Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 02-22-2011   #1
texanchris
Veteran

Rep Power: 3782 texanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Saints Release TE Shockey

Can never have enough tight ends. Make it happen Rick.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/po...jeremy-shockey
texanchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011   #2
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 99567 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Saints Release TE Shockey

Quote:
"It's a business, I understand," Shockey said. "I'll just go play hard for someone else. Whoever gets me it's going to be a steal."
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/s...e=NFLHeadlines

He's a pain in the ass, but if the price was right and very team friendly I'd do the deal. Someone is going to overpay for him though.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011   #3
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

You know what? I like the freaking ATTITUDE he brings to every team.

He is a trash-talking, get in your grill, and sometimes fight-starting dude. In addition, he can catch the ball and he can bang against defenders and grind out the hard yards.

IMO, I don't think Drew Brees (or perhaps their style or flavor of offense) uses the TE like ours does. I can't even begin to imagine the damage Shockey could do running the routes Owen Daniels runs.

Hell, put him AND Owen Daniels out there on 2 TE sets and have AJ out there with another WR maybe...shooooot, man. DAMAGE.

But it won't happen. We know this....very well.

I think age is a factor, of course. And not sure Kubiak would want someone as vocal and brash as Shockey. But of course that's just what the offense needs: A guy who will light a fire in some asses especially at during the first 3 qrtrs. of the game. Am I right, or am I right?

I'd be more for this move than any of the previous potential moves (Shaun Rogers, Atogwe, etc.). You know when you "hate" a guy that you'd love him on your team, with the exception of Fake Irishman, of course.
Old 02-22-2011   #4
RazorOye
Ayo

Rep Power: 43675 RazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respected

I love Shockey.

This was probably a tough decision - he was due a fair amount of money and with the development of Jimmy Graham and the versatility of David Thomas (esp. with the speculation that Heath Evans will be a casualty and Thomas has played the FB/Hback position for us when Evans was hurt), I guess Shockey became a casualty.

This news sucks - and tbh I thought he'd be here one more year.

He's still got gas. Fiery competitor. There were no reports of him being a liability in the locker room - so I wouldn't worry about the whole "character issue"

This was a $ decision.

They guy can block. He'll still catch. He'll probably get hurt so he's not a #1 TE - but Houston already has that.

I think for another season or two Shockey could really, really contribute
RazorOye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011   #5
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 99567 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

What's the point of spending draft pick after draft pick on the TE position?

I would rather throw those FA dollars at a real problem on this team.. Go after a legit veteran secondary player. If we don't sure up that back end, the same thing that happened last season would happen again next year.
Old 02-22-2011   #6
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 138918 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

I remember seeing Shockey leveling a Texan (live) in Canton oh so long ago. Everybody in the stadium knew the kid was a gamer then and there.
Old 02-22-2011   #7
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
What's the point of spending draft pick after draft pick on the TE position?

I would rather throw those FA dollars at a real problem on this team.. Go after a legit veteran secondary player. If we don't sure up that back end, the same thing that happened last season would happen again next year.
Agreed

But Rick and Gary are always on the lookout for an 8th string TE.

You know we dont need no stinking CB's or S on this team. Because the kids we got are good enough. Real playmakers LOL
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-22-2011   #8
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

If it means we don't waste another draft pick on a TE, sign him!
Old 02-22-2011   #9
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
If it means we don't waste another draft pick on a TE, sign him!
That's the thing.....we don't need him (not at the price he's going to command) or another TE draft pick. We are already solid at that position. He's also going to be looking for a big pay day, because it's going to be his last chance at a big pay day....he's 30 years old.

It makes absolutely ZERO sense to sign Jeremey Shockey to a big deal when the offense and the TE position is not a glaring need. This team has PLENTY of other needs where they need to be spending their FA dollars.

This screams of a "big name available, let's sign him" offseason thread.

Our first FA signing, second FA signing, and even third FA signing should ALL be on defense before they even take a look at the offense and when they do finally take a look at the offense #2 WR is a much bigger need than #2 TE.
Old 02-22-2011   #10
texanchris
Veteran

Rep Power: 3782 texanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That's the thing.....we don't need him (not at the price he's going to command) or another TE draft pick. We are already solid at that position. He's also going to be looking for a big pay day, because it's going to be his last chance at a big pay day....he's 30 years old.

