Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 03-02-2011   #1
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Walterfootball Mock...Texans Fan.

I know there's an old Walterfootball thread somewhere but it's just that, an old thread. Walter must be a Texans fan cause he did great for us.

1. Robert Quinn-OLB
2. Brandon Harris-CB
3. Jerrell Powe-NT
4. Deunta Williams-FS
5. Joe Lefeged-S
6. Steven Friday-OLB

I think this draft would take some luck in the 2nd and 4th rounds but if our draft fell like this I'd be thrilled.

Last edited by Wolf6151; 03-03-2011 at 02:57 AM.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011   #2
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90711 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Walterfootball Mock...Texans Fan.

This would be awesome, I don't think his round projections will be right though.
Old 03-02-2011   #3
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

If I was going to Cherry pick this is what I would tentatively do.

1. Walter: Robert Quinn-OLB
Dopp:J.J. Watt, DE Wisconsin. Quinn is a one year wonder. Watt provides
pressure from the DE spot.

2. Walter: Brandon Harris-CB
Dopp:Brooks Reed, OLB, Arizona. I like Harris, but Reed is a very good
OLB and provides additional pressure. Having a front 7 that includes
Watt, Mario, Barwin, Meco, Cush, and Reed is a very stout group and will
be able to put pressure on the QB, tackle, and defend the run.

3. Jerrell Powe-NT
Dopp: Rashad Carmichael, CB, Virginia Tech. Powe is a bad fit for Wade's
3-4. Carmichael is a solid CB prospect.

4. Deunta Williams-FS
Dopp:Nothing wrong with Williams, a solid pick.

5. Joe Lefeged-S
Dopp:Ian Williams, DT, Notre Dame.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011   #4
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post

1. Robert Quinn-OLB
2. Brandon Harris-CB
3. Jerrell Powe-NT
4. Deunta Williams-FS
5. Joe Lefeged-S
Cherry Pick.

Keeping Robert Quinn, OLB, North Carolina
Keeping Brandon Harris, CB, Miami
Greg Jones, LB, Michigan State
Keeping Deunta Williams, FS, North Carolina
Ian Williams, DT, Notre Dame
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011   #5
Ndevine7
All Pro

Rep Power: 273 Ndevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
Cherry Pick.

Keeping Robert Quinn, OLB, North Carolina
Keeping Brandon Harris, CB, Miami
Greg Jones, LB, Michigan State
Keeping Deunta Williams, FS, North Carolina
Ian Williams, DT, Notre Dame
Really like this if it could happen. Quinn is a top 5 prospect IMO if he played his senior year and Harris is a very good CB just is not as good as the top 3 in this draft who are all very special talents.
Old 03-02-2011   #6
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
If I was going to Cherry pick this is what I would tentatively do.

1. Walter: Robert Quinn-OLB
Dopp:J.J. Watt, DE Wisconsin. Quinn is a one year wonder. Watt provides
pressure from the DE spot.

2. Walter: Brandon Harris-CB
Dopp:Brooks Reed, OLB, Arizona. I like Harris, but Reed is a very good
OLB and provides additional pressure. Having a front 7 that includes
Watt, Mario, Barwin, Meco, Cush, and Reed is a very stout group and will
be able to put pressure on the QB, tackle, and defend the run.

3. Jerrell Powe-NT

4. Deunta Williams-FS
Dopp:Nothing wrong with Williams, a solid pick.

5. Joe Lefeged-S
Dopp:Ian Williams, DT, Notre Dame.

Dopp, while your mock is good your 1st pick J.J. Watt is a bad pick for the Texans. Watt won't provide any QB pressure from the bench because he'd be behind Antonio Smith and Mario Williams. Mario is a probowler and Antonio was our best/consistent DE last year and has experience in the 3-4 system. I'd like to have Watt on the Texans as well but ......
Old 03-02-2011   #7
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Dopp, while your mock is good your 1st pick J.J. Watt is a bad pick for the Texans. Watt won't provide any QB pressure from the bench because he'd be behind Antonio Smith and Mario Williams. Mario is a probowler and Antonio was our best/consistent DE last year and has experience in the 3-4 system. I'd like to have Watt on the Texans as well but ......
Wolf,
Thanks for liking my cherry pick. Yes, you are right that Mario and Smith are already here. That said, I think you gotta go BPA. In my mind that is Watt. Wade is a good coach and he will (hopefully) get the best players onto the field.

