Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-13-2005   #1
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan
Default Carr/Davis unspectacular ????

what this columist commenting on the draft and our needs said about Carr and Davis

"The team probably has too many other concerns to draft competitors for Carr and running back Domanick Davis, who have been steady though generally unspectacular."

Personally i feel they have both done very well. I can understand the comment about Davis just cause he has durability issues, but Carr is our man and given what he has had to work with i feel he has done a Very good job.

Link .

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default...ABN3842611.htm
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005   #2
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

Carr's first two years were unspectacular, but I think he proved a lot last year...The main thing he needs to improve is his TD to INT ratio...

Davis was horrible the first half of last season and needs to improve his YPC...

It's fairly easy to see why a national media outlet who has little interest in the Texans would say they have both been "unspectacular"...
Old 04-13-2005   #3
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222017 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Unspectacular ...... bleh , think this guy watched the game against the Falcons when Banks got hurt , Carr came in and took off running as the whole city of Houston held their collective breath's only to watch dive head first on his long scramble get hammered , get up in obvious pain and still lead the team to a score on that drive AND a WIN ?

Actually i'd rather not have DC need to make plays like that to win games , rather that the O-line give him time to get the ball to other playmakers , the recievers to get open so he doesnt have to throw into double coverage all the time and so forth ....
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005   #4
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

yeah i agree its not like he has had all the tools need to be succesful, i mean after all he did lead this team from our inaugiral season to now, and we are still building and getting the talent needed to compete, and i mean the O-line hasnt helped him or davis.
Old 04-13-2005   #5
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Its fair and accurate to portray them as steady but unspectacular at this point.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005   #6
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Its fair and accurate to portray them as steady but unspectacular at this point.

i just figure as little time as carr has to throw in the pocket, and the lack of good run blocking for davis that it was an unfair assesment.
Old 04-13-2005   #7
ocd
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansTrueFan
"The team probably has too many other concerns to draft competitors for Carr and running back Domanick Davis, who have been steady though generally unspectacular."

what a joke. put either one of these guys behind something similar to the broncos o-line and carr throws for 4,000 plus yards and davis clears the 1500 mark.
ocd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-13-2005   #8
thegr8fan
All Pro

Rep Power: 667 thegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
the Fans in the stands seemed to think this was a fairly accurate statement when they boo-ed him coming back onto the field. I believe that was the Cleveland game.

and somebody check with the Devil, cause his home just froze over. I couldn't agree more with what Vinny posted.
thegr8fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005   #9
outofhnd
All Pro

The perception will change when our record changes and reflects that. These guys are not texan fans and just going on statistics

Besides who would ask a dumb question of if the texans are going to try and unseat their 1st overall pick and rookie of the year running back?
Old 04-13-2005   #10
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
i just figure as little time as carr has to throw in the pocket, and the lack of good run blocking for davis that it was an unfair assesment.
Carr's pass protection has never been good, so it's easy to blame the O-Line for his inconsistencies, but the run blocking for Davis was good his rookie season and was good again after they got the zone blocking down...

TSN is merely stating the obvious, neither are superstars, but they are solid...
Old 04-13-2005   #11
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222017 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
How many Spectacular players do the defending Super Bowl Champs New England Patriots have (not to mention winning three of the last four SB's) .
I wouldnt call a single one of them spectacular . They just have MANY solid players who get the job done . Might not be a "highlight reel play" every other down like some teams but who cares about highlights when you are WINNING SUPER BOWLS ? They remind me of the team i hated for most of my yoth , the Steelers of the 70's . Those guy's were NOTHING spectacular , just got the job done by being better prepared and more physical than the opposition .... Franko's Immaculate Reception not withstanding.

If DC & DD can get some better blocking and another option (possibly a TE that doesnt give away the play call when he lines up) they are solid enough to get it done
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005   #12
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
what this columist commenting on the draft and our needs said about Carr and Davis

What's written seems like a pretty fair assessment to me.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005   #13
Human Highlight Reel
Rookie

The assement on Davis is a bit harsh considering the fact that he didn't start the 03 season out as the starter, but he ended up pumpin out a 1,000 rushing yards, and he was hurt the beginning of the 04 season but still managed to pump out another 1,000 rushing yards.

