Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 03-02-2011   #1
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Question about the Players and the lockout...

Serious question...

What is to keep the players from starting their own league?

They are pretty much the product...They have resources...I'm pretty sure they could get someone rich to back them...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011   #2
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171407 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Question about the Players and the lockout...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Serious question...

They are pretty much the product...They have resources...I'm pretty sure they could get someone rich to back them...

Do you remember the XFL? McMahon bank rolled what ended up one holy mess. Stadium deals? It's the LOGISTICS that have killed all other upstart attempts. Each step of the way, the new League would have to fight the undermining influences of the THE NFL. A move like this would be tied up in courts forever. Remember, other upstarts were occurring WHILE the NFL was functioning well and making lots of money. They were seen more as a distraction than a true long term viable alternative. In a case of trying to do so while the NFL is being squeezed and LOSING MONEY, the owners will be out for blood like angry bees swarming following someone messing with their nests............while the players and their backers are covered with layers of honey.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011   #3
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Do you remember the XFL? McMahon bank rolled what ended up one holy mess. Stadium deals? It's the LOGISTICS that have killed all other upstart attempts. Each step of the way, the new League would have to fight the undermining influences of the THE NFL. A move like this would be tied up in courts forever. Remember, other upstarts were occurring WHILE the NFL was functioning well and making lots of money. They were seen more as a distraction than a true long term viable alternative. In a case of trying to do so while the NFL is being squeezed and LOSING MONEY, the owners will be out for blood like angry bees swarming following someone messing with their nests............while the players and their backers are covered with layers of honey.
The XFL was actually a league that I actually thought of....They didn't have a lot of talent in that league...Well at least not comparatively speaking...

I think that the players are basically the product. They are the names. I don't care if Bob McNair owns the team or if Kubiak is coaching it. If he's playing against Ray Lewis and Ed Reed, I want to watch the game...

Imagine if they said they were going to redraft the league...The City got to choose which one player they want to keep. The draft order would be as it is now. What football fan would not salivate at the possibilities???

Now the court stuff...That is something I don't know about. But I imagine that the players could really put pressure on the owners if they presented this option...
Old 03-11-2011   #4
Rey
Hall of Fame

Ahem....
Old 03-11-2011   #5
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 282778 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Serious question...

yep. IMO, the players are the product. It would take some bold moves, but I have little doubt that fans would watch it.

We don't tune in / show up to see rich old white men eating caviar with ex-presidents, 'eh?

Maybe the Chinese will invest!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
All true...but I also know the history of the Americal Football League...
Old 03-11-2011   #6
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 33629 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

My question is who is going to fund it and pay the rank & file, much less the stadiums and support personnel. Who is going to pay the insurance and doctor's and refs?

Ya think the richer players are going to pay?

You think Peyton and Brees and Brady are going to give up a bunch of their savings to make this work?
Old 03-11-2011   #7
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 282778 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Nah, it's all wishful thinking and bitching about things that we are powerless to influence. You know, just like politics! Which is another reason this whole thing stinks!
Old 03-11-2011   #8
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 111743 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
My question is who is going to fund it and pay the rank & file, much less the stadiums and support personnel. Who is going to pay the insurance and doctor's and refs?

You think Peyton and Brees and Brady are going to give up a bunch of their savings to make this work?
/end of story.
Old 03-11-2011   #9
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 33629 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Nah, it's all wishful thinking and bitching about things that we are powerless to influence. You know, just like politics! Which is another reason this whole thing stinks!
Like I said in another post somewhere, it's the fans that get the shaft
Old 03-11-2011   #10
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post

What kind of system did they have for the XFL?

They were pretty much a joke leauge, but I know some people that used to like to watch the games. Their presentation was pretty good and they found good enough venues.

Maybe one person wouldn't be able to entirely fund it, but I do believe that if the players were to make a bold move and go for it they could manage to put it together.

As far as who is paying those fees and putting up the monetary resources...Well...That'd be the same folks that are putting up the money right now....

Us...

The players could make money from it without even playing a game...

If they were to re-draft the leauge and have it like a draft show, they could get some decent commercial endorsements for just that...And it'd take a while to get it done...50+ picks....

I'd probably be interested in every last round...

And I know it's a crazy idea, but I'm just saying that financial backing shouldn't really be a problem once they got the ball rolling...

They'd just be changing who was in charge...The money would still come in from the fans....
Old 03-11-2011   #11
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 62987 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Half (give or take) of the NFL revenue stream comes from the television contracts. Considering ESPN, Fox, CBS, NBC and ABC (via ESPN) aren't going to mess with the NFL, it's gonna be really difficult to find anyone who's willing to put a meaningful amount of cash into something like this when best case scenario is a TV contract with Versus or TNT or the SyFy channel.

Next, consider the fact that even the AFL was only 8 teams when it started, and of the UFL, XFL, USFL, WFL, or any other league you care to name, none of them began with more than a dozen. To hope to have anything larger than that ready to roll out before the NFL gets things settled is a pipe dream. Let's say they get it off the ground with a dozen teams. There's 18 cities right off the bat that still don't have football (and that's assuming 2 of the 12 teams are in NY and the SF Bay area). Seriously, how much are you going to care about the Miami Sharks vs. The New York Emperors if Houston doesn't have a team? How much are you going to care about it if Houston does have a team? One more thing - even if against all odds, somebody were to get something like this off the ground, their investment will pretty much become worthless the moment the NFL starts playing football again.

As much as I've got to believe almost everyone on this board loves football, how much did you actually watch the UFL? Arena League? XFL? Granted, to some extent, the players are the product, but it's already been pointed out the high profile players aren't going to jump on board anyway, and there's a good chance that given the circumstances, the interest from current NFL players will start at the bottom of the proverbial NFL talent barrel, and work it's way up over time - meaning you've got to have that time (see last sentence of previous paragraph).

And it's only partially true that the players are the product. How many times have I heard the Texans and the NFL described on this board as a marketing machine first, and anything and everything else second. That my friend indicates why I believe that you call it anything other than the NFL, and you've lost a decent size chunk of the NFL fan base. May not be right, but I believe it's true.

Last edited by ChampionTexan; 03-12-2011 at 09:16 PM.
ChampionTexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read