Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

View Poll Results: When do you think the Labor Agreement will be finalized?
Before the Draft 4 8.33%
After the Draft but before OTAs 2 4.17%
After OTAs but before Training Camp 11 22.92%
During Preseason 7 14.58%
Into the Season weeks 1-3 6 12.50%
Into the Season weeks 4-6 7 14.58%
Into the Season after week 6 5 10.42%
Cancel the season 6 12.50%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-13-2011   #1
Hagar
Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Rep Power: 8880 Hagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default When do you think the Labor Agreement will be finalized?

Just curious what everybody's thoughts are on the subject?

I believe everybody's going to have to lose some money first before a deal will be done.

I hope I'm wrong.
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011   #2
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 172517 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: When do you think the Labor Agreement will be finalized?

Into the Season after week 6 is what I voted. I'll believe an agreement when I see it. I hope I'm wrong. I'll be ecstatic if I'm wrong.

Old 02-13-2011   #3
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post
Into the Season after week 6 is what I voted. I'll believe an agreement when I see it. I hope I'm wrong. I'll be ecstatic if I'm wrong.

Ditto. Both sides will actually have to suffer financially before an agreement is reached. Greed will rule the day.
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011   #4
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the season gets canceled, unfortunately. It does not seem like either side will budge. I hope I am proved wrong though.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011   #5
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
I think the season gets canceled, unfortunately. It does not seem like either side will budge. I hope I am proved wrong though.
Me too. I think it's gotta hit them in the wallet before there are any moves. As everyone knows the owner's wallets are the deepest so until players start getting squeezed there'll be no product on the field.

I hope we're both proven wrong.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011   #6
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 110804 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherstang84 View Post
Ditto. Both sides will actually have to suffer financially before an agreement is reached. Greed will rule the day.
I'm guessing week 4.

The problem is the owner are still going to get their TV $$$$. So there is no urgency on their side.

DeMaurice Smith isn't a NFL guy and is going to drive a hard bargain. Smith looks at the NFL as a stepping stone position into politics. So untill the players put Smith on notice (probably after they start missing game checks and missing child support payments etc...) no deal is going to get done.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011   #7
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
That's how I voted.

The owners won't budge. They won't concede any ground to the players.

I actually think there shouldn't be a draft if they don't have a new deal. How is that appropriate, to draft guys when there might not even be a season?

I know the argument is that you have to act as if things will be cleared up, so you gotta' go about business as usual to stay on track for having camp, preseason, and a reg season...it just is going to be weird to watch the draft and think those guys might not even PLAY.
Old 02-14-2011   #8
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

A Texans SB with scabs.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011   #9
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
A Texans SB with scabs.
Jared Zabranski at QB.

Jonathan Wells at RB.

Bennie Joppru at TE.

Andre Davis at WR.

That'd be hilarious. Super Bowl champs with scabs at each position.
Old 02-14-2011   #10
playa465
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 34069 playa465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respected

I voted during the preseason...Im not certain but I don't think players get regular paychecks during the offseason so right now they are strong. As we get closer I think the players will start to crack b/c of those 2nd and 3rd tier players who don't make a lot (in NFL terms) plus those free agents with no contracts. Either way its a mess and truly the game belongs to the fans because its all entertainment. Yes the players risk their bodies and the owners shell out big $$$ but without us none of them would get shiza
playa465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011   #11
z_man57
BBQ PitMaster

Rep Power: 0 z_man57 is a quality contributor and well respectedz_man57 is a quality contributor and well respectedz_man57 is a quality contributor and well respectedz_man57 is a quality contributor and well respectedz_man57 is a quality contributor and well respectedz_man57 is a quality contributor and well respectedz_man57 is a quality contributor and well respectedz_man57 is a quality contributor and well respectedz_man57 is a quality contributor and well respectedz_man57 is a quality contributor and well respectedz_man57 is a quality contributor and well respected

As a fan and season ticket holder I voted "Before the draft".

Positive thoughts...
z_man57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011   #12
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 311116 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

I voted week 1 - 3 of the regular season. There will have to be some pain felt by both sides before anything is done.

