Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 02-21-2011   #1
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Garrett Hangs with Coack K to Get Pointers

I like the way Garrett has gone about assembling his staff and doing his business so far. I hate Duke but Coack K is a good person to study.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-with-coach-k/

Quote:
As Jason Garrett prepares for his first season as head coach of the Dallas Cowboys, he decided to spend some time watching and learning for the head coach of one of the premier college basketball programs in the country.

According to DukeBluePlanet.com, Garrett spent the weekend in North Carolina with the Duke Blue Devils and coach Mike Krzyzewski “to check out how Coach K runs his program and leads his team.”

It should be viewed as a positive sign by Cowboys fans, given that the prevailing view of the team is that someone must provide real leadership in order to get the franchise back to elite status. The top two candidates are quarterback Tony Romo and Garrett.
http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dal...krzyzewski.ece

Old 02-21-2011   #2
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Garrett Hangs with Coack K to Get Pointers

Ah geez, at first I thought you meant Coach Kubiak.

Was not associating college basketball coach ("coach k") with helping out an NFL coach.

Definitely had a long, sustained (15-second or so) WTH? type of moment there.

LOL. I wonder how many others will do the same thing upon first glance.
Old 02-21-2011   #3
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33836 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Good move by coach Garrett and I like coach K.
Old 02-21-2011   #4
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 183543 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know how much more basketball coaching pointers will translate into football for Garrett, any more than tires translated to football for Cushing.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011   #5
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
I don't know how much more basketball coaching pointers will translate into football for Garrett, any more than tires translated to football for Cushing.
I think it was more coaching style and leadership according to other articles I read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Ah geez, at first I thought you meant Coach Kubiak.

Was not associating college basketball coach ("coach k") with helping out an NFL coach.

Definitely had a long, sustained (15-second or so) WTH? type of moment there.

LOL. I wonder how many others will do the same thing upon first glance.
I didn't even think of that..just didn't want to spell his name!
Old 02-22-2011   #6
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Seems like he visited Jimmy awhile back to to prepare. At least he is trying to pick brains. I like to see that.

http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/02...-deserves.html

Quote:
What did you think about the Jason Garrett hire? Jason is a very passionate coach, very intelligent. He's prepared himself well for this opportunity. He came down to the [Florida] Keys a couple of years ago and spent some time with me, just getting ready for the time he was to become a head coach. He's prepared himself well. I see where he's hiring Mike Woicik, my strength coach, who has six Super Bowl rings. Jason's doing it the right way. I think they'll be a drastically improved team over what they were a year ago.
Old 02-22-2011   #7
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 302162 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm more impressed with visiting JJ and he should be trying to talk to Cowher, Shottenheimer, maybe Parcells. Coach K just seems to be of limited value since the sports are so different and he is amateur rather than pro.
Old 02-22-2011   #8
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I'm more impressed with visiting JJ and he should be trying to talk to Cowher, Shottenheimer, maybe Parcells. Coach K just seems to be of limited value since the sports are so different and he is amateur rather than pro.
The bolded I agree. I like that he is looking at leadership qualities but agree that coaching kids is alot easier from a respect factor than coaching pros who make millions. I do like the initiative though. I think it is important for players, coaches, etc to always try and be upping their game.
Old 03-01-2011   #9
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Just an update..insight into their thoughts

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dal...kable-guy_.ece

Quote:
“He’s a remarkable guy,” Krzyzewski said during his Monday conference call. “Humble. We really enjoyed our three days together. I loved visiting with him throughout because it’s like talking to another head coach even though it’s a different sport. I was really impressed with him as the person he was and [he’s] sharp. Humble. Really a fantastic guy.”
Quote:
Garrett gushed to media members about the time spent around Krzyzewski and his program, using the word "amazing" several times to describe the trip.

“I think you’d be hard pressed over the last 30 years to find an organization, in or out of sports, college or pro, whatever it is, that has been more successful than Duke Basketball,” Garrett said last week. “We literally could talk about this for five days I learned so much. He has an amazing way of creating an environment that is so organized, so systematic, so seamless, the execution and everything they do is off the charts.

“He also has this amazing personal touch with everyone involved in the organization. He has a personal relationship with everybody. He cares deeply about everybody. They care about each other.”

Added Garrett: “It’s a combination of IBM at its finest moments and the greatest mom and pop shop you’ve ever seen and he puts it together. I sat there for three days and was really amazed by it. It inspired me a great deal.”
Old 03-01-2011   #10
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 58645 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Seems like insecurity to me. I just dont understand the value of a move like this, unless its pure publicity
Old 03-01-2011   #11
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Seems like insecurity to me. I just dont understand the value of a move like this, unless its pure publicity
I'm not sure what any of it has to do with publicity or insecurity. Garrett is a Princeton guy. He already coached for part of a season. He is just picking brains. He visited Jimmy too. He is just seeing how winning coaches operate. Shula said that John Wooden was a coaching hero to him. Parcells is buds with Bob Knight.

Speaking of Wooden, many coaches from different sports used him as an example

http://www.bakerpublishinggroup.com/...0E9A7A4143C40E

Quote:
"I only spent three years at UCLA while Coach Wooden was still coaching, but I received a lifetime of positive influence from being around him. I leaned on what I learned from him many times throughout my career. !"--Dick Vermeil, former Philadelphia Eagles, St. Louis Rams, and Kansas City Chiefs head coach
Old 03-01-2011   #12
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 58645 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
I'm not sure what any of it has to do with publicity or insecurity.
Everything has to do with publicity. Why would these be news worthy, unless he make them so. Its a good publicity move regardless. You want to see your coach trying to get better in every way possible.

If it wasn't for publicity, it would worry me that it was an insecurity. The guy knows his job isn't safe. The cowboys are a problem. He inherited a 1 win team. There was no where to go but up. Now he has a bar and he has to go above it in order to maintain his position. He doesn't seem to have an amazing coaching pedigree. He seems like he's seeking advice from a wide variety of people. That speaks of insecurity to me
Old 03-01-2011   #13
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Everything has to do with publicity. Why would these be news worthy, unless he make them so. Its a good publicity move regardless. You want to see your coach trying to get better in every way possible.

If it wasn't for publicity, it would worry me that it was an insecurity. The guy knows his job isn't safe. The cowboys are a problem. He inherited a 1 win team. There was no where to go but up. Now he has a bar and he has to go above it in order to maintain his position. He doesn't seem to have an amazing coaching pedigree. He seems like he's seeking advice from a wide variety of people. That speaks of insecurity to me
I don't see any of that at all. In fact it seems really far fetched. When I first posted this it was basically a non-story. Just a report that Garrett was observing Coack K for 3 days. The fact that he didn't just show up, take pics and watch one practice tells me it was more than publicity. If you know anything about Garrett you know that he couldn't give a rats ass about publicity. No one knew that he spent time with Jimmy Johnson until Johnson brought it up during the SB. So the publicity angle just doesn't jive with who Garrett is.

As for insecurity. If you were insecure would you take over a team and change everything about their routine, make players wear pads on practice days, fine guys for no suit and tie to games, etc?Doesn't sound insecure to me. Sounds like a guy with a plan. He has been the offensive coordinator of a Top offense for multiple seasons. I've had complaints about his play calling but he is far from an insecure guy.

This is just from following him, listening to guys like Aikman, Jimmy and others talk about him and from seeing his pressers, etc. My brother, who works for the Boys, said the rumor was he was willing to walk if not given some control. So I don't see that as insecure. I think he is just about always finding an edge and improving.

All that said, I'm not claiming him to be some great coach yet. Alot to prove in my book but I like what he is doing. That is all.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read