Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-22-2011   #61
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 48117 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Wake up call needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky View Post
Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.
what are you talking about?

I'm not suggesting, like I was last year, that I have a ton of confidence that the team will win 10+ games next season. I'm simply disputing the idea that the Texans are destined to fail indefinitely with Bob McNair as an owner.

Also, in regards to free agency this season, It appears the organization is looking at it more aggressively. This is based on Bob McNair and Rick Smith speaking differently about it and also based on some information I received from a guy with a good source that says McNair is adamant about making some waves in free agency, particularly on defense.
Old 02-22-2011   #62
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33836 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

So, are current free agents allowed to sign with a team right now?
Old 02-22-2011   #63
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6655 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
So, are current free agents allowed to sign with a team right now?
Yes, but anybody who had a contract with an NFL team last year is not yet a current free agent.
TexCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011   #64
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 282778 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
How do you think Steeler fans felt about their prospects in the late 1960s... Or, do you think most Patriots fans were anticipating the turnaround they saw after Parcells left, Carroll was fired, and that loser from Cleveland (Belicheck) was hired to replace them. Oh, and I bet they weren't exactly doing cartwheels when Bledsoe went down with an injury with a 1-3 record and all they had as a backup was a second year, 6th round pick out of Michigan who couldn't even beat out a freshman in his senior year at Michigan for the starting position.
Yikes. Where to even begin...

First, comparing the Texans to any team pre-Super Bowl era is simply silly. So much has changed about managing teams that it's not even a valid comparison. Free agency, collective bargaining, revenue sharing, salary caps, etc., have fundamentally changed how teams are managed.

And I'm not sure if your mention of the Steelers is a good example, all of the obvious changes in pro football mentioned above aside. Are you suggesting that we should expect one playoff appearance in 39 years? Teams reverse fortunes very quickly in the modern NFL. Think years instead of decades.

In addition, Chuck Noll was the 14th head coach of the Steelers when hired. Think about that for a moment.

As far as the Patriots, this is really kinda' goofy. The Pats had been to TWO Super Bowls before hiring Belichick. How does this even remotely compare to the perpetually mediocre Texans franchise?? (Something else about the Patriots: they did not have consistent success until they had a new owner with Robert Kraft in 1994. Hmmmmm......)

If you need a team for comparison, look at the Lions or the first twenty years of the Saints. And continue to dig a little deeper and look at the desperation of the fans of those teams for a clue into the growing apathy in Texans nation.
Old 02-22-2011   #65
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33836 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexCanada View Post
Yes, but anybody who had a contract with an NFL team last year is not yet a current free agent.
That would include Rogers, and Sanders then?
Old 02-22-2011   #66
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6655 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Ya, those two could be signed right now.
TexCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011   #67
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If they have already been released from their team (Rogers or Sanders or Atogwe) then they can be signed right now. If they have an expiring contract it appears the lockout will happen one day before the contracts expire and then there is no team/player contact so there will be no (legal) activity with those players.
Old 02-22-2011   #68
gary
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
If they have already been released from their team (Rogers or Sanders or Atogwe) then they can be signed right now. If they have an expiring contract it appears the lockout will happen one day before the contracts expire and then there is no team/player contact so there will be no (legal) activity with those players.
I see there is a slight difference between being cut and letting a contract exspire. Got it, thanks.
Old 02-22-2011   #69
maddogmrb
All Pro

Rep Power: 7744 maddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by srrono View Post
Are the Texans aware the offseason has started? Even my great grandmother knows the Texans need significant personal moves on the defensive side of the ball due to change of scheme and frankly because the defense was just bad last year.

One position of need is safety and two big name safeties are now on the market. Another position needing a upgrade is NT there is a big name NT on the market as well. I am not saying we have to sign OJ Atogwe, Bob sanders, or Shaun Rogers but the Texans should be bringing these players in for a look and a conversation. If one of the three would fit here then that is one less position needed in the draft.

