Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-23-2011   #1
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 181498 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Ben Tate Medically Cleared

..........Will he cut into Arian Foster’s Productivity?

Quote:
Houston Texans running back Arian Foster capitalized on injuries to Ben Tate and Steve Slaton by rushing for a franchise-record 231 yards the first week of the season against the Indianapolis Colts. The undrafted back out of Tennessee didn’t stop there — he put together seven more 100-yard games for the Texans to earn the NFL’s rushing title and fantasy MVP crown. Though 2010 proved to be a monstrous success for Foster, an interesting item was revealed on Tuesday making us wonder how it will impact Foster’s fantasy status for 2011.

Texans running back Ben Tate announced on twitter that he was finally ready to resume his NFL career. “Went to see the doc today finally cleared no more rehab im sooo happy…..time for a vacation then back on the grind for the 2011 season!!!!!!!!#NOLOCKOUT” he wrote.

Tate was Houston’s second-round pick last year and he unfortunately tore up his ankle in the team’s first preseason game in August. Tate ended up on injured reserve for the entire season, and the starting job went to Arian Foster who became a star. Now that the former second-round pick out of Auburn is returning, one has to wonder if Arian will be as productive as he was last year.

There is little doubt that Foster fits into Houston’s offense perfectly and that he can continue his success in the league. The reality is that all teams share carries at running back — even Houston had Derrick Ward getting plenty of looks last season — so I wouldn’t worry about Tate. He has to worry about regaining the form that led to him being a high draft pick, and the Texans would be crazy to take the ball out of Foster’s hands more than they need to.

Tate’s emergence may give the Texans a better second option at running back, but I wouldn’t worry about him cutting into Foster’s stats too much. Arian Foster is still the man in Houston.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011   #2
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 78686 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ben Tate Medically Cleared

good maybe now he can earn some of the money he's getting paid. But i'm not worried about him, we have arian foster and after last season RB is my last worry. I did like the way Ward ran the ball though.
Old 02-23-2011   #3
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 181498 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Just heard MCLAME on 610 say that he expects Ward to go and Slaton to compete with Tate for 2nd and 3rd RB. With Ward's show last year, I find it hard to believe that Staton has the "inside track."
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011   #4
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72199 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know how it finished, but Ward actually had a higher AYPC than Foster for much of the year. Ward may be a starter somewhere else soon though.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011   #5
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

I would try to bring Ward back if I could. Don't think it'll happen, since he would cost actual money, but a guy can wish.
Old 02-23-2011   #6
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Just heard MCLAME on 610 say that he expects Ward to go and Slaton to compete with Tate for 2nd and 3rd RB. With Ward's show last year, I find it hard to believe that Staton has the "inside track."
Yeah, it would be par for the course if the Texans let Ward walk and kept Slaton.

We could finally have three capable RBs (Foster, Ward, and Tate) providing crazy depth at a position (RB) that you can't afford to be weak at in the NFL. It would be just like the Texans to get stoopid and somehow lose Ward by thinking they got Foster and Tate now. Oh, and the mighty Steve Slaton who everybody knows is going to emerge victorious in 2011. Barf.

At worst, you retain Ward and use him as trade bait throughout the camp and first part of reg season. Can the Texans do it? Can they actually use a very tradeable commodity, for once in their lives, and get something more than a 4th rounder? I doubt it.
Old 02-23-2011   #7
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 150814 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I wouldn't give you a hot six pack of Buckhorn for Slaton . I'd put Bill back there , after tailgating , before I'd play Slaton .

http://www.dailystrength.org/groups/...ssages/6554665
Old 02-23-2011   #8
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
I wouldn't give you a hot six pack of Buckhorn for Slaton . I'd put Bill back there , after tailgating , before I'd play Slaton .

Yeah, Slaton isn't worth a used roll of TP.
Old 02-23-2011   #9
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

LOL. Slaton is going to make the team because Kubiak discovered him, played him, and is hell bent on proving that once Gary Kubiak places his faith in you then you're in the family all the way. It's a pride thing.

We even had a ridiculous FG kicker competition because Kubiak had to stage a showdown instead of cutting Kris Brown outright.

Turns his head away from important plays.

It's plausible McNair ordered him to fire Frank Bush and others.

The "leader" of this team is wormy and incapable of doing whatever it takes...until he's forced to, and even THEN he finds ways to only go to a certain limit such as the fake field goal competition and using Slaton on kickoff returns for a whole season. Wormy.
Old 02-23-2011   #10
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 103838 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post

Old 02-23-2011   #11
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33836 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

After cutting Wilison, Davis, and the others I thought they were finnally seeing the light but some one must have a man crush on Slaton.
Old 02-23-2011   #12
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
In my Madden-10 I have no problem with Slaton being a Seahawk (seriously, how could they screw up rosters... anyone proofreading?)

One rookine year followed by TWO horrible years.. It's time to let this one slip back into the water, 'nothing to see here'...
Old 02-23-2011   #13
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Now why would you want to cut Ward? 2 out of the 6 games we won would've been losses if not for him - Oakland, and KC!
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011   #14
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 88794 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
LOL. Slaton is going to make the team because Kubiak discovered him, played him, and is hell bent on proving that once Gary Kubiak places his faith in you then you're in the family all the way. It's a pride thing.

We even had a ridiculous FG kicker competition because Kubiak had to stage a showdown instead of cutting Kris Brown outright.

Turns his head away from important plays.

It's plausible McNair ordered him to fire Frank Bush and others.

The "leader" of this team is wormy and incapable of doing whatever it takes...until he's forced to, and even THEN he finds ways to only go to a certain limit such as the fake field goal competition and using Slaton on kickoff returns for a whole season. Wormy.
Wow, there is literally no topic that you won't turn into bashing Kubiak or the FO, is there?
michaelm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011   #15
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 114610 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Cut Ward and keep Slaton? Why? For his great KR potential? This makes me ill.
Old 02-23-2011   #16
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13230 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

you guys are forgetting about slatons KR duties as a reason for keeping him
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011   #17
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 52681 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
Now why would you want to cut Ward? 2 out of the 6 games we won would've been losses if not for him - Oakland, and KC!
Ward won't be cut... he signed a 1 year deal. He's a FA.
Old 02-23-2011   #18
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 114610 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXtexanfan View Post
you guys are forgetting about slatons KR duties as a reason for keeping him
I remember it, it's definitely NOT a reason to keep him IMO.
Old 02-23-2011   #19
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 52681 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
There will be 5 or 6 RBs on the 80 man roster. McClain isn't breaking any news: Foster, Tate, Slaton will be three of those... Ward won't be since he is a free agent. The Texans will add a couple other guys but won't re-sign Ward (who'll be looking for a significant payday)... Ward is on the other side of 30.
Old 02-23-2011   #20
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217165 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
It's not our choice. Ward had a 1 year deal and he's a free agent. I'm sure the Texans FO would love to get him back but Ward's probably going to have a shot at competing for a starting job somewhere else. Here, he's got Foster ahead of him and Tate breathing down his neck.

Better money and more PT? Ward's gone.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read