Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 02-28-2011   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 133123 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Jets cut 4

Quote:
The New York Jets are planning to release four players from their roster: offensive tackle Damien Woody, outside linebacker Vernon Gholston, nose guard Kris Jenkins and outside linebacker Jason Taylor, according to The New York Daily News.

The moves will save the Jets over $20 million in salary and bonuses, creating space for free agent Santonio Holmes to be re-signed.
Per the report, some of the players could return at lower salaries.
http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/n...ory?id=6168598
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011   #2
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123107 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Jets cut 4

Woody - injury prone
Gholston - looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane
Jenkins - injury prone
Taylor - actually wouldn't complain if we brought him in for one year only while we transition to the new defense
bah007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011   #3
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 140741 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

it's a shame he cant stay on the field, kris jenkins is a bad man when healthy. his career has been 3 healthy seasons, 2 injured, 3 healthy, 2 injured ... i say we follow the trend and offer him a 3 year contract.

no not really. after consecutive surgeries on the same knee, he'd have to come dirt cheap to even garner a look.
Old 02-28-2011   #4
JimBaker488
Veteran

Rep Power: 106 JimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respected

Gholstons what, one of the biggst busts in the last 5, even 10 years ?
Wonder if there's anything there worth taking a chance on, seeing how bad the Texans need 3-4 edge-rushers.
Say what you want to about Smith-Kubiak, but they haven't missed that bad. Not yet anyway.
JimBaker488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011   #5
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Man... Kris Jenkins.... How mad would Chris Meyers be if we brought him in and he had to practice against him every week

Even if we could only get half a season from the guy, Id go for it. The guy is just dominant at the NT position
Old 03-01-2011   #6
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Man... Kris Jenkins.... How mad would Chris Meyers be if we brought him in and he had to practice against him every week

Even if we could only get half a season from the guy, Id go for it. The guy is just dominant at the NT position
Boy is that so tempting. I'd love to have him but rotate in depth quite frequently. Keep him healthy and fresh. Who knows... maybe Meyers would get better during practice being able to go up against someone thats actually good! lol

I hate that Gholston is such a bust. All that potential makes me intruiged. You know he HAAASS to come cheap. Rex Ryan is a smart defensive mind, you woulda thunk he'd be able to figure something out. I kind of want to see what Wade could do with him - probably just end up getting cut before the season starts.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011   #7
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
Boy is that so tempting. I'd love to have him but rotate in depth quite frequently. Keep him healthy and fresh. Who knows... maybe Meyers would get better during practice being able to go up against someone thats actually good! lol
Dude has only played in 7 games in the last 2 years. Not seeing him or 3 game in 2 years Bob Sanders as legitimate free agent targets. Love to have his talent of old, but too big a risk.

Quote:
I hate that Gholston is such a bust. All that potential makes me intruiged. You know he HAAASS to come cheap. Rex Ryan is a smart defensive mind, you woulda thunk he'd be able to figure something out. I kind of want to see what Wade could do with him - probably just end up getting cut before the season starts.
Gholston was a more expensive Antwan Peek and less effective. Both had lots of potential and almost no football instincts (apparently none in Gholston's case). Seriously 6th overall pick with 42 total tackles in 3 years (that would be less than Peek as a rookie) and 0 sacks. WTF?
Old 03-01-2011   #8
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Dude has only played in 7 games in the last 2 years. Not seeing him or 3 game in 2 years Bob Sanders as legitimate free agent targets. Love to have his talent of old, but too big a risk.

Gholston was a more expensive Antwan Peek and less effective. Both had lots of potential and almost no football instincts (apparently none in Gholston's case). Seriously 6th overall pick with 42 total tackles in 3 years (that would be less than Peek as a rookie) and 0 sacks. WTF?
According to Schefter, Gholston had an incentive in his contract that if he was to achieve 1 sack or 1 forced fumble it would've triggered a $9 million bump in pay. He didn't get it!

Is that not messed up? Ha. Gholston's probably peeing blood right now from the self inducing blow to the nads
Old 03-01-2011   #9
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
According to Schefter, Gholston had an incentive in his contract that if he was to achieve 1 sack or 1 forced fumble it would've triggered a $9 million bump in pay. He didn't get it!

Is that not messed up? Ha. Gholston's probably peeing blood right now from the self inducing blow to the nads
For real!? Daamn. If I were him I would of talked to the opposing teams' RB before the last game of the season and paid him $100K to fumble.. assuming Gholston even got close for a tackle. LOL
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011   #10
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
For real!? Daamn. If I were him I would of talked to the opposing teams' RB before the last game of the season and paid him $100K to fumble.. assuming Gholston even got close for a tackle. LOL
Yup - or a fumble recovery. People talk about Okoye being a bust. Gholston is an epic bust.
Old 03-01-2011   #11
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9755 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

How can you have 0 sacks in 3 years? I think I could accidentally not be blocked and get ONE. I mean, Zerokoye has a few, and he is not very good. Nading may have one.
Old 03-01-2011   #12
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 127449 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd bring in Gholston in for a tryout, though he would not make the roster.

We could put him next to Okoye to make Amobi look good
The1ApplePie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011   #13
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I actually think Amobi will be a good player in our defense...Maybe he never lives up to his draft status, but I think he will be a pretty good rotation player...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011   #14
gg no re
iggnorent

Rep Power: 42567 gg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respected
Default [Schefter] Gholston had a $9 million escalator clause if he...

edit: at myself for reposting.
gg no re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011   #15
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: [Schefter] Gholston had a $9 million escalator clause if he...

Holy shit. If somebody gave me a contract where I would receive 9 million dollars for a sack, fumble, or fumble recovery, I'd find a way to pull it off.

Even if it involved a "Last boy scouts" scenario.

On a serious note though, that's one of the wackiest contract clauses I've ever heard of.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011   #16
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29759 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Wow. Talk about a lack of dedication.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011   #17
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
Wow. Talk about a lack of dedication.
That's what I thought as well. I think the easiest one to get would be a FF.... For 9 million dollars, I'd be breaking peoples arms out there. Hell or you could be a business man and in late season trash time, try to offer 1 million dollars to a opposing offensive player to surrender one of the three.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011   #18
Lucky

Rep Power: 207841 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Yup - or a fumble recovery. People talk about Okoye being a bust. Gholston is an epic bust.
Yet the Jets were able to survive that pick and still win. Credit to Rex Ryan.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read