Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-15-2011   #1
Texans34Life
I BLEED TEXANS!

Rep Power: 1365 Texans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Shaun Rogers visiting Chiefs, says he wants to play for Texans

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...medium=twitter

Shaun Rogers' contract was recently terminated by the Cleveland Browns.

His reputation was also damaged by a disappointing season last year where he struggled with injuries and he drew criticism from Browns general manager Tom Heckert, who referrred to him as a different kind of cat in comments to the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

Rogers recently visited the Washington Redskins.

He's visiting the Kansas City Chiefs today, according to ESPN and Pro Football Talk.

Rogers, whose nickname is "Big Baby," recently discussed his outlook with KILT Radio in Houston, per SportsRadioInterviews.com.

"No it didn’t," Rogers said when asked if he was surprised he was released. "It’s one of those things that come with the territory when you’re a veteran guy like myself. These kinds of things are going to happen. I would just hope that my track record would speak for itself. Unfortunately last year I played through some injuries against some advice from my agent Kennard (McGuire).

"He probably would’ve liked to see me sit down a little bit ‘till I was fully there. We’re competitors in this game and guys go out there and try and give there all excluding all circumstances. I think I did alright with what I was asked to do this year. My goal right now is to get healthy and look into any opportunities.”

The Browns wound up reducing Rogers' snaps significantly last season.

"The problem with me getting hurt last year, one of my young proteges, Ahtyba Rubin, showed great promise and they wanted to get him on the field," Rogers said. "They moved him to nose and we had a little rotation where I would go in at end and he would play nose and that’s just what it was. I was kinda banged up this year so I had a little more spot play than usual, but years previous to that I’ve been blessed and I’ve been one of the few guys in this league that I would consider a three-down guy. T

"he league is getting specialized as far as guys playing two downs and bringing in other guys in third down situations. You see that a lot in the league. In my career I’ve been blessed and had the ability to do both. I’m just looking to get healthy and go out there and play at a level where I played at for many years which I consider to be one of the upper levels or a Pro-Bowl level.”

A former University of Texas standout whose agent is based out of Houston, Rogers said he would like to play for the Texans.

“Like I said it would be most definitely a fairy tale situation," Rogers said. "But again you just look forward to exploring all opportunities and hopefully whoever reaches out to me and wherever I go it will most definitely be a positive experience.”

HoustonTexans4Life - 2010-2011 CHAMPION of TexansTalk Survivor and TexansTalk Pick'em
Texans34Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011   #2
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 52823 dc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Shaun Rogers visiting Chiefs, says he wants to play for Texans

Quote:
“Like I said it would be most definitely a fairy tale situation," Rogers said. "But again you just look forward to exploring all opportunities and hopefully whoever reaches out to me and wherever I go it will most definitely be a positive experience.”
Sounds to me like he's going to the highest bidder.
Old 02-15-2011   #3
texanfan2002114 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 615 texanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_txtech View Post
You might be right but I like the fact that we already have a great relationship with his agent Kennard McGuire. Kennard is the agent that Andre Johnson hired when his uncle screwed him on the contract and Kennard was able to restructure Dre's deal with the Texans.

He told Dre to go to camp and he would take care of the deal and he did. Hopefully the Texans can strike another deal with Kennard and get Rodgers in H-Town!!
texanfan2002114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011   #4
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 125942 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_txtech View Post
If you're right Rodgers wont be a Texan.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011   #5
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 133852 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll go ahead and change my stance that the Texans "NEED" to sign Rogers as long as it isn't for some insane amount of cash just to show the fans that they're actually "trying" to build a winning team. When you've got a guy like this and he's publicly saying he wants to come here and your management team of Smithiak still can't strike a deal and sell this team's potential, then what else more can you say really? We are pretty much past that stage with Smithiak any way, but hell there's a huge DT screaming that he wants to come here and we just went out and got a big name DC, so the least Mcnair and Smithiak could do is bring in some more talent to turn the defense around quickly if winning means a damn thing. Although with all of that being said the Texans seem like the perfect destination for Rogers to land at where he'd continue his laziness and loafing ways where he's over weight and lacking desire.

Haley so far in a very quick amount of time has proven that he can land players and coaches on his team. The guy can sell potential and where they plan on going. Crennell is also the guy that helped to make the trade happen to bring Rogers to Cleveland so they have their relationship that already exists. I'd say they have a very good chance at getting a deal done knowing the history of the last two seasons on what Haley's been able to accomplish in the off season. The Texans have only proven that the opposite. Haley doesn't put up with jack either as far as players not applying themselves. He'd probably be a great HC to have for a guy like Rogers if he can motivate him the way he motivated Dwayne Bowe.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011   #6
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 27679 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

Sign him up.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011   #7
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222742 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

I dont believe any FA action can take place until they get the CBA situation solved , supposedly this affects about a quarter of the leagues players.

