Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 04-13-2005   #1
tacoman_j
Veteran

Angry Monday Night???

If texans don't get game this is so unfair!!! WE have fourth largest mkt in football crazy state

http://newyorkpost.com/sports/giants/23140.htm
tacoman_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005   #2
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the article says it all. Eli Manning against a team he didn't want to play for and was vocal about it....that's going to have an audience just from people wanting to see how he plays.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005   #3
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

you know eli really came off looking like a big spoiled brat after the draft...specially with the giants sucking and the chargers going to the playoffs...it's just sad that because of his last name he is getting a lot of the media attention
Old 04-13-2005   #4
BattleRedRaider
All Pro

Rep Power: 19 BattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame Ballot
Send a message via AIM to BattleRedRaider Send a message via MSN to BattleRedRaider Send a message via Yahoo to BattleRedRaider

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyfro
you know eli really came off looking like a big spoiled brat after the draft...specially with the giants sucking and the chargers going to the playoffs...it's just sad that because of his last name he is getting a lot of the media attention
That's the media for ya. More about his name and yapping than skill.

Last edited by BattleRedRaider; 04-13-2005 at 11:51 AM.
BattleRedRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005   #5
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Houston is the 11th largest TV market. http://www.nielsenmedia.com/DMAs.html

It doesn't matter if the state is football crazy, the Texans do not have a strong national following and won't until they start making noise in the playoffs. The NY market is the largest market in America and the Manning/SD subplot is something that can be marketed effectively nationwide. It's not about fair, it's about money, i.e. advertising dollars and exposure to as many households as possible.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005   #6
Youngstown Colt
All Pro

Eli was the reason the chargers were good anyway. I want to see this game and want to see Eli beat down the team who he helped build
Old 04-13-2005   #7
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

I have zero interest in either of these teams. But you better believe I'll be tuning in in hopes of seeing Eli get planted by one of the Charger defenders.

I believe I am the exact idea of who they had in mind when considering their audience.
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-14-2005   #8
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge
I have zero interest in either of these teams. But you better believe I'll be tuning in in hopes of seeing Eli get planted by one of the Charger defenders.

I believe I am the exact idea of who they had in mind when considering their audience.
I have to admit, I agree. I hope the Chargers have Eli eating dirt all day long!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005   #9
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

Didn't John Elway do the same thing?
Old 04-14-2005   #10
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWJD
Didn't John Elway do the same thing?
Yes he did the same thing when he was drafted by the then Baltimore Colts. Interestingly enough Acorsi was the GM for the Baltimore Colts at the time, and he is now the GM for the Giants.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005   #11
BornOrange
All Pro

Rep Power: 15 BornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngstown Colt
Eli was the reason the chargers were good anyway. I want to see this game and want to see Eli beat down the team who he helped build
Actually, all the Chargers got last year for Manning was QB Phillip Rivers and K Nate Kaeding. The Chargers would have really made out well if they had drafted WR Roy Williams with that #4 overall pick to join Tomlinson and Gates as playmakers on that offense.

Getting the Giants #1 pick this year will be a big help.
BornOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005   #12
LBC_Justin
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 LBC_Justin is a Pro BowlerLBC_Justin is a Pro Bowler
Default So.......No Monday Night game for the Texans. Oh well

I would have loved the Texans to have gotten a monday night game this year. But hey what can you do. There is always next year.

I think the schedule is ok but....Some teams I think get way more coverage than they deserve.

I don't understand giving Green Bay THREE monday night games. (Yeah it may be Farve's last year but come on.) Plus they got 2 other Nationally televised games. They were not that great last year and only snuck into the playoffs last year because the NFC was really weak.

FOUR nationally televised games for Kansas City???(Including one Monday night) They are a small market team that finished THIRD place in their division last year!!

FOUR nationally televised games for the Raiders???They were 5-11 last year....oh that's right they have Randy Moss now....*sigh*.(At leasted they were denied a Monday night game) I live in the LA area, you have no idea how annoying Raiders fans are. Oh actually you do know because you have too many Cowboy fans in Houston.

TWO monday night games for the Cowboys plus Thanksgiving and a ESPN Sunday night game. Weren't the Cowboys a pathetic 6-10 last year???? "They are America's team"....fine then give them one monday game but two...come on.

Atlanta, Philly, New England, Indy & Pitt deserve all the games they got.

I would be upset if I was a Viking fan. They won their division. They won a playoff game. They made some waves in the off season and they got TWO nationally televised games. (One Sunday and One Monday game.) Sucks for them.

Also, Jaguars went 9-7 last year. They look to be on the rise and they got a whopping ONE nationally televised game and it wasn't even a monday night game. WOW!!! That says a lot about how the TV Networks view that team and that market. Jag fans you guys better wake up and start attending games and showing some support or we are going to be talking about the LA Jaguars soon.

Anyways if the Texans continue to improve and have a stong season this up coming year the Nationally televised games will follow.

Last edited by LBC_Justin; 04-14-2005 at 10:43 AM.
LBC_Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005   #13
WWJD
Hall of Fame

The Packers have a HUGE national following and Favre is one of the "must see" players in the NFL. They're always going to get national games.

The Raiders have the mystique of being the Raiders. They too have a large national following. People will watch.

Same for the Cowboys.

It's all about money and ratings. And all of these teams deliver.

There is going to be alot of angry Texan fans next year when the Steelers come to town because there will be tons of them at Reliant.....I don't like it but watch their out of town games. Steeler fans everywhere.
Old 04-14-2005   #14
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP

MNF is notoriously bad a picking good matchups.
Old 04-14-2005   #15
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

They pick the matchups that will bring them the best rankings...not the best game. Hence Dallas and Washington in Week 2.
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005   #16
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulip
MNF is notoriously bad a picking good matchups.
True, but they have to base their decisions on the "power" teams of the previous season. It's difficult for anyone to predict who will be the elite teams from one year to the next. One of those MNF games that looked to be a stinker around midseason last year, but looked like a gem before the season began was the Dolphins vs Patriots matchup. It turned out to be a pretty good game, and one heck of an upset for the Dolphins so MNF faired pretty well after all was said and done.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005   #17
WWJD
Hall of Fame

I thought I heard that Monday night games were going to be on ESPN from now on...didn't the owners just decide that at their meeting?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read