Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 02-11-2011   #1
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Steve Smith (CAR) likely to be traded

Quote:
08:08 AM ET 02.11 | With an awful 2010 behind the Panthers, might they be turning to a future that doesn't include Steve Smith? Smith, who'll turn 32 this summer, discussed the possibility of being traded with team owner Jerry Richardson this past season, according to two league sources. ... While general manager Marty Hurney wouldn't discuss any private conversations the Panthers have had with Smith or his agent, he did acknowledge the team's star receiver is extremely frustrated. "I think Steve is probably not unlike everybody in the building ... he was not happy with 2-14," Hurney said.

Read more: http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_r...#ixzz1Dg2ej0dA
This couldn't be a better fit for the Texans. He's a highly talented deep threat with winning experience and a mean streak. Not only does he add a dimension (stretching the field) that this team is sorely lacking, he adds a quality to its character that is much needed.

The asking price can't be too high considering his age (32) and precedent (5th for Santonio Holmes). I'd be more than happy to give Carolina a 5th for him.
Old 02-11-2011   #2
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 51073 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary
Default Re: Steve Smith (CAR) likely to be traded

Trade for Smith and then sign Holmes or Edwards.
Old 02-11-2011   #3
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 37668 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
Trade for Smith and then sign Holmes or Edwards.
No thanks to Edwards or Holmes.

Holmes was traded for a 5th because of his suspension and bad attitude. I see Smith more valued as a 3rd rounder.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011   #4
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
This couldn't be a better fit for the Texans. He's a highly talented deep threat with winning experience and a mean streak. Not only does he add a dimension (stretching the field) that this team is sorely lacking, he adds a quality to its character that is much needed.

The asking price can't be too high considering his age (32) and precedent (5th for Santonio Holmes). I'd be more than happy to give Carolina a 5th for him.
I don't know how he would fit here.

He's a very good WR...great in fact...

But I don't think our QB fits with his skill set...JMO...

There is a reason that we tend to like bigger/possession type receivers...

How often have we actually utilized the deep speed of some of our receivers?
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011   #5
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

He's getting up there in age... I don't know if it was the fact that Carolina sucked in general or that they don't have good QB play, but he isn't the same Steve Smith that he used to be. With that said, I still think he's an good WR in the league and a threat on every play.

I'd have no problems bringing him in if the contract and trade is right, no barn buster. Smith hasn't just been good going deep, he's a threat after the catch and that's something we could use. Schaub can easily throw it to him close to the LOS and he'd find success. Smith can go over the middle. I think he easily fits this team.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011   #6
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

There are positions where you don't worry about 32 and then there are positions where it's an issue. With a WR 32 is something you want to take into consideration. Sure, you might be getting a guy who's going to play at a high level for 2-3 more years but more than likely you're looking at a guy who's going to turn "Eric Moulds" on you sooner rather than later.

The Texans don't always gamble on older players but when they do they seem to have a fixation on old guys in positions that don't age well like WR (Moulds), and RB (Green).

I think if Smith is running out of gas then he's probably a lock to be starting opposite Andre Johnson next season.
Old 02-11-2011   #7
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 125033 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post

How in the world does a QB fit the skill set of a WR or a WR not fit the skill set of the QB? Sorry, but you really got me on that one.

And for the record Matt Schaub has pretty much the exact same skill set that Jake Delhome has had throughout his entire career. Steve Smith could have looked way better had he had a better QB though. Steve Smith made Delhomme look much better than he actually was.

This will never happen though. Steve Smith is to high profile of a guy for the Texans and his character issues automatically exclude him. The Texans don't touch guys if even a speeding ticket is involved.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-11-2011   #8
Lucky

Rep Power: 181825 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

"I think Steve is probably not unlike everybody in the building ... he was not happy with 2-14," Hurney said.

If Smith is not happy with 2-14, why would he be giddy about 6-10? He's not a good blocker, and not a good fit for a WCO. Smith as a Texan makes little sense in any way.
Old 02-11-2011   #9
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 122341 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
"I think Steve is probably not unlike everybody in the building ... he was not happy with 2-14," Hurney said.

If Smith is not happy with 2-14, why would he be giddy about 6-10? He's not a good blocker, and not a good fit for a WCO. Smith as a Texan makes little sense in any way.
would still love to have him though
Old 02-11-2011   #10
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

On a subjective note: Maybe THE most overrated WR today. I'm serious. I can't stand this guy. He's a loud mouth, ticking time-bomb who pouts. He's the midget version of Randy Moss.

On a less subjective note, if there is ONE thing Matt Schaub has proven he has problems with...it's hitting a deep receiver IN STRIDE.

Steve Smith's calling card is running underneath the deep passes and catching them in stride and just blazing to the end zone. He isn't going to go up the ladder and grab passes like our current WRs do.

This would be perhaps one of the most totally incompatible pickups ever. He would absolutely KILL if he had Drew Brees as his QB, though--A quick-release QB who flings the ball downfield in accurate fashion.
Old 02-11-2011   #11
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 107872 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Draft Julio Jones
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011   #12
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
On a subjective note: Maybe THE most overrated WR today. I'm serious. I can't stand this guy. He's a loud mouth, ticking time-bomb who pouts. He's the midget version of Randy Moss.