Sanders to visit Jaguars today.
Atogwe will meet with the Washington Redskins.
Rogers has met with Washington,Kansas City, and New Orleans.

The Texans are yet to have a visit from any player.

link
They're not TE's!
maddogmrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011   #70
maddogmrb
All Pro

Rep Power: 7744 maddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respected

Actually, I'm really surprised they're not making a strong attempt at Sanders. He fits the team's FA strategy perfectly: an often injured veteran who will probably never contribute.
maddogmrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011   #71
gary
Hall of Fame

These are not the type of players you spend top dollar for with Rogers having a bad attitude and Sanders probably on his way out of the NFL.
Old 02-22-2011   #72
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 48117 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Yikes. Where to even begin...

First, comparing the Texans to any team pre-Super Bowl era is simply silly. So much has changed about managing teams that it's not even a valid comparison. Free agency, collective bargaining, revenue sharing, salary caps, etc., have fundamentally changed how teams are managed.

And I'm not sure if your mention of the Steelers is a good example, all of the obvious changes in pro football mentioned above aside. Are you suggesting that we should expect one playoff appearance in 39 years? Teams reverse fortunes very quickly in the modern NFL. Think years instead of decades.

In addition, Chuck Noll was the 14th head coach of the Steelers when hired. Think about that for a moment.

As far as the Patriots, this is really kinda' goofy. The Pats had been to TWO Super Bowls before hiring Belichick. How does this even remotely compare to the perpetually mediocre Texans franchise?? (Something else about the Patriots: they did not have consistent success until they had a new owner with Robert Kraft in 1994. Hmmmmm......)

If you need a team for comparison, look at the Lions or the first twenty years of the Saints. And continue to dig a little deeper and look at the desperation of the fans of those teams for a clue into the growing apathy in Texans nation.

I'm not comparing the Texans with those teams. My point is that a few disappointing seasons does not mean the Texans organization will never become like the Steelers and Patriots, as Lucky was asserting. My point is that those fan bases probably felt pretty pessimistic before their success as well. I'm not predicting similar success but I'm arguing that it is conceivable. Further, I do not believe the Texans organization is run anywhere nearly as poorly as Washington, Detroit, Oakland despite the fact that their 9 year run hasn't been much more successful than those teams.

By the way, 9 years of bad to mediocre football as an expansion team hardly makes the Texans equivalent to the Detroit Lions.
Old 02-22-2011   #73
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm not comparing the Texans with those teams. My point is that a few disappointing seasons does not mean the Texans organization will never become like the Steelers and Patriots, as Lucky was asserting. My point is that those fan bases probably felt pretty pessimistic before their success as well. I'm not predicting similar success but I'm arguing that it is conceivable. Further, I do not believe the Texans organization is run anywhere nearly as poorly as Washington, Detroit, Oakland despite the fact that their 9 year run hasn't been much more successful than those teams.

By the way, 9 years of bad to mediocre football as an expansion team hardly makes the Texans equivalent to the Detroit Lions.
We will have to agree to disagree.

I remember all of the back and forth arguing last offseason. When the soapers predicted the Texans would fall on their face. After McNair foolishly extended Kubiak. It's actions like this that makes the majority of the fan base question whether BoB has the will to bring a winner to this city. After all there is no financial incentive for him to do so.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011   #74
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3658 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Texan View Post
Allright Couch Coaches WAKE UP Its Time for you to prove you know better than the front office and how you should be handed the golden whistle. If you think they are sleeping then I will need whatever your taking cause I am on a track to reach new highs.
the same couch coaches that have proven your blind faith wrong time and time again.

sorry if we take your homering garbage with a grain of salt

as for why they aren't making any moves in Free Agency, we all know why. it's not part of 'the plan'. the same plan that has given us crap for going on a decade....but whatever Joe Texan. just remember to keep your pompoms moving and to keep the cheers going. maybe you will get voted 'superfan' again....hahah superfan my ass.

