Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Ben Tate Medically Cleared

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
..........Will he cut into Arian Foster’s Productivity?

Houston Texans running back Arian Foster capitalized on injuries to Ben Tate and Steve Slaton by rushing for a franchise-record 231 yards the first week of the season against the Indianapolis Colts. The undrafted back out of Tennessee didn’t stop there — he put together seven more 100-yard games for the Texans to earn the NFL’s rushing title and fantasy MVP crown. Though 2010 proved to be a monstrous success for Foster, an interesting item was revealed on Tuesday making us wonder how it will impact Foster’s fantasy status for 2011.

Texans running back Ben Tate announced on twitter that he was finally ready to resume his NFL career. “Went to see the doc today finally cleared no more rehab im sooo happy…..time for a vacation then back on the grind for the 2011 season!!!!!!!!#NOLOCKOUT” he wrote.

Tate was Houston’s second-round pick last year and he unfortunately tore up his ankle in the team’s first preseason game in August. Tate ended up on injured reserve for the entire season, and the starting job went to Arian Foster who became a star. Now that the former second-round pick out of Auburn is returning, one has to wonder if Arian will be as productive as he was last year.

There is little doubt that Foster fits into Houston’s offense perfectly and that he can continue his success in the league. The reality is that all teams share carries at running back — even Houston had Derrick Ward getting plenty of looks last season — so I wouldn’t worry about Tate. He has to worry about regaining the form that led to him being a high draft pick, and the Texans would be crazy to take the ball out of Foster’s hands more than they need to.

Tate’s emergence may give the Texans a better second option at running back, but I wouldn’t worry about him cutting into Foster’s stats too much. Arian Foster is still the man in Houston.

good maybe now he can earn some of the money he's getting paid. But i'm not worried about him, we have arian foster and after last season RB is my last worry. I did like the way Ward ran the ball though.

Just heard MCLAME on 610 say that he expects Ward to go and Slaton to compete with Tate for 2nd and 3rd RB. With Ward's show last year, I find it hard to believe that Staton has the "inside track."

I don't know how it finished, but Ward actually had a higher AYPC than Foster for much of the year. Ward may be a starter somewhere else soon though.

I would try to bring Ward back if I could. Don't think it'll happen, since he would cost actual money, but a guy can wish.

Just heard MCLAME on 610 say that he expects Ward to go and Slaton to compete with Tate for 2nd and 3rd RB. With Ward's show last year, I find it hard to believe that Staton has the "inside track."

Yeah, it would be par for the course if the Texans let Ward walk and kept Slaton.

We could finally have three capable RBs (Foster, Ward, and Tate) providing crazy depth at a position (RB) that you can't afford to be weak at in the NFL. It would be just like the Texans to get stoopid and somehow lose Ward by thinking they got Foster and Tate now. Oh, and the mighty Steve Slaton who everybody knows is going to emerge victorious in 2011. Barf.

At worst, you retain Ward and use him as trade bait throughout the camp and first part of reg season. Can the Texans do it? Can they actually use a very tradeable commodity, for once in their lives, and get something more than a 4th rounder? I doubt it.

LOL. Slaton is going to make the team because Kubiak discovered him, played him, and is hell bent on proving that once Gary Kubiak places his faith in you then you're in the family all the way. It's a pride thing.

We even had a ridiculous FG kicker competition because Kubiak had to stage a showdown instead of cutting Kris Brown outright.

Turns his head away from important plays.

It's plausible McNair ordered him to fire Frank Bush and others.

The "leader" of this team is wormy and incapable of doing whatever it takes...until he's forced to, and even THEN he finds ways to only go to a certain limit such as the fake field goal competition and using Slaton on kickoff returns for a whole season. Wormy.

After cutting Wilison, Davis, and the others I thought they were finnally seeing the light but some one must have a man crush on Slaton.