Now, what I would like to see is a total collapse of the NFL for this year and a rival league start up that gives it a challange. I would like to see fans pissed as hell and not buy tickets next year. I would like to see the NFL feel the pain of their arrogance, and that pain hurts them badly.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011   #13
GP 
Go Texans!

John Clayton's recent take:

Quote:
The next move in the collective bargaining talks belongs to the owners. And it probably will determine whether there will be a new deal that won't interrupt the football offseason as we know it.

All along, I have been optimistic that a deal can be done by March 15. The date is arbitrary, based mostly on the belief that both sides really want to get something done. The NFLPA lived up to the faith I had in both sides by making what I consider the perfect proposal. That offer of a 50-50 split of all revenues wasn't going to bring immediate harmony, but it showed what I thought all along -- that the players want to get a deal done.

In a Saturday meeting during Super Bowl week, both sides set aside two days a week through the end of the month to move the process. Although subcommittees from both sides have kept talking, the owners haven't changed their stance. In a business that grosses between $9 billion and $10 billion per year, the owners insist on receiving another $1 billion credit (they already receive $1 billion under the current CBA) for stadium financing and operating costs.

Even though they're not ready to make a deal, the owners need to make a counter that addresses their needs and acknowledges the movement of the players. No counter would show what players have feared for a long time -- that owners want to use a lockout to win the talks.

For everyone's sake, let's hope that's not the case.
Old 02-14-2011   #14
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 149846 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

A strike wouldn't surprise me.
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011   #15
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 266923 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

If the Union decertifies, all bets are off as to how long 32 court battles will delay the appearance of ever seeing another NFL game
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011   #16
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10049 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: When do you think the Labor Agreement will be finalized?

2 days a week? WTF is Smith doing the other 5 days a week to earn his (large) paycheck during a time of crisis?
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011   #17
Hoss
i need a beer..

Rep Power: 445 Hoss is a quality contributor and well respectedHoss is a quality contributor and well respectedHoss is a quality contributor and well respectedHoss is a quality contributor and well respectedHoss is a quality contributor and well respectedHoss is a quality contributor and well respectedHoss is a quality contributor and well respectedHoss is a quality contributor and well respectedHoss is a quality contributor and well respectedHoss is a quality contributor and well respectedHoss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Hoss

Week 3 no later...

*crossing fingers*

sig-False Start
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011   #18
z_man57
BBQ PitMaster

Rep Power: 0 z_man57 is a quality contributor and well respectedz_man57 is a quality contributor and well respectedz_man57 is a quality contributor and well respectedz_man57 is a quality contributor and well respectedz_man57 is a quality contributor and well respectedz_man57 is a quality contributor and well respectedz_man57 is a quality contributor and well respectedz_man57 is a quality contributor and well respectedz_man57 is a quality contributor and well respectedz_man57 is a quality contributor and well respectedz_man57 is a quality contributor and well respected

Before I have to pay for my Season Ticket (crossing fingers, toes and all other appendages capable of being crossed).
z_man57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011   #19
BetaV1
Veteran

Rep Power: 3509 BetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respected

I voted after OTA's but before training camp. A part of me is admittedly being hopeful with that vote, but it's the one I'm most optimistic for.

For the Texans sake, it needs to be done before camp. Unless someone can correct me, I'm fairly certain that if you're a player during the lockout, you can't even so much as look at a playbook. Imagine if a new agreement isn't reached until the season actually kicks off. We'd be going into the fire with virtually no preparation at all. While the defense will most certainly be better this season, it may not be by much unless a deal gets done and Wade gets a chance to work with these guys on the practice field.
BetaV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011   #20
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Not until these boneheads can set their pride aside, sit down to legitimate bargaining sessions without a side throwing a bitchfit and do whatever it takes to get a deal done. They both agreed to March 3rd so they should sit down night and day to get it done.

Will that happen? Hell no! Unless there's drastic change in mindset, we're screwed. YES, I SAID WE ARE SCREWED!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read