Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-18-2011   #1
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Yahoo: Reliant Ranked #16 (and a dig at the team)

Don't shoot the messenger. It's the offseason so I thought this topic would be good to post. The guy has only been to a small amount of the stadiums but is going off of what he has seen on TV and what others have told him too. Lambeau is 1. Dallas 2. Houston 16, which I don't get.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...e_nfl_stadiums

Lam
Old 02-18-2011   #2
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 46441 dc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ranking NFL Stadiums

This is what they said about Reliant

Quote:
The architecture is outstanding and the amenities are first class, but the venue lacks any legitimate history and is populated by fans who have never seen their team qualify for the postseason.
So it's not really ranking the stadiums as much as it is the franchise....
Old 02-18-2011   #3
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_txtech View Post

Haha, I hear you. I partially agree with the author too though. Reliant isn't a place people really WANT to go travel and see. Don't get me wrong, it's really really nice. But it doesn't pop out to me if my team were traveling and I wanted to go to an away game. Places like Labeau... Wrigley Field... etc Something about the history of it makes it enticing.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011   #4
BIG TORO 
TERADACTYL #23

Section: Bull Pen!
Rep Power: 17946 BIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respected

This is stupid, Last year there was an article saying reliant came in 3rd behind Cowboys and Ravens. I know our stadium is alot better than what this stupid article says!

Sig Courtesy of False Start
BIG TORO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011   #5
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 110127 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_txtech View Post

No kidding! Right? If they are going to rank a stadium, rank the stadium for crying out loud. I believe that Reliant is better than the Superdome but I can at least understand the bonus points for being near Bourbon Street (in my poll those points would get cancelled out because the whole thing is in New Orleans, though)

Oh well, it's just a web ranking. Tailgating should have bumped us up though.
Old 02-18-2011   #6
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

It took me a while to figure out that there are only 31 stadiums in the NFL cause the Jets and Giants share. This is why I shouldn't drink beer at 11am...
Old 02-18-2011   #7
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected

article says Texans stadium is directly across from the "SuperDome" LOL
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-19-2011   #8
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 94442 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post
No kidding! Right? If they are going to rank a stadium, rank the stadium for crying out loud. I believe that Reliant is better than the Superdome but I can at least understand the bonus points for being near Bourbon Street (in my poll those points would get cancelled out because the whole thing is in New Orleans, though)

Oh well, it's just a web ranking. Tailgating should have bumped us up though.
The Superdome is a shiitehole, no literally, there's good reason the refugees went there
Old 02-19-2011   #9
RazorOye
Ayo

Rep Power: 38001 RazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
The Superdome is a shiitehole
while I think "shithole" is a bit strong a term for the Superdome, it was in dire need of changes - even since the changes made following Katrina.

The exterior now looks much better - with the roof work and the new exterior panels.

They are investing 85 million in interior renovations and the exterior grand staircase to get ready for the Saints, the BCS Championship and the NCAA Final Four next year and the 2013 Super Bowl:

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf...ome_facel.html

Quote:
Workers are making drastic changes to the lower bowl of the stadium, reconfiguring it to increase seating by 3,500, widening the plaza concourse, building two bunker club lounges and adding additional concession stands.

"Phase by phase, this will be a brand new stadium," Saints owner/executive Rita Benson LeBlanc said.

"We are completely tearing out the existing steel deck bowl and replacing it with a pre-cast concrete deck. It's a reconfiguration of the seats. The seats are moving closer to the field, more in line with the NFL standard of today. There will be 3,500 new seats in the lower bowl."

Plans also call for two 7,500-square-foot bunker lounges on each side of the stadium. The lounges will be equipped with flat-screen TVs, granite counter tops and full-service bars. The lounges will serve 4,500 fans, whose old plaza seats will be upgraded to premium tickets, giving those fans leather chairs with cup-holders.

The concourses on the plaza level also will be extended, closing in space between the concourse and plaza seating to add new restrooms and concession areas.

Also, the plaza outside the stadium at Gates A and C will be widened, making it easier for fans to get into the Dome. And all elevator cabs will be upgraded.

"In the 36-year history of this building, we are about to see the most visible and transformable change that we have ever seen," said Doug Thornton, the regional vice president of SMG, the company that manages the Dome
here are some renderings of the changes:

long overdue, imo, and I'm glad to see the changes coming!
RazorOye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011   #10
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 75563 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorOye View Post
while I think "shithole" is a bit strong a term for the Superdome, it was in dire need of changes - even since the changes made following Katrina.

The exterior now looks much better - with the roof work and the new exterior panels.

They are investing 85 million in interior renovations and the exterior grand staircase to get ready for the Saints, the BCS Championship and the NCAA Final Four next year and the 2013 Super Bowl:

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf...ome_facel.html

here are some renderings of the changes:

long overdue, imo, and I'm glad to see the changes coming!
Looks really nice. So long shithole. ;^)

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011   #11
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 110127 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

So it gets upgraded to feces depot, big deal.
Old 02-19-2011   #12
Koolaid Time
Drink Up!

Rep Power: 1346 Koolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respected

I still don't get the "attraction" as to why I should pay thousands of dollars over a season to go to a Football Stadium and sit in a 'Bar in the Club Level' and watch the game on a wide screen TV.....

When I could go to Kay's Lounge, Griff's Pub or my Brother-in-Law's Media Room and watch the game on a 60 inch LED TV for free and drink far less expensive alcohol.
Koolaid Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011   #13
Kimmy 
RealGirls LvFB!

