Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-18-2011   #1
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Per Herring: Cushing at inside LB

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...n-new-defense/

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ar...8-366d2a02af1e
Old 02-18-2011   #2
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6655 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Per Herring: Cushing at inside LB

Very interesting. We desperately need help at OLB if this is the case.
TexCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011   #3
valleytexfan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 275 valleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Von Miller and Barwin OLBs?
valleytexfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011   #4
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

yep demeco more or less said the same thing last week.. theyve obviously been told about it. im good with it. a crew of barwin, demeco, cush & von miller/robert quinn/aldon smith/akeem ayers etc would be a nice set of LB'ers
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011   #5
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleytexfan View Post
Von ain't gonna be there at 11.
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011   #6
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

To me Cushing is very much a niche player, and his specialty is clearly as a 4-3 SAM, and in addition using the 15th overall pick on a 3-4 ILB is a waste of resources though of course that wasn't origionally the Texans intentions for Cushing.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011   #7
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Had we known we would be in a 3-4 in Cushing's 3rd season methinks the staff would've taken Clay...

But Cushing will be a heck of a player for us regardless of where he plays because he will have a huge chip on his shoulder coming off the suspension and sophomore slump that followed his stellar rookie season.
Old 02-18-2011   #8
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleytexfan View Post
They need to realize, it's this year or bust. Go for broke and trade up to get Miller. Can't imagine any FA OLB or draft pick that would have the skills to match Miller's/ Clay Mathews Jr. style.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011   #9
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 38426 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84 View Post
They need to realize, it's this year or bust. Go for broke and trade up to get Miller. Can't imagine any FA OLB or draft pick that would have the skills to match Miller's/ Clay Mathews Jr. style.
It will likely mean trading up to #4 at least. If they do that, I hope you are right about his ability. I am not so sure he is a top 5 player.
Old 02-18-2011   #10
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 197817 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Seems to be the only wise move. Just to be in correct position for plays and being "adjusted," Cushing needs to be a hand's reach from Demeco at all times. His "free lancing" decision making last year didn't exactly demonstrate very consistent good judgement.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011   #11
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

I guess this is where I second guess the decision. One, Cushing is better moving upfield and attacking rather than waiting and reacting. Two, the Texans have only Barwin (who has never played LB before) ready to play on the outside. Three, it's easier to find a 3-4 ILB than a 3-4 OLB in the draft or free agency. I just don't see how Phillips can look at Cushing's film and think he's a better fit inside than outside.
Old 02-18-2011   #12
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I guess this is where I second guess the decision. One, Cushing is better moving upfield and attacking rather than waiting and reacting. Two, the Texans have only Barwin (who has never played LB before) ready to play on the outside. Three, it's easier to find a 3-4 ILB than a 3-4 OLB in the draft or free agency. I just don't see how Phillips can look at Cushing's film and think he's a better fit inside than outside.

That is what I was thinking as far as Cushings role on the team..

The only thing I can really think of though is the fact that Cushing is so big and he's pretty athletic for his size...

I can see him playing the strong ILB and essentially being the "stand up DT". Taking on the blocks and clogging the lanes and letting Demeco be the clean-up man...

He'd also command attention on the inside on blitzing situations...It wouldn't allow teams to just focus on the outside rush...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011   #13
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
To me Cushing is very much a niche player, and his specialty is clearly as a 4-3 SAM, and in addition using the 15th overall pick on a 3-4 ILB is a waste of resources though of course that wasn't origionally the Texans intentions for Cushing.
We disagree. Using our #11 in 2007 on a 3-4 ILB was not a waste of our resources. If anything, it may have been the only good pick we made in the last 5 years.

Signed,
The San Francisco 49ers.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011   #14
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This!
Still to have a good 3/4 you have to have quality LB's. Im hoping/praying we can trade down just a little and come out of this draft with Justin Houston (6-3, 260 4.65 Georgia) in the first and Martez Wilson (6-3, 260 4.60 Illinois) in the second. Both these guys along with Cushing should be interchangeable inside or out. That kind of versatility could be a real key to an 18 game season. It also adds alot of speed and toughness. (Im just not sold as many of you are on Barwin being able to step right in and make the transition especially after that horrific injury and all the time off he's had because of it.)

Then find a way to get a couple of these guys
Phil Taylor 6-3.5, 337 5.25 Baylor
Stephen Paea 6-1, 295 4.95 Oregon State
Marvin Austin 6-2, 312 5.00 North Carolina
Kenrick Ellis 6-4, 340 5.05 Hampton
Jarvis Jenkins 6-4, 310 5.00 Clemson
Jerrell Powe 6-2, 320 5.15 Mississippi
Sione Fua 6-1.5, 310 5.15 Stanford (NT)
Ian Williams 6-1, 310 5.15 Notre Dame

and were starting to look like a real 3/4. of course this means we have to go hard and heavy after secondary players in FA.

But alas this is the Texans we are talking about so you you they are going to throw us a curveball and draft Jimmy Smith CB Colorado in the first. I think he's going to be a good player but we'll reach for him to early.
Old 02-18-2011   #15
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
That is what I was thinking as far as Cushings role on the team..

The only thing I can really think of though is the fact that Cushing is so big and he's pretty athletic for his size...

