Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 02-24-2011   #21
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: No value at number 11

As I see it there are 6 high quality defensive players that would be options for us at #11, Von Miller, Robert Quinn, Patrick Peterson, Prince Amukamara, Nick Fairley, and Marcel Dareus. Cam Newton and Blaine Gabbert also stand a good chance of being selected in the top 10 along with A.J. Green and DaQuan Bowers. Julio Jones, Tyron Smith, and Cameron Jordan could all move up to the top 10 as well. Don't count out Justin Houston either, he might not move up to top 10 status but I think he'll move up the boards during the Combine. I think we stand a fairly good chance of getting one of those first 6 players I listed and if not then we're in the best position possible for a trade down. I think there's good value to be had at #11.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011   #22
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94100 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spled View Post
You can probably count on someone to skyrocket into the top ten based on putting on a freak show at the combine. Cornerbacks in particular elevate themselves when they start putting up sub 4:3 times. Top 20 boards will look different after the combine.
exactly. 1 or 2 guys ALWAYS shoot up draft boards & cause a shift in the guys we thought would be gone by the time we pick. i have a feeling prince is gonna be that guy this year & honestly i dont know how i feel about the prospect of drafting him...
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011   #23
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
exactly. 1 or 2 guys ALWAYS shoot up draft boards & cause a shift in the guys we thought would be gone by the time we pick. i have a feeling prince is gonna be that guy this year & honestly i dont know how i feel about the prospect of drafting him...
I'd take him....I think he has the potential to be a really good corner. Really good corners are not easy to come by.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011   #24
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94100 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I'd take him....I think he has the potential to be a .good corner. Really good corners are not easy to come by.
true, im just not sure how much of an immediate impact i think he'll make given last years fiasco & all the holes we have..i would much rather have our 1st rounder be spent in an area on the defense that will immediately have an impact in wade's style of 3-4...i.e. a LB or a d-linemen.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011   #25
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 13034 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

I'd really really like an interior lineman early in the draft. I personally hope someone will want to trade up and let us move back to pick one up
Old 02-27-2011   #26
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

well now that everyone is getting on julio jones after his impressive combine numbers, and nate solder. there is the possibility that both go in the top 10, this would be a huge plus for us meaning one of the top rated defence players drops.

however i would be so damn excited if we picked up julio jones at 11.
then trade up to sign houston, draft ian williams and duenta williams in the later round (ie. 3 onwards) and we are set.

OPTIMISM HAS ARRIVED!!!!!

GO TEXANS
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011   #27
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_texan View Post
well now that everyone is getting on julio jones after his impressive combine numbers, and nate solder. there is the possibility that both go in the top 10, this would be a huge plus for us meaning one of the top rated defence players drops.

however i would be so damn excited if we picked up julio jones at 11.
then trade up to sign houston, draft ian williams and duenta williams in the later round (ie. 3 onwards) and we are set.

OPTIMISM HAS ARRIVED!!!!!

GO TEXANS
God please no Julio Jones. He is the most over rated player in this draft. He's always hurt and he takes time to get to full speed. He will not be anything special in the NFL. If we do take him Kubiak and Smith deserve to be fired immediately after the pick.
Old 02-27-2011   #28
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
God please no Julio Jones. He is the most over rated player in this draft. He's always hurt and he takes time to get to full speed. He will not be anything special in the NFL. If we do take him Kubiak and Smith deserve to be fired immediately after the pick.
Dude, you should update your sig.
Old 02-27-2011   #29
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
he takes time to get to full speed. .
he ran 3rd fastest for WRs in the 40 and 5th in the 60 yard shuttle.
every single analyst be them journalists or scouts were amazed at his athleticism.

im not sure where you getting the idea of him being a bust from but from what i see from everyone else's comments on him, his going to be a beast in the nfl.

of course there are going to be busts but you cant predict that. from what people have seen from him in college and combine the kid is going to be a player.
Old 02-27-2011   #30
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

how can you not fall in love with this guy.

people say we need toughness and this guy brings it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KO8Wf0VKip4

takes time to get to full speed???
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRXBr...eature=related

dare i say best offence in the league if we pick him up?

YES I DO lol
Old 02-27-2011   #31
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 17475 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

I wouldn't be opposed to drafting Julio Jones if he falls to us, BUT wehave too many needs on defense to be taking a WR in the first round. No question about Julio Jones's talent and overall ball skills.
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011   #32
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan4Ever View Post
I wouldn't be opposed to drafting Julio Jones if he falls to us, BUT wehave too many needs on defense to be taking a WR in the first round. No question about Julio Jones's talent and overall ball skills.
yeah i have to agree.

even though i sound like we definitely should draft him,

we have to many needs on defence so unless the FO have some amazing trick up their sleeve then i would have to go for a defensive pick in the 1st
Old 02-27-2011   #33
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_texan View Post
dare i say best offence in the league if we pick him up?