On a less subjective note, if there is ONE thing Matt Schaub has proven he has problems with...it's hitting a deep receiver IN STRIDE.

Steve Smith's calling card is running underneath the deep passes and catching them in stride and just blazing to the end zone. He isn't going to go up the ladder and grab passes like our current WRs do.

This would be perhaps one of the most totally incompatible pickups ever. He would absolutely KILL if he had Drew Brees as his QB, though--A quick-release QB who flings the ball downfield in accurate fashion.
GP, love your work of late but we will agree to disagree here. I love Smith. You know what they did with him more than anything in Carolina...5-10 yard outs and then when he caught them he would turn it up field and run. Basically that is the only way they could get ot to him, even in his best years. Alot of his big plays were 5 yard patterns that turn into big plays through strength and speed. He is a guy that I don't think they will bring here but I think could fit Schaub.
Old 02-11-2011   #13
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
GP, love your work of late but we will agree to disagree here. I love Smith. You know what they did with him more than anything in Carolina...5-10 yard outs and then when he caught them he would turn it up field and run. Basically that is the only way they could get ot to him, even in his best years. Alot of his big plays were 5 yard patterns that turn into big plays through strength and speed. He is a guy that I don't think they will bring here but I think could fit Schaub.
Meh. I have seen him run the shorter routes, sure.

Let's keep the love between us, and just agree to disagree.
Old 02-11-2011   #14
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Meh. I have seen him run the shorter routes, sure.

Let's keep the love between us, and just agree to disagree.

You are doing great work now
Old 02-12-2011   #15
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 125033 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He has had issues in the past. He's a hot head with a temper, but his temper translates on the field at times which can be a positive as far as his production.

Quote:
With all due respect my friend, that's not true at all. Steve Smith is great at short routes. He's one of the only WR's in the league that I'd say can be effective on the short route passing game and the deep balls. He has the speed to burn defenders down the field and the quickness to beat guys at certain spots. He's great at going up and grabbing a ball as well. He's just short as hell and doesn't have the Andre Johnson/Calvin Johnson size, but that guy can leap and out muscle guys with ease. You don't remember that play he had against the Texans years ago where he broke like 9 tackles and punked our entire defense? One of the coolest plays I've ever seen from an offensive player. And remember he's never had a good QB to play with throughout his career. He made Jake Delhomme look good man. Him and Musin Muhammed in his earlier days camofloughed how average JD really was.

Quote:
We both know that the Texans wouldn't touch this guy with a ten foot pole. He'd be a nice addition to AJ though and he could be a good pick up on the right team if there's a good QB with an OC he likes. He's just not easy to deal with, but he's what I would call " a gamer" for sure. A guy that will come up big and play with a lot of heart if the coaching staff has everyone disciplined. I don't think that Gary Kubiak would be the right coach for him though. Todd Haley would probably be perfect.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011   #16
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
How in the world does a QB fit the skill set of a WR or a WR not fit the skill set of the QB? Sorry, but you really got me on that one.
Matt Schaub is a good WCO QB.

He makes good reads and he takes control of the offense.

If you look at the Colts and Patriots offenses, they tend to have smaller type receivers.

It's JMO, but I don't think Schaub would do as well with those same type of receivers. Our offense isn't built for that, and Matt doesn't throw the type of balls often enough for them to be successful. There is a reason that the Texans covet bigger possession type receivers.

If you look at the Eagles, they run a version of the WCO, but because Vick has a rocket arm (and his accuracy has gotten better), they can take advantage of their WR's speed.

Our offense is built more towards WR's running good routes and "bodying" up on DB's...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011   #17
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15340 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

With Aj opposite at WR and Schaub throwing the ball, he'd easily be the most dangerous #2 WR in the league. We simply would have too many weapons on offense for him NOT to flourish.
Old 02-12-2011   #18
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 243112 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post

It's pretty sad that for so many years the Texans have said that we needed a true #2 receiver that could "spread the field" opposite AJ. Now we're talking about someone who fits that description, but we're worried that our QB can't throw the ball far enough to take advantage of the vertical spread.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011   #19
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Anyone bothered to look at his contract? Per Rotoworld:

Quote:
5/8/2007: Signed a six-year, $43.85 million contract. The deal included a $9.3 million signing bonus, a $6 million roster bonus in the second year, and a $2 million roster bonus in the third. 2011: $7 million, 2012: $7.75 million, 2013: Free Agent
This guy is good, but not 7 million dollars good. Plenty of other FA WRs out there for cheaper that would be better. Santana Moss, Santonio Holmes, Braylon Edwards, Vincent Jackson, Steve Smith NYG, Sidney Rice, Malcom Floyd, Steve Breaston... I would much rather see them give that kind of money to a younger guy with potential like Jackson or Rice.
Old 02-12-2011   #20
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 90450 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Anyone bothered to look at his contract? Per Rotoworld:

This guy is good, but not 7 million dollars good. Plenty of other FA WRs out there for cheaper that would be better. Santana Moss, Santonio Holmes, Braylon Edwards, Vincent Jackson, Steve Smith NYG, Sidney Rice, Malcom Floyd, Steve Breaston... I would much rather see them give that kind of money to a younger guy with potential like Jackson or Rice.

I would love to have Jackson here.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read