In my Madden-10 I have no problem with Slaton being a Seahawk (seriously, how could they screw up rosters... anyone proofreading?) :)

One rookine year followed by TWO horrible years.. It's time to let this one slip back into the water, 'nothing to see here'...

Now why would you want to cut Ward? 2 out of the 6 games we won would've been losses if not for him - Oakland, and KC!

LOL. Slaton is going to make the team because Kubiak discovered him, played him, and is hell bent on proving that once Gary Kubiak places his faith in you then you're in the family all the way. It's a pride thing.

We even had a ridiculous FG kicker competition because Kubiak had to stage a showdown instead of cutting Kris Brown outright.

Turns his head away from important plays.

It's plausible McNair ordered him to fire Frank Bush and others.

The "leader" of this team is wormy and incapable of doing whatever it takes...until he's forced to, and even THEN he finds ways to only go to a certain limit such as the fake field goal competition and using Slaton on kickoff returns for a whole season. Wormy.

Wow, there is literally no topic that you won't turn into bashing Kubiak or the FO, is there?

Cut Ward and keep Slaton? Why? For his great KR potential? This makes me ill.

There will be 5 or 6 RBs on the 80 man roster. McClain isn't breaking any news: Foster, Tate, Slaton will be three of those... Ward won't be since he is a free agent. The Texans will add a couple other guys but won't re-sign Ward (who'll be looking for a significant payday)... Ward is on the other side of 30.

Now why would you want to cut Ward? 2 out of the 6 games we won would've been losses if not for him - Oakland, and KC!

It's not our choice. Ward had a 1 year deal and he's a free agent. I'm sure the Texans FO would love to get him back but Ward's probably going to have a shot at competing for a starting job somewhere else. Here, he's got Foster ahead of him and Tate breathing down his neck.

Better money and more PT? Ward's gone.

Slaton's contract:

signing bonus: $664,000
(2008) $295,000
(2009) $385,000
(2010) $470,000
(2011) $555,000

At such a bargain, how can Bob resist taking a chance of letting go a "superstar?":kubepalm:

It wouldn't surprise me. Sucks, but I've come to expect inept from this FO.

Wow, there is literally no topic that you won't turn into bashing Kubiak or the FO, is there?

Wow, you ignore the myriad of other posts I have made on this board 9over the past few months) where I very well COULD HAVE mentioned it but chose not to. In fact, this is a rare time where I will "go there," and I just knew someone like you would jump at the chance to make mention of it.

You Soaper Man Crushers wouldn't have a job without us. All you do is run around like parrots, trying to be the newest guy to blast a soaper.

Congratulations: You're the guy who leeches off others' ideas/opinions.

Next?

So why don't you go and blast Double Barrel, too?

Hell, he's run circles around me on this topic.

Anywho, I can't stand chest puffers like you who leech instead of adding to the conversation. You wanted my attention, so now you got it. Notice how it wasn't the other way around?

Half the time I don't say anything on this board but somebody out there waves the Wanted poster in my face and thinks they're going to bring in the bounty on me. Just put me on ignore if it's that bad, OK?

Check my most recent posts, and scan them for about the past month...tell me how many of those I spend raging against the machine. Not very many. I been talkin' football and talkin' about players, etc. You misplayed your hand.

So why don't you go and blast Double Barrel, too?

Hell, he's run circles around me on this topic.

Anywho, I can't stand chest puffers like you who leech instead of adding to the conversation. You wanted my attention, so now you got it. Notice how it wasn't the other way around?

Half the time I don't say anything on this board but somebody out there waves the Wanted poster in my face and thinks they're going to bring in the bounty on me. Just put me on ignore if it's that bad, OK?

Check my most recent posts, and scan them for about the past month...tell me how many of those I spend raging against the machine. Not very many. I been talkin' football and talkin' about players, etc. You misplayed your hand.

