Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-23-2011   #21
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 124742 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ben Tate Medically Cleared

I think we still have Ogbonnaya too
Old 02-23-2011   #22
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39337 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Use the money on the defense.
Old 02-23-2011   #23
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 215632 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Slaton's contract:

signing bonus: $664,000
(2008) $295,000
(2009) $385,000
(2010) $470,000
(2011) $555,000

At such a bargain, how can Bob resist taking a chance of letting go a "superstar?"
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011   #24
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 337617 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Just heard MCLAME on 610 say that he expects Ward to go and Slaton to compete with Tate for 2nd and 3rd RB. With Ward's show last year, I find it hard to believe that Staton has the "inside track."
It wouldn't surprise me. Sucks, but I've come to expect inept from this FO.
Old 02-23-2011   #25
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
Wow, there is literally no topic that you won't turn into bashing Kubiak or the FO, is there?
Wow, you ignore the myriad of other posts I have made on this board 9over the past few months) where I very well COULD HAVE mentioned it but chose not to. In fact, this is a rare time where I will "go there," and I just knew someone like you would jump at the chance to make mention of it.

You Soaper Man Crushers wouldn't have a job without us. All you do is run around like parrots, trying to be the newest guy to blast a soaper.

Congratulations: You're the guy who leeches off others' ideas/opinions.

Next?
Old 02-23-2011   #26
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
Wow, there is literally no topic that you won't turn into bashing Kubiak or the FO, is there?
So why don't you go and blast Double Barrel, too?

Hell, he's run circles around me on this topic.

Anywho, I can't stand chest puffers like you who leech instead of adding to the conversation. You wanted my attention, so now you got it. Notice how it wasn't the other way around?

Half the time I don't say anything on this board but somebody out there waves the Wanted poster in my face and thinks they're going to bring in the bounty on me. Just put me on ignore if it's that bad, OK?

Check my most recent posts, and scan them for about the past month...tell me how many of those I spend raging against the machine. Not very many. I been talkin' football and talkin' about players, etc. You misplayed your hand.
Old 02-23-2011   #27
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 97639 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
So why don't you go and blast Double Barrel, too?

Hell, he's run circles around me on this topic.

Anywho, I can't stand chest puffers like you who leech instead of adding to the conversation. You wanted my attention, so now you got it. Notice how it wasn't the other way around?

Half the time I don't say anything on this board but somebody out there waves the Wanted poster in my face and thinks they're going to bring in the bounty on me. Just put me on ignore if it's that bad, OK?

Check my most recent posts, and scan them for about the past month...tell me how many of those I spend raging against the machine. Not very many. I been talkin' football and talkin' about players, etc. You misplayed your hand.

You do love to grand stand don't you?
I really don't care if you like it or not. You are very clearly one of the leading bashers on this message board, and have been for a while.
I don't know what your recent history has been, but I do know that you have blasted the FO in many threads out of context to the thread topic, and plainly did so in this thread.
It get's old.
This opinion has nothing to do with DB, or any other member here. I've been a contributing member here for years, and very little of my contribution has EVER been critical of another member's opinions, or view points.
When I have an opinion, I'll state it. I don't put people on ignore. I tell them what I think. If you don't like it, you feel free to put me on ignore.

Your schtick is played out GP. Eveyone knows how you feel about the FO, trust me.

I'm not trying to tell you that you shouldn't carry on expressing your view point. By all means, exercise your right to do so.
Just as I'll exercise my right to tell you that you sound like a broken record.
I don't need to hold this conversation by PM like last time.
This is my opinion, and that's the opinion that I want expressed here for the entire community to witness.
Blast me, put me on ignore, call me names if you want to. It's all irrelevant. Your constant barrage of spewage lessens the enjoyment that I have on this message board, and I'm going to state my opinion whether you care for it, or not.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-23-2011   #28
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 14154 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

Back on point. Glad that Tate is going to be back, and though I'd hate for Ward to walk he'll likely have a better situation on another team then here and I wish him the best of luck if he chooses that route. Based on Slatons performances last year I'd rate him as a 4th RB, but someone else is going to have to beat him out to put him there, so if not he's the 3rd best RB we've got, untill he can fix whatever is messing with him.
Old 02-23-2011   #29
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

As much as I like Ward, I'd let him go.

I think we can spend our resources better...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011   #30
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 354011 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Not sure why anyone thinks we shouldn't keep all four of Foster, Tate, Ward and Slaton if possible. Clearly that involves whether Ward gets offers to start which I doubt.
Old 02-23-2011   #31
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Rep Power: 337617 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
As much as I like Ward, I'd let him go.

