Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 02-23-2011   #1
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 101315 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Titans Hire WR Coach ?!?!?!?!? what the hell ????

EX QB Dave Ragone.............

The Titans have struggled at wide receiver since they moved to Tennessee and were still the Oilers, way back in 1997.

Mike Munchak’s choice as position coach for a group that now has some real promise with Kenny Britt and Damian Williams, then, sure seems curious. It’s Dave Ragone, the former Louisville and Houston Texans quarterback.

New offensive coordinator Chris Palmer joined Tennessee from the Hartford franchise of the UFL, and Ragone was his quarterbacks coach. That’s it for Ragone’s coaching experience.

Young coaches are the rage, and it’s unfair to simultaneously complain that Palmer, 61, is too old while Ragone, 31, is too young.

Still, what sort of clout will Ragone carry with someone like Britt, when he’s just nine years older and had no college or pro experience as a receiver?

“Dave came in and had a really good interview with us,” Munchak said in the Titans’ announcement. “He is a smart guy who Chris has worked with as a player and coach. He has a great understanding of offense and how it all fits together and I believe he will be a good fit for the receivers room. He will give them a different perspective and different approach to the game. There are a number of former college and pro quarterbacks that have become great wide receiver coaches and I think Dave will be another one in that group.”

I do see some college guys that fit that description -- David Culley (who’s in Philadelphia), Kippy Brown (Seattle), Jerry Sullivan (who spent the last six seasons with San Francisco and now looks to be retiring), Palmer himself. Help me out if you’ve got an NFL quarterback who fits the bill, though.

I’m left with this question, though I know Palmer will be very involved with Ragone: If Hall of Famer Bruce Matthews needs a veteran assistant in his offensive line room, will Ragone get one?

Other Titans staff news:

* Art Valero is the new assistant offensive line coach. He has 21 years of college experience and nine as an NFL assistant.
* Chet Parlavecchio is the new assistant special teams coach, replacing Marty Galbraith, who was let go. Parlavecchio played with Munchak at Penn State, has been an assistant at Temple but comes from a high school job in New Jersey.
* Arthur Smith as defensive assistant/quality control. He’s worked for the Redskins and Ole Miss.
* Tim Hauck, assistant secondary coach under Jeff Fisher, was let go. Secondary coach Marcus Robertson will be retained. He played for new defensive coordinator Jerry Gray in 1999-2000 when Gray coached the Titans defensive backs.

Really are the serious. good for us

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth
Old 02-23-2011   #2
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 31690 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Interesting. When Palmer was here, Ragone was the one QB who was capable (between the ears) of running Palmer's entire offense. He might make a good coach.

I don't think Ragone's short stay with the Texans is anything to judge him by. He excelled at every level he was given a chance - college, Euro league, etc. The fact that he never developed for the Texans is as much the fault of the team's love of Carr as it was his own. I was surprised Kubes didn't give him a chance instead of going after Sage right away.

Like I said, interesting.
Old 02-23-2011   #3
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 54609 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Titans Hire WR Coach ?!?!?!?!? what the hell ????

I wonder if the Titans fans are yelling about all the Texan connection hires?
Old 02-23-2011   #4
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 14067 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

It looks to me more like Palmer is grooming Ragone to be a coach, maybe for a future OC job is Palmer gets a HC job. If the Titans miraculously get a top 5 offense in a short amount of time its likely to happen
Old 02-23-2011   #5
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassHalfFull View Post
I guess they are Houston North now?

:P
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011   #6
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

I remember Ragone completed a pass to himself one game. Sounds qualified to me!

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011   #7
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

now we know who made THAT pick

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/5...-busts#page/11

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-23-2011   #8
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
I remember Ragone completed a pass to himself one game. Sounds qualified to me!
Sadly, if that was the Tampa Bay game that may have been the only pass he completed. Was a bad day at the office.
Old 02-25-2011   #9
toronto
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77616 toronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassHalfFull View Post
I'm too busy curling myself into a fetal position trying to avoid crying. I fear a nuclear winter on this one - I'm very pessimistic about these hires from start to finish.

If I want to see a 1990 Houston Oilers reunion, I'll go to youtube and watch any number of their frigging chokes.

Follow me @blakegk on twitter...the entertainment never stops...
toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011   #10
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101274 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't see how anyone could call this a bad hire right away. There are all kinds of guys that didn't play a certain position that become the coach of that position. Wasn't Kyle Shanahan our WR's coach at one point or wasn't he somewhere else or something like that. He certainly wouldn't seem qualified at any point to coach something like that and now he's an offensive coordinator. I've always thought it was a bit strange how certain guys that never played offensive line become coaches of offensive line at times, but it happens all over the NFL. The Titans need more talent at WR more than anything. They've been bottom feeders at that position ever since they lost Derrick Mason.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011   #11
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331336 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
I don't see how anyone could call this a bad hire right away. There are all kinds of guys that didn't play a certain position that become the coach of that position. Wasn't Kyle Shanahan our WR's coach at one point or wasn't he somewhere else or something like that. He certainly wouldn't seem qualified at any point to coach something like that and now he's an offensive coordinator. I've always thought it was a bit strange how certain guys that never played offensive line become coaches of offensive line at times, but it happens all over the NFL. The Titans need more talent at WR more than anything. They've been bottom feeders at that position ever since they lost Derrick Mason.
Agree generally with your overall point buy Kyle Shanahan played WR at UT.
Old 02-25-2011   #12
toronto
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77616 toronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
They had Britt and Moss. I would hardly call that 'bottom feeding.' Their coaches had no clue what to do with them, and their QB situation is a bigger problem now.

Follow me @blakegk on twitter...the entertainment never stops...
toronto is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read