Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-28-2011   #1
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 11791 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Owen Daniels one step closer to leaving?

Not sure if this was posted anywhere else, if so, please merge.

From the looks of it, it seems that OD is heading out the door.

http://www.battleredblog.com/2011/2/...cape?ref=yahoo
Old 02-28-2011   #2
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27155 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Owen Daniels one step closer to leaving?

Bye... Dreesen, Casey, and Graham can handle the TE duties just fine.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011   #3
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34613 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
Bye... Dreesen, Casey, and Graham can handle the TE duties just fine.
I hope you're right. The games OD played 100% last season made such a huge difference to the offense! If true, I hope to see Casey or Graham step up as the starter.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011   #4
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101824 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

LOL at the notion of Owen Daniels agreeing to sign for the vet min. with any team. That was pretty far fetched.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011   #5
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 32596 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

This offense will have more slow starts w/o him.

Sorry but Dreessen ain't Owen. This offense hasn't been the same since week 10 of 2009.
Old 02-28-2011   #6
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Garret Graham can play. He was even drafted because he pretty much had the same skill set as OD. This was why he was drafted - for when this day came with OD.

I think it is just a matter of seeing if other teams will give OD the big contract and if we can match it or not.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011   #7
2slik4u
All Pro

Rep Power: 11791 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post
I hope you're right. The games OD played 100% last season made such a huge difference to the offense! If true, I hope to see Casey or Graham step up as the starter.
I agree with you on this but the guy cannot stay healthy. I would sign him back for a minimal, incentive based contract but he is going to want some good $ to play anywhere. I say we let some other team take on that headache. Maybe letting him go will be one step closer to free up some room to get that big name vet FA?

I hope so.
Old 02-28-2011   #8
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 91652 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
LOL at the notion of Owen Daniels agreeing to sign for the vet min. with any team. That was pretty far fetched.
Absolutely agree, plus I think it's kind of misleading if not out and out inaccurate to say he "hasn't been able to get through a season in full health for quite awhile now". He played in and started 16 games in both 2007 & 2008, and I believe the games missed last season were an indirect result of the '09 injury.

The conclusion reached may have been correct, but I'm not at all impressed with the article.

I do agree that it could very well happen, but I think letting OD get away would be a big mistake.
Old 02-28-2011   #9
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 139897 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I would not want Daniels back this season without a massive paycut. I'd want him to take either the veteran minimum or close to it. A healthy Daniels is probably a better receiver than either James Casey or Joel Dreessen at this point, but he hasn't been able to get through a season in full health for quite awhile now. Additionally, as I brought up above, he's just a terrible blocker. He's always been an awful blocker. Putting him on the field, with his receiving skills, would be a boon if he could block at even a league-average level, but he can't do that at this point. If it's not a situation that dictates you're going to pass the ball 80% of the time or so, I'd much rather have Casey or Dreessen out there at this point, and I'm not sure Casey is much of a downgrade from Daniels in the passing game either.
So much of this is laughable, that there's little point in discussing it.

- Horrible Blocker?
- Vet Minimum?
- Rather have Casey / Dreesen unless 80% passing?

Old 02-28-2011   #10
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

I like OD. I don't think he is the reason they lost games when he was hurt but I think he fits the offense, works with Schaub better and can find the holes in the defense much better than anyone named so far. Guys like Casey are special teamers right now and if they were as good they would have been more prominent in the 2 years since drafted.
Old 02-28-2011   #11
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 51562 dc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaShark316 View Post
This offense will have more slow starts w/o him.

Sorry but Dreessen ain't Owen. This offense hasn't been the same since week 10 of 2009.
Dreessen was a big part of Arian Fosters league leading year and the dudes got pretty good hands as well. He may not be the route runner that Daniels is/was but he is a much better blocker and also he hasn't torn both his ACL's.

Is Daniels going to be a restricted free agent? Will we have the chance to match an offer? I'm not so sure he is going to get the big contract that he is after on the open market.
Old 02-28-2011   #12
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I really really like Owen Daniels and think he's been a great TE for us when healthy. But rumor has it, he was looking for a contract to be one of the highest paid TEs in the league. It's anyone's guess what he was "demanding" but if that were the case... he'd want a multi-year $7MM+/year contract.

That's just not a wise investment in my opinion. No Dreessen, Casey, Graham aren't as good... but $7MM per year for a tight end is nuts when you consider the other players we just signed or will soon re-sign.

If he does indeed go, I wish him all the luck.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011   #13
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 358082 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
I really really like Owen Daniels and think he's been a great TE for us when healthy. But rumor has it, he was looking for a contract to be one of the highest paid TEs in the league. It's anyone's guess what he was "demanding" but if that were the case... he'd want a multi-year $7MM+/year contract.
That was before his injury. OD seems smart enough to know his market value went down after that.
Old 02-28-2011   #14
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post

That's just not a wise investment in my opinion. No Dreessen, Casey, Graham aren't as good... but $7MM per year for a tight end is nuts when you consider the other players we just signed or will soon re-sign.

If he does indeed go, I wish him all the luck.
From what I recall, he was asking to be paid as a top 5 TE. I don't think he warrants that money, but I would like to keep him on the team for about 3 million a year + incentives. A guy like him who has a lot of uncertainty around his production could be just fine with an incentive laden deal. If he does well, he makes lots of money, if he gets hurt again, he only makes 3 mill. Seems reasonable to me.
Old 02-28-2011   #15
2slik4u
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
So much of this is laughable, that there's little point in discussing it.

- Horrible Blocker?
- Vet Minimum?
- Rather have Casey / Dreesen unless 80% passing?

Are you saying hes a great blocker?

Are you saying he wont take the vet minimum? If so, we all know that.

On your third point, I would rather have those two over an overpaid guy with major knee surgeries. OD's knees are shot and I would be surprised if one more doesnt end his career. I dont mind signing him but it has to be extremely incentive based and low salary. I know theres no chance of this happening which is why he will walk.
Old 02-28-2011   #16
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
That was before his injury. OD seems smart enough to know his market value went down after that.
Maybe not, he wasn't smart enough to jump all over that deal he reportedly had back in 2009 before his injury, which was it turns the third season-ending knee injury of his career. OD had it in his head he was an All-Pro TE, when in reality he was just an alternate who got to play because somebody else got hurt or sick or something and couldn't make the game.
I really like OD as a person and he's done well in Kubiaks system because he's such a good fit, but he is a scheme-dependant player who just has gotten an inflated idea about his own market value.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011   #17
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd probably trade Dreesen and let Casey and Grahm play more before I let OD walk.

Initially I wanted to let him go, but after seeing him last season compared to Dreesen, they are not really in the same leauge as far as route running goes and presenting themselves as an open target for Shammy.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011   #18
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I'd probably trade Dreesen and let Casey and Grahm play more before I let OD walk.

Initially I wanted to let him go, but after seeing him last season compared to Dreesen, they are not really in the same leauge as far as route running goes and presenting themselves as an open target for Shammy.
Dreesen has no trade value.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011   #19
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
Dreesen has no trade value.
I doubt that.

He may not fetch anything of significant value, but I think there are teams that would not mind trading a late round pick for him.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011   #20
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I doubt that.

He may not fetch anything of significant value, but I think there are teams that would not mind trading a late round pick for him.
He was a 6th round pick in 2005 by the NY Jets. So if they got anything 5th or higher for him, I'd say they did pretty well. However, he's cheap at only ~1 mill a year so it's not like they couldn't keep him and OD around.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read