Section: 321
Rep Power: 18204 Kimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Yahoo: Reliant Ranked #16 (and a dig at the team)

Link

Quote:
16. Reliant Stadium (Houston Texans)

Seating Capacity: 71,500
Playing Surface: Grass
Opened: 2002

The first facility in the NFL to have a retractable roof, Reliant Stadium is the exact opposite of the Superdome.

The architecture is outstanding and the amenities are first class, but the venue lacks any legitimate history and is populated by fans who have never seen their team qualify for the postseason.

Give the people something to cheer about, and Iíll bump you up. Until then, nothing here really stands out. Sure, the actual stadium is nice, but how often do you hear people talking about Reliant the way they talk about Qwest or Lucas Oil?
Old 02-20-2011   #14
OrangeLotPole8
Veteran

Section: Bullpen 116
Rep Power: 3716 OrangeLotPole8 is a quality contributor and well respectedOrangeLotPole8 is a quality contributor and well respectedOrangeLotPole8 is a quality contributor and well respectedOrangeLotPole8 is a quality contributor and well respectedOrangeLotPole8 is a quality contributor and well respectedOrangeLotPole8 is a quality contributor and well respectedOrangeLotPole8 is a quality contributor and well respectedOrangeLotPole8 is a quality contributor and well respectedOrangeLotPole8 is a quality contributor and well respectedOrangeLotPole8 is a quality contributor and well respectedOrangeLotPole8 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Yahoo: Reliant Ranked #16 (and a dig at the team)

I read that about an hour ago, was surprised, I thought the stadium would be higher ranked than middle of the pack.
Old 02-20-2011   #15
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 62963 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Lame (not your post). Reliant is top notch.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS PUSHED IT
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011   #16
Imatexanfan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1227 Imatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I read that yesterday being ranked in the middle of the pack with rest of those losers. I really thought we should have been ranked at least in the top 3 but hey that goes to show how the "rest" of the NFL sees our beloved Texans organization...then takes a low blow because we haven't made the playoffs yet...wow...
Imatexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011   #17
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
2. History: Has the joint opened recently and never hosted a playoff game (i.e. Houston), or do you get chills when exiting the concourse and viewing the field thinking about what has taken place there (i.e. Chicago)?

3. Weather: Football was meant to be played outdoors, so the domes are going to take a slight hit in the rankings. This also applies to tailgating. It’s easier to grill burgers and pound beers in San Diego than it is in Minnesota
what I don't get with #3 is that, I thought I have heard that the NFL tells the Texans if they can have the roof open or not.

#2. I guess they don't sit by or take the same exit as TB
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011   #18
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 165989 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
what I don't get with #3 is that, I thought I have heard that the NFL tells the Texans if they can have the roof open or not.

#2. I guess they don't sit by or take the same exit as TB
I don't believe that is correct. The NFL has only dictated a uniform policy of all moveable roof stadiums.............within 90 minutes of game time, the decision must be made to have the roof open or closed. If the game begins with the roof closed, the roof must remain closed for the entire game. If during the game, officials close the roof due to adverse or changing weather conditions, officials cannot reopen the roof and it must remain closed for the rest of the game.

The only other rules apply to the last 5 minutes of a game and for overtime.........During the final five minutes of the fourth quarter of any regular play game, officials cannot close the retractable roof regardless of adverse or changing weather conditions. If the game goes into overtime, the officials cannot close the roof anytime before or during the sudden death overtime game play. However, if the weather becomes hazardous to fans and players, like in the case of lightning or hail, NFL officials can decide to close the roof for everyone's protection.

Each team makes their own criteria for determining their initial decision for closed or open roof.

The vertical construction of Reliant has made it such that it becomes a relative "hot box" during medium to high temperature days, especially when the sun is out. Even when present, very little wind gets into the stadium to cool things off. Thus the 80 degree cutoff determined by the Texans. Bowl shaped, more horizontally constructed stadiums, are very much "heat friendly."
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011   #19
ubecool454
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1157 ubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by blogkimmy View Post
The guy that wrote that article invited fans to respond by email. Well I sent him one and he did respond. "Thanks for reaching out and for reading the article. I completely understand that most people
disagree with what I've written and get your point that I haven't been to most of the stadiums.

But at the same time, I tried to make it clear that this article was just in fun and meant to stir a debate. I
understand people are passionate about their teams, but my intention was never to offend anybody.

Thanks again for reaching out. I appreciate it."

Joe Fortenbaugh
National Football Post.com
ubecool454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011   #20
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 55298 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
16. Reliant Stadium (Houston Texans)

Seating Capacity: 71,500
Playing Surface: Grass
Opened: 2002

The first facility in the NFL to have a retractable roof, Reliant Stadium is the exact opposite of the Superdome.

Give the people something to cheer about, and I’ll bump you up. Until then, nothing here really stands out. Sure, the actual stadium is nice, but how often do you hear people talking about Reliant the way they talk about Qwest or Lucas Oil?
I actually agree with this assessment completely. Superior architecture for practical needs, if not very expressive or interesting. Incredible tailgating, but the team has no significant history. I think he ranked it correctly.

A strong history like a couple of Superbowl wins and regular playoff appearances would move Reliant into the top five.

I think he also ranked the top three accurately. Seattle's stadium is impressive.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read