Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-26-2011   #1
texanchris
Veteran

Rep Power: 3782 texanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Kubiak and Smith combine transcript

http://houston.sbnation.com/houston-...on-potentially

http://houston.sbnation.com/houston-...ll-as-3-4-nose

Some interesting things said. I dont believe that Mitchell could be our full time nose tackle. He would be good in passing rushing situation but i think thats about it. Hopefully they move glover quinn to free saftey and pick up a good cornerback in free agency but i dont know, Kubiak said they will probably still go young in secondary next year.
texanchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011   #2
Esoom
Veteran

Section: 631
Rep Power: 256 Esoom is a quality contributor and well respectedEsoom is a quality contributor and well respectedEsoom is a quality contributor and well respectedEsoom is a quality contributor and well respectedEsoom is a quality contributor and well respectedEsoom is a quality contributor and well respectedEsoom is a quality contributor and well respectedEsoom is a quality contributor and well respectedEsoom is a quality contributor and well respectedEsoom is a quality contributor and well respectedEsoom is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kubiak and Smith combine transcript

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanchris View Post
http://houston.sbnation.com/houston-...on-potentially

http://houston.sbnation.com/houston-...ll-as-3-4-nose

Some interesting things said. I dont believe that Mitchell could be our full time nose tackle. He would be good in passing rushing situation but i think thats about it. Hopefully they move glover quinn to free saftey and pick up a good cornerback in free agency but i dont know, Kubiak said they will probably still go young in secondary next year.
I don't think he was saying "We will go young in the secondary next year". I think it was more of a, "No matter what we add, our secondary is still going to be really young." He did say they were trying to add veterans via FA though. I guess that's something to be optimistic about.
Old 02-26-2011   #3
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

It's kinda weird when one says Quin was our best CB, and the other considers moving him to safety (with Wade's approval of course!)

You're gonna take your best CB and convert him to a safety???
Very innovative!

Again, thanks to TXChris for the links!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011   #4
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

I disagree with the thinking that Earl Mitchell couldn't be a 1st and 2nd down nose. He's got the base for it and does a great job of playing as low as possible. He has NT tools and has way more upside at the position than Shaun Cody. I'm not saying you pencil Mitchell in as the guy for the next 10 years but I feel comfortable developing him in this role right now.
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011   #5
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23265 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
It's kinda weird when one says Quin was our best CB, and the other considers moving him to safety (with Wade's approval of course!)

Very innovative!
Totally agree... I thought Glover was our best CB last year.

Personally, I'd like to see us sign a FA CB. Start him opposite Glover, and move Kareem to nickel. Hopefully Kareem will develop into a good CB, then KJ & GQ will be long term starters.

Then hopefully get a FS in the draft or FA.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011   #6
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 211500 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5kwatts View Post
I disagree with the thinking that Earl Mitchell couldn't be a 1st and 2nd down nose. He's got the base for it and does a great job of playing as low as possible. He has NT tools and has way more upside at the position than Shaun Cody. I'm not saying you pencil Mitchell in as the guy for the next 10 years but I feel comfortable developing him in this role right now.
That kid Sheppard had the base for a 3-4 NT.

Did we stash him back on the PS, or is he gone gone?
Old 02-26-2011   #7
texanchris
Veteran

Rep Power: 3782 texanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
That kid Sheppard had the base for a 3-4 NT.

Did we stash him back on the PS, or is he gone gone?
on the titans...
http://www.titansonline.com/team/ros...9-ac20e8b04c0d
texanchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-26-2011   #8
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

"stay true to our board, draft for need but don't reach for need" kinda stands out to me.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011   #9
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 182645 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Very innovative!
Very Texans........
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011   #10
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 114610 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
"stay true to our board, draft for need but don't reach for need" kinda stands out to me.
Yep, that plan has been simply awesome to behold THUS far hasn't it? How about fighting for REALLY good guys in Free Agency for a change.
Old 02-27-2011   #11
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Rick Smith brought up a name that I haven't heard or read anyone talk about on this board - Mark Anderson. How does that guy fit into the grand scheme of things?

Also looks like Earl Mitchell will be our NT. We read the names Dan Cody, and Earl Mitchell and how we may have to start out small at the NT position and then we read nothing of Amobi Okoye.

Lastly I would assume the Texans think Newton is going to fall to them. Don't be suprised if you read more about us looking interested in him. I think we are going to find a way to trade down by showing some interest in him. Especially with Vikings looking for a QB.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011   #12
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 211500 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
Rick Smith brought up a name that I haven't heard or read anyone talk about on this board - Mark Anderson. How does that guy fit into the grand scheme of things?
I've been saying we should go into next season thinking Mark Anderson should be our weakside Rush OLB. He's a tweener, looks very athletic, & I have no doubt he could be used like Demarcus Ware, rushing the QB on 99.9% of the downs.

