Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-12-2011   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 103984 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default AJ:Texans GM: 'this is my first exposure to a 3-4'

Quote:
Houston Texans GM Rick Smith was a guest of Marc and John on SportsRadio610 Thursday morning. If you're like me and wasn't able to hear the interview live, you can read the transcript provided by the staff at houstontexans.com (links below).

Smith discussed a number of topics and it was the typical GM-speak for the most part. But the following exchange caught my attention (specifically, what is underlined):

Radio host: "We’ve asked Wade Phillips numerous times about the 3-4 and how different Texans personnel members fit in, but your quick thoughts here on Mario Williams and Brian Cushing in that 3-4 defense, what they might look like?"

Rick Smith: “I am excited. I’m excited from a personal standpoint, guys, to be honest with you, because at Purdue, I played in the 4-3 defense. In Denver, we played the 4-3 defense, and here, we played (it). So I’ve grown up in a 4-3 defense and this is really my first exposure to a 3-4 from a personal standpoint. Obviously, we’ve watched it and studied it and understand it, but from the standpoint of us playing a 3-4, this is the first time.

So how's that make you feel Texans fans?

Kudos for being honest, Rick, but there's such a thing as too much information. Note to readers: he did say 'personal' not 'personnel.'

But what a deal. Here's a guy entering his sixth season as an NFL GM, presiding over operations of a football team that's gone 37-43 during his tenure, and he's taking '3-4 Defense 101' this semester.

I don't know about your company, but at mine, we don't have orientation or on-the-job training programs that extend to your sixth year of employment.

http://www.examiner.com/houston-texa...osure-to-a-3-4
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011   #2
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331852 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: AJ:Texans GM: 'this is my first exposure to a 3-4'

How's that make me feel? - like big whoop, not surprising and I assumed he was going to be relying heavily on Phillips for the transition.
Old 02-12-2011   #3
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 40960 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
How's that make me feel? - like big whoop, not surprising and I assumed he was going to be relying heavily on Phillips for the transition.
Yeah, I would rather he be honest than try to blow smoke. Hopefully, we have someone who knows what to look for in defensive players now.
Old 02-12-2011   #4
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96562 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

He's actually entering his 5th season as a NFL G.M.. but yeah, there's not a lot of confidence
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011   #5
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

There's probably many, many guys in important positions in the NFL including other GMs who have virtually no experience with the 3-4 defense, or for that matter many might be just as inexperienced with the 4-3 having worked almost exclusively in their career with the 3-4.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011   #6
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 63514 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not worried. It might even be a good thing. Giving Wade Phillips more decision making power for defensive personnel ensures that we're getting real change on this team.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011   #7
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 243703 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

If he steps back and lets Wade direct the defensive draft input, then it'll be fine. So in that scenario, his inexperience may be a good thing.
Old 02-12-2011   #8
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 253700 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

As with all offseasons, guess what? We'll just have to wait and see who's who and what's what.

Good luck to us Texans fans, because as always, we'll need it.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011   #9
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
If he steps back and lets Wade direct the defensive draft input, then it'll be fine. So in that scenario, his inexperience may be a good thing.
Yeah, it's sounds like Rick likely to let Wade direct the defensive draft input as well as FA. I feel much better if Rick lets Wade handle defensive side of decision/s.

Go Texans!!!
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011   #10
The Cush
All Pro

Rep Power: 2778 The Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans not being prepared for something...what else is new
The Cush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011   #11
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

This was mentioned in one gazillion threads about Wade/3-4 etc. Not saying anything that we did not already know.
Old 02-12-2011   #12
Lucky

Rep Power: 161176 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
He's actually entering his 5th season as a NFL G.M.. but yeah, there's not a lot of confidence
It's Smith's 5th draft, but he has been the Texans GM since June 2006. So 2011 (if there is a season) will be Smith's 6th as Texans GM.

I was able to listen to a portion of the interview. What gave me pause was Smith's suggestion that the scouts had to learn what to look for in a 3-4 defender. Maybe Smith should buy everyone in the organization a 3-4 Defense for Dummies DVD?

I can see this will work out just swell.
Old 02-12-2011   #13
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249442 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I kind of feel like going into something with zero experience doing it is basic Texans philosophy at this point. It's to be expected.

Just like I expect them to fall flat on their faces next year and then Chinese fire-drill around each other trying to figure out why their stupid approach to damn near everything they do didn't work for the 6th straight year!

Old 02-12-2011   #14
markn
All Pro

Rep Power: 26739 markn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cush View Post
The Texans not being prepared for something...what else is new
Our personnel department has drafted 7 of the last 8 first round picks for defense. Ultimately this has culminated in a defense which has redefined the definition of 'suck', with performance statistics that are historically bad.

Given that, perhaps being completely unprepared and ignorant to the scheme for which they are drafting for is the best possible scenario?
markn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011   #15
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 203861 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
It's Smith's 5th draft, but he has been the Texans GM since June 2006. So 2011 (if there is a season) will be Smith's 6th as Texans GM.

I was able to listen to a portion of the interview. What gave me pause was Smith's suggestion that the scouts had to learn what to look for in a 3-4 defender. Maybe Smith should buy everyone in the organization a 3-4 Defense for Dummies DVD?

I can see this will work out just swell.
What gives me more pause is that they evidently either didn't finish reading 4-3 Defense for Dummies or require an accompanying course to improve their reading comprehension.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011   #16
JimBaker488
Veteran

Rep Power: 106 JimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respected

The biggest problem with drafting guys for the 3-4, which includes DLine and
outside LB personnel, is that there are so few 3-4 systems in college. Personnel evaluators are therefor left in the uncomfortable position of having to "project" how for example, a smallish or "tweener" 4-3 college DE would play as a 3-4 outside backer in the NFL ? Texans fans know about that risk from the Texans first regime when Capers & Fangio payed a premium to move up and draft Jason Babin in the first round.
JimBaker488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011   #17
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 120726 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
What gives me more pause is that they evidently either didn't finish reading 4-3 Defense for Dummies or require an accompanying course to improve their reading comprehension.
Even scarier....they won't switch out the books, since they still have a 3 and a 4 on them. Cost Savings people!
Old 02-13-2011   #18
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Even less than whoop....

We've got people here with no experience picking the best fit for a 3-4 we don't fully understand (Wade's version).

How hard can it be?
Old 02-13-2011   #19
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Charlie Casserly sat in the 06 war room, Smith did not start as Texans GM until after the 2006 draft in June (draft is in April). So far Rick should be judged on his work 2007-2010 that's four drafts, 2011 would be his 5th here.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011   #20
Lucky

Rep Power: 161176 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Charlie Casserly sat in the 06 war room, Smith did not start as Texans GM until after the 2006 draft in June, draft is in April. So far Rick should be judged on his work 2007-2010 that's four drafts, 2011 would be his 5th here.
That's what I said.

Quote:
I'm certainly not giving Smith credit for the best draft (2006) in team history. If you're going to judge Smith strictly on drafts, I think you'd have to give him a grad of meh. But, he also should be graded on free agency, and ultimately, the teams record. In total, he should get a failing grade. Yet, he remains employed. Go figure.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read