I'd give him a shot for the right money tho.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-15-2011   #8
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10049 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Shaun Rogers visiting Chiefs, says he wants to play for Texans

If he will agree to a low paying incentive heavry contract, done deal. If he wants a payday, well, sorry.
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011   #9
texanfan2002114 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 615 texanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I dont believe any FA action can take place until they get the CBA situation solved , supposedly this affects about a quarter of the leagues players.

I'd give him a shot for the right money tho.
Your right but your also wrong. He is currently a FA since being cut outright last week and he has until March 3rd to sign a deal or he will have to wait until after the CBA is done to get a deal.

From what I have read, he wants to get a deal done with a team before March 3rd, so you might be able to get him cheaper now because he is rushing into a deal.

"Rogers is a free agent and he can sign with any team through March 3. If/when a lockout commences, Rogers won’t be able to sign with anyone.

As a result, he’s expected to sign somewhere before March 3."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-shaun-rogers/
texanfan2002114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011   #10
steds
Veteran

Rep Power: 330 steds is a quality contributor and well respectedsteds is a quality contributor and well respectedsteds is a quality contributor and well respectedsteds is a quality contributor and well respectedsteds is a quality contributor and well respectedsteds is a quality contributor and well respectedsteds is a quality contributor and well respectedsteds is a quality contributor and well respectedsteds is a quality contributor and well respectedsteds is a quality contributor and well respectedsteds is a quality contributor and well respected

How's he played in the last couple of years? Not really seen/heard much since his first year in Cleveland.
steds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011   #11
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54086 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by steds View Post
How's he played in the last couple of years? Not really seen/heard much since his first year in Cleveland.
Not great but he has been hammerd by injuries recently and tends to have motivational problems but he should still have a few good years left in him.
Old 02-15-2011   #12
RagingBull
Hall of Shame

Rep Power: 3847 RagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respected

Man is this Deja Vu from the Schobel deal that never happend or what? Aging, productive veteran, wants to play for the Texans, Rick Smith won't pay them... Eeerily similar.
RagingBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011   #13
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 129410 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingBull View Post
Man is this Deja Vu from the Schobel deal that never happend or what? Aging, productive veteran, wants to play for the Texans, Rick Smith won't pay them... Eeerily similar.
Even with hindsight, that is a pretty slanted statement.
Brain Cushing
JB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011   #14
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 133852 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee_In_TX View Post
If he will agree to a low paying incentive heavry contract, done deal. If he wants a payday, well, sorry.
Sean Rogers has always been sort of like a Haynesworth type of player without the violent rages where he goes off. Just like Haynesworth he's more of a contract type of player that can't be counted on if he's got a lot of money coming in. I don't see why he'd go with an incentive based contract when he'll get some pretty good money from some team out there.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011   #15
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17600 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

im not worried im sure Wade and his team is looking at every NT from top 2 bottom right now and will get the guy he likes .... and we will sign him when the time is right
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011   #16
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

The good news, Rick Smith has done deals with his agent before.

The bad news, do you really think the Texans will sign a name free agent to help the defense? Or a big NT?

Old 02-15-2011   #17
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 125942 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
im not worried im sure Wade and his team is looking at every NT from top 2 bottom right now and will get the guy he likes .... and we will sign him when the time is right
Nice to see you have such confidence.
Old 02-15-2011   #18
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingBull View Post
Schobel was either retiring or playing for the dollar amount he wanted (whether that was a fair number or not is speculation that has been over talked about here). Rogers is out with multiple (10 is a number I saw) teams where he is visiting and trying to guage the best place for him. Does not seem that similar to me at all.
Old 02-15-2011   #19
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
Even with hindsight, that is a pretty slanted statement.
I dont see it as slanted, more like the cold hard truth.

BTW, I'm for not signing Rodgers. Unless the contract is team friendly. However N.D. Kalu speaks very highly of Rodgers. They used to workout every morning at 5:30 am. Kalu says Rodgers is a very hard worker. This has made me re-think my position.
Old 02-15-2011   #20
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by texans_chick View Post
the good news, rick smith has done deals with his agent before.

The bad news, do you really think the texans will sign a name free agent to help the defense? Or a big nt?

lol

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read