You do love to grand stand don't you?
I really don't care if you like it or not. You are very clearly one of the leading bashers on this message board, and have been for a while.
I don't know what your recent history has been, but I do know that you have blasted the FO in many threads out of context to the thread topic, and plainly did so in this thread.
It get's old.
This opinion has nothing to do with DB, or any other member here. I've been a contributing member here for years, and very little of my contribution has EVER been critical of another member's opinions, or view points.
When I have an opinion, I'll state it. I don't put people on ignore. I tell them what I think. If you don't like it, you feel free to put me on ignore.

Your schtick is played out GP. Eveyone knows how you feel about the FO, trust me.

I'm not trying to tell you that you shouldn't carry on expressing your view point. By all means, exercise your right to do so.
Just as I'll exercise my right to tell you that you sound like a broken record.
I don't need to hold this conversation by PM like last time.
This is my opinion, and that's the opinion that I want expressed here for the entire community to witness.
Blast me, put me on ignore, call me names if you want to. It's all irrelevant. Your constant barrage of spewage lessens the enjoyment that I have on this message board, and I'm going to state my opinion whether you care for it, or not.

Back on point. Glad that Tate is going to be back, and though I'd hate for Ward to walk he'll likely have a better situation on another team then here and I wish him the best of luck if he chooses that route. Based on Slatons performances last year I'd rate him as a 4th RB, but someone else is going to have to beat him out to put him there, so if not he's the 3rd best RB we've got, untill he can fix whatever is messing with him.

Not sure why anyone thinks we shouldn't keep all four of Foster, Tate, Ward and Slaton if possible. Clearly that involves whether Ward gets offers to start which I doubt.

As much as I like Ward, I'd let him go.

I think we can spend our resources better...

I don't know, man. He seemed to be a great complement to Foster. They were a 1-2 punch that solidified the running game. Perhaps Tate can be that role now, but coming off an injury, we really don't know until it happens.

I'd much rather see them put resources into a proven commodity like Ward instead of blowing $3 million on Dan O.

Although, this is just my gut reaction, so I don't know what Ward could garner on the FA market, and as has been said above, if he even wants to be here behind Foster.

I just hope they get rid of Slaton. I saw nothing productive in that dude, and this team needs to develop a take-no-prisoners attitude about non-productive players (looking at you, JJ!...although he might be gone, too).

I just hope they get rid of Slaton. I saw nothing productive in that dude, and this team needs to develop a take-no-prisoners attitude about non-productive players (looking at you, JJ!...although he might be gone, too).

While understanding the underlying sentiment, I don't get the specific example. SS rushed for 4.9 ypc last year. You need back up RB's.

The important thing to consider is that Ward likely wants to leave to be a starter. I'm thinking the Texans want to keep him as the No. 2, but Ward is gonna look to go be a starter first IMO knowing that chance isn't available in Houston. He wants a starting spot and starter money...now if he's willing to be a backup again, the Texans would be wise to keep him.

While understanding the underlying sentiment, I don't get the specific example. SS rushed for 4.9 ypc last year. You need back up RB's.

Agreed.

Another thing to remember is that in 2010 Slaton was coming off of neck surgery that may have been more difficult to rehab from mentally than it was physically. I'm not making any prediction, but given another off-season to recuperate and get his confidence/sense of well being back, I'd at least like to see what he looks like in training camp and in the pre-season* before making the decision to jettison him.

* Assuming of course there is a training camp and/or pre-season!

I don't know, man. He seemed to be a great complement to Foster. They were a 1-2 punch that solidified the running game. Perhaps Tate can be that role now, but coming off an injury, we really don't know until it happens.

I'd much rather see them put resources into a proven commodity like Ward instead of blowing $3 million on Dan O.

Although, this is just my gut reaction, so I don't know what Ward could garner on the FA market, and as has been said above, if he even wants to be here behind Foster.

Agree with all points.........and would like to make one additional one. Even if Tate comes back close to effective form. how many RBs make it through an entire season. Trying to maintain the successful system of last year's offense will require TWO healthy EFFECTIVE RBs at all times. We lucked out last year. Without that "third wheel" last year, we wouldn't have likely enjoyed the scenery. Without that same "third wheel" this year, we may not be so lucky.

