Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-24-2011   #1
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Mighty Quin on proposed trade

today on 790 The Mighty Quin spoke of a proposed trade between houston and denver of Mario Williams for Elvis Dumervil anyone else hear this?
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011   #2
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mighty Quin on proposed trade

Heres an article to back it up
http://www.xtrapointfootball.com/201...ood-thing.html

Interesting idea to say the least.

We're going to 3-4 and would get a 17 sack OLB and they're going to a 4-3 and would get a player Fox hopefully looks at as a future Peppers.

Could be a win-win
Old 02-24-2011   #3
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

I am not a huge Mario guy, but that would be a bad trade. If it was for a healthy and productive Elvis that had had a good year and wasn't coming off a major injury, I would be more open to it...but Elvis was hurt.

I would be open to trading Mario for a Top5 maybe a Top10 overall pick in this NFL draft, but other than that we just need to see how Mario does in the new 3-4 alignment.
Old 02-24-2011   #4
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Heres an article to back it up
http://www.xtrapointfootball.com/201...ood-thing.html

Interesting idea to say the least.

We're going to 3-4 and would get a 17 sack OLB and they're going to a 4-3 and would get a player Fox hopefully looks at as a future Peppers.

Could be a win-win
Thank You
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011   #5
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9755 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
I am not a huge Mario guy, but that would be a bad trade. If it was for a healthy and productive Elvis that had had a good year and wasn't coming off a major injury, I would be more open to it...but Elvis was hurt.

I would be open to trading Mario for a Top5 maybe a Top10 overall pick in this NFL draft, but other than that we just need to see how Mario does in the new 3-4 alignment.
Mario for a draft pick? That's not very good for us. To much uncertainty, especially with Rick Smith drafting. You would have to get a haul. Similar to Jared Allen.
Old 02-24-2011   #6
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10049 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Mighty Quin on proposed trade

LOL, so it would be in the same offseason (probably, we'll see if Bush takes a pay cut) - VY cut, Bush cut, and Mario traded?
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011   #7
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 416490 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

gtexan provided a link. Please do not quote entire articles. Thanks.
Old 02-24-2011   #8
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 65244 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

who's proposing the trade - Houston, Denver, or 790?
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011   #9
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

A long time ago I either posted or created a thread talking about this possibility. I mentioned that my brother talked about the reasons why trading Mario wouldn't be a bad idea. Some of you agreed and some thought we were crazy. It doesn't seem so crazy now but like Second Honeymoon said, Mario for a previously injured player is not a good idea IMO. However I do have to consider the fact that every year we are given the same line that Mario disappearing in November is because he's playing injured.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011   #10
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 416490 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzO View Post
who's proposing the trade - Houston, Denver, or 790?
Just speculation.

And Dumervil has an extremely odd contract that pays $14 mil next year and goes down each year after. If he performs well that is just begging for problems. Plus while I agree Dumervil is not as well suited to a 4-3 I think Mario can excel in either system.
Old 02-24-2011   #11
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Mario for Dumervil and there 1st this year and 2nd next year would do it for me.
Old 02-24-2011   #12
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Mario for Dumervil and there 1st this year and 2nd next year would do it for me.
If Josh McDaniels was still there, this would not sound so unlikely...
Old 02-24-2011   #13
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
A long time ago I either posted or created a thread talking about this possibility. I mentioned that my brother talked about the reasons why trading Mario wouldn't be a bad idea. Some of you agreed and some thought we were crazy. It doesn't seem so crazy now but like Second Honeymoon said, Mario for a previously injured player is not a good idea IMO. However I do have to consider the fact that every year we are given the same line that Mario disappearing in November is because he's playing injured.
Sounds just as crazy now as it ever did.

That article is nothing more than a guy with a blog & nothing but time on his hands. No one remotely associated with either team is even discussing this as a possibility.
Old 02-24-2011   #14
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 20242 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

Absolutely not. Mario is a guy you build your entire defense around. He is going to be great for a long time. He provides other things to our defense other than sack totals.

Not my chair, not my problem. Nope. Not eva.
Old 02-24-2011   #15
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 109604 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Dumerville is more inclined to injury than Mario. I dont' like it.

There shouldn't be a discussion of trading Mario unless he is refusing to accept the new system.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011   #16
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 52823 dc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slik4u View Post
Absolutely not. Mario is a guy you build your entire defense around. He is going to be great for a long time. He provides other things to our defense other than sack totals.

Not my chair, not my problem. Nope. Not eva.
Johnny hammersticks ova here hammerin away.
Old 02-24-2011   #17
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 39889 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Just speculation.

And Dumervil has an extremely odd contract that pays $14 mil next year and goes down each year after. If he performs well that is just begging for problems. Plus while I agree Dumervil is not as well suited to a 4-3 I think Mario can excel in either system.
Dumervill excelled in the 4-3 as a DE.
2007 :as a rookie, 8.5 sacks in 13 games.(Denver in 4-3)
2008: second year player, 12.5 sacks in 16 games (Denver in 4-3)
2009: Third year, 5 sacks in 16 games, (first year in 3-4)
2010: Fourth year, 17 sacks in 16 games (second year in 3-4).

Dumervill is a football player. He excels in the 4-3 as a DE and the 3-4 as an OLB.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011   #18
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 86297 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
Dumerville is more inclined to injury than Mario. I dont' like it.

There shouldn't be a discussion of trading Mario unless he is refusing to accept the new system.

I think the trade talk is nonsense, but so is your statement that "Dumervil is more inclined to injury than Mario".

2006: Mario ineffective because of a foot injury
2007: great year
2008: great year
2009: Mario has shoulder injury that limits effectiveness all season
2010: Mario sucks except for 3 games because of sports hernia, eventual IR

That isn't exactly the best track record for a guy in his mid 20s.
Old 02-24-2011   #19
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post

Mario is hurt every year also.... it's only a matter of time until those injuries start stacking up and he also misses games. Then throw in the fact that nobody knows what kind of player he's going to be in a 3-4 defense (He is no Bruce Smith).

I'd do this deal in a heartbeat.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011   #20
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 86297 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
Mario is hurt every year also.... it's only a matter of time until those injuries start stacking up and he also misses games. Then throw in the fact that nobody knows what kind of player he's going to be in a 3-4 defense (He is no Bruce Smith).

I'd do this deal in a heartbeat.
I'm not sure I would do the deal. One thing to think about, though, is the contract situation. Mario has one year left on his deal. Elvis has 5, I think. What is most significant about that is the trading team is responsible for the signing bonus figure on the salary cap... So, while trading Mario away would cost the Texans about a $3 million hit on the cap for 2011, none of Dumervil's signing bonus would ever count against the Texans cap. Therefore, his rather large contract would turn into a heck of a bargain because the Texans would only owe him his actual yearly salaries through 2015... In that respect, it would be an unbelievable deal...

actually, I just talked myself into it. I wish it wasn't make-believe, because the Texans would be foolish not to do it!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read