I think we can spend our resources better...
I don't know, man. He seemed to be a great complement to Foster. They were a 1-2 punch that solidified the running game. Perhaps Tate can be that role now, but coming off an injury, we really don't know until it happens.

I'd much rather see them put resources into a proven commodity like Ward instead of blowing $3 million on Dan O.

Although, this is just my gut reaction, so I don't know what Ward could garner on the FA market, and as has been said above, if he even wants to be here behind Foster.

I just hope they get rid of Slaton. I saw nothing productive in that dude, and this team needs to develop a take-no-prisoners attitude about non-productive players (looking at you, JJ!...although he might be gone, too).
Old 02-23-2011   #32
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 354011 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I just hope they get rid of Slaton. I saw nothing productive in that dude, and this team needs to develop a take-no-prisoners attitude about non-productive players (looking at you, JJ!...although he might be gone, too).
While understanding the underlying sentiment, I don't get the specific example. SS rushed for 4.9 ypc last year. You need back up RB's.
Old 02-23-2011   #33
valleytexfan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 275 valleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respected

The important thing to consider is that Ward likely wants to leave to be a starter. I'm thinking the Texans want to keep him as the No. 2, but Ward is gonna look to go be a starter first IMO knowing that chance isn't available in Houston. He wants a starting spot and starter money...now if he's willing to be a backup again, the Texans would be wise to keep him.
valleytexfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011   #34
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90172 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
While understanding the underlying sentiment, I don't get the specific example. SS rushed for 4.9 ypc last year. You need back up RB's.
Agreed.

Another thing to remember is that in 2010 Slaton was coming off of neck surgery that may have been more difficult to rehab from mentally than it was physically. I'm not making any prediction, but given another off-season to recuperate and get his confidence/sense of well being back, I'd at least like to see what he looks like in training camp and in the pre-season* before making the decision to jettison him.

* Assuming of course there is a training camp and/or pre-season!
Old 02-23-2011   #35
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 215632 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't know, man. He seemed to be a great complement to Foster. They were a 1-2 punch that solidified the running game. Perhaps Tate can be that role now, but coming off an injury, we really don't know until it happens.

I'd much rather see them put resources into a proven commodity like Ward instead of blowing $3 million on Dan O.

Although, this is just my gut reaction, so I don't know what Ward could garner on the FA market, and as has been said above, if he even wants to be here behind Foster.

Agree with all points.........and would like to make one additional one. Even if Tate comes back close to effective form. how many RBs make it through an entire season. Trying to maintain the successful system of last year's offense will require TWO healthy EFFECTIVE RBs at all times. We lucked out last year. Without that "third wheel" last year, we wouldn't have likely enjoyed the scenery. Without that same "third wheel" this year, we may not be so lucky.
Old 02-23-2011   #36
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Agree with all points.........and would like to make one additional one. Even if Tate comes back close to effective form. how many RBs make it through an entire season. Trying to maintain the successful system of last year's offense will require TWO healthy EFFECTIVE RBs at all times. We lucked out last year. Without that "third wheel" last year, we wouldn't have likely enjoyed the scenery. Without that same "third wheel" this year, we may not be so lucky.
Doc, do you still feel the recovery potential for Tate to be in 85-95 % range?

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011   #37
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

"Minor" is relative. Simply put sh*t happens. That "third wheel" can quickly become very important.

Quote:
Houston Texans running back Arian Foster underwent arthroscopic knee surgery Wednesday after sustaining cartilage damage during the Pro Bowl, the Houston Chronicle reported.

The procedure on Foster's right knee was reportedly minor and will require about three weeks of recovery time.
LINK
Old 02-23-2011   #38
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Interesting statistic. But, consider his average goes down to 3.8 if you take away his 23 yard run. Obviously, 19 carriers for 93 yards is not much to really go on. He never seemed very productive as a RB, and with the production from Foster and Ward, SS seemed anemic, at best.
Old 02-23-2011   #39
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Interesting statistic. But, consider his average goes down to 3.8 if you take away his 23 yard run. Obviously, 19 carriers for 93 yards is not much to really go on. He never seemed very productive as a RB, and with the production from Foster and Ward, SS seemed anemic, at best.
I'm not suggesting starting him or anything. Just saying keep him on the depth chart even as #4 RB (if you can re-sign Ward). He's cheap, he has become a good blocker and catches well. I don't see upgrading him without a draft pick we can better use elsewhere.
Old 02-23-2011   #40
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

I forgot we had him. A productive Ben Tate can make our running game and offense even stronger. Let's face it, being a running back in the NFL is a fickle business. Arian Foster was great last season, but we need to keep him fresh and healthy. I think Ben Tate can do what Ward did for us and he has the talent to be a very good back in this league. Anyway, glad to hear that he's back and hope he can stay injury free and become a productive part of our team.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read