I can see him playing the strong ILB and essentially being the "stand up DT". Taking on the blocks and clogging the lanes and letting Demeco be the clean-up man...

He'd also command attention on the inside on blitzing situations...It wouldn't allow teams to just focus on the outside rush...
You are working pretty well my friend

Herrring and I quote

Well, I think the first rule of thumb is don’t get locked into a thought and put yourself in a position where you say, ‘This is the only place they can play.’ We have to have flexibility, and initially until we work out the kinks and find the proper places for everybody, where they can be the most productive for this team, we’re probably going to take a look at Brian inside at the Mike ‘backer position, strongside on the tight end, and then DeMeco will be the weakside Mo inside ‘backer. (They’ll be) the Mike and the Mo, two inside guys. We’ve got to take advantage of what we see in Brian Cushing as a tremendous anchor on the tight end side as far as securing the box physically in the run game, and then using him in our package to pressure and blitz him on the inside. At Dallas, Bradie James, same position, led the NFL in inside linebackers in sacks. He had eight in one year in this package from blitzing inside. So the numbers are there, the opportunities will be there.
Old 02-18-2011   #16
JimBaker488
Veteran

Rep Power: 106 JimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respected

The heart of the 3-4 is the backers on the outside because unlike in the 4-3 they are the primary edge-rushers and the Texans are so screwed at that position right now because the only guy who really looks like a fit is Barwin and he has (1) only played defensive football 2 years, and just one of those in the NFL and he's only played DE in the 4-3, so he has no 3-4 experience (2) he's coming off of a very serious season-ending injury from 2010 and nobody really knows when he'll be ready to go ?
JimBaker488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011   #17
SoCalTexanFan
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 SoCalTexanFan was voted MVPSoCalTexanFan was voted MVPSoCalTexanFan was voted MVP

This tells me that last year wasn't a slump for Cush and the reality is Cush rookie season was performance enhanced. He was no where near the player he was in his rookie year. RB's were dropping him like crazy on pass rushes and he couldn't take on the takle. The strength of the 3-4 is the outside LB and the fact they are putting him inside instead tells me a lot.
SoCalTexanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011   #18
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11524 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

to me this has bad news written all over it

we should ditch some of these 4-3 guyz and get some 3-4 players

yeah some of the guyz we get will not have the Name value but they will be blue chippers
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011   #19
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
Herring and I quote

"We’ve got to take advantage of what we see in Brian Cushing as a tremendous anchor on the tight end side as far as securing the box physically in the run game, and then using him in our package to pressure and blitz him on the inside. At Dallas, Bradie James, same position, led the NFL in inside linebackers in sacks. He had eight in one year in this package from blitzing inside. So the numbers are there, the opportunities will be there.
I think they plan on using Cushing as an attacking player. It sounds like he will be bumping tight ends and occupying lineman in the majority of running situations. Then Herring said that they will use him to blitz from the inside on pressure packages.

That seems like Cushing's best fit IMO. We don't have anyone else on the team that can be an imposing strong side backer like Cushing. Besides isn't that what he was drafted to be, regardless of it is in a 3-4 or 4-3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBaker488 View Post
The heart of the 3-4 is the backers on the outside because unlike in the 4-3 they are the primary edge-rushers and the Texans are so screwed at that position right now because the only guy who really looks like a fit is Barwin and he has (1) only played defensive football 2 years, and just one of those in the NFL and he's only played DE in the 4-3, so he has no 3-4 experience (2) he's coming off of a very serious season-ending injury from 2010 and nobody really knows when he'll be ready to go ?
Good news is highlighted in this thread. Assuming DeMeco recovers fully from his injury, we have two good inside linebackers to start with.

Bad news is that your right we have nobody to play OLB. Notice they mention Jesse Nading. Lol @ that. Jesse Nading? That guy is first on my list to get cut. I'm surprised they didn't mention Mark Anderson as an asset in pressure packages, considering he is all that we have outside of Barwin at that position.

We are going to need to add atleast 3 guys to play OLB. It would be ideal to get one early in the draft and then sign the best available FA. I don't think we will be able to get Miller and it would be unwise to trade up for him considering where our pick falls in the draft. I think there is a real possibility for a trade down scenario this year, and a guy like Dareus, Quinn, or even Miller could fall. Crazier things have happened.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011   #20
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 63514 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBaker488 View Post
Barwin's injury came so early in the season that the odds of a full rehab by now are high. He's also a naturally versatile player who develops fast. We lost a major weapon for 2010 when he went down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalTexanFan View Post
This tells me that last year wasn't a slump for Cush and the reality is Cush rookie season was performance enhanced. He was no where near the player he was in his rookie year. RB's were dropping him like crazy on pass rushes and he couldn't take on the takle. The strength of the 3-4 is the outside LB and the fact they are putting him inside instead tells me a lot.
Cushing was drug tested throughout his rookie season and progressively improved game after game.

In 2010, he had the most tackles per game of the front seven. The entire defense just sucked in general.

Placing Cushing at ILB tells me they're looking for someone faster on the outside. Cushing's job will mostly remain the same: Eat up the TE.

I think our first pick will be Akeem Ayers at OLB.

Last edited by Brisco_County; 02-19-2011 at 12:30 AM.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read