Connor Barwin should be our back-up, considering he's coming off injury. If he's healthy enough to beat Mark Anderson out at that spot, then we've got something.

I wouldn't look to draft OLB until 4th round or later. Unless of course a bad-ass is there at 11.
Quote:
Also looks like Earl Mitchell will be our NT. We read the names Dan Cody, and Earl Mitchell and how we may have to start out small at the NT position and then we read nothing of Amobi Okoye.
I think this is two fold. One, you don't want anyone to know you're looking for a NT in the first, if you're looking for a NT in the first. Saying that we can work with Mitchell or Cody (Shuan) could be no more than a smoke screen.

Second, penciling Mitchell/Cody in at this spot could be just to evaluate overall team needs. "If Mitchell/Cody is our NT, would investing in our secondary be more productive?" For all we know, they still see a zero at NT and feel it's our weekest position.

Amobi is definitely not a NT. He'll more than likely rotate at DE (which I think he's better at in a 3-4) even though he is "too short" (IMO).
Quote:
Lastly I would assume the Texans think Newton is going to fall to them. Don't be suprised if you read more about us looking interested in him. I think we are going to find a way to trade down by showing some interest in him. Especially with Vikings looking for a QB.
If we successfully convince other teams we are interested in Cam Newton, that makes the #10 spot more valuable. If we want him, why would we trade out of that position........ basically giving him away.

If Newton turns into a hot commodity, we need someone to believe Minnesota wants him. Then they'll approach us for a trade.

Think about the 2006 draft. Denver didn't trade with the team they thought wanted Jay Cutler. They traded with the team ahead of the team they thought wanted Jay Cutler.
Old 02-27-2011   #13
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Very innovative!

It's been done very successfully in the past, see Rod Woodson. I think Quin moves IF we sign a veteran corner. There are some top shelf CBs available, guys that are better than GQ, and if we can grab one moving Quin to FS perhaps shores up 2 positions.
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011   #14
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 182645 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by otisbean View Post
It's been done very successfully in the past, see Rod Woodson. I think Quin moves IF we sign a veteran corner. There are some top shelf CBs available, guys that are better than GQ, and if we can grab one moving Quin to FS perhaps shores up 2 positions.

The premise would be that Jackson will show a great deal of improvement. And he WOULD need a GREAT deal of improvement in order to be even functioning at the level that GQ was last year. Jackson's demonstrated deficiencies unfortunately were not limited to one or two factors.......it was his entire game..........certainly bringing in serious questions about his innate athletic AND football IQ limitations. If you get a "strong" CB, then the Jackson will be unmercifully tested. Seems like the type of miscalculated experiment that has screwed us repeatedly in the past. IMHO, it again has "failure" written all over it.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011   #15
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 53673 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
The premise would be that Jackson will show a great deal of improvement. And he WOULD need a GREAT deal of improvement in order to be even functioning at the level that GQ was last year. Jackson's demonstrated deficiencies unfortunately were not limited to one or two factors.......it was his entire game..........certainly bringing in serious questions about his innate athletic AND football IQ limitations. If you get a "strong" CB, then the Jackson will be unmercifully tested. Seems like the type of miscalculated experiment that has screwed us repeatedly in the past. IMHO, it again has "failure" written all over it.
The off-season plan, I have no doubt, is to add a quality veteran at CB. There are going to be many available and Kubiak/McNair have acknowledged regret with their decision-making procss from last year. The question is, "when will the league allow free agent signings"
Old 02-27-2011   #16
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
The question is, "when will the league allow free agent signings"
sometime after CBA is approved

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011   #17
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 43308 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
If we successfully convince other teams we are interested in Cam Newton, that makes the #10 spot more valuable. If we want him, why would we trade out of that position........ basically giving him away.
If Newton turns into a hot commodity, we need someone to believe Minnesota wants him. Then they'll approach us for a trade.
Think about the 2006 draft. Denver didn't trade with the team they thought wanted Jay Cutler. They traded with the team ahead of the team they thought wanted Jay Cutler.
C'mon now, get real. We're not going to get anybody to believe we're going to use our 1st round pick on a QB with the recent extension of Schaubs contract and our need to draft 3-4 players now with our teams transition this year to that defense.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011   #18
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 58428 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Having the draft before free agency (if any) is going to really jumble things up. This is going to be a situation where we take the best on the board, which could include any position of need, which would mean we'd probably take Cam Newton if he fell. It's going to be a very interesting draft.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011   #19
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Very innovative!

I don't think that him being the best corner means you can't move him. Especially not if you think that he can be an even better FS.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011   #20
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

This all just reeks of incompetence, stupidity, and a commitment to nothing.

This franchise sucks. Other teams trying to get better while the Texans are just more than happy to dumpster dive for free agents and give the 'young guys' another chance. We all saw how well that worked out last year.

These guys suck. Period. And their record speaks for itself and makes it a fact.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read