Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 02-12-2011   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 138002 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default NFL strife could sack free agency in 2011

Quote:
NASHVILLE — Jason Babin has won the gamble he took by signing a one-year deal with Tennessee.

The defensive end racked up a career-high 12 1/2 sacks and earned his first Pro Bowl berth. But all his hard work may not pay off in a multimillion dollar deal.

NFL labour strife will likely mean Babin won’t be wined and dined on an owner’s private jet during free agency.

With the collective bargaining agreement expiring March 3, Babin and other would-be free agents face the very real possibility that they get ordered back to their old teams at the bargain basement price of 120 per cent of their last salary. Play another season, risk serious injury. And wait.

"That’s really scary to me," Babin said. "That definitely wouldn’t be good timing. Hey, there’s so many guys in a similar situation as myself with contracts expiring, it would be unfair practice and I think a lot would have a huge problem with it."

Babin has lots of company in facing this nightmare scenario.

More than 700 NFL players have contracts expiring with the labour deal, a group that includes players like Indianapolis running back Joseph Addai finishing up his fourth season in the league to Titans linebacker Stephen Tulloch who missed out on free agency in 2010 when rules for the final year of the CBA allowed Tennessee to keep him with a one-year deal.

How many years a player needs to reach free agency is something that could change in a new labour deal.

There are veterans like Titans quarterback Kerry Collins, who might to decide to retire after 16 NFL seasons. Tennessee fullback Ahmard Hall signed his first league deal as a free agent in 2006, and the former Marine is ready to capitalize on blocking for a 1,000-yard rusher in each of his five pro seasons.

Then there’s Babin.
http://thechronicleherald.ca/Sports/1227330.html
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011   #2
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55069 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: NFL strife could sack free agency in 2011

I think players like Babin who find themselves in the position he finds himself in are gonna be one of the primary components that are responsible for the 2011 regular season beginning on schedule. Oh I'm sure we'll have a lockout early in March, but I'm also confidant that there will be a new CBA before September, 2011.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011   #3
BetaV1
Veteran

Rep Power: 3509 BetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: NFL strife could sack free agency in 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
I think players like Babin who find themselves in the position he finds himself in are gonna be one of the primary components that are responsible for the 2011 regular season beginning on schedule. Oh I'm sure we'll have a lockout early in March, but I'm also confidant that there will be a new CBA before September, 2011.
Agreed.

EDIT: Wanted to add that I find it hilarious that a major reason behind the strike is the NFLPA's request of a better retirement package.

Quote:
The Falcons' Demorrio Williams is 26 years old.

On Monday night, he qualified for retirement.

Williams became fully vested in the NFL's pension system by playing in Atlanta's loss to the New Orleans Saints. Players get credited for a full season after being on the active roster (or on injured reserve or the physically unable to perform list) in three games.

And Monday's game was Williams' third of the season.

Williams is now guaranteed to receive at least $1,275 per month in today's dollars from the NFL Players Association pension fund starting on his 55th birthday. And his benefit grows with each season he plays, as do other features of the NFL's retirement plan: A player is eligible for an annuity after his fourth NFL season, and the league's 401(K) plan matches $2 for every $1 contributed.

The 10-year veteran who retired in 1998 would receive $51,000 a year, according NFL Players Association Web site.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_long_m...#ixzz1DmebzKbh
$51,000 a year? Social Security only pays for about $12k a year, plus whatever additional income you have via IRA or 401k. The more I'm hearing about the players demands, the more I begin to side with the NFL owners and Rodger Goodell.
BetaV1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read