Not too mention his catching ability out of the backfield, he has great hands, do you know how many teams are looking for RBs that can pump out 1,000 yrds and catch the ball ocming out of the backfield.. I say give him a break he's a good running back, not Fred Taylor or LT or Corey Dillon or Clint Po great but nevertheless I'm happy to have him on our team and I think that us as Texan's fans should cherish him cause he has proven himself as a 1,000 rusher and a great reciever out of the backfield..

All these people in the media need to get off Carr's back.. no QB in NFL history has taking a pounding like that young man and he keep getting behind that Center like he does.. He's accurate and has the cannon that other QBs dream of, with a spotty O-Line he's not going to be as Tom Brady-esque or Trent Greenlike or any of them other "Super QBs" untill that problem is fixed..

Frankly I can't think of anybody else that I would like to have QBing my team than Carr, well maybe Montana or Elway..

Warning to ALL teams, We have D-Rob and PB so please don't throw...
Human Highlight Reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005   #14
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Considering the deficiancies of the team, to be called steady but unspectacular isn't nessesarily a major slam, but more of a commentary on where we are at as a team. Sounds about right to me.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005   #15
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Carr has been uneven, spectacular one game and uninspiring the next. DD is even more streaky. He seems to be good for 2-3 games then he will disappear (like the middle of the season last year). I think this was a fair assessment.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005   #16
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

The guy is actually more accurate in his assessment of draft needs than most of the guys on the internet. Week in week out, Carr and Davis have proven to be starting calibur players in the NFL, but neither is approaching being considered one top at his particular position.
ArlingtonTexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005   #17
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

You can portrait Carr as Steady but unspectacular.. but using that in the context of "he has been steady and unspectacular so they should draft someone to compete with him".. is just ignorance.

Carr is our guy and will remain so for a good while.. unless he stops improving... which he has yet to do.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005   #18
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

That is not what the article stated. They said that Carr and Davis ARE good enough NOT to draft guys to compete for their spots.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005   #19
HoustonLionsFan
Veteran

To start off, I am not starting a QB controversy or discussion, just an observation of a media and fan perspective.

Be glad the media is only saying unspectacular. Through 3 yrs, Carr and Harrington have very siimlar #'s, including wins and losses. Houston has Oline problems, Det has had WR and RB problems. Yet the media bashs Harrington pretty good, and talks highly of Carr. The fans in Det are calling for Joey's head, and the Houston fans are patiently waiting for Carr to develop. If the QB's were in opposite positions, Carr would be crucified, and Joey would just be 'developing' Again, not saying who is better (but probably, PROBABLY Carr), just a little commentary and perceptions when the 2 QB's are very similar in achievements. Be glad it is only unspectacular comments being directed his way.
HoustonLionsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005   #20
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonLionsFan
To start off, I am not starting a QB controversy or discussion, just an observation of a media and fan perspective.

Be glad the media is only saying unspectacular. Through 3 yrs, Carr and Harrington have very siimlar #'s, including wins and losses. Houston has Oline problems, Det has had WR and RB problems. Yet the media bashs Harrington pretty good, and talks highly of Carr. The fans in Det are calling for Joey's head, and the Houston fans are patiently waiting for Carr to develop. If the QB's were in opposite positions, Carr would be crucified, and Joey would just be 'developing' Again, not saying who is better (but probably, PROBABLY Carr), just a little commentary and perceptions when the 2 QB's are very similar in achievements. Be glad it is only unspectacular comments being directed his way.
Well two main possibilities here (and shades in between but we won't talk about those because they muck up the dichotomy)--(a) the fans in both cities are fairly astute and stats aside Carr really has shown more potential than Harrington and (b) fans don't know anything, but Detroit fans are less patient and more prone to shooting themselves in the foot by repeat drafting QB's for not "meeting expectations." Personally, I am going with (a) since Harrington has been sacked less times in three years (minus 20 sacks even) than Carr has been sacked in three years.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read