but go ahead and keep fighting the good fight. at least marcus is on your side. the next time that guy has a legitimate take on the Texans will be the first time. Marcus, you give Dark Side Of The Moon a bad name.

we should be on the phone with Nmandi and Rogers and this bullcrap about 14 hour days working on free agency.....hahah that is just precious. its hilarious that some of you are so naive you actually believe they looked anywhere but the annual dumpster dive for 'bargains'....while other teams (with much more of a history of making competent moves) are going after players that can actually make a difference.

its not so much what the Texans are going to do to fix things but more what the Texans are going to do to further screw the pooch. But at least after Gary fails again, and again, we will have good ole Wade Phillips to lead us. The same Wade Phillips that most of you homers made fun of when he was on our 'rival' the Cowboys but now that he is on the Texans he is the cat's freaking meow.

i have been to many cities and i have to say that we have some loyal fans but also by the same token some of the most oblivious and most naive fans in the league.

Cowher in 2012. Fire McNair, the Braindead Billionaire.
Old 02-22-2011   #75
gary
Hall of Fame

Some here want a free agent if they are not that good anymore or overpayed. You'd take another A. Green or Colvin give me a break.
Old 02-22-2011   #76
playa465
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1969 playa465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respected

I really think the uneasiness of the CBA negotiations is the culprit...teams will not be apt on signing FAs until the know the particulars (like salary cap) etc...Crazy Al locked up Seymour which was good, but he jeopardized signing Nnamdi Asomugha, Robert Gallery, Michael Bush and Michael Huff. I suspect most teams will take the wait and see approach...other than franchising and releasing players, I dont think their will be much movement.
playa465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011   #77
gary
Hall of Fame

Wait and see for Asomugha, Bailey or Grimes are free agents whenever that will be.
Old 02-22-2011   #78
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Wait and see for Asomugha, Bailey or Grimes are free agents whenever that will be.
and Richard Marshall, Cromartie, Eric Wright, Brandon Carr, Ike Taylor... among others.

or, at Safety, guys like... Quentin Mikell, Roman Harper, Eric Weddle, Goldsdon, Atari Bigby, Daniel Manning.

or DE/DTs like Cullen Jenkins, Shaun Ellis, Ray Edwards, Marcus Spears, Alan Branch, Aubrayo Franklin, B. Mebane, Ngata (probably not)

or OLBs like Kiwanuks, Bryan Robison, V.Abiamiri, C. Gocong, Hali (probably franchised)

or ILBs like Chad Greenway, David Harris, S.Tullock, Dqwell jackson, Kirk Morrison, Kevin Burnett, and others.

tons of talent on defense will be available!
Old 02-22-2011   #79
gary
Hall of Fame

Quote:
and Richard Marshall, Cromartie, Eric Wright, Brandon Carr, Ike Taylor... among others.

or, at Safety, guys like... Quentin Mikell, Roman Harper, Eric Weddle, Goldsdon, Atari Bigby, Daniel Manning.

or DE/DTs like Cullen Jenkins, Shaun Ellis, Ray Edwards, Marcus Spears, Alan Branch, Aubrayo Franklin, B. Mebane, Ngata (probably not)

or OLBs like Kiwanuks, Bryan Robison, V.Abiamiri, C. Gocong, Hali (probably franchised)

or ILBs like Chad Greenway, David Harris, S.Tullock, Dqwell jackson, Kirk Morrison, Kevin Burnett, and others.

tons of talent on defense will be available!
The Texans just have to be active and go after these guys.
Old 02-22-2011   #80
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 282778 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I didn't say they were equivalent. I just advised that if you must make comparisons, the Lions are closer to the Texans than the teams you used for examples.

I certainly hope that McNair isn't as incompetent as the Lions owner, but up to this point, he's proven very little in that regard.

And at what point do you give up the "expansion" tag? You do realize that we're almost a decade into this thing now, right?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read