It makes absolutely ZERO sense to sign Jeremey Shockey to a big deal when the offense and the TE position is not a glaring need. This team has PLENTY of other needs where they need to be spending their FA dollars.

Our first FA signing, second FA signing, and even third FA signing should ALL be on defense before they even take a look at the offense and when they do finally take a look at the offense #2 WR is a much bigger need than #2 TE.

My post was sarcastic, we dont need any more tight ends on the roster. Of course the texans should be looking at defense first but the uncertainty with the free agency makes things different. I agree, The FO should be looking at people who are free agents now (Atogwe, Rogers, Sanders) because of the CBA situation. All three of those players are at positions of needs and we're not even flying them into Houston even though one of them says it would be a fairy tale to play here.
texanchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011   #11
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 130706 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Shockey is a frickin crybaby.

All mouth and a play here and there.

Can't stay healthy.

Pass.
Old 02-22-2011   #12
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 127410 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

I've been tired of his act, for a long time.

Besides that, DeMeco would knock him the eff out!!!

Old 02-22-2011   #13
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 99520 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
I remember seeing Shockey leveling a Texan (live) in Canton oh so long ago. Everybody in the stadium knew the kid was a gamer then and there.
Yep, that was the Texans first ever game as you know. The guy can be a cancer on the field and locker room. As a Giants fan I always loved the guy however I remember him getting hurt and thinking the Giants season was over. However Eli started playing better without him being that distraction and they went on to win the SB.

Regardless it ain't happening. He doesn't meet the "soft" standard the Texans require out of their players.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011   #14
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I was only joking, but if the new CBA gets completed and they return restricted free agency to 4 years (or less), then Owen Daniels will become a free agent. I don't know what to think of TE 1 and 2 being Dressen and Casey. In that case, Shockey might be worth a look.
Old 02-23-2011   #15
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68323 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

**** him. Overrated and a prick.

No thanks.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011   #16
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Texans have TEs coming out of their waa-zoo, and have no need for this guy or anybody elses TE.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011   #17
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Many of you have short memories, I suppose.

Outside of Dreesen, we didn't have a competent TE in 2010. OD was hurt, Graham was hurt, Hill was hurt, and Casey saw very few snaps. Three TEs out of the lineup for significant time.

IMO, you cut Anthony Hill and move on from Bennie Joppru version 2.0. The situation might get sticky with Owen Daniels if what Dutch Rudder says is possible actually ends up happening. That leaves you with Graham (what has HE done? Looks promising, but ya know how that goes....). Leaves you with Dreesen, which is not too shabby. Leaves you with Casey who is more of an h-back player anyways.

In short, we have Dreesen and that's about it. With potentially Graham if he stays healthy and ends up being productive. Owen Daniels is still not feeling like a "for sure" thing to me.

In this case, it isn't as absurd to consider Jeremy Shockey as some have proposed on here.

He blocks, he runs routes, he has passion on the field. He's won a SB ring with the Saints. And all but won a ring with the Giants until he got hurt. How is this a horrible thing to consider the guy? It seems the Texans marketing department has psychologically influenced a lot of you to already dismiss a legitimate player by finding imperfections that aren't really a factor as it relates or doesn't relate to the player's skills.

The only thing that is really drawing my criticism of him is that he is 30-years-old, and we all know that the Texans are not looking at older guys anymore. I don't worry about his attitude. He managed to stay for three seasons under Drew Brees who is no softy when it comes to team leadership.
Old 02-23-2011   #18
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 127410 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

He's 30 and he's a douche. NO THANKS!
Old 02-23-2011   #19
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
He's 30 and he's a douche. NO THANKS!
Don't even have to give up a player or draft picks for him. There's another bonus.

The guy isn't Courtland Finnegan or Ocho Dumbo or Terrell Owens or anything. Come on, TB.
Old 02-23-2011   #20
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 125605 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
I've been tired of his act, for a long time.

Besides that, DeMeco would knock him the eff out!!!

QFT! I saw this rumble in action.

We should bring him in, let D-Ryans beat the piss out of him......again, then send him packin.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read