Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-23-2011   #1
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default 2011 NFL Combine

With the combine beginning tomorrow, I think that having a thread in which we discuss weigh-ins, drills, interviews, pretty much anything to do with the combine, is a pretty good idea. This way we are not looking through all kinds of threads to see who did what, and who interviewed whom (correct usage or no? not an English major).

Here is nfl.com's site on the combine, they always keep it up to date: http://www.nfl.com/combine
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011   #2
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 78264 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2011 NFL Combine

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
With the combine beginning tomorrow, I think that having a thread in which we discuss weigh-ins, drills, interviews, pretty much anything to do with the combine, is a pretty good idea. This way we are not looking through all kinds of threads to see who did what, and who interviewed whom (correct usage or no? not an English major).

Here is nfl.com's site on the combine, they always keep it up to date: http://www.nfl.com/combine
2nd for a sticky.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011   #3
Lucky

Rep Power: 136980 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Buzz about USC OT Tyron Smith's weigh-in (from draftcountdown.com)

Quote:
USC OT Tyron Smith was only listed at 280 pounds by the Trojans this past season. However, for two months I have been telling people not to worry and that with a solid pre-draft training program Smith would be up over 300 pounds by the Scouting Combine. Sure enough, Smith checked in at a cut 307 pounds in Indy. Even more impressive were Smith's extremely long 36⅜-inch arms and massive 11-inch hands. Needless to say Smith passed the eyeball test! Smith took a big step towards his goal of being the first blocker selected in the 2011 NFL Draft today and if he performs as well as expected in drills the Top 10 overall could be within reach.
Old 02-25-2011   #4
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 43308 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

This is off subject some, but not entirely because it involves crack football evaluator and rock-star of the NFL Network, Mike Mayock.
In rating and grouping CBs together the other day on NFL Network in preparation for the upcoming Combine in a discussion of defensive backs, Mayock used the term "tranches" ? Hadn't heard that one outside of the context of a discussion involving subprime mortgages and Credit Default Swaps ? Mayock do like to throw his words around.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011   #5
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2801 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm really stoked to see the TE's work out tomorrow...can't wait to see who we draft.
Old 02-25-2011   #6
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 69042 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuttoKarl View Post
I'm really stoked to see the TE's work out tomorrow...can't wait to see who we draft.
See now, I personally find this both hilarious as well as utilitarian. Because ya know, the Texans do seem to have taken a somewhat larger than proportionate share of TE's in the past draft or two, and your original and insightful comment which highlights this fact has made he aware of this for the first time. Kudo's to you for coming up with this fresh angle on the way the Texans front office has approached this aspect of managing a NFL franchise.

I Thank you. Your post shows great insight and originality, and I have benefitted from both the entertainment value and knowledge it has provided.
Old 02-25-2011   #7
The Cush
All Pro

Rep Power: 2778 The Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuttoKarl View Post
Its funny but an even more scary thought because of the fact that Owen Daniels did not get franchised before the deadline making the possibility of his tenure with the Texans over more realistic. Despite Dressen playing extremely well last year IMO, he's not a lock to be the opening day starter and with the Texans not afraid of drafting TE's with Daniels on the roster who knows how many resources they'll spend bringing more in if the plan is to let him walk.

TE Kyle Rudolph, Notre Dame 2nd round pick here we come
The Cush is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-25-2011   #8
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post

Good grief that guys got long arms and big hands. I hope he and other OT's do very well in the Combine and move up the draft board to top 10 status so that other players may fall to us.

If we take a TE at all in this draft Kubiak should be fired on the spot.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011   #9
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
Good grief that guys got long arms and big hands. I hope he and other OT's do very well in the Combine and move up the draft board to top 10 status so that other players may fall to us.

If we take a TE at all in this draft Kubiak should be fired on the spot.
probably means Owen Daniels will be accepting the highest offer elsewhere.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011   #10
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66299 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
There we go. Let's move him into the top 10.

I hope Newton has a good combine. Like you've said before, it would help us get the defensive player we need.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011   #11
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
probably means Owen Daniels will be accepting the highest offer elsewhere.
I'm fine with Daniels moving on to somewhere else, I thought we should have let him go before last year. Dreesen looked good 2 yrs. ago in relief work and did very good this past season as well. I'd move forward with Dreesen, Casey, and Graham at TE. Daniels is to expensive and injured to keep around.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011   #12
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
I'm fine with Daniels moving on to somewhere else, I thought we should have let him go before last year. Dreesen looked good 2 yrs. ago in relief work and did very good this past season as well. I'd move forward with Dreesen, Casey, and Graham at TE. Daniels is to expensive and injured to keep around.
Owen is top shelf in my book. Dreesen fits journeyman type label to me. Casey is a special teams leader who fills multiple back-up roles. Graham was a luxury pick Texans cannot afford to make but did anyway in response to possibility of losing Owen to injury or free agency.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011   #13
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 13034 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

I liked Lee Smith
Old 02-26-2011   #14
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Solder is showing why he should be among the top tackles in this draft (if not the number one tackle.)

Excellent 40 time (I heard anywhere from 4.97 to 5.05) and 10 yard split at 1.61
(The 10-yard time is especially important for offensive and defensive linesmen because they usually don't run further than that during a play.)

Solder's 10-yd time compares well with last year DBs at the combine (That's pretty sick!)

"Nate just ran his first 40 yard dash. Unoffially, Solder ran a 4.97 and more important, his 10 yard split was 1.61 seconds, the best of any lineman so far. His 4.97 forty ranks second.

Also, a sign of explosiveness, Nate Solder broad jumped 9'2", almost a foot over last year's average for offensive tackles. He out-jumped the other top linemen in this year's NFL draft.

UPDATE - Solder ran a 4.99 in his second forty."

Also, he did well in the mirror drill, showing that he can bend his knees with ease.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011   #15
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 77922 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Just watched a bit of it at nfl.com..... now that is some REALLY boring TV.
Old 02-26-2011   #16
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
LOL, that's why they have two cameras.
I like to listen to different things they talk about (how to eveluate different positions and stuff) and then watch certain drills to see if the guys I want to see can do well in those drills (guys that I don't see enough games of.)
Old 02-26-2011   #17
drs23 
Veteran

Rep Power: 78264 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
LOL! My wife asked me to paint something so she could watch it dry. Said she would enjoy that MUCH better.

Old 02-26-2011   #18
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
LOL! My wife asked me to paint something so she could watch it dry. Said she would enjoy that MUCH better.
I hope you didn't bite the bait, LOL!
Old 02-26-2011   #19
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Texans will draft another TE!

Virgil Green (Nevada) is somewhat undersized at 6'3, 249 but posseses long arms (33-1/2).
He put up some incredible numbers:
10'10 broad jump, 42.5 vertical, 25 reps.

He's projected to run somewhere around 4.4 in the 40

Made a couple of nice catches in one of the drilsl (text-book arm-extending, high-point on the outside shoulder, impossible-to-defend kind of catch.)
Old 02-26-2011   #20
drs23 
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I hope you didn't bite the bait, LOL!
Naa, told her I was off the clock and the dishwasher needed to be unloaded.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read