Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-19-2011   #61
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Eugene Wilson, Andre Davis, 3 others released

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
Eugene and Pollard are one of the main reason why our secondary sucks ..... One down one two go !!!!!!!!!!!!!
i wouldnt mine if pollard stays. in a 3-4 he would be more used against the run and not need to cover as much and we all know how good he is against the run.

if we get a ballhawking cover free safety and CB then ill be happy with pollard and i think he could return to 2010 standard and not have the responsibility of covering and be dominate against the run.
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011   #62
Grams 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 24274 Grams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
And I never understood why we were using Slaton instead of Davis on returns. I never really understood the knock against Davis in general.
Maybe because Davis was on IR all of last year?
Old 02-19-2011   #63
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: [Berman] Texans release Wilson, Davis, others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
Well that frees up about a fifth of what we need per year to sign Aso!!!!!!! LOL, now go pay the man Rick!!! You know if Aso walked of the plane to meet the Texans with Nike's with "Pay me Rick" I think I'd be OK with it......
Whatever it takes to get ASO/Bailey etc... here.

Move Quin to FS and draft McDaniel in the 2nd rd.

The secondary would look much better next yr.

Davis was a really good gunner on ST's and that's why the ST's weren't as good last yr.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011   #64
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 82342 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Whatever it takes to get ASO/Bailey etc... here.

Move Quin to FS and draft McDaniel in the 2nd rd.

The secondary would look much better next yr.

Davis was a really good gunner on ST's and that's why the ST's weren't as good last yr.
Steelb, while I agree that AD was a good gunner and was missed on ST's last year, I don't think that's the main reason they sucked so badly last year. I feel it was very much a group effort. From Turk being the league leading shankopotomus to returners, punts & kickoffs, that couldn't get back hardley ever past the 25 yd line! Yes, a group effort indeed. ;^)

I hope they fill up a charter plane with UDFA punters next season and find a boot in the bunch.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011   #65
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
Steelb, while I agree that AD was a good gunner and was missed on ST's last year, I don't think that's the main reason they sucked so badly last year. I feel it was very much a group effort. From Turk being the league leading shankopotomus to returners, punts & kickoffs, that couldn't get back hardley ever past the 25 yd line! Yes, a group effort indeed. ;^)

I hope they fill up a charter plane with UDFA punters next season and find a boot in the bunch.
Group effort, agreed

Man they were bad last yr

A plane full of UDFA punters,that would be an interesting flight. LOL

I'm on board with bringing in a plane full though.
Old 02-19-2011   #66
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34423 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Reed has one more year left on his contract.
Old 02-19-2011   #67
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
He filled in adequately for AJ a couple of years ago. Did he ever drop balls or incorrectly run routes?
That read harser than I meant it today versus last night. anyway Andre Davis went on IR before the season started.
Old 02-19-2011   #68
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Possibly the decision has been made to move Glover Quin to FS replacing Wilson?

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011   #69
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Possibly the decision has been made to move Glover Quin to FS replacing Wilson?
Seems that way.

Wonder who's going to replace Quin at CB?

Are they going to draft another CB in the 1st. Or are they going to sign a Vet FA CB?

If we knew those answers then we would know what their draft board is looking like.
Old 02-19-2011   #70
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202148 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Seems that way.

Wonder who's going to replace Quin at CB?

Are they going to draft another CB in the 1st. Or are they going to sign a Vet FA CB?

If we knew those answers then we would know what their draft board is looking like.
If the Texans knew those answers then they would know what their draft board is looking like.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011   #71
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frak The Jags View Post
Apologies if it was posted. I didn't see it on the front page.

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/spor...elease-players

Texans' five cuts saved the team $9.7 million in projected 2011 salary. Andre' Davis ($4.7M) and Eugene Wilson ($3.56M). Nice.
There's year one for Champ Bailey now let's go get Asomugha
Old 02-19-2011   #72
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 240492 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekLee1 View Post
We have at least 5 quality receivers already on the roster WITHOUT Davis: AJ, KW, JJ, DA, and DD. Why keep paying starter money to a 6th wideout who doesn't even return kicks anymore?
I'm fine with cutting Davis. If we aren't using him, we aren't using him. My question is "why aren't we using him?"