Agree with all points.........and would like to make one additional one. Even if Tate comes back close to effective form. how many RBs make it through an entire season. Trying to maintain the successful system of last year's offense will require TWO healthy EFFECTIVE RBs at all times. We lucked out last year. Without that "third wheel" last year, we wouldn't have likely enjoyed the scenery. Without that same "third wheel" this year, we may not be so lucky.

Doc, do you still feel the recovery potential for Tate to be in 85-95 % range?

"Minor" is relative. Simply put sh*t happens. That "third wheel" can quickly become very important.

Houston Texans running back Arian Foster underwent arthroscopic knee surgery Wednesday after sustaining cartilage damage during the Pro Bowl, the Houston Chronicle reported.

The procedure on Foster's right knee was reportedly minor and will require about three weeks of recovery time.
LINK

Interesting statistic. But, consider his average goes down to 3.8 if you take away his 23 yard run. Obviously, 19 carriers for 93 yards is not much to really go on. He never seemed very productive as a RB, and with the production from Foster and Ward, SS seemed anemic, at best.

Interesting statistic. But, consider his average goes down to 3.8 if you take away his 23 yard run. Obviously, 19 carriers for 93 yards is not much to really go on. He never seemed very productive as a RB, and with the production from Foster and Ward, SS seemed anemic, at best.

I'm not suggesting starting him or anything. Just saying keep him on the depth chart even as #4 RB (if you can re-sign Ward). He's cheap, he has become a good blocker and catches well. I don't see upgrading him without a draft pick we can better use elsewhere.

I forgot we had him. A productive Ben Tate can make our running game and offense even stronger. Let's face it, being a running back in the NFL is a fickle business. Arian Foster was great last season, but we need to keep him fresh and healthy. I think Ben Tate can do what Ward did for us and he has the talent to be a very good back in this league. Anyway, glad to hear that he's back and hope he can stay injury free and become a productive part of our team.

You do love to grand stand don't you?

This is all I read of your post, so don't sit there and gloat like a big boy thinking I respect you enough to read all of your drivel.

I am grand standing? LOL.

I never sought you out. You sought ME out. So I think we know who is grand standing. There are those who state opinions, and there are those who like to crack wise on those who state opinions. You need me a helluva' lot more than I need you, pal. As proven by your tactics.

YOU deviated from the discussion. YOU went personal. YOU added nothing to the mix, other than YOU grand standing and making a false statement about my post history. And I don't want any messages from any mods over this. YOU singled me out, YOU went after me. Not the other way around.

I never went after anybody on here with my post. I say a lot less about this stuff than Herv, for example, and yet you choose me. Get off my ass and move on.

I'm not suggesting starting him or anything. Just saying keep him on the depth chart even as #4 RB (if you can re-sign Ward). He's cheap, he has become a good blocker and catches well. I don't see upgrading him without a draft pick we can better use elsewhere.

It's not even a remote possibility as #4, as far as I am concerned.

He runs into piles and stays there like he's on a treadmill, usually makes his cutback to one side (Thunderkyss caught this and I watched and saw the same thing in future Slaton plays), fumbles even a kickoff return, and in general just looks like even HE knows he doesn't belong anymore.

If he's at #4, why is he here? I have to believe that should be the biggest sign that it's time to move on and let him go somewhere else. I think he's clamming up, I think he knows he's toast here. He'd HAVE to see three guys go down to injury in order to get the lion's share of carries.

When basically all you do is return kickoffs, and not really excel at it, then you know you're all but done on a team. Maybe he could go somewhere and reinvent himself. I'm not saying he's done 100%. I think he's done h-e-r-e. Happens al the time. Ward was done in TB, and look what he did here.

I think another UDFA (Jeremiah Johnson-type of guy) could add more value at #4 than Slaton is.

