Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-01-2011   #1
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans open talks with players with expiring

Texans general manager Rick Smith met with Ralph Vitolo, the agent for fullback Vonta Leach, at the Indianapolis scouting combine, but no deal was done.

Leach, who underwent arthroscopic knee surgery after playing in the Pro Bowl last month, said he's hopeful a deal can be reached before the current collective bargaining agreement expires Thursday at 11:59 p.m.

"I'm hoping we can get something done because I want to return, but if we can't, I'll test the market when (free agency) begins," Leach said. "I think we're on the verge of something special. We're only a couple of players away, and I want to be here when we finally turn it around."

Leach said his knee "feels great" and he's been working out regularly while waiting to see what's going to happen between the players and owners this week.

The Texans have spoken to and will speak to the agents for many of their players who are scheduled to be restricted or unrestricted free agents on Friday. If there’s no CBA, players won’t be able to sign or re-sign until a new agreement is reached.

Besides Leach, some of the Texans’ most prominent players whose contracts expire are defensive tackle Shaun Cody, tight end Owen Daniels, strong safety Bernard Pollard, linebacker Zach Diles, receiver Jacoby Jones, offensive tackle Rashad Butler, defensive end Mark Anderson, quarterback Matt Leinart, running back Derrick Ward and punt Matt Turk.

Running back Arian Foster is a two-year veteran who’s an exclusive rights player unable to sign with another team.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...t/7450725.html
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011   #2
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans open talks with players with expiring

Vonta Leach KEEPER a must
Shaun Cody let go
Owen Daniels let market be made
Bernard Pollard need to upgrade this position
Zach Diles let go
Jacoby Jones depends on price need a consistant #2 WR
Rashad Butler Keeper
Mark Anderson Keeper
Matt Leinart Keeper
Derrick Ward Keeper if price is right
Matt Turk let go
Old 03-01-2011   #3
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by srrono View Post
Shaun Cody let go
Zach Diles let go
Rashad Butler Keeper
Mark Anderson Keeper
Matt Leinart Keeper
Matt Turk let go
That makes a lot of sense .... let the guy who was your most consistant player on the DL walk. The Texans are loaded at the position , we dont need him ....

:saracasm:

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011   #4
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 151960 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
That makes a lot of sense .... let the guy who was your most consistant player on the DL walk. The Texans are loaded at the position , we dont need him ....

As in the way you and Bill are at the club ?
Old 03-01-2011   #5
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 211500 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
"I'm hoping we can get something done because I want to return, but if we can't, I'll test the market when (free agency) begins," Leach said. "I think we're on the verge of something special. We're only a couple of players away, and I want to be here when we finally turn it around."
What a maroon..... he obviously don't visit these boards.
Old 03-01-2011   #6
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33836 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Quote:
Shaun Cody let go
Zach Diles let go
Rashad Butler Keeper
Mark Anderson Keeper
Matt Leinart Keeper
Matt Turk let go
Leinat is probably going to walk because he probably won't ever see the football field here.
Old 03-01-2011   #7
srrono
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post

Codys 2 sacks in 6 years must be KEEPER material for you I am thinking we can keep Mark Anderson 25.5 sacks in 6 years and 4 sacks with the texans thats double YOUR BOY CODYS HAD HIS WHOLE CAREER! I guess I am wrong lets lose Anderson and keep Cody.
Sponsored links
Old 03-01-2011   #8
srrono
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
Leinat is probably going to walk because he probably won't ever see the football field here.
yeah I think Lienart is going to test the market but he wants to start but no ones going to give him a starting job out right so I think we may have the inside track to get him back. he isnt a great QB but at least he has starting exp if Schaub gets hurt. I would rather have Wallace as a back up QB but may be to expensive.
Old 03-01-2011   #9
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Codys 2 sacks in 6 years must be KEEPER material for you I am thinking we can keep Mark Anderson 25.5 sacks in 6 years and 4 sacks with the texans thats double YOUR BOY CODYS HAD HIS WHOLE CAREER! I guess I am wrong lets lose Anderson and keep Cody.
Well, it shows that you are comparing apples to oranges, but honestly both are JAGs. I don't have a strong feeling about either staying or going, since neither is really a true difference maker.
Old 03-01-2011   #10
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Cody and Anderson don't play the same position in either the 4-3 or 3-4. It really isn't an either or proposition.
Old 03-01-2011   #11
srrono
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Cody and Anderson don't play the same position in either the 4-3 or 3-4. It really isn't an either or proposition.
They get a paycheck from the same place right? Some times you have to let some go to pay others. I am not sating anderson is a must have if we can improve on him then im all for it I just would rather have anderson over cody.
Old 03-01-2011   #12
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
They get a paycheck from the same place right? Some times you have to let some go to pay others. I am not sating anderson is a must have if we can improve on him then im all for it I just would rather have anderson over cody.
They are both at or near league minimum players. The bigger issue with guys like that isn't the money but the roster spot.
Old 03-01-2011   #13
scourge 
Digression King