YES I DO lol
This isn't fantasy football. There are only so many touches an offense can get in a game. In an offense where you already have an 100+ reception WR, a Pro Bowl caliber TE, and the league's leading rusher, how many touches would Jones get? What good will another top WR do, if the defense can't get the ball back to the offense?

Eventually, a defense will control the LOS and get to the QB. This offensive line is OK, but hardly great. This defense has to get to at least the mediocre level for this team to have a chance to win now. Not after another 5 year rebuilding job. Now. And this defense has to be fixed now for that to happen.
Old 02-27-2011   #34
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
This isn't fantasy football. There are only so many touches an offense can get in a game. In an offense where you already have an 100+ reception WR, a Pro Bowl caliber TE, and the league's leading rusher, how many touches would Jones get? What good will another top WR do, if the defense can't get the ball back to the offense?

Eventually, a defense will control the LOS and get to the QB. This offensive line is OK, but hardly great. This defense has to get to at least the mediocre level for this team to have a chance to win now. Not after another 5 year rebuilding job. Now. And this defense has to be fixed now for that to happen.
dont take it too seriously i was just having a bit of fun.
if u read the above post i say that we need to go defence in the 1st. all i was doing was saying how much of a beast julio jones is and could you imagine the damage that could be done.

just something to brighten my day up because im in the middle of summer and its raining outside
Old 02-28-2011   #35
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96562 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post

#2 WR is as big of a need as any other position on this team. I don't think we should spend a first rounder on the position, but it needs to be addressed in the middle rounds or in FA.

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 02-28-2011 at 01:02 PM.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011   #36
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Part of what got us to this point (aside from coaching) is taking need over BPA. While I actually do like a lot of our draft picks... going forward I don't want us to pass on superior talent to address need.

I think our WR position needs some spark to it. Yes AJ is the best, but he's been injured. Walter is a good possession receiver, Jacoby is hit or miss, Dickerson is a complete unknown, Anderson is a solid bubble player.... the WR position is not necessarily an area of strength for us.

I too would 'hate' to pass on the Defense in the 1st for a WR.... but I'm not going to support taking an OLB or CB at 11 just so we can fill a need.

There's just so much uncertainty from our perspective to know the best thing to do. If they rate Julio Jones as a very similar player as one of the OLB's or DE's or whatever... I understand taking the biggest position of need. If they rate Julio Jones a Top 5 talent in the draft and the defensive players available to measure up to his overall ranking, I will have no problem with them taking Julio.

I think he would be an awesome awesome addition to the team.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011   #37
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

And for those that don't think there's enough touches to go around, here was the reception distribution last year...

WR Andre Johnson - 86
RB Arian Foster - 66
WR Kevin Walter - 51
WR Jacoby Jones -51
TE Owen Daniels - 38
TE Joel Dreessen - 36

Schaub threw the ball 574 times last year and had 365 receptions. I think Kubiak would love to have a playmaker like Julio Jones to add to the mix.

Notable rookies last year that had decent receptions:

Mike Williams - 65
Jordan Shipley - 52
Dez Bryant - 45
Brandon Lefell - 38
David Gettis - 37
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011   #38
OrdinaryAvgGuy
Rookie

Rep Power: 47 OrdinaryAvgGuy is a quality contributor and well respectedOrdinaryAvgGuy is a quality contributor and well respectedOrdinaryAvgGuy is a quality contributor and well respectedOrdinaryAvgGuy is a quality contributor and well respectedOrdinaryAvgGuy is a quality contributor and well respectedOrdinaryAvgGuy is a quality contributor and well respectedOrdinaryAvgGuy is a quality contributor and well respectedOrdinaryAvgGuy is a quality contributor and well respectedOrdinaryAvgGuy is a quality contributor and well respectedOrdinaryAvgGuy is a quality contributor and well respectedOrdinaryAvgGuy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
And for those that don't think there's enough touches to go around, here was the reception distribution last year...

WR Andre Johnson - 86
RB Arian Foster - 66
WR Kevin Walter - 51
WR Jacoby Jones -51
TE Owen Daniels - 38
TE Joel Dreessen - 36

Schaub threw the ball 574 times last year and had 365 receptions. I think Kubiak would love to have a playmaker like Julio Jones to add to the mix.

Notable rookies last year that had decent receptions:

Mike Williams - 65
Jordan Shipley - 52
Dez Bryant - 45
Brandon Lefell - 38
David Gettis - 37
It is important to remember that Andre played through that high ankle sprain all year, though. So those numbers are probably a little skewed from the norm.
OrdinaryAvgGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011   #39
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 122497 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe we can drop the bum Jacoby for the unproven Julio? I'm good with that.

I think we will get a good player at 11.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011   #40
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Dude, you should update your sig.
I do! Just too lazy.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read