This is all I read of your post, so don't sit there and gloat like a big boy thinking I respect you enough to read all of your drivel.

I am grand standing? LOL.

I never sought you out. You sought ME out. So I think we know who is grand standing. There are those who state opinions, and there are those who like to crack wise on those who state opinions. You need me a helluva' lot more than I need you, pal. As proven by your tactics.

YOU deviated from the discussion. YOU went personal. YOU added nothing to the mix, other than YOU grand standing and making a false statement about my post history. And I don't want any messages from any mods over this. YOU singled me out, YOU went after me. Not the other way around.

I never went after anybody on here with my post. I say a lot less about this stuff than Herv, for example, and yet you choose me. Get off my ass and move on.

I am requesting that both of walk away from this thread and quite honestly don't respond to each other future since it this is not the first time and is obviously personal. Thanks in Advance.

Reactions: GP
I don't know how it finished, but Ward actually had a higher AYPC than Foster for much of the year. Ward may be a starter somewhere else soon though.

I'm usually all for giving players a chance, a second chance, and even a third. But if Ward was a starter, I think we'd know by now. Sure, you have your late bloomers, your Thomas Joneses, your Cedric Bensons, etc...

I'd also much rather have kept Ward than Slaton. But if Ward don't play special teams..... wait, what the hell am I saying?

Yeah, it would be par for the course if the Texans let Ward walk and kept Slaton.

We could finally have three capable RBs (Foster, Ward, and Tate) providing crazy depth at a position (RB) that you can't afford to be weak at in the NFL. It would be just like the Texans to get stoopid and somehow lose Ward by thinking they got Foster and Tate now. Oh, and the mighty Steve Slaton who everybody knows is going to emerge victorious in 2011. Barf.

At worst, you retain Ward and use him as trade bait throughout the camp and first part of reg season. Can the Texans do it? Can they actually use a very tradeable commodity, for once in their lives, and get something more than a 4th rounder? I doubt it.

Ward is an unrestricted FA. The Texans have no say in what that man will do. Chances are, after the season he had, other teams will be willing to give him a chance to be the starter. If I were Kubiak & Ward asked me if he would compete for the starting job, I would laugh my ass off.

What I would do, is go back to the FA board, or even the draft & look for someone to compete with Tate & Slaton for the #2 spot. Maybe we find another Ward...

Slaton's contract:

signing bonus: $664,000
(2008) $295,000
(2009) $385,000
(2010) $470,000
(2011) $555,000

At such a bargain, how can Bob resist taking a chance of letting go a "superstar?":kubepalm:

Because otherwise, he'll go to Tennessee & Babin us.

He runs into piles and stays there like he's on a treadmill, usually makes his cutback to one side (Thunderkyss caught this and I watched and saw the same thing in future Slaton plays), fumbles even a kickoff return, and in general just looks like even HE knows he doesn't belong anymore.

I think another UDFA (Jeremiah Johnson-type of guy) could add more value at #4 than Slaton is.

For the record, that was 2009, I didn't see the same thing in 2010.

I also don't believe we'll go into the season with 4 running backs. If Slaton doesn't cut it as #3, he'll be sitting on the couch waiting for us to call him.

If the RB UDFA class is as good as the Foster/Jeremiah class, he may never get that call.

I would, however, be disappointed if we don't bring serious, more than likely will replace Steve Slaton, competition in this off-season.

Doc, do you still feel the recovery potential for Tate to be in 85-95 % range?

Being medically cleared really doesn't tell you much about his potential for future performance.......only that he has attained about 85% strength in the affected leg compared to the uninjured leg, and that he is released to hard contact. This type of injury takes up to 2 years to maximally recover. How he actually performs on the field is not totally predictable due to the extensive ligament damage that typically accompanies such an injury. His ability to legitemately "return to action" is approximately 85-95%. I would expect that, in time, he will have close to the same potential to return to preinjury potential, but maybe not until nearer the mid to end of the 2011 season (if there is one).

Back