was really let down that he didn't do it.

Other than that, I agree with Rey and 76Texan. Nolan is good on ST and he should fight for one safety spot.

It's going to be interesting to see what kinds of guys we get to play safety and whether they perform better under Phillips. What am I saying? They'd pretty much HAVE to perform better than what we've had in the past.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011   #5
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I expected Nolan to step up and take the FS spot from Wilson last year and I was really let down that he didn't do it.

Other than that, I agree with Rey and 76Texan. Nolan is good on ST and he should fight for one safety spot.

It's going to be interesting to see what kinds of guys we get to play safety and whether they perform better under Phillips. What am I saying? They'd pretty much HAVE to perform better than what we've had in the past.
That won't be hard to do, LOL!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011   #6
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1964 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

I think our starting safeties are going to Quin at FS and Nolan at SS, at least that appears to be the depth chart right now.

When FA starts time to get real busy.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011   #7
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30803 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Allen might be one starting conerback but I am not sure who the other coner would be unless the sign a free agent to start.
Sponsored links
Old 03-03-2011   #8
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2888 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Same thinking here.
If Nolan can get the mental part of the game straight, he can be a starter.
Based off what the coaching staff thought of him at the start of training camp in 2010, that was one of his better qualities. I remember the staff saying that for Nolan to have been out on IR all of 2009, they were impressed that he had been in his playbook and was farther along than the staff anticipated. Anyone else recall that?
alphajoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011   #9
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexMexVato View Post
Based off what the coaching staff thought of him at the start of training camp in 2010, that was one of his better qualities. I remember the staff saying that for Nolan to have been out on IR all of 2009, they were impressed that he had been in his playbook and was farther along than the staff anticipated. Anyone else recall that?
I recall that.

To me, the thing with Nolan is consistency. & that comes from being on the field, and recognizing/trusting what you see.

Last season was his rookie year (basically) the biggest jump should be in year two. Hopefully we'll have coaches, that can make that happen.

But I think he's more SS than FS, he looked better (I thought) when he subbed for Pollard.

Albeit only one game.
Old 03-03-2011   #10
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexMexVato View Post
I think that knowing the plays and being strong mentally are two different things. There are lots of guys who know the plays, but it's their mental preperation that allows them to anticipate things come game time.

Taking gambles vs taking smart/calculated gambles...I think that is an area that Troy can improve on.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011   #11
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 32050 dc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
I think our starting safeties are going to Quin at FS and Nolan at SS, at least that appears to be the depth chart right now.

When FA starts time to get real busy.
With us not re-signing Pollard you might be right about Quin to safety but I just don't see it happening. Quin was our best CB last year and the only guy on the team that actually looked like an NFL caliber corner last year. Unless we make a big splash in FA I'm banking on Quin staying at CB next season.
Old 03-03-2011   #12
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 33104 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Nolan is your new SS and Quinn is your new FS....

That leaves, and I dare say, Allen, Jackson as the starters if the season started today...

Ohhh, uh oh, it's FitzMagic....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011   #13
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 143551 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
Nolan is your new SS and Quinn is your new FS....

That leaves, and I dare say, Allen, Jackson as the starters if the season started today...
And isn't Allen a FA?
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011   #14
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144827 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

They dont have much at Safety .... Maybe Quin is moved but that means you absolutely must find two more corners who can contribute more than just falling down.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011   #15
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87576 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I agree with your post. Hopefully, we will draft a FS to start.
Old 03-03-2011   #16
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 63790 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Everyone has the raiders games in their heads when they talk about this kid, but i just don't trust him yet. I'd be much more comfortable if we pulled a vet from another team. He can sub in with the vet while learning the game & hopefully make enough plays to force his way into the line-up.

After last year's debacle, noone back there should be handed a starting job. Those dudes need to hit camp thinking they could be on the street if they don't perform up to standards.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011   #17
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30803 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Move Quin to FS and Nolan to SS and that would leave Jackson and Allen at CB. Not sure about those at CB.
Old 03-03-2011   #18
texanchris
Veteran

Rep Power: 3782 texanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respected

I would rather leave are best cornerback at corner and just draft or sign a safety rather than switch Quinn to FS. As for Nolan, as much as i want him to succeed and be a starter, i think he is a back up and special teams sort of guy.
texanchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011   #19
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 44018 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
And isn't Allen a FA?
yeah. i have not heard one thing about him since the season ended. its a shame cause he was easily the best CB we had last season.
Old 03-03-2011   #20
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18476 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd give Troy Nolan a shot at SS but he's most likely a backup at best. I'd give Barber his walking papers.

Remember the 2009 preseason when Kubiak told us that Barber was ready to be the starting SS, I said then that he was terrible and shouldn't be an NFL player. The Texans then picked up Bernard Pollard off the street 4 weeks into the season because Barber was terrible and yet Barber is still cashing an NFL paycheck 2 yrs. later after being replaced by a street level FA. This just shows that Kubiaks defensive talent evaluations skills suck.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read