Rep Power: 3215 scourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I like your logic.

If in free agency the Vikings were having to make a decision between Brian Robison(DE) and Kevin Williams(DT), they should obviously let Kevin walk. This is obvious due to him only having 5 sacks in the last 4 years, whereas Brian had 13 1/2. They both get a paycheck from the same place...

Quote:
"He who makes a beast out of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." - Samuel Johnson
scourge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011   #14
Esoom
Veteran

Section: 631
Rep Power: 256 Esoom is a quality contributor and well respectedEsoom is a quality contributor and well respectedEsoom is a quality contributor and well respectedEsoom is a quality contributor and well respectedEsoom is a quality contributor and well respectedEsoom is a quality contributor and well respectedEsoom is a quality contributor and well respectedEsoom is a quality contributor and well respectedEsoom is a quality contributor and well respectedEsoom is a quality contributor and well respectedEsoom is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You know that sacks aren't the only way of judging defensive linemen right?
Old 03-01-2011   #15
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 50432 dc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respected

Sometimes I wonder if people realize there is more to playing Dline than just sack totals.
Old 03-01-2011   #16
MightyTExan
It's go time!

Rep Power: 19458 MightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respected

Worst defense in NFL history-everyone needs to be replaced.
MightyTExan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011   #17
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 13034 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyTExan View Post
False, we had the worst defense in NFL history a few years ago, I vaguely recall a player dubbed P-burnt
Old 03-01-2011   #18
Esoom
Veteran

Section: 631
Rep Power: 256 Esoom is a quality contributor and well respectedEsoom is a quality contributor and well respectedEsoom is a quality contributor and well respectedEsoom is a quality contributor and well respectedEsoom is a quality contributor and well respectedEsoom is a quality contributor and well respectedEsoom is a quality contributor and well respectedEsoom is a quality contributor and well respectedEsoom is a quality contributor and well respectedEsoom is a quality contributor and well respectedEsoom is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyTExan View Post
Worst pass defense in NFL history. We were pretty solid against the run, unless it was a QB doing the running. For some reason, we still have yet to find a way to stop that.
Old 03-01-2011   #19
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Wow! **** it let's just field DE's and WR's next year. We'll have the number one unstoppable offense and we'll lead the league in sacks. We'll be awesome!
Old 03-01-2011   #20
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Vonta Leach-no brainer, re-sign him.
Owen Daniels-Bye....Dreesen, Casey, and Graham can get the job done.
Jacoby Jones-maybe for league minimum, but there are good late round WR in the draft.
Mark Anderson-hell yes re-sign him, he'll come cheap, at worst he's a decent backup OLB.
Matt Leinart-he'll get starting money somewhere else.
Rashad Butler-I wish we'd re-sign him but he'll get starter money elsewhere, wish him well.
Shaun Cody-re-sign for league minimum as a backup only, if he leaves....Bye.
Zac Diles-see Shaun Cody. Backup ILB only.
Derrick Ward-I'd like to keep him but he'll get a better offer elsewhere.
Matt Turk-retire already, if not then Bye.
Bernard Pollard-re-sign him, he's not perfect but we've got bigger problems to worry about this year.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read