A lot of people have been seeing Watt's nonstop motor and pass rushing ability. However nobody talks about his run stopping, which is very solid. He is able to bat down passes, can block kicks, has a mean streak, can control the line of scrimmage, can take on double teams, sheds blocks, and can slip gaps. Call me crazy, but you know what all of that sounds like to me? A Wade Phillps type of NT. Think about it, he will be essentially playing 1 gap, so he will be slipping up a gap, or occupying double teams. I honestly think he could be really good at that. We could even rotate him around the DL and let him play DE on some plays and NT on others. Having someone like him is a matchup disaster waiting to happen.

He is a super hard worker so he will be welcome on a team of hard workers like AJ, Foster, Meco, Mario, and Cush.

Plus, he has that one intangible that Kubes likes in a player: he was a former Tight end!

Sponsored links
Old 03-02-2011   #8
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Watt is above average pass rusher while Camron has been called unblockable. I could live w/either player

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011   #9
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 179094 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Watt is above average pass rusher while Camron has been called unblockable. I could live w/either player
Quinn and Aldon Smith are going for the curtain instead of taking the new car .
Old 03-02-2011   #10
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 234681 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
I know there's an old Walterfootball thread somewhere but it's just that, an old thread. Walter must be a Texans fan cause he did great for us.

1. Robert Quinn-OLB
2. Brandon Harris-CB
3. Jerrell Powe-NT
4. Deunta Williams-FS
5. Joe Lefeged-S

I think this draft would take some luck in the 2nd and 4th rounds but if our draft fell like this I'd be thrilled.
That would be sweet.
Old 03-02-2011   #11
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 234681 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:

3. Jerrell Powe-NT
Just curious.... not passing any judgement or anything.... but, do you think McCain is done?

CB is a tough position to learn at this level. McCain looked promising his rookie season. There were issues (putting it mildly) his sophomore season.

But we didn't like his coaches.

Do you think McCain & McManis are lost causes?
Old 03-02-2011   #12
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72205 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Just curious.... not passing any judgement or anything.... but, do you think McCain is done?

CB is a tough position to learn at this level. McCain looked promising his rookie season. There were issues (putting it mildly) his sophomore season.

I'll give my two cents on this:

I think Molden is a lost cause and if we draft or sign a CB he is the one to go.

I'm a big fan of McManis. I think he certainly has potential.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011   #13
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Walter added a 6th round and has the Texans taking Steven Friday-DE/OLB from Virginia Tech.
Old 03-03-2011   #14
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think we could end up with a DE for two reasons: first it might be BPA and second we have zero depth at the position. If Jordan or Watt were our first round pick and we could grab Brooks Reid in the second I would be very happy. Also, grabbing a DE could give us some flexibility in how we use MW. It would also protect us against injury.
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011   #15
Doppelganger
None

Quote:
Walter added a 6th round and has the Texans taking Steven Friday-DE/OLB from Virginia Tech.
He has been my 5th round sleeper for weeks. Good to see Walter agree with me!

Old 03-03-2011   #16
Doppelganger
None

Quote:

Not necessarily but Moulden is. Our CB situation was atrocious last year. It was so bad that so many combinations of corner back were tried. I don't recall Moulden getting a shot out there. So, after 3 years, and on the worst Defense of the modern era you STILL can't get a sniff, that means you are not a player.

McCain I will give a pass to since he had a great rookie year and is only finished his second year. McManis was a rook. Moulden finished his fourth year and is going into his fifth. If he had it, he would have shown it last year.

Old 03-03-2011   #17
Doppelganger
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
What do you think of Watt's run stopping ability? Do you think he could potentially play NT in a Wade Phillips D? I think he is strong, fast, and has the right kind of skill set/attitude to be able to do it.

Old 03-03-2011   #18
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What do you think of Watt's run stopping ability? Do you think he could potentially play NT in a Wade Phillips D? I think he is strong, fast, and has the right kind of skill set/attitude to be able to do it.
you might slide him over in pass rushing downs or four man fronts. I see no flaws in his tackling technique its just that he is hell bent for the election after the QB.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011   #19
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I don't think so, given that everyone regressed in secondary, I think it points to coaching. Get a guy thinking too much instead of reacting and bad things happen. Hopefully, the 2 Mc's turn it around this season. It would certainly help our defensive turnaround
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011   #20
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

From what I'm reading Cameron Jordan kind of reminds me of Antonio Smith (who I like). Is this a fair assumption or am I off base? Primary DE that can be moved inside in some passrushing situations.

Think of this in pure pass rushing downs:

Mario Williams - Cameron Jordan - Antonio Smith - Connor Barwin

With Cushing possibly blitzing. Demeco spying the QB. Asomugha covering the entire right side of the field and then Quin, Jackson, Rookie 2nd round Safety and either Allen or Nolan covering the other side of the field.

WOW!
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read