Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 03-03-2011   #1
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Donte Whitner SS Bills

It's my understanding that this SS is available? So with Pollard not being tendered, and if the rumor of Quinn going to FS is true, is Donte Whitner a good option as free agent pick up?

I also saw that RB Quinton Ganther didn't get tendered either. That would be a nice pick up too.

Last edited by El Tejano; 03-03-2011 at 08:00 AM.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011   #2
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22721 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Where are all of these Quin to FS rumors coming from? The only place I've heard this is on these forums.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011   #3
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 62987 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Donte Whitner SS Bills

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post
Where are all of these Quin to FS rumors coming from? The only place I've heard this is on these forums.
From Kubiak...

Quote:
Texans CB Glover Quin could be in the mix at free safety next season, head coach Gary Kubiak said at the NFL Scouting Combine.
LINK
Old 03-03-2011   #4
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Whitner should be in his prime and would be a good pick up. He would provide vet leadership on the back end that was sorely lacking and be a big upgrade over Pollard in coverage.

Whitner is injury prone though and a S like Lefeged should be drafted in the 3-5 rd range. Whatever S that is drafted would have to be a really good ST guy while he's learning the ropes. Whitner's would help Quin and said draft pick with his experience. It would be scary (shade of last yr) to go into next season with Quin and a drafted S as the last line of defense. Neither one of them will have played a down of S in the NFL.

This is why I'm for signing Whitner and a vet CB in FA. Hopefully BoB will spend the $$$$ on a couple of vet FA DB's. So we as fans will not have to suffer through another season like last yr. However I will have to see BoB step up to the plate before I will believe it.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011   #5
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 104376 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

I've had my eye on Whitner. I think he'd be much better than the crap we last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011   #6
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22721 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
From Kubiak...

LINK
Cool! Thanks for the link.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011   #7
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 76577 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
From Kubiak...

LINK
Thanks. Good read. This last pargraph left me puzzeled. Wouldn't we know by the combine if BP was coming back, or not?

The Texans also have a decision to make on SS Bernard Pollard, who's slated to be an unrestricted free agent. Kubiak said that re-signing Pollard was "very important" but also noted: "All the guys right now that would be considered free agents are very important to our football team. But there is so much work that needs to be done between now and then, so we'll see."

Is this what we call 'Coach Speak'? Wouldn't management perhaps had a chat about that before the road trip? Or is that just too harsh?

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-04-2011   #8
Mari-OWNED!
Bucco Bruce

Rep Power: 4281 Mari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respected

Whitner and Pollard are the EXACT SAME player. Great at stopping the run, absolutely terrible in pass coverage.

Tomato-Tomahto.
Mari-OWNED! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011   #9
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari-OWNED! View Post
Whitner and Pollard are the EXACT SAME player. Great at stopping the run, absolutely terrible in pass coverage.

Tomato-Tomahto.
This is what I was looking for.
Old 03-04-2011   #10
toronto
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69048 toronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respected

Whitner is barely average. Don't waste your money.

Follow me @blakegk on twitter...the entertainment never stops...
toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011   #11
Section516 
Warrior

Rep Power: 7822 Section516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respected

Eric Weddle is who the "pros" are pegging us as taking a good, long look at.
Old 03-04-2011   #12
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section516 View Post
I really hope so. I'd take that. It would be a solid upgrade.
Old 03-04-2011   #13
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Weddle would be a big get for us. Very solid upgrade.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011   #14
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Weddle would be a big get for us. Very solid upgrade.
does your eye tell you Kubiak could be having Lynch flashback in regards to Weddle? If so I would say it's a done deal he'll be a Texan.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011   #15
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
does your eye tell you Kubiak could be having Lynch flashback in regards to Weddle? If so I would say it's a done deal he'll be a Texan.
I would love to get him, but why would he or any other highly sought after FA want to come to Htown? I he from the area? No. He is from Cali. He has been in SD, who are notorious for slow starts and then furious finishes. Does he want to come to another team that starts out slow and then has a furious finish but is in a much tougher division? Houston is not a perennial playoff or Superbowl contender, so we cannot sell him on that.

I hope I am wrong, but outside of giving a high level FA a blank check, I don't see any of them wanting to come here. I can see Htown over paying for a mid level FA but Weddle is the top Saftey FA. As much as I would love for it to happen. I don't see it.

So, go ahead and prove me wrong Rick Smith. And when you do I will change my avatar to a Rick Smith one for a whole week.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011   #16
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm with Doppelganger. I would love for this to happen. I don't think we will get him, but I don't think it will be from lack of effort.

The Texans just aren't a desired destination for the top free agents.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011   #17
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 48117 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari-OWNED! View Post

Tomato-Tomahto.
I disagree. They do have a similar skill set. So, yes, Whitner will struggle in pass coverage. However, Whitner plays the ball better, I think. Also, part of Pollard's problem was his inability or unwillingness to play his assignment. Multiple times, he would just vacate his zone inexplicably.

I'd rather get Eric Weddle, for instance. But, I would be happy with Whitner as well.
Old 05-03-2011   #18
Lucky

Rep Power: 120321 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Bills GM Buddy Nix admits that Whitner is a goner:

Quote:
“Donte Whitner I don’t think wants to be here, and he probably won’t,” Nix said.
I think the comparisons of Whitner to Pollard are off. One, Whitner hasn't come up with the impact plays that Pollard has. Two, Whiter has played on one of the better pass defenses in the NFL. Whitner is more of a solid player without flash. Certainly overdrafted at #8 overall in 2006. But, a serviceable NFL safety. Looks like someone the Texans would make a run at.

Pollard gets a lot of bashing here, and somewhat deservingly. Did he bust assignments? Probably. But, he also made plays. And while the other Texans DBs get the benefit of the doubt that improved coaching will raise their level of play (see: Jackson, Kareem), Pollard is deemed hopeless. I look back at the 2009 Pollard (when he didn't go through Texans training camps or mini camps), and he was one of the best players on the team. A "coached up" 2010 Pollard was much worse. Why couldn't Bernard improve under Wade Phillips and staff?
Old 05-03-2011   #19
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171407 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Bills GM Buddy Nix admits that Whitner is a goner:

I think the comparisons of Whitner to Pollard are off. One, Whitner hasn't come up with the impact plays that Pollard has. Two, Whiter has played on one of the better pass defenses in the NFL. Whitner is more of a solid player without flash. Certainly overdrafted at #8 overall in 2006. But, a serviceable NFL safety. Looks like someone the Texans would make a run at.

Pollard gets a lot of bashing here, and somewhat deservingly. Did he bust assignments? Probably. But, he also made plays. And while the other Texans DBs get the benefit of the doubt that improved coaching will raise their level of play (see: Jackson, Kareem), Pollard is deemed hopeless. I look back at the 2009 Pollard (when he didn't go through Texans training camps or mini camps), and he was one of the best players on the team. A "coached up" 2010 Pollard was much worse. Why couldn't Bernard improve under Wade Phillips and staff?
I've been asking myself this same question. Why not at least bring him into camp (if there is one) and see if there is a change, before making a final decision. With this approach not being entertained, I get the feeling there could be another underlying reason for the Texans not extending any offer to doing so........maybe, he spilled a protein shake on Kubiak's wife's dress.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011   #20
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 45929 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

"Tarvaris Jackson and CB DeAndre Wright have to assume their time in Minnesota is done with, given that the team gave away the numbers they had at the end of last season. Christian Ponder has been given T-Jack’s No. 7 and rookie defensive back Mistral Raymond was given Wright’s No. 30"

http://min.scout.com/2/1069911.html

Ya think?

Is Wright worth taking a look ?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read