Bob ( & many of his patrons here) point to the excellent offense we had in 2010, but when we needed to score, we came up short, often. There isn't another WR on this team with world class speed other than Andre, except Andre. We should have been using that. Jacoby is a playmaker, but we can't seem to get the ball in his hands.... (drops non-withstanding).

Maybe it's just my perception. But I would have thought an offensive guru would be creative enough to spread the ball much better than we did. Torry Holt, Isaac Bruce, Az Hakim & a bunch of other receivers were deadly, but Faulk was able to get more than enough touches.

Just sayin'
Old 02-19-2011   #73
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 240492 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by run-david-run View Post
Right, other than that 34-24 beat down. The Colts aren't the AFC standard anymore and their offense (when not playing the Texans) isn't at 2004 levels. It's time we pick a new team to mold ourselves in the image of (Pittsburgh, perhaps?)
My point about Indy, when they were the model, they scored when they needed to. Early & often, which allowed their defense to be aggressive, to bend but not break..... we've been crying about how poor our defense has been all year.

Indy has had some terrible defenses. The Greatest Show on turf has had some horrible defenses. Statistically, the Patriots' defense wasn't all that great. Yet those teams make it to the play-offs.
Old 02-19-2011   #74
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 38426 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I'm fine with cutting Davis. If we aren't using him, we aren't using him. My question is "why aren't we using him?"

Bob ( & many of his patrons here) point to the excellent offense we had in 2010, but when we needed to score, we came up short, often. There isn't another WR on this team with world class speed other than Andre, except Andre. We should have been using that. Jacoby is a playmaker, but we can't seem to get the ball in his hands.... (drops non-withstanding).

Maybe it's just my perception. But I would have thought an offensive guru would be creative enough to spread the ball much better than we did. Torry Holt, Isaac Bruce, Az Hakim & a bunch of other receivers were deadly, but Faulk was able to get more than enough touches.

Just sayin'
Here is your answer VVVVVVV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
That read harser than I meant it today versus last night. anyway Andre Davis went on IR before the season started.
Old 02-19-2011   #75
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202148 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

In preseason, Davis sustained what was sometimes referred to as a "hip injury" and sometimes as a "tailbone injury." Looking back now, it is very probable that he dislocated or fractured his coccyx (tailbone) and had the classic accompanying severe "hip" pains. The problem with such an injury is that even after "healing" which can take over a year, movement at the dislocation or fracture site can still occur, very commonly causing chronic unrelenting debiliatating pain with progressive arthritis. Not a great type of injury for an athlete such as a bicyclist or a runner (which a WR is), since with even no additional direct trauma, intense repeated movements of the hip joint can be excrutiating.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011   #76
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
I would have kept Bing he played well when he was healthy.
Bing does not fit the new system at all, he was a fit in the old style defense, if you could call it a style.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011   #77
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 63514 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grams View Post
Maybe because Davis was on IR all of last year?
Let me rephrase: Why weren't we using a hobbled Andre Davis instead of Slaton on returns?
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011   #78
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34423 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
Bing does not fit the new system at all, he was a fit in the old style defense, if you could call it a style.
Wilson and Davis were amongst my favorite players though. Bummer.
Old 02-20-2011   #79
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 101421 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
Call me crazy, but I think we need another receiver. The crew we have is not backing up AJ enough. And, I'm about ready for Jacoby to be gone. This is like the third year we are waiting for him to "mature" and break-out.
i agree about needing more depth at WR. I think someone in place of DA. i like the guy but speed and size isnt there. he's like the rotten cousin u cant get rid of all summer. I do like what i saw in Dorin Dickerson though, reminds me so much of AJ. I was hoping they woulda gave him more shots last season especially when we were out of the play-offs.
Old 02-21-2011   #80
RagingBull
Hall of Shame

Rep Power: 3847 RagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
. Jacoby is a playmaker, but we can't seem to get the ball